• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Week One, 3/19 and 3/20.

Tuesday was an utter failure on all three bending subtypes, but I feel like I did manage something impressive. I was having a major freak out over things, and was texting my friend, and even though I was feeling like I was completely alone and no one would have any time for me, I asked if she wanted to get together.  So at 8pm I left the house (after helping Mr. Longstockings get weeStockings to sleep) and went and shared a pitcher of beer and a plate of fried stuff with a friend, and was more honest than I've been in a while. 

So while it wasn't the healthiest occasion (beer and fried in a bowling alley bar), it still felt like not a bad self-care moment otherwise.

Wednesday is so busy! I made the last hamantaschen for Purim and got them mostly delivered, went and ran some D&D 3.5 for a bunch of teenagers, and made it to the big Purim party tonight. I'm home now, and cleaned the cat box and made a big, bagged, shredded cabbage salad. So I'm just catching up on posting here before eating two servings of it,  doing some Tai chi, meditating for five minutes,and falling into bed.

20190319_104311.jpg

• Like 2

What is the bread like on those Hamantaschen? I see some at the grocery store and can't decide if I'll like them or not (our grocery store is across the street from a Jewish Center, so there's always a huge spread this time of year for passover. I guess the Hamantaschen got lumped in with that.

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

What is the bread like on those Hamantaschen? I see some at the grocery store and can't decide if I'll like them or not (our grocery store is across the street from a Jewish Center, so there's always a huge spread this time of year for passover. I guess the Hamantaschen got lumped in with that.

I often don't think the cookie part is very good. This recipe is a very delicate butter cookie. It made them fiddly to make, but tastes crumbly and lovely. I didn't have enough of any one thing to make the dilling, so it's raisin's cooked down in some brown sugar bourbon with cinnamon, chopped walnuts, and applesauce and chia. It held really well and was tasty. Poppy seeds are very traditional,  so I put them in the cookie.

Next year, I'm going to try to start earlier, and make a batch of savory ones, too- kind of a triangular pasty.

• Like 2

Good for you taking time to get together with your friend to unwind. Self-care is important, and so often gets cut first when a person gets busy.

The Hamantaschen look and sound amazing. Also like a lot of work. You did All The Things yesterday.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mistr said:

Good for you taking time to get together with your friend to unwind. Self-care is important, and so often gets cut first when a person gets busy.

The Hamantaschen look and sound amazing. Also like a lot of work. You did All The Things yesterday.

I have to make sure I don't take advantage of "self-care" to always be beer, fried stuff, and country music. Bit every once in a while, it's good.

I found out some things about her I did. Not. Know.

O_o

• Like 1

I got some Hamentaschen from the store, i didn't care for the cookie part either. I had to look up the story behind the cookies. When you said they were for Purim I zeroed in on the "Haman" part of it but had to look up taschen. This goy isn't too up on his Yiddish. 

• Like 1

WEEK ONE. 3/21

Long day today. Working food service is more exhausting than I remember.  Maybe it's busier, maybe I'm still learning, maybe I'm older. But man oh man, does a four and a half hour shift knock me right out.

Anyway, afterwards I had a great dinner f fish and carrots so that's 1/2 of my plantbending goal. I also practiced my Tai Chi (barefoot, on the slightly cold stone of a backyard patio, heaven). Late and I'm tired, so I'm going to get ready for bed, do my meditation, and pass right out.

Thanks for the support, everyone. I'm doing OK and trying to really celebrate that, and also some of the other things I'm doing well, like weaving stuff for my friends, taking care of my garden, having a great time with my son, and getting stronger a little bit at a time.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I got some Hamentaschen from the store, i didn't care for the cookie part either. I had to look up the story behind the cookies. When you said they were for Purim I zeroed in on the "Haman" part of it but had to look up taschen. This goy isn't too up on his Yiddish. 

There's a filled cookie from west-central Europe that was popular in the middle ages and called "Mohntaschen" or poppyseed pockets (or something like that). The "Hamantaschen" name is probably a pun, and now that version is more famous than the older inspiration. I learned that they were to represent Haman''s three cornered hat (was he an ancient Persian pirate?) Or his ears (he was hanged, why would his ears be relevant?) Or his purse, stuffed with coins because he took bribes to get to his position (poppyseed are round like coins?)

• Like 1

WEEK ONE, 3/22 and 3/23

Friday I spent all day with a friend, weaving, drinking tea, and watching movies.  I did go to Tai Chi at nighr, and came home expecting to have a quiet night in. I was washing and prepping lettuce for salads this week when Mr. Longstockings said some of our friends were blowing up the chat saying they were going out, and I should too. His neck had a dreadful pinch, and he just wanted to rest. So I headed out for beer again. Stayed up way too late but did manage a small salad alongside nachos, so even with the peppers and tomatoes,I'm only counting that as 1 veg for Plantbending. Got to bed super late. Managed to do several minutes of guided breathing before bed.

Plant bending 1/2

Waterbending ☆

Cloud bending ☆

Saturday I woke up despite the night before, hydrated and took care of weeStockings before my class. I clarified some of the 1st half of the 24 form Tai Chi, but didn't move forward I to the second half. But I got to work with one of my favorite black sashes, so I'm happy.

Dinner at my dad and stepdad''s was very veggie pizza and a lovely salad. The pizza crust was apparently half low fat Greek yoghurt and half self-raising flour. I may need to look into it. It wasn't crispy, but it was pretty good.

Plant bending ☆

Waterbending ☆

Cloud bending ☆ (after I take out my contacts, brush teeth, take pills, etc.)

Considering getting the Calm app subscription. It's a little steep if I have to pay it all at once, but I can handle $5 a month. I need to check how payment goes.

I really love Tai Chi.

• Like 2

WEEK ONE 3/24

Had a nice sleep in with weeStockongs, then took him to a big indoor playplace/kids' gym because of the rain.

I had salad for lunch and dinner, and after he went to bed, went thru the first half of 24 form Tai chi,  meditated 10 minutes and went to bed. 

20190324_110854.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Toshimi said:

That looks like fun!

It is! It's also a lot of work to keep up with him - he wants so badly to play in the big kids' area, so I need to follow him through to help him up and down things.

So that's some good workout for me!

WEEK TWO

Monday 3/25

I've been feeling REALLY on and off today. I've been eating salad constantly of all that romaine I cut and washed earlier. Two servings for lunch, because I felt so mehhhhhhh that I fed myself greens so I'd feel like I did something good today. 

In the morning I made banana bread and cleaned the cat box.

I did feel great measuring out and marking a ground cloth to make a thing for camping with the SCA. Got to do some painting in the garage. 

Then I told myself I'd better do some looking for jobs, and started an application to get on the substitute list and only got a bit in when I froze and felt hopeless and 

I'm stopping because I'm getting upset again. Anyway, I got about halfway through and saved the application. Then I did my hammer workout and cleaned the jogging stroller that a friend dropped off. 

When I write it all down, it does feel like I did a lot. I just feel like I make myself guilty by doing things that aren't strictly neccesary (making banana bread,  doing crafting for the SCA, even though it is part of my household quest), while I want a job that I really want to go to.

I also tried a new headwrap, it's a lot taller than I usually do, but I think I like it?

So far:

Plant bending ☆

Waterbending ☆

Cloud bending (before bed)

Added before bedtime ritual : broccoli and homegrown baby spinach in scalloped potatoes for dinner. Qigong and Calm before bed.

1553556473912-930290310.jpg

1553556522766-1951100175.jpg

• Like 1

Right now, the beautiful little man I made is curled up on my lap under a blanket made for me by wonderful family and is eating banana bread I made from all the leftover half bananas he leaves in his wake (I freeze them).

I do okay. I do pretty well, and people love and support me.

Sorry if that sounds like a soppy self-affirmation. I guess it is one.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Tzippi Longstockings said:

Thanks. I totally know that, but you know how it is when you just can't make yourself really believe it.

I totally know. Just remember it's not a reliable narrator, and you can wait it out.

• Like 1

YO YOUR HEADSCARF GAME IS SO VERY VERY GOOD.  I AM VERY IN AWE AND LIKE THE SPARKLES MUCHLIES.

Loved reading your posts and learning about your challenge.  Excited to read your next post!! thank you for sharing all your progress.  

Also, I am 100% here to wave pompoms at every self affirmation post you make.  I love hearing the positive feelings you have about your life.  

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 7:15 PM, Tzippi Longstockings said:

Right now, the beautiful little man I made is curled up on my lap under a blanket made for me by wonderful family and is eating banana bread I made from all the leftover half bananas he leaves in his wake (I freeze them).

I do okay. I do pretty well, and people love and support me.

Sorry if that sounds like a soppy self-affirmation. I guess it is one.

This is beautiful <3 

Ughghhghh. 

Second day sick. Did I eat something? Catch something? getting veggies in soup and plenty of sleep.

The only waterbending I'm doing at the moment is watching what Mr. Longstockings calls "wet Thor". Definitely reminding me about my wellness and tattoo goals. And that I should eat more fish. 

Credit for below art due to MetalHarbinger084 on deviantart.

daij6rm-181c3e5c-d7e5-41af-bd4e-8a0366a86791.png

• Like 1

I love your head wrap. :love_heart:

On 3/25/2019 at 6:29 PM, Tzippi Longstockings said:

When I write it all down, it does feel like I did a lot. I just feel like I make myself guilty by doing things that aren't strictly neccesary (making banana bread,  doing crafting for the SCA, even though it is part of my household quest), while I want a job that I really want to go to.

I hear you on second-guessing your choices. You wanted to make use of food that might otherwise go to waste and make something tasty. Then you wanted to do something creative that will help your household. Those both make your life better. They are valuable to you and people you care about.

Necessary is a slippery concept. Buying groceries is necessary for most people. Some people garden (waves at @sarakingdom) and don't need to shop as much. Going grocery shopping might not be necessary at all. Urgan just signed up with a grocery delivery service. You can do the same analysis with most of your "necessary" tasks. Just because something is important to you does not mean you have to do it personally. You can negotiate that.

On the same note, if job applications are setting off your brain, get help. Maybe you could trade a loaf of fresh banana bread for someone filling out forms for you. It does not take personal attention to put your qualifications into a form. You could write several variations of "Why Tzippi would make an awesome addition to your team" for different types of jobs. Then you could do minor tweaks. This is why people live in communities - so we can trade the tough parts with our friends.

On 3/25/2019 at 6:29 PM, Tzippi Longstockings said:

Added before bedtime ritual : broccoli and homegrown baby spinach in scalloped potatoes for dinner. Qigong and Calm before bed.

More good things!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mistr said:

I love your head wrap. :love_heart:

I hear you on second-guessing your choices. You wanted to make use of food that might otherwise go to waste and make something tasty. Then you wanted to do something creative that will help your household. Those both make your life better. They are valuable to you and people you care about.

Necessary is a slippery concept. Buying groceries is necessary for most people. Some people garden (waves at @sarakingdom) and don't need to shop as much. Going grocery shopping might not be necessary at all. Urgan just signed up with a grocery delivery service. You can do the same analysis with most of your "necessary" tasks. Just because something is important to you does not mean you have to do it personally. You can negotiate that.

On the same note, if job applications are setting off your brain, get help. Maybe you could trade a loaf of fresh banana bread for someone filling out forms for you. It does not take personal attention to put your qualifications into a form. You could write several variations of "Why Tzippi would make an awesome addition to your team" for different types of jobs. Then you could do minor tweaks. This is why people live in communities - so we can trade the tough parts with our friends.

Thank you for this. 

I am going to spend time with a teacher friend tomorrow while she finishes some stuff for her master's program in theater design. I've said I'm bringing over my laptop and need some help to achieve several small steps for getting back into education. She's done a lot of these things hefore, and is a great cheerleader/taskmaster.

WEEK TWO 3/28

I am still a little nauseous on and off, but the worst has passed, so I wonder if now it's just stress.  Either way, today I ate well! Veg for lunch in tofu and veg from the Chinese takeaway,  and two servings of mixed veg at dinner with my mom (also delicious fish). Played at the park with weeStockings and racked up an impressive step count by taking my friend's daughter to the thrift store (she's going to be our on-site babysitter for some upcoming SCA events,  so I'm making her a simple dress, so I need yardage, and king-sized thrifted sheets are the most cost-effective yardage you can get).

Stayed up later than I'd planned watching The Dragon Prince with Mr. Longstockings, but feel together enough to do some of my qigong exercises and once or twice through my form before a quick meditation and bed.

Plant bending ☆

Waterbending ☆

Cloud bending ☆

• Like 2

WEEK TWO 3/29

Great work done at my friend's! She got work done on her model, and Ifinished a substitute application for a local school district and got all the requirements in order for transferring my teaching credential in from out of state.  I also got to play with a puppy.

Tai chi class was AMAZING!  I got to work with one of my favorite black sashes, and moved into the second half of the 24-form Tai Chi series that I'm learning as a white sash.

Didn't meditate, though.  Got too tired.

Plant bending 1/2

Waterbending ☆

• Like 2