• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CapN_Tommy_Sunshine

CapN's Ranger/Bard Challenge

Rest day.

I played a little guitar just now, but I am completely uninspired. I blame part of it on the weather, as this past week was the first really cold and windy week of the season (I admitted defeat and got out my winter coat (a new one this season, as last year's is ridiculously huge on me now)). I have a couple of other things going on too, but so far, nothing comparable to my problems in November. More like minor inconveniences that are bothering me. I know how I want to handle them, but I don't know what will actually happen (a lot of things that I don't really have control over).

I also found out that Flogging Molly is playing Detroit in March, so I have to get some people together and get some tickets (I think they go on sale next Friday). It is actually a Friday show, which is kind of rare in Detroit. Our people are known in the music business for selling out weekday shows, so we usually get screwed out of the more convenient weekend shows. Tuesdays and Thursdays are the most common days for good bands to come through here.

Flogging Molly is awesome. I've always wanted to see one of their shows.

The winter low energy blahs suck, but yay new winter coat! Suggest you take that baby out for a couple strolls in the middle of the day. Soak up what sunshine you can manage, and hopefully it'll help put some energy back in your step.

The winter low energy blahs suck, but yay new winter coat! Suggest you take that baby out for a couple strolls in the middle of the day. Soak up what sunshine you can manage, and hopefully it'll help put some energy back in your step.

I think we are done with sun here until March or April. I have been taking walks on my breaks at work, however, it is getting cold now, and I am used to having a lot more personal insulation than I do now. I have the feeling that this winter may be a lot harder on me due to this. I need to get myself some sweaters, as I am feeling the cold more so far this season (and it hasn't even gotten that cold yet!).

Swung the clubs this morning. My hips were feeling pretty tight for some reason, so I changed it up a bit to focus a bit more on the upper body grinding motions.

6 sets of 8 double arm casts

6 sets of 15 double swings

6 sets of 5 alternating shield casts

4 sets of two handed side swings

2 sets of two handed flag presses

I am also unlocking one of my secret dungeons for this challenge. One of my goals for 2010 was to quit smoking, and I am rapidly running out of 2010. The last two days I have cut way back on cigarettes. I did not bring any to work with me yesterday or today. I had a couple before and after work both days, but I only have one left today. Tomorrow I officially open the dungeon. My problem right now is that I am sometimes quite bored at work. I have been doing the same job at my company for almost 8 years, and I am not really busy right now. I could easily waste time by taking a smoke break, but now that I am trying not to do that, I don't know what to do with myself. I have been going up and down the stairs when I have a craving. It is only a 3 story building, but last year at this time, I could only walk up one flight of stairs before needing to take a break (I had horrible days when the elevator was broken). This summer when I almost quit smoking, I was taking walks around the parking lot, but it is getting too cold for that. This time, I am going to do it.

Swung the clubs this morning. My hips were feeling pretty tight for some reason, so I changed it up a bit to focus a bit more on the upper body grinding motions.

6 sets of 8 double arm casts

6 sets of 15 double swings

6 sets of 5 alternating shield casts

4 sets of two handed side swings

2 sets of two handed flag presses

I am also unlocking one of my secret dungeons for this challenge. One of my goals for 2010 was to quit smoking, and I am rapidly running out of 2010. The last two days I have cut way back on cigarettes. I did not bring any to work with me yesterday or today. I had a couple before and after work both days, but I only have one left today. Tomorrow I officially open the dungeon. My problem right now is that I am sometimes quite bored at work. I have been doing the same job at my company for almost 8 years, and I am not really busy right now. I could easily waste time by taking a smoke break, but now that I am trying not to do that, I don't know what to do with myself. I have been going up and down the stairs when I have a craving. It is only a 3 story building, but last year at this time, I could only walk up one flight of stairs before needing to take a break (I had horrible days when the elevator was broken). This summer when I almost quit smoking, I was taking walks around the parking lot, but it is getting too cold for that. This time, I am going to do it.

Good job with the clubs. And I know what you mean, most of the people in my family smoke. I'm glad you're trying to stop.

Right on!

Quitting smoking will do you wonders. I only smoked for a few years before I decided it was doing me no good, but even that small span of time I noticed good things happening after I quit. In the immortal words of Rob Scheider: "YOU CAN DO EEET!"

Did my yoga and played guitar for a while this morning. Doing ok on the quitting smoking thing. I have noticed that there are two different types of cravings right now. The first seems to be the habit part. It is a bit milder, and going up and down the stairs seems to fix it. The other one is the actual physical addition, and it seems a lot worse. It doesn't last too long, but the stairs don't help. It is a completely different feeling (dizzy, confused, and unfocused; as opposed to: "hmmm, I could really go for a smoke right now".). They say that the physical addiction should go away in a couple of days or so. If I can make it through this weekend, I should be good.

you can do it capn. i love your going up and down the stairs idea.

remember that some of the physical side effects you are having are also mental. i know it sounds crazy, but your mind is actually convincing your body that the physical side effects are worse to convince you that you need the drug and that you should smoke again.

i've always found days 1-3 are the hardest, and then week two. if i can make it through week two i'm usually golden.

i've always found days 1-3 are the hardest, and then week two. if i can make it through week two i'm usually golden.

Makes me think of that old addage, "Quitting smoking is easy! I've quit hundreds of times!"

Makes me think of that old addage, "Quitting smoking is easy! I've quit hundreds of times!"

listen, when you're good at something, you should do it a LOT, right? :)

i think every smoker quits hundreds of times. i've only SERIOUSLY quit three times. first time lasted a year, second lasted two years, i plan on this one to last forever.

I also found out that Flogging Molly is playing Detroit in March, so I have to get some people together and get some tickets (I think they go on sale next Friday). It is actually a Friday show, which is kind of rare in Detroit. Our people are known in the music business for selling out weekday shows, so we usually get screwed out of the more convenient weekend shows. Tuesdays and Thursdays are the most common days for good bands to come through here.

Well, like I said, we get screwed in Detroit because they know we will come. They have changed the date to Thursday, March 3.

Well, it'll be a good show anyway.

Total huge thumbs up to the quitting smoking. You have rocked your challenges so hard, I know you have the will to do it and make it stick. As you may know, Aidan is also quitting, and doing awesome, so you guys should maybe form a mini "nicotine free" support group.

Well, I ran into a boss level monster in my dungeon today, and had a couple of smokes. Not going to beat myself up about it, and I am going to continue to keep trying to quit. I've had plenty of practice at being a smoker. I just have to keep practicing becoming a non-smoker. It was only a couple, but it was a setback. I have been doing so well with all of my other resolutions for 2010, so if all else fails, I will be committed to quitting for New Years 2011 (although I want to be done with them before then). I know that it is a stereotypical resolution for New Years, but so was changing my diet and beginning an exercise program last year, and I have maintained that for more than 11 months, and have firmly made this a part of my life, so I know I can do this.

Got my yoga and a bit of guitar playing in this morning. I would have played my guitar a little longer, but they were saying how bad the roads were on the news due to all the snow we got (1 or 2 inches). I left for work much earlier than normal, and got there much earlier than normal. The roads weren't bad at all.

The club workout looks like it would be good training for leading a barbarian invasion! :-) Reminds me of a friend who plays frisbee football in his own hand made chain mail. He's a blacksmith and is also learning to make accurate riveted mail.

The club workout looks like it would be good training for leading a barbarian invasion! :-) Reminds me of a friend who plays frisbee football in his own hand made chain mail. He's a blacksmith and is also learning to make accurate riveted mail.

I think that my barbarian horde is resting and training for the winter. Come spring we will be ready to unleash doom on the peasantry! According to the Simpsons, we in Detroit are living in Mad Max times, so I have to be ready to face Lord Humongous when he comes for my gasoline!

Yesterday, I had a great time at the Big Chill hockey game. Michigan kicked Sparty butt, 5-0! Got in a couple of miles walking (there is no parking anywhere near the stadium), and a couple of brief sprints to catch up with my friends (one of them is 6'8" and tends to take pretty long strides, and since it was cold he was walking faster than normal).

I did my club routine this morning (same one as the last couple of days).

a) love the new avatar

B) i found a gym down the street from me that does club workout classes. as soon as the lungmice are gone and i can breathe again, i will be going, 100% absolutely for sure. :)

a) love the new avatar

B) i found a gym down the street from me that does club workout classes. as soon as the lungmice are gone and i can breathe again, i will be going, 100% absolutely for sure. :)

a) Thanks.

B) That is awesome, and I am sure that you will love them. Remember, they are not toys, and you are not fighting zombies or robots or orc hordes or space aliens!! (although, I sometimes have to remind myself that too!).

Dude, every time I get an email notification that there's a reply to this thread, my phone crops the subject to "Topic reply notification - CapN's Ran..." and my minds eye sees "CapN Ron's" EVERY TIME... and I always think of the awesome movie with Kurt Russell and Martin Short lol.

In other news.. I've been following your thread from the beginning of the challenge, I just don't find as much time to reply as I'd like. I've always wanted to ask - have you done KettleBell work as well? How do you find it compares to Club work?

Sign in to follow this