DoubleTrouble starts tracking

Just leaving this here, I'll come back and add to it later

I've started going to the gym every week and it's time to start recording what I'm doing there or I'll end up going in circles.

Main quest: start tracking stuff that I do in the gym

Side quests:

Baby knee giants

Swing backflips

Routine quests:

Physio: 3 exercises using a green theraband (external rotation, front pull aparts, overhead pull aparts). Goal: 20/20 weekdays

Isometrics/bouhler exercises described here (also this one). Goal: 20/20 weekdays

Gym 2X a week

Parkour (after work) 2X a week

• Like 1

Here and following :) 

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I just tried baby knee giants after reading about them in @WhiteGhost's thread the other day,

I just tried them after reading about them here  :D

• Like 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 3/18/2019 at 5:15 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Ooh shiny fun things! I just tried baby knee giants after reading about them in @WhiteGhost's thread the other day, really fun though I can't do them yet.

The back flips also looks super fun but kinda scary!

Going all the way around is a challenge for baby knee giants, I keep coming off the bar too early. Swing backflips are pretty scary, I chickened out on every attempt so far.

---------

I went to the gym yesterday and forgot to track stuff until I was halfway through. The prospect of extracting my phone from my locker was too daunting so I continued with my workout.

Physio MT

Isometrics/bouhler MT

Gym T

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Going all the way around is a challenge for baby knee giants, I keep coming off the bar too early

I am struggling with them too.  I can get almost back up to the top again, but I just can't get enough momentum to get there.

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

On 3/20/2019 at 9:44 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I am struggling with them too.  I can get almost back up to the top again, but I just can't get enough momentum to get there.

I saw your GIF, you're so close!

------

Went to the gym yesterday and almost forgot my phone again but remembered just as I was walking away from my locker.

Spoiler

Rows 1x8x60lbs, 5x8x80lbs

Unilateral straight leg calf raises 5x6x60lbs

Neutral grip pullups 2x7, 3x5

Unilateral hamstring curls 5x9x30lbs

Unilateral bent leg calf raises 5x8x35lbs

Face pulls 5x8x20lbs

Stretching (glutes, hams, both calf muscles, 10 sec bridge, lower/upper back stretch)

Anyone know the shorthand for unilateral?

Physio MTWTF

Isometrics/bouhler MTWTF

Gym TT

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Anyone know the shorthand for unilateral?

I usually use SL (single leg) or OA (one arm) which is also how I have seen other people do it. I don't think there is a standard shorthand.

• Like 2

Level 2 Ninja

On 3/22/2019 at 8:11 PM, DoubleTrouble said:

Went to the gym yesterday and almost forgot my phone again but remembered just as I was walking away from my locker.

Woot progress! :) Nice workout. Impressive pull-ups, too - I'm still working on one at a time. 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

They're building a parkour gym near my area, I'm debating whether to go and help build it or not. I think I'll replace the "parkour 2x a week goal" with "help build the parkour gym 2x a week". I'll continue to do parkour during my lunch break at work so it's not like I'll forget everything. But I won't make progress with baby knee giants.

Physio MTWTF M

Isometrics/bouhler MTWTF M

Gym TT

• Like 2

Nevermind, I'll do exercises that will help towards the baby knee giant and swing backflips during lunch break. Then I can keep progressing without actually doing the moves.

Also changing physio goals a bit.

Swing backflips goal: get on the swing every lunch break, do more depending on how I feel

Baby kne giants goal: get on the bar every lunch break, do more depending on how I feel

Physio: 3 exercises using a green theraband (external rotation, front pull aparts, overhead pull aparts). Goal: 18/20 weekdays

Isometrics/bouhler exercises described here (also this one). Goal: 17/20 weekdays

Gym 2X a week

Parkour gym building (after work) 2X a week (if they let me/if they're open. Otherwise, parkour training)

• Like 2
23 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

They're building a parkour gym near my area, I'm debating whether to go and help build it or not. I think I'll replace the "parkour 2x a week goal" with "help build the parkour gym 2x a week". I'll continue to do parkour during my lunch break at work so it's not like I'll forget everything.

That's really neat that you get the gym close by and possibly get to build connections early. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 10:06 PM, DoubleTrouble said:

Swing backflips goal: get on the swing every lunch break, do more depending on how I feel

Baby kne giants goal: get on the bar every lunch break, do more depending on how I feel

I like this strategy.  My rediction is that one you get on the bar/swing you will be very likely to more than just sit there.  Not having the pressure to do more, makes it easier to get on in the first place, though :) 

• Like 2

Level 2 Ninja

On 3/27/2019 at 9:27 AM, Manarelle said:

That's really neat that you get the gym close by and possibly get to build connections early. 

Yeah I can't wait for it to open! :D

On 3/27/2019 at 11:45 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I like this strategy.  My rediction is that one you get on the bar/swing you will be very likely to more than just sit there.  Not having the pressure to do more, makes it easier to get on in the first place, though :) 

That was the plan, and it worked!

-------------

On Tuesday, I got on the bar and did a few upside down rows with my knees on the bar. Then I moved over to the swing and did a few lean-backs (on a stationary swing, I leant back as far as I could then went back to the starting position. Spell check is telling me than leant is not a word)

On Wednesday, I got on the bar upside down again but tried to swing back and forth without much luck. Then I moved over to the swing and did something similar to skin the cat but easier since my weight was mostly on the seat of the swing. Also I learnt that gripping the swing chain near the bottom is easiest as it prevents my hands from sliding down the chain so I don't have to use as much grip strength. Previously, I had tried doing a skin-the-cat with my grip higher up the chain and it was too hard. Next, I tried adding a very small swinging motion while I did the backwards rotation, and ended up doing a very small swing backflip. Whoo!

On Thursday, everything was wet from rain so I just got on and off the bar and the swing really quick.

On Friday, I got on the bar and swung back, but I kind of held back as I was on the lower bar and didn't get much past 180 degrees on the baby knee giant. Next, I got on the swing and did a stationary backflip, landing on my shins (it didn't hurt because the ground is made out of soft rubbery material). Then I added some swing into it gradually until I got a small swing backflip.

Gym log:

Spoiler

Tuesday:

Lat pull down 1x10x70lbs, 1x8x100, 1x8x120

DL straight leg calf raises 1x8x60

SL straight leg calf raises 2x6x60, 2x8x60

DL lying machine squats 1x8x160

SL lying  machine squats 1x6x80, 1x8x80, 1x8x100, 1x8x120

Machine rows 2x11x80 (neutral grip), 1x2/8x80 (slanted grip)

SL hamstring curls 3x11x30

SL bent leg seated calf raises 3x8x45

Neutral grip pullups 1x8, 2x5

SL shin raises (bodyweight) 2x10, 1x5

Stretching (legs, glutes/pretzel stretch, twisty thing, cat stretch)

Thursday:

Face pulls 1x8/5/6/5x20

SL machine squats 3x8x120

SL straight leg calf raises 1x7x60, 1x8x60, 1x5x40 (right leg only), 1x8/7x50

SL bent leg seated calf raises 4x8x45

Lat pull down 1x8x90/120/130

Deadlift 1x5xbar(45 lbs), 2x4x95

Stretching (couch stretch, glutes, hams, calves, twist, shins, lower/upper back, car, wrists, yoga plow, bicep/shoulder, tricep, neck/trap stretch)

Physio MTWTF MTWTF

Isometrics/bouhler MTWTF MTWT(bouhler done, no isometrics)F

Gym TT TT

Bar TTF

Swing TTF

• Like 3

Very nice! I especially loved the nonchalant saunter at the end as if you do this kind of thing all time  :D

• Like 2

Level 2 Ninja

14 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Well I don't have instagram, so I can't like the video, but woot, grats, looking good! You look very srs and assassiny. :)

Thanks! It's the hoodie

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Very nice! I especially loved the nonchalant saunter at the end as if you do this kind of thing all time  :D

Haha I was actually dizzy from the flip and it took a second to find my balance

---------

Forgot to update about the gym building. I went twice last week. The first time they were making the frame for a warped wall so I helped with that. The second time I went almost everyone had already left so I helped clean up a bit but didn't get to do any building.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

The first time they were making the frame for a warped wall so I helped with that.

!!!! Warp walls are so fun.

6 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Haha I was actually dizzy from the flip and it took a second to find my balance

A true example of fake it til you make it. :D Looked bad@ss. 

On 3/31/2019 at 4:27 PM, Manarelle said:

!!!! Warp walls are so fun.

It has a bowl shaped part in the center and regular warped walls on either side. I went again and helped to put the plywood onto the frame and it was really interesting to see how it's coming together. I ran across the bottom part laterally since the top half isn't done yet (I wasn't the only one who had a go at it).

On 3/31/2019 at 4:27 PM, Manarelle said:

A true example of fake it til you make it. :D Looked bad@ss.  

One day it'll be real! (hopefully!) :D

-----------------------

I was jumping on a log structure during my lunch break one day and an old man with a walking stick came over and said that I'd made his day. He said he used to be a tennis coach at the national/international level. It just made him happy to see me training. I didn't really understand why though, but I was happy that he was happy.

I've not been very consistent with physio/bouhler but it could be worse (*cough* isometrics *cough*). Gym is going really well though, and I also got to continue to help build the parkour gym which is very satisfying. I've also done at least the minimum requirement for swing backflips and baby knee giants every weekday, which is just to get on the swing or bar, respectively. This approach is working well for swing backflips but not for baby knee giants, because I can't/won't go for the full move on the bar I have access to during my lunch break (the bar might be too low causing a mental block). The higher bar is in a different playground and I haven't gone there for a while because I go there after work and now I'm going to the gym / gym building instead. Oh well.

I'm going to try a single leg approach to deadlifts going forward because it puts less stress on my shoulders and it'll help to keep both legs evenly strong. Also I discovered last week that skater squats with my eyes closed is really fun/challenging.

Gym log:

Spoiler

Monday:

Squats 1x10x45/55/65/75/85/95

Deadlift 1x5x65/105/115, 1x10x85

DL seated calf raise 1x10x45

Ab stuff

Stretching (lower back, hams, couch, abs, lower back again as it was feeling tight after squats/deadlifts, might be a technique problem? or maybe I'm just weak)

Friday:

DL seated calf raises 1x10x45

SL seated calf raises 5x5x45

Lat pull down 1x10x90/130, 1x8x140

Machine rows 1x8x40, 1x2x80, 1x6x60

SL straight leg standing calf raises 5x8x50, had to massage left calf after set 3, set 4 didn't have max ROM

SL squat 1x2x45

SL deadlift 1x2x45

Face pulls 3x4x20

DL machine squats 1x10x60

SL machine 1x8x60/80, 1x8x100 (DL up, SL down slow)

Neutral grip pullups (slow) 1x3x 2x2

Attempt at negative muscle up  - no control, dropped like a stone

Stretching (hams, proper stretch for calves, glutes, quads, shins, toes because one big toe is less flexible after I stubbed it hard on a running pre a long time ago)

Cardio - 5 min, just because it was Friday and I felt like it

Stretching - Quick quad stretch, foam roll calves (this might have saved me from soreness the next day), quads, hip flexors)

Physio MTWTF MTWTF MTWTF

Isometrics MTWTF MTWTF MTWTF

Bouhler MTWTF MTWTF MTWTF

Gym TT TT MF

Gym building (week 2 onwards) ?? Tue Sat

Bar (week 2 onwards) TTF MTWTF

Swing (week 2 onwards) TTF MTWTF

• Like 1
On 4/6/2019 at 10:34 PM, DoubleTrouble said:

I was jumping on a log structure during my lunch break one day and an old man with a walking stick came over and said that I'd made his day. He said he used to be a tennis coach at the national/international level. It just made him happy to see me training. I didn't really understand why though, but I was happy that he was happy.

I'd guess just nice to see someone training on difficult things (don't knock yourself, yes it is). So many people never leave the house and never do anything physical, or only do so in a gym, at least in the areas I frequent. It's always cool to see people doing nifty-looking things outside. 

Also I discovered last week that skater squats with my eyes closed is really fun/challenging.

Respect. That would be lots of falling over for me.

It has a bowl shaped part in the center and regular warped walls on either side. I went again and helped to put the plywood onto the frame and it was really interesting to see how it's coming together. I ran across the bottom part laterally since the top half isn't done yet (I wasn't the only one who had a go at it).

Jealous, that sounds awesome. Glad you're getting to help out there and play around in the process. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 11:35 AM, Manarelle said:

I'd guess just nice to see someone training on difficult things (don't knock yourself, yes it is). So many people never leave the house and never do anything physical, or only do so in a gym, at least in the areas I frequent. It's always cool to see people doing nifty-looking things outside. 

I was jumping on some rails last Sunday and a kid was walking by. He turned to his mom and said "That guy is such a loser!"

:lol:

On 4/8/2019 at 10:05 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Yeah nice work on the baby swing back flip!

Thanks! They're slowly getting better.

On 4/8/2019 at 10:05 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Awesome that you get to help build the parkour gym, sounds like a really fun project.

On 4/8/2019 at 11:35 AM, Manarelle said:

Jealous, that sounds awesome. Glad you're getting to help out there and play around in the process. 

They put plywood on some of the frames so people started doing some lines already. :D

----------------------

Gym log:

Spoiler

Tuesday:

Neutral grip pullups 1x2(slow)/2(slowish)/4(regular)/5(regular)

Pullups 1x5/2

Chinups 1x5/3/5

DL seated calf raises 1x8?x45

SL seated calf raises 1x8x35, 1x5x40/42.5

Glute push machine 2x5x150

SL deadlift 1x5x55/65/75/75, 1x3x80

Lower back stretch (feeling tight after deadlifts)

Abs

Bridge pushups

Calf stretch, quads, glutes

Foam rolled calves

Friday:

DL squats 1x5x45/65/95/115/135/155

DL squats 1x3x95 (slow, to try a technique adjustment)

Abs

SL machine squats 1x8x60/80/100/120, 1x8x140(DL up, SL down slow)

DL seated calf raises 1x???x35 (warm up, included max ROM, pulses, pausing at top/bottom)

DL up SL down seated calf raises 2x8x60, 3x5x60

Stretching, foam rolled calves

Physio MTWTF MTWTF MTWTF MTWTF

Isometrics MTWTF MTWTF MTWTF MTWTF

Bouhler MTWTF MTWTF MTWTF MTWTF

Gym TuTh TuTh MF TuF

Gym building (week 2 onwards) ?? Tue Sat Mon Wed Thu

Bar (week 2 onwards) TTF MTWTF MTWTF

Swing (week 2 onwards) TTF MTWTF MTWTF

• Like 2

Challenge recap:

Physio revised goal: 18/20 weekdays. Actual: 17/20 weekdays. I'll take it.

Isometrics/bouhler revised goal: 17/20 weekdays. Actual: 10/20 weekdays. Boo. Good comeback in the last week though.

Gym goal: 2X a week. Actual: 2X a week. Yummy.

Parkour gym building goal (starting week 2): 2X a week. Actual: 2X a week for week 2/3, 3X for week 4. o.O

Bar/swing goal (starting week 2): get on the bar/swing every weekday, do more if I want. Actual: Done! Some days I just jumped off right away, some days I did more.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

I was jumping on some rails last Sunday and a kid was walking by. He turned to his mom and said "That guy is such a loser!"

:lol:

Image result for he's just jealous gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Level 2 Ninja