elizevdmerwe - I am Able, and starting the countdown...9

MrsVan

Sometimes when I lot of changes occur, I need to have my pouting I don't want to  first, then I can move on.:smile-new: Sounds like that's what Brandt needed to do 

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

When Sra. Tanque and I got married I told her, "There are going to be times you're going to suggest something. I'll say no at first but if I think about it a while it will start to make sense and I'll come around. I'll do my best to recognize this and tell you, 'It's probably a good idea but I need to say no at first so I can think it over, then I'll get back to you.'" Brandt probably works a very similar way.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

6 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sometimes when I lot of changes occur, I need to have my pouting I don't want to  first, then I can move on.:smile-new: Sounds like that's what Brandt needed to do 

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

When Sra. Tanque and I got married I told her, "There are going to be times you're going to suggest something. I'll say no at first but if I think about it a while it will start to make sense and I'll come around. I'll do my best to recognize this and tell you, 'It's probably a good idea but I need to say no at first so I can think it over, then I'll get back to you.'" Brandt probably works a very similar way.

Yes, I think it is something of what you both said. Before leaving for the rally this morning, Brandt mentioned a string of stuff that needs to be done to the cars, and the caravan, before selling them end of the year. He is seemingly making plans in his head, because he said he'll buy a back-wheel-drive little car for himself in NZ to use and to rally with, and will get the boys and myself a family car for family and school stuff. He also wants to start looking up rally rules, and law pertaining to car safety, etc. Mentioned things to do before we can put the house on the market (also later in the year). So it really does look like he's had a mind shift.

I'm going to finish up the last laundry I didn't get to yesterday. Then need to get to town to donate blood (didn't go with Brandt last time), and do some grocery shopping. Then... I don't know... things are basically on track, except challenge wise. I need to figure out what I want to do, exercise wise, and get myself moving. I also want to check the NZ timeline and see what will need doing in the coming month/challenge.

• Like 1

Mrs.Van Starting from Scratch 🦸  👱‍♀️

Elize, you may not get really going with challenges till after you settle in NZ. I say that not to discourage you, but to encourage you to be gentle with yourself if that turns out to be the case. You've got a lot going on, and a big giant THING to focus on in moving. You also don't have any big over arching goals or things to work toward physically, so of course the move is going to take up a lot of bandwidth.

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

15 hours ago, annyshay said:

Lots of good stuff in here, Elize. Congrats on boundaries and communication and handling all the bumps along the way.

Thanks.

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Elize, you may not get really going with challenges till after you settle in NZ. I say that not to discourage you, but to encourage you to be gentle with yourself if that turns out to be the case. You've got a lot going on, and a big giant THING to focus on in moving. You also don't have any big over arching goals or things to work toward physically, so of course the move is going to take up a lot of bandwidth.

Yes, true, as you and @Fonzico  both have pointed out, I have my hands full with all the planning towards the move. And yes it is taking up a lot of my thoughts. So much so that the first thing I seem to be thinking of when I wake up (morning or through the night) is, what else needs to be done? Do I have to check on this or that, or I still need to look up all the costs pertaining to something else.

I'll try not to put too much pressure on myself w.r.t. exercise, but I think it will help to lessen the stress and sometimes frustration, in the long run. Maybe just do one or two short strength sessions a week, and walk. When I walk it really helps me to relax. Just try to keep the engine idling over so to speak.

----------------------------------------------------

Some good news from blood donation: my blood pressure was normal (121/80), heart rate was a bit high (88 - I was in a bit of a rush, it came right down to 70s while sitting there), and my iron levels (hemoglobin) the highest it has been in years! 13.5. For the last two years I've only just managed to scrape over the allowed min. iron level (12.0 for a woman) to be able to donate blood. I'm not sure whether my higher count is because of better stress management or drinking more water (dehydration can affect the reading), but I'm getting something right.

We went to the club this morning for .22 rifle shoot. We quickly realised that there was no way we could take part with the two old rifles that Brandt owns. We did shoot some practice rounds, and I had a good time watching the various men shooting at the targets for points. You can learn a lot by sitting quietly, while listening to their conversations :D:blink: . On the way back home Brandt asked me whether I would like to do something like two gun shoots, or learn how to use a rifle (it's affected by wind, distance, velocity/weight of the bullet, etc.) and I actually would, so of course the next thing for me to do now is find out about new licenses in NZ, as well as exactly how their licensing works. Then we'll discuss whether I'll do a rifle competency while still in SA, whether we'll buy a .22 here, there, etc. You get the idea. In the meantime Brandt will make the two rifles totally inoperable at some point (they are not sell-able), then hand them in to the police dept. to get rid of them. We can still shoot and have some fun with them at the moment. All of this will need some serious thought, because we've figured out that the jams I'm getting with my pistol is due to two of my magazines' springs being tired. So they don't push the point of the bullet high enough when loading, so it gets stuck. I'll need to get at least one new magazine.

Other good news on homeschooling side is that I read up (on recommendation from a NZ HS mom) certain sections pertaining to international students/learners who want to homeschool. It comes down to the facts that learners who are NOT citizens or residents, do not have to apply for exemption from school, as they fall outside the education law of NZ. So until we are permanent residents (6months to 2 years at the longest), we are free to homeschool if we so choose! We also of course, don't qualify for the government stipend during this time either. But it also means one less thing for me to sort out (and apply for) before we go. One less thing that will change, at least in the short run.

• Like 2

Taking into account all that has transpired with your mom, plus now considering immigrating, you are doing SUPERB. You have so much on your plate, and you are just getting it all done, plus homeschooling and raising your lovely boys.

One saying I've heard before is "You can have it all, you just can't have all of it at the same time." So you are planning and parenting, teaching and learning, but you don't have all the exercise you want. And that's ok. <3 

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Return to the Grove

Dryad | Beastmaster Ranger | Licensed Cat Cuddler

2021 Goals: Hour walk without pain | Freestanding headstand | more tbd
Goodreads

On 4/15/2019 at 6:24 PM, Tova the Vibrant said:

Taking into account all that has transpired with your mom, plus now considering immigrating, you are doing SUPERB. You have so much on your plate, and you are just getting it all done, plus homeschooling and raising your lovely boys.

One saying I've heard before is "You can have it all, you just can't have all of it at the same time." So you are planning and parenting, teaching and learning, but you don't have all the exercise you want. And that's ok. <3 

Thanks, and yes, that's the conclusion I've come to too: I can't have all of the things all of the time, or even at the same time. But I'm ok with it. Some things have to take priority over other things, and I'm ok with that too.