• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gemma

Gemma and the Neverending Re-Spawn

I am SO GLAD to hear you're falling in love with the gym again - and love that you're keeping sane with protein goals - a little under 120 g some days certainly won't kill anyone's gainz (none of us are competing for an Olympia title here). And I love the way you're approaching "we're not calling it active recovery because nobody talks about active recovery" activity - especially the mixture of yoga and walking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today's lessons -

The type of training that I have mostly engaged in for the past couple of years included basically ZERO abdominal exercises.

Today I sort of died.

Also, my balance is really bad on lunges. Very, very bad. I'm a Warrior Weeble.

giphy.gif

1d64a12f6e5a11334e530d608711e804.jpg

In happier news, the deadlifts were a *little* bit easier than I expected, I'll go a bit heavier on these next week.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Today's lessons -

The type of training that I have mostly engaged in for the past couple of years included basically ZERO abdominal exercises.

Today I sort of died.

Also, my balance is really bad on lunges. Very, very bad. I'm a Warrior Weeble.

giphy.gif

1d64a12f6e5a11334e530d608711e804.jpg

In happier news, the deadlifts were a *little* bit easier than I expected, I'll go a bit heavier on these next week.

Well, the Weeble wobbles, but they don't fall down. Sounds like you're still ahead of the curve.

Image result for weebles wobble gif

What is DP? In the terms of the deadlift, you dirty minded people.

Aren't all goblet squats constant tension?

I would laugh if my core didn't hurt so bad from the weird ass hanging leg raises I did tuesday, but I see that you did the SAME THING I did on Monday with core stuff. Mostly, I did regular planks instead of side, but still, coreidarity.

That's a really weird rest period on the alternating lunges. Also, do you know why you were falling over?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

That's a really weird rest period on the alternating lunges. Also, do you know why you were falling over?

I'm going to guess gravity was a heavy factor.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

What is DP? In the terms of the deadlift, you dirty minded people.

DP = Double progression? Or .. Dual Progression? Whatevs. In NiaShanksLand it means progress by increasing your reps up to a certain point - in this case, 6 heavier/10 lighter - and then increase the weight. Common thing to do, I just don't think most trainers have a special initialism for it. 

Aren't all goblet squats constant tension?

She means pauseless - up down up down "like a piston" 

I would laugh if my core didn't hurt so bad from the weird ass hanging leg raises I did tuesday, but I see that you did the SAME THING I did on Monday with core stuff. Mostly, I did regular planks instead of side, but still, coreidarity.

I did some core nonsense on Monday, with regular planks and reverse crunches, but these side planks were So Much Worse. Serves me right for neglecting them all these months, I suppose.

My balance is crap, and my legs are weak in comparison to my upper body. I don't know if there is a specific reason beyond that. I've always struggled with unilateral leg stuff. I wasn't really falling over - as you pointed out, just ... Wobbling. 

3 minutes ago, Gemma said:

My balance is crap, and my legs are weak in comparison to my upper body. I don't know if there is a specific reason beyond that. I've always struggled with unilateral leg stuff. I wasn't really falling over - as you pointed out, just ... Wobbling. 

people that do fancy balance stuff might have better tools for this, but I've always liked to step by step through a lunge or reverse lunge and figure out where my weak point(s) is, and troubleshoot that. IE, you have problems with the step back into the lunge, but not the down and up movement itself. For me what I practiced was single leg balancing and slowly working my leg farther out, almost like I was practicing 1 leg DB RDLs. It helped immensely.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Grumble said:

people that do fancy balance stuff might have better tools for this, but I've always liked to step by step through a lunge or reverse lunge and figure out where my weak point(s) is, and troubleshoot that. IE, you have problems with the step back into the lunge, but not the down and up movement itself. For me what I practiced was single leg balancing and slowly working my leg farther out, almost like I was practicing 1 leg DB RDLs. It helped immensely.

That is super systematic and process-driven. Wow. I was just going with the haphazard "hey maybe if I just keep doing it one day I'll magically stop sucking at it" approach, but your way sounds much efficienter. 

13 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Seems fancy way of saying goblet squats. Those are normal ones to me. Like regular squats, unless you have to reset for some reason you don't stop

• Like 1

Friday observations:

I previously mentioned the span of time in which I have done no abdominal training. In that same time frame, I have also rarely if ever attempted sets of more than 5 to 6 reps at medium-to-heavy-for-me weights.

Hi, my name is Gemma and I’m a recovering Rippetonian.*

Consequence: when I attempt sets at a very low weight, relatively high reps, and short rest periods, I accumulate fatigue very, very quickly.

(This fatigue/low muscular endurance may or may not also be related to the fact that I am 52 years old, which I sometimes forget.)

I. Am. Tired. But it’s still fun :)

437c2922380c685f594feab38343d01e.jpg

*footnote: I have nothing at all against Rippetoe or his philosophy-o-iron, and my former Starting Strength coach is still one of my favorite humans ever. I just feel like by focusing exclusively on that for as long as I did, I may have left a couple of important pieces out of my personal puzzle. Of course my habit of frequently injuring myself didn’t help either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Friday observations:

I previously mentioned the span of time in which I have done no abdominal training. In that same time frame, I have also rarely if ever attempted sets of more than 5 to 6 reps at medium-to-heavy-for-me weights.

Oh crap. This describes me.

8 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Consequence: when I attempt sets at a very low weight, relatively high reps, and short rest periods, I accumulate fatigue very, very quickly.

Double crap. I think I need to start doing the things I am not doing. Like abs and other core muscles, and high reps with low weight. There's got to be a good program out there somewhere that can do this for me. *stares intently at the workout log photos in this thread* Hmmm....

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gemma said:

36 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Double crap. I think I need to start doing the things I am not doing. Like abs and other core muscles, and high reps with low weight. 

Lower weights. Not low weights. I feel like this should be stressed. If you can lift 100 lbs for 5 reps, then you can reasonably be expected to lift 65-70 lbs for 8-10 reps. 

43 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

There's got to be a good program out there somewhere that can do this for me. *stares intently at the workout log photos in this thread* Hmmm....

That one is built for Gemma, I think. 

I've got some recommendations to look at, but what do you think you want to achieve? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gemma said:

(This fatigue/low muscular endurance may or may not also be related to the fact that I am 52 years old, which I sometimes forget.)

Me too, except I've been doing a mix of low and medium rep ranges for a while now (everything from 2 to 12). The higher ranges (around 10) remain brutal. Also, the tiny amount of jogging we do at taekwondo remains difficult and unpleasant. Apparently heavy lifting and walking everywhere just haven't made me an endurance athlete. Shocking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Lower weights. Not low weights. I feel like this should be stressed. If you can lift 100 lbs for 5 reps, then you can reasonably be expected to lift 65-70 lbs for 8-10 reps. 

Truth. I was mostly talking about the small accessories, not anything I could get anywhere near 100lbs for. E.g. I can do dumbbell lat raises with 15 lbs for at least 6-8 reps, but when she asked me to shoot for a 20RM I *guessed* that maybe I could get close to that with 8# dumbbells. My deltoids were begging for mercy way before I got to 20.

That one is built for Gemma, I think. 

Not sure what you mean by this, it wasn't like - written *specifically* for me personally, I just bought a pre-packaged program from an internet coach/fitness writer/trainer who I respect and whose overall philosophy resonates with me. I actually bought and started this one back in September, but Florence happened after my second workout and I just got nagged nudged into picking it back up again.

I purchased and had success other programs from this same writer before I started working with an SS coach, but this is my first time back in the world of her programming in a couple of years.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Fine, fine, if you want to get all picky about semantics... :P

Lower, not low. And more reps than I do now.

32 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I've got some recommendations to look at, but what do you think you want to achieve? 

I'll have to get back to you on that, I just started thinking about this the other day. I definitely feel like there are some muscle groups that are somewhat neglected by my current program, such as abs, biceps and triceps, calves to some extent... plus, I'm starting to want some variety. My Progression app has a number of programs preloaded, and I am thinking of just picking one of them and modify it. Due to various injuries through the years, there are some exercises I just refuse to do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Fine, fine, if you want to get all picky about semantics... :P

Lower, not low. And more reps than I do now.

Semantics are one of my favorite things. 

2 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I'll have to get back to you on that, I just started thinking about this the other day. I definitely feel like there are some muscle groups that are somewhat neglected by my current program, such as abs, biceps and triceps, calves to some extent... plus, I'm starting to want some variety. My Progression app has a number of programs preloaded, and I am thinking of just picking one of them and modify it. Due to various injuries through the years, there are some exercises I just refuse to do.

This is where you learn to do substitutions. I'd much rather prefer a less effective exercise that will still get me where I want to go vs a mor effective one that will hurt. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Grumble said:

This is where you learn to do substitutions. I'd much rather prefer a less effective exercise that will still get me where I want to go vs a more effective one that will hurt. 

Exactly, that's the type of modifications I had in mind. :)

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 6:24 PM, Gemma said:

Like muscle, balance is the result of stimulus, and one of the things we unfortunately lose as we age. The good news is that like muscle, it's easy to build or regain with regular practice! All the stuff you're doing will help increase your proprioception, and the more methodical you are with all those things (like how Grumble said) the better return you'll get from it, just a matter of putting in the time and falling over a bit. (I do that all the time :lol: I'm on a wobbly unilateral kick atm after a few seasons of being away from it.) Upping that core strength will help a lot, and utilizing things like birdog progressions that train balance and core together is a good way of getting the pieces to work together. 

On 4/5/2019 at 10:31 AM, Gemma said:

Or because it's cardio? :P 

On 4/5/2019 at 10:31 AM, Gemma said:

*footnote: I have nothing at all against Rippetoe or his philosophy-o-iron, and my former Starting Strength coach is still one of my favorite humans ever. I just feel like by focusing exclusively on that for as long as I did, I may have left a couple of important pieces out of my personal puzzle. Of course my habit of frequently injuring myself didn’t help either.

I originally started lifting with SS and truly... I'm not really much of a Rippletoe fan. Looking for more of a well balanced meal as it were, and training theory that better addressed female issues, was the reason I started studying programming and ended up where I'm at now. I do love me some Nia Shanks!!!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

I’m exhausted. But I’m also really glad that I’m doing this now, because it is definitely pointing out weaknesses in endurance and in unilateral work that my previous “programming-lite” approach had rendered easy to ignore.

Week 3 wrap-up:

Writing: 6/7 - every day except Friday

Walking: 5 points. Just intentionally walking from the far end of the grocery parking lot and to the furthest water fountain/head actually works, better than I thought it would.

Protein: 5/7, but it was hard. I did even more meal prep this weekend (boneless skinless thighs in the Instant Pot, easy button!) to get brekkie, lunch, and snacks onto autopilot.

Total for week, 16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

I’m exhausted. But I’m also really glad that I’m doing this now, because it is definitely pointing out weaknesses in endurance and in unilateral work that my previous “programming-lite” approach had rendered easy to ignore.

Exhausted and glad. I'll call that an unadulterated success.

• Like 1

Huzzah for good work on walking and protein! And love that the unilateral work is doing its job - I noticed that as well when I started doing programming with more unilateral stuff!

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 7:26 AM, Gemma said:

Yeah... deep down I know I should be doing unilateral stuff. But it's so unpleasant. How do you do the split squat - other leg out to the side, or up on a bench? 

• Like 2