Snarky: Grateful, Worthy, Whole

Snarkyfishguts

23 hours ago, Tova the Vibrant said:

You're kicking butt already!

I find organizing craft supplies to be very comforting. Or reorganizing my bookcase.  

I LOVE organizing my bookcase! Mine is Hobbies and How-Tos by subject, then Picture Books by Author, General Fiction by Author, then series by shelf space left. So the Wheel of Time fits PERFECTLY on a shelf, and I'm currently collecting this middle-grade fiction from the UK by Robin Stevens of Wells and Wong Detective Society. They have awesome titles like Murder Most Unladylike. They've been published in the US under different titles (Murder is Bad Manners) but I prefer the UK versions and the covers make a very pretty rainbow. :D

How do you organize your shelves?

I'm feeling a lot better today. 

So the first few days of this challenge were REALLY challenging, and I got through it with a LOT OF CAKE. 

Seriously. So much cake. Or cookies. Or brownies. I basically ate a bakery, and then gained 7 pounds. No regrets. This was an unusual week. But I did wake up ready to eat a vegetable again. And I thought this is a good reminder that when things are difficult, I can already have healthy habits established. Maybe not for stuff like this, but for things like visiting relatives, and traveling, and stress that is more a part of my life. :)

This weekend I am going to clean the house. Everything is cluttered from me not dealing with anything in the last week. So I'm going to put on some music, and really just take my time and enjoy the transformation of cluttered to tidy and clean. I'm also going to look and see what's in my cupboards and plan some meals. I may be doing some TV dinners again, but they're better than cake :D 

My folks are returning from their sunny getaway next weekend, and I'm looking forward to having them home. It's always an adjustment to them being home again, and they tend to be defensive, by saying "We Like living THIS way now" and I say "Okay, that's cool!" and then they say "STOP BEING DEFENSIVE" which makes me defensive of course. (head shaking) I'm used to it by now though. I've mastered the balance of having things ready for them to claim their space again and get settled.

((hugs)) Off to clean things! Have a great day!

• Like 4

Okay, so I am still sad, and I am still just struggling! 

Here we go.

1.today I am grateful for friendships, for weekends off, and for the warm bed I am currently in.

one thing I appreciate about my strong bod is that I feel good when I’m moving, 

my goal to live fit today is to do at least one set. Just to get started on the schedule again, and push through this major pit of blah.

2. Today my something productive is to pick up all the fallen sticks and branches in the yard and carry them to the fire pit. 

3. My something fun is going to be crocheting a washcloth.

I think I need to really get a lot done this weekend around the house. Too much Flash  and videogames and internet, and not enough boxes getting checked off. So I am going to take advantage of having the while weekend off and just get lost in housework for a bit. I am doing that thing when I am waiting for one thing to be over, and Thats how I stay fat and unhealthy. So lets get moving! 

Which means getting out of bed, blaaaaaaaah. I’ll check in again tonight:love_heart:

• Like 4

oooh I am hungover today.

yes I am. 

that was a mistake.

The yard is cleaned up, and the house is looking pretty good too. I'm mostly caught up with everything which is pretty great. Being hungover isn't great, but I had a good time. I started going down self-critical spiral of "stupid stupid Snarky" and I just let it go. It was a mistake, that's all. a hot shower, a nap, and several glasses of water later, I'm feeling better. 

So a headache remains (shrugs) I can do better

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I had a good time

This is the most important part. Besides: being hangover on a Sunday isn't so bad, just take it easy :)

• Haha 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

On 3/22/2019 at 9:20 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

How do you organize your shelves?

Mine's not super fancy, but it is organized! 

Row 1: my favorite books of all time, cookbooks, wine books, and travel/outdoor books

Row 2: adorable pep talk like books, my books to be read, hubby's favorite books, hubby's books

Row 3: Classics/Italian books, meditation space, spiritual/self help books (several of which are on my bed side table right now), more hubby's books

IMG_3311.thumb.JPG.efdb4dfb4bd619910b4b0d027d81abde.JPG

Weird purplish light is LED lights for our little houseplants :)

What I notice from your posts is that you recognize the decisions that you make (for better or for worse) and then jump right back in moving forward. Rock on!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Gnome |  Druid/Ranger | Level

2021 Goals: Hour walk without pain | Freestanding headstand | Back squat Tiny Human's weight
Goodreads

1 hour ago, Tova the Vibrant said:

Mine's not super fancy, but it is organized! 

Row 1: my favorite books of all time, cookbooks, wine books, and travel/outdoor books

Row 2: adorable pep talk like books, my books to be read, hubby's favorite books, hubby's books

Row 3: Classics/Italian books, meditation space, spiritual/self help books (several of which are on my bed side table right now), more hubby's books

IMG_3311.thumb.JPG.efdb4dfb4bd619910b4b0d027d81abde.JPG

Weird purplish light is LED lights for our little houseplants :)

What I notice from your posts is that you recognize the decisions that you make (for better or for worse) and then jump right back in moving forward. Rock on!

I LOVE your bookcase! That is super nice. And I like the boxes on the bottom. It feels tidy and comfortable! Do the lamps keep the plants warm or do they provide light in a dim setting?  I recently bought shade loving succulents that only need watered once a month. That is my plant care capabilities at the moment :D 

Thanks a LOT for sharing your observation. I'm often too close to be objective. Thank you!. :) 

I reached a conclusion this morning, and Tova the Vibrant really cemented it for me. My inner critic is an asshat, and while I am still caring for my positive thinking like a baby plant that has grown through the ashes of negativity*, I'm still giving that negative thought train a LOT of room to bash around. 

I really felt like I was behind on everything. That it's been a month since I worked out, that the house was going to fall down into rubble, and that I haven't accomplished anything all winter. But the reality is, the house is fine. There's probably a coffee cup in each room I sit and read in, and a pile of blankets in the basement where I've been watching The Flash. No signs of rubble. And it's been a week since I worked out, but I was struggling. And I worked out today! CORE day! 2 sets! Also, I've been drawing more and making notes for a novel. I also had a couple of paid gigs this winter, and I traveled! So I really have done a lot more than hiding in the house. 

Alright, so this is my official remember to ask "What's the Reality of the Situation?" and it's not as catastrophic as my inner critic makes it out to be.

*omg teenage me would be so proud of this line. :)

• Like 4
23 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

But the reality is, the house is fine. There's probably a coffee cup in each room I sit and read in, and a pile of blankets in the basement where I've been watching The Flash. No signs of rubble. And it's been a week since I worked out, but I was struggling. And I worked out today! CORE day! 2 sets! Also, I've been drawing more and making notes for a novel. I also had a couple of paid gigs this winter, and I traveled! So I really have done a lot more than hiding in the house. 

A great change in perspective.  I think all inner critics are asshats!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

I’ve had a migraine for the last couple days. I felt better this morning, it just felt sensitive, so I did storytime, and BAM. There was one point where I felt light headed and my feet felt like they were stuck in mud. The daycare next door brought ten kids over, and they’re just loud and LOUD. At one point, some of the baby moms were looking at me, and My head was swimming and I said “okay everyone take a deep breath in! Amd now breathe out. Amd we did deep breathing four times. And the room was quiet and we read our final book pretty peacefully. I have never had to do a “CHILL THE EFF OUT KIDS” exercise like that before. I think I may read some more ideas. 

I am officially a volunteer at the library now. Which makes me really happy. Not getting paid to be there puts the library firmly in the “I dont give a shit “ category. So I have more fun while I’m there. 

Thanks for letting me vent. I’m gonna go plunge into a dark room again. See you tomorrow!

• Like 4
On 3/25/2019 at 6:52 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

and it's not as catastrophic as my inner critic makes it out to be.

Yes! Let that inner critic ramble, the more you pay attention to it, the more it grows. 

9 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

My head was swimming and I said “okay everyone take a deep breath in! Amd now breathe out. Amd we did deep breathing four times. And the room was quiet and we read our final book pretty peacefully. I have never had to do a “CHILL THE EFF OUT KIDS” exercise like that before. I think I may read some more ideas

Wow, nice save! What I let my kids do when they get too worked up is to blow through their fist. Make a fist and put the side with the thumb against their mouth and blow as long as you can. Not only are they taking long deep breaths, they are also more aware of their breath as they feel it pass through their hand. 

There are also books with child meditations, but they are a bit more suitable for kids age 6 and up. Kids yoga is also a great one to make them relax. I've got a box with yoga poses for kids, each pose resembles an animal and most poses aren't static. They love it and they get more calm and focused. And those are also suitable for smaller kids. 

• Like 1
Spoiler

4 hours ago, Terah said:

Yes! Let that inner critic ramble, the more you pay attention to it, the more it grows. 

Wow, nice save! What I let my kids do when they get too worked up is to blow through their fist. Make a fist and put the side with the thumb against their mouth and blow as long as you can. Not only are they taking long deep breaths, they are also more aware of their breath as they feel it pass through their hand. 

There are also books with child meditations, but they are a bit more suitable for kids age 6 and up. Kids yoga is also a great one to make them relax. I've got a box with yoga poses for kids, each pose resembles an animal and most poses aren't static. They love it and they get more calm and focused. And those are also suitable for smaller kids. 

Great suggestions! :love_heart:

• Like 1

Nothing like the threat of company to make you want to finish up those lingering chores, right? My cousin is coming over Friday for movie night. It’s extra motivation to finish up dusting and vacuuming and laundry. 

my head is still a bit sensitive, so I’m going to take my time today. 

I’ve lost my motivation to work out. I think I may sit down and come up with some more immediate “whys” to keep me going through.

• Like 4

One of my favorite books I've come across this year is called "This Moment Is Your Life" (Mariam Gates). It's yoga, breathing exercises, and meditation geared toward later elementary/middle school kids. I loved it, especially the adorable illustrations. It would be easy to for littler ones to follow the exercises, too.

Migraines are the worst. I hope you feel better soon!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Gnome |  Druid/Ranger | Level

2021 Goals: Hour walk without pain | Freestanding headstand | Back squat Tiny Human's weight
Goodreads

On 3/27/2019 at 9:46 AM, Tova the Vibrant said:

One of my favorite books I've come across this year is called "This Moment Is Your Life" (Mariam Gates). It's yoga, breathing exercises, and meditation geared toward later elementary/middle school kids. I loved it, especially the adorable illustrations. It would be easy to for littler ones to follow the exercises, too.

Migraines are the worst. I hope you feel better soon!

I can't seem to shake this one. It's been going on for days and each morning is a fight to get it to just a headache level. 

Checking in... my head still hurts.thankfully it feels better, but still sore. 

The last two weeks were hard, but it’s not a reflection of my worth or work ethic. And I need to stop viewing challenges as a pass/fail. This isnt a test, its a tool to help me succeed, and having that all or nothng mindset will always make me feel like a failure because I cant control every variable i come across. And I can’t hide from potential bad things happening. 

Blarg. I hate being sick though :) 

• Like 4
22 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Checking in... my head still hurts.thankfully it feels better, but still sore. 

The last two weeks were hard, but it’s not a reflection of my worth or work ethic. And I need to stop viewing challenges as a pass/fail. This isnt a test, its a tool to help me succeed, and having that all or nothng mindset will always make me feel like a failure because I cant control every variable i come across. And I can’t hide from potential bad things happening. 

Blarg. I hate being sick though :) 

Glad you're feeling a little better. I hope you will be back in in full force soon!

• Thanks 1
Spoiler

I have a cold! 

WHAT IS HAPPENING? 

I actually know the answer to this one. Too much stress, poor diet, and not enough exercise. AND, exposure to boogers from storytime kids. 

Its honestly not bad as far as colds go. MAYBE thats because I slept for eleven hours and took nyquil. :) I’m going out to dinner tonight with friends, which I DONT WANT TO DO, but I missed out wednesday on seeing them because of a migraine, amd I missed out today because of my cold, so razzle-frazzle I better go, especially since half the group are out of towners. Razzle frazzle frumple dumple!

And I hate the diner we’re going to. Its actually a must-go to place in the city, but I dont really enjoy any of the food there. Because I am CRANKY.

Tomorrow Night I am picking up my folks from the airport, and I am glad they are coming home. I missed them.  If I feel good tomorrow I’m gonna work out. And if I dont, I’m gonna sleep a lot again and let my body fight off the snot bots.

thanks for letting me crab about everthing

• Like 2

Feel better soon! And I hope your friends will reduce your crankyness a bit <4 

• Like 1
Spoiler

My parents are back and the house feels complete again. It's too big a space for just me. It needs them in it.

I saw a posting for a job that pays quite a bit in my old field student affairs. $71000-$95000 annually. Do I want to try for it? I feel myself weighing pros and cons and wondering if I would find satisfaction in the work or if I just feel like I need to go back and prove I'm not a victim after my horrible experience. Maybe where I'm at is good enough. Maybe I can prove I'm fine by succeeding in illustration even if will pay less. :)

I'm going to prepare my resume and cover letter and think about it for a while. Applying doesn't mean accepting the job.  What do you think? 

• Like 5