• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

tourennatrix

Tourennatrix is in her Element

GMB's Elements program, to be specific

This challenge, I am going to channel the power of the elements to create change!

The element of Earth

EARTH

For the earth element, I will be working on strength and rooting. PT, Capoeira, GMB, and other forms of activity count here.

Element of Air

AIR

Air is the element of the mind. Here I will make my weekly Plan (and try to stick to it, and flow with the changes when they happen), and of course study study study

Element of Fire

FIRE

Relating to food. I'm finding short cuts that keep me away from pizza and mac & cheese, so some progress is being made, even if it's hard to see. This element includes things like:

Protein & Veg meals

Pack lunch on applicable days

... Tackle breakfast (gasp) because you gotta set yourself up for greatness each morning! (and sunlight is coming back so I won't be a complete zombie.

Element of Water

WATER

Water is all about ~emotions~. This will include activities such as reading before bed, meditation, spending time outside. One day should be capoeira music outside of class because I am sorely out of practice and I get terrified to play or sing in front of Girafa.

Things that will be tracked:

Air: Plan. Check in.

Track:

• Earth: PT daily

• Earth: Exercise 3x/wk or more

• Fire: Build a breakfast routine

• Fire: continue lunch and dinner efforts

• Water pick from reading before bed, meditate, spend time outside. Practice music outside of capoeira 1x/week or more

Bonus actions / challenges:

Spring break! (Spring cleaning!) - First week of April

Decide on new living space / prep for move

Extra accountability: checking in w/ Sister via Habitica

• Like 2

Here for all of the elements!   Especially my favorite element:

Image result for surprise gif

People often forget about the element of surprise, which is what makes it so effective :P 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Here!

Yay!

41 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Here for all of the elements!   Especially my favorite element:

Image result for surprise gif

People often forget about the element of surprise, which is what makes it so effective :P 

Aha, both my most and least favorite element!

• Like 1

And here we are back to planning things!

Monday: I'm going to an event in the evening! It's a local meetup for the Women of Harry Potter podcast (a branch of Harry Potter and the Sacred Text) and I'm so nervcited! I'll be going to a new place, all alonesies, but I think given the type of gathering it'll be, I'll feel totally awkward and surrounded by awkward people and welcomed all at once. However, this conflicts with capoeira, and we've missed 2 weeks in a row already, so we may be trying to meet up earlier in the day, which would push into my normal catch up on the homeworks time. We'll see how that goes. Challenge goals include: PT, Exercise (one way or another), prepare a breakfast that has leftovers and can be made quickly on day 2, No sugar after 8pm, and practice music before going to capoeira (because I told Girafa I would do that this week and I still haven't. Woops.)

Tuesday: There's a Career Day event on campus, and our class has to do some sort of presentation for all the ickle high schoolers coming to visit. Class schedule is totally borked, and I might be roped into being in either a skit or behind a booth over lunch time. I'm not entirely sure how lunch is supposed to happen this day. Maybe fill my blender bottle with almond milk and put it in my lunchbox with all of the ice packs I own so it doesn't get gross? Hmm... Challenge goals: PT, Some sort of packed lunch, No Sugar after 8pm, relaxinate after school and enjoy the weather a bit before settling in to do all the homeworks.

Wednesday: No classes, but 2 tests due today. This will be a day of lots of studying. Challenge goals: PT, Breakfast, Dinner, No sugar after 8pm.

Thursday: Regular class schedule (though, class topics have gotten switched around, I think this is the day we start the massage unit!), and friend is back from her vacation, so hopefully we'll be doing our dance party thing! Challenge goals: PT, Get Swole dance party, Packed lunch, No Sugar after 8pm.

Friday: Work all day. Challenge goals: PT, No sugar after 8pm, take a walk on my lunch break

Saturday: Work all day. Challenge goals: PT, Get Swole, Pack lunch, No sugar after 8pm, take a walk on my lunch break

Sunday: Work all day. Challenge goals: PT, Get Swole, Pack lunch, No sugar after 8pm, take a walk on my lunch break

The weather forecast indicates steadily increasing temperatures all week, so hopefully I'll get some good outside time! I went ahead and opened my blackout curtains this morning and the natural light pouring in (even though it was still really early and slightly overcast) made it feel so much nicer!

GMB Elements is meant to be a daily thing, but I don't have a daily habit I can tack it onto that is consistent every day (aside from waking up, but I'm not at a point where I can get up early enough to exercise consistently before morning appointments). The Exercise goal at this point is Monday: Capoeira, Thursday or Saturday: Dance party, and GMB the thurs/sat that doesn't have dance party PLUS any other days I feel like it. 

I currently have a book I'm reading before bed, so the only day that should be a problem would be nights I stay up doing DnD (which I don't have scheduled this week). I want this to more focus on going outside or doing a dedicated meditation or playing music. But at the bare minimum, reading counts.

Edit: oh right I also have a major scholarship essay due this week. *yikes*

• Like 1

OMG it was fun. I didn't randomly strike up conversations with anyone despite our common ground, but I really enjoyed the dynamic of the room, the topic, the conversation, etc. The topic was "What Would Hermione Do?" There were even one or two times when they asked for comments and I actually raised my hand and said stuff :O I found myself wishing that I could have participated more, but it's all well. The only part that I felt overly awkward about was the meet & greet, because it's the kind of scenario where you really just want to chill and have a real human conversation with a person, but instead you only have time to share a quick story about how this person you've never met has impacted your life somehow and then walking away from it realizing you left out some fun or poignant detail. I also felt like a total noob when I realized that people had brought their books to be signed and were taking pictures and I had no books with me to have signed, nor did I really feel like having my picture taken XD I realize now that I could have had her sign my journal that I had with me in the space where I was going to write about the event. Such n00b! Towards the end of the event (about 1.5 hours in, right before they broke for the meet & greet) I started getting antsy, but I'm not sure how much of that was me getting saturated or if I was picking up on other people's energy of "we better wrap this up soon so people can get home" because I started feeling that way before they mentioned anything about being about done? But even then it wasn't so bad. "Proud" doesn't seem the right word... But I think I'm pleased with myself for how well I handled it :) I had lots of pretty low-key fun!

The rest of the day left a little to be desired XD As I mentioned, going to that event got in the way of capoeira, which ended up getting cancelled because we were both way too busy. I had about a million things to study and a few errands to run, and all of that made it feel like I "didn't have any time" to study before I had to leave, even though technically I had hours. So studying was pretty unsubstantial, PT and alternative forms of exercise didn't end up happening and I definitely didn't end up doing any music practice. I did, however, start my day with breakfast. (ok, it was like 11 by the time I actually got around to doing this, but it happened! And I didn't have to throw away another bag of peppers...)

I... I cooked fresh(ish) vegetables. 

I'm so proud!

I had leftovers which are intended to make quick heat/assemble breakfast burritos, and I *almost* made it this morning, but since I "didn't have time for anything" yesterday, I didn't have enough clean dishes to make it work. Womp Womp. My almond milk shaker bottle trick worked (if a bit cumbersome) so lunch wasn't a bust though :)

Now to see if I can do some GMB to make up for not doing anything yesterday, then get back to homework...

• Like 1

Yay getting out of your comfort zone and having fun! That's awesome. And it's perfectly ok to be a noob.

Whee for veggies too! 11 is a perfectly acceptable to have breakfast. ;) 

Suppose I should do a bit of an update.  The week has been a little up and down and all around but not bad by any means. Weather has been beautiful, and while I haven't been able to get outside to enjoy it much, having more sunlight in my apartment has been refreshing!

Tuesday was crazypants and I missed my good breakfast, but got my shake thing to work for lunch, and by the time I got home I was super exhausted. Towards the end of lab, I pretty much refused to participate as a patient on one of the traction machines because I was sick of being pulled around, both literally and figuratively! But I did manage to do the GMB day 1 thing when I got home!

Wednesday was crazypants but more because it was full of to-dos. I had a math test to take in the morning, then I spent from noon until 4 working on a 2.5 page paper (turned it in in a single draft and got 100% on it, I suppose I can't complain too much about teacher's having low expectations!), then took another test, ate dinner, and went back for more schoolwork.

Thursday we learned massage techniques and I inwardly forgave my teacher for the unpleasantness of learning traction and ice massage :P

Friday I worked all day and was all "Okay I'm gonna hunker down and do homewo-eeehhhh...." BUT... I did proclaim my decision of where I choose to live to the people it involved, and went to go see the house again and go over some details about their renovations and such. And then went to the store for some simple groceries and got waylaid by a person I really don't feel like talking to ever, so when I got home (way later than I wanted) I really didn't feel like doing anything and ate way too much easter candy... woops...

Tonight, instead of one of my standard Get Swole activities, I will be going bowling with some friends because bowling is cheap and damn it, it's fun!

(tomorrow is going to involve so much school work to make up for today though omgz)

• Like 1

Bowling was great times, and I found out that the friend who invited me (a girl who used to train capoeira with us) almost went down the PTA path that I'm working on! Small world

Tomorrow I *have* to set myself some goals first thing in the morning because I'm going to be missing over half of my free time on Monday and then classes will be off the wall again. *Deep breaths*

• Like 1

It's very good. It feels like I hardly saw another human all winter and now I'm discovering how other people can get me out of the house

Related, it's also very good that spring break is coming up because I definitely need to regain my footing in all my classes after all this non-school stuff I've been working on!

• Like 2

Phew, yay for upcoming spring break! You've been super busy. :) Glad you were able to go out and enjoy some bowling! 

• Like 1

I did a capoeira and I (takes a deep antianxiety breath) took my berimbau that I haven't played since August, and Girafa had me play it and I powered through with horrible form and sound but just kept playing so that I could get over my habit of just stopping because I mess up and it sounded atrocious but I did it anyway.

gaaaaaahhhhh

And some time after I got home, I put an event on my calendar to maybe go try contra dancing in a few weeks. What is happening to meeeee?

Wow, I am so disoriented this week... I made a homework plan to get me through the week and hot down stuff in my tracker in my planner, but I never set the weekly plan up here. I guess that goes to show how busy I've been the last few days?

Today in my lab, we had to go learn about aquatics, which could have been fun, but wasn't really. I have a hard time doing group work because a lot of the time I prefer doing things "rules as written" where other classmates take short cuts and I don't fight them on it because I need to pick my battles and frankly I want to be done with the labs faster too. Today especially... I was in a group of 4, and the other girls were being *such girls*... It brought me right back to feeling like the extra hanger-on, not pretty enough or sporty enough or witty enough to be "included."* I don't think I've felt that feeling that strong in quite a while. But this feeling was on top of not being able to perform a simple vitals check at the beginning and end of our exercise, and oh I also felt *super* uncomfortable in my swimsuit and by the end of lab my temperature was way off and everything was just kinda miserable.

So when I got home an hour after class was out, instead of jumping right back into homework or even showering (I was sick of being wet) I changed back into PJs and crawled under a blanket for an extended grumpy power nap.

I won't say that it made everything better, but I am pretty sure that if I tried to just jump straight into homework, there would have been a meltdown

*I, of course, know that I am "enough," the issue was more a culmination of all the things making me uncomfortable

Some time later, I ran to the store to get a bunch of frozen easy healthy-ish meals to try, and I found myself thinking about getting the components for a salad instead of a chopped salad kit, and I *didn't* immediately shut the thought down in panic. Spring really *is* in the air! Now I just need to channel that train of thought into breakfast >_>

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tourennatrix said:

So when I got home an hour after class was out, instead of jumping right back into homework or even showering (I was sick of being wet) I changed back into PJs and crawled under a blanket for an extended grumpy power nap.

I won't say that it made everything better, but I am pretty sure that if I tried to just jump straight into homework, there would have been a meltdown emoji14.png

Curative nap powers, haha.

9 hours ago, tourennatrix said:

Spring really *is* in the air! Now I just need to channel that train of thought into breakfast >_>

Yesss. \o/

• Like 1

Oh hi.

I think I've been in a bit of a funk since Wednesday. There was a bit of a mad rush to get a bunch of things done before spring break, which made it feel like I wasn't going to be able to enjoy my break, but now the rush is over and things are a little calmer.

I've begun packing to move to my new place! And by packing, I mean unpacking all the boxes that never got unpacked after the move this time last year. I think I'm purging about half of my book collection, and still holding on to books I'll probably never read... My next big hem-haw section to sort through is going to be my yarn, since I really doubt I'm going to get back into crochet or knitting any time soon, but I really don't want to just get rid of it... But I definitely have too much for never using any of it :P

I'm pretty sure something needs to change with my challenge format or at least my habit-forming practices. The focus on my challenge goals has definitely faded into the background, and I grow still more sedentary- not great for many reasons. The newest reason has resulted in me self-diagnosing (I know, tsk-tsk) possible mild hip impingement! PT protocol for this (according to the internet, and trying to meld with what I'm learning in school) involves strengthening the core and hip extensors, and stop sitting so much, ya lump! Especially since when I'm sitting at home I often pull my left knee up to my chest. I think also with how much my joints have been pulled on by my fellow practicing students, my muscles have been seizing up to maintain stability, so now not only am I a little weaker than I used to be, I'm also really tense, which has a way of bending a person literally out of shape.

I think this is my game plan:

PT/Stretch (daily): During spring break, I don't have to get up crazy early for anything, so I'm going to have chill mornings and gently demand of myself that I do my PT and not yoga yoga before breakfast or sitting down to do anything on the computer or going to work.

Core (mon, weds or thurs, sat or sun): try out the Core program that came with my GMB Elements thing. (*chants to self: do it for the handstands*). For this I picked days where this could be worked on in the mornings, or shortly before lunch or something.

Food (daily): No sugar after 8, and work on portion control. omg portion control. If I absolutely cannot stop myself from eating more god damn peeps, maybe I can at least stop before I get through an entire row. Or three. Dear god it's a miracle I haven't gone into hyperglycemic shock or something already.

Other things happening this week:

Monday: Mail in tax payment (boooo), play some Hellblade (Finish the game? Maybe? Doubtful, but maybe!), Capoeira, DnD in the evening.

Friday: Art walk - I might brave some crowds to see some "vignettes" performed around the town square. And if the crowds get to be too much for me, I can just walk the literal one block home and recuperate.

All other days: When I'm not working, I'll be studying or packing. I'll need to find a way to be somewhat diligent about this since there aren't strict assignments to work on right now.

Ok, we good? We good. Let's try this again <3