Late Bloomer - Challenge Week 1

*waves

I enjoy the NF newsletters and have been lurking the forums the past week. So much stuff here, so I am wading through little by little. I am an older Nerd (53) who needs to reach for health, fitness and life goals. No more just dreaming - time to plan it, work it. I'm interested in improvement in every area of my life so I have lots of goals to work with. I am also an introvert, one of the rarest ones - an INFJ. I do love my alone time (content homebody) and tend to avoid social events. I don't think that is a bad thing, but it wouldn't hurt to get out sometimes. I am Nerd-y in my lifestyle (not a spouse, two kids and a dog person - CHILDFREE POWER!), my love of living in Second Life, and my urges to turn information into Excel spreadsheets-and... other things...

I will be finished with physical therapy for lower back pain at the end of March. NF is my after-PT plan (I promised my therapist) to not lose the momentum I have gained. So...here I go with baby steps to my future life that I choose to have. 

Big Thoughts

• Doing the Walk to Mordor and Back
  • Setting up my BatCave
  • Meditation/Yoga Practice
  • Becoming a Foodie Ninja (WFPB-mod)
  • Accomplishing some long-held day dreams
  • A full Bullet Journal of memories by the end of the year

Challenge 1 - March 19-April 14

• Walk on the treadmill x 5 days per week to add to WtMaB totals (no pressure on time, just that I get on the treadmill consistently)
  • Purge 1 trash bag of clothes that do not match my future self vision / that I have been holding on to for "when I lose weight"
  • Practice one yoga pose each week x 5 (newbie, but I have always wanted to do yoga)
  • Make one new recipe each week
  • Work on one Excel template
  • BuJo trackers set up for the rest of the year

Excited to start... fearful of failing... 

Determined to just hang in, do the best I can.

• Like 5

2019 Walking To Mordor Participant  |  GR 2019 Reading Challenge

Welcome! Great goals! 

As someone raised by two physical therapists - you'd better keep up with it! They're scary when you don't do your PT "homework"!!!! Just picture getting re-injured if you haven't been keeping up on your work and having to hang your head and go back. *shudder* I'd rather face a Klingon Rite of Ascension. 

The only thing I'd suggest - and I'll admit, I'm very data driven, maybe track how long you spend on the treadmill each day? Even if there's no specific goal, soon you'll get to the point where you want to advance your goal, and if you have data on your average time, you can set an achievable goal to increase!

You got this!

• Like 2

7 Day Food Tracking Quest

57%
57%

Nyota Washburne, Assassin

Big Damn Heroes

Thank you so much for the kind replies. Glad to know there are "older" nerds here :) and yes, my PT guy wears me out. I am definitely going to track time on the treadmill so I can let him know what I have been doing.

I also am participating in the Walk to Mordor - the spreadsheet, of course appealed to my documentation obsession. I have started a Bullet Journal just for NF. I have pages for weight (a loss doesn't count until it is firmly there for 3 days), the Walk to Mordor count (hopefully a good incentive in physically writing down miles), new habits and other things. I figure by the time I would get through the whole journal (100 pages) that I will have figured out things that work and made some sustainable habits.

• Like 2

Thank you so much! Oh definitely a whole food plant based or vegan/vegetarian recipe. I think I am going to try to make a black bean burger. I bought a pkg of Morningstar Spicy Bean Burgers and liked them. I have been eating those (no bun) with brussel sprouts. But I don't like the price and figure I can do it myself a whole lot cheaper (well, try to). You don't have any advice/tips on making good ones, do you? I would like to figure out how to make one that isn't too dry / falls apart and that I can freeze. I have a chest freezer that definitely needs some love.

As for diet, I lean more towards WFPB but more like 70-80%. I did WFPB 100% a couple of years ago and when I fell, it was hard and took me quite some time to get back to eating anything healthy.

So basically.... No red meat. I will eat canned tuna in water as a quick food (in a bowl with chopped onions, sunflowers seeds and black pepper, I love this). Less on the shredded cheese :( but not bashing myself over it. Eggs and yogurt are okay but not all the time. I do all nut milk - haven't had cow's milk in a couple of years. And I drink tea and water, with some coffee thrown in. Can't remember last time I had soda/pop. I eat a lot of beans (all kinds) and fruit & vegetables otherwise. I don't know what my diet label would be.. flexitarian? 

• Like 3

On 3/17/2019 at 4:32 PM, JAIN said:

I am also an introvert, one of the rarest ones - an INFJ.

Rare, but not unique. Always nice to meet another. :) 

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

18 hours ago, JAIN said:

You don't have any advice/tips on making good ones, do you? I would like to figure out how to make one that isn't too dry / falls apart and that I can freeze. I have a chest freezer that definitely needs some love.

I've been trying to incorporate more plant based meals, just to save a little money and I feel better when I eat less meat.

I've got a recipe for chickpea burgers but you could probably sub for black beans? the recipe calls for a homemade salsa but if you're doing black beans you could probably use a jarred one? anyway:

3 tbsp olive oil

2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp smoked paprika

2 cups cooked chickpeas, mashed

1 tbsp ground flaxseed

some salt

heat 1 tbsp of oil in frying pan and add garlic and spices. (obvi you can sub or use whatever you want here) for about a minute. stir in chickpeas and ground flaxseed and salt, and add about 4 tbsps of salsa. I like to remove this from the pan and form them into patties here, and then add back into the pan and fry on either side for about 5 minutes each side

hope this helps! <3

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mmead0105 said:

I've been trying to incorporate more plant based meals, just to save a little money and I feel better when I eat less meat.

I've got a recipe for chickpea burgers but you could probably sub for black beans? the recipe calls for a homemade salsa but if you're doing black beans you could probably use a jarred one? anyway:

Me too. Meat feels like sludge in my system anymore. Thank you so much for the recipe. I never thought about using salsa as the wet component - good idea :D

• Like 1

I tested as INFP but it said that I’m also very close to INFJ.
I’m surprised though. This is the first time Nursing hasn’t popped up on the career choices for me. Usually it does. I got Social Worker, Psycology, and Archeology like I normally do though. Maybe I’ve changed a bit since the last time I did one of these.

~~~~~~~
Whether you decide you can or you decide you can’t, you’re right.

In a world of princesses, dare to be Batman.