• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

bigm141414

Bigm, here, again

Recommended Posts

Two challenges down and starting off with a hectic schedule for the third. But first, recap where the yearly goals are:


 

The goals for the year

 

Strength-wise

  1. Get the big 3 lifts back to intermediate levels.  

    1. Deadlift - 2xBW

      1. Current is 275 or 1.25xBW

    2. Squat- 1.5xBW

      1. Current is 235 or 1.1xBW

    3. Bench1xBW

      1. Current 170 or 0.75xBW.

  2. Be able to clean and jerk/snatch again.

    1. No real progress made on this in the last 2.5months. Space constrained

 

Cardio-wise:

  1. Run a 5k without stopping consistently

    1. No progress

 

Body movement-wise:

  1. 10 consecutive pullups and ring dips.

    1. No progress over the last month, sadly.

  2. Hold a free-standing handstand

    1. Nope.

  3. Stop being injured

    1. Haven’t reinjured anything so far.

 

Body composition-wise:

  1. Get to 205lbs and maintain +/-5%.

    1. I'm at 218lbs. Broke the 220 barrier last challenge

  2. Lose the keg, get a 6 pack.

    1. Starting to get some visible definition.

  3. Shoulders and back definition

    1. Looking better. Shoulders are starting to get faint outlines.

 

Random life goals:

  1. Read 30+ books this year.

    1. Finished 7 so far.I started a non-fiction which is dense so it’s slowed down a bit but there are a few new releases this month which will up the totals.  

  2. Learn the piano

    1. Tried to make some progress but it was half hearted at best.

  3. Visit the Pacific Northwest.

    1. Nope

 

Goals for the Challenge

 

This is a hectic challenge. Week 0 was a loss as work stress and long days got in the way of lifting and eating priorities. I’ll just take it as an unplanned rest week. I also have a week long work trip during Week 1 so access to gym and routines will be a bit different. It’s been years since I have squatted without squat shoes so I plan to modify my program to not go heavy while I am away. But once I get back it’s back to the grind.

 

Strength wise:

  1. Chase some 5 rep maxes

    1. Time to buckle down and start the long grind back to strength. I’ve got a 4 week block planned which I’ll probably run twice for 8 weeks total. Then deload on week 9. Week 1 will get a pass as I am out travelling for work.

 

Body-comp

  1. Continue to not eat like an asshole.

    1. Week 0 was a bit of a set back and I have a week long work trip during week 1.

  2. Add some targeted accessories for back and shoulders. Front plate raises, heavy barbell rows, pullups, etc.

 

Cardio:

  1. Since I am travelling it is a good time to see if I can still run and how well my ankle feels. I’ve packed my brace and stuff to run outside so I should be able to wake up early get in a run and head to the office. One week of couch to 5k to test the waters.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yay for intermediate lifts! That's also my long term goal for this year. 

I also think having a reading goal is great. We all agree reading is good... but then I for one always end up at the computer. 

 

So what's your plan for the six pack? Counting calories, focusing on food quality, or upgrading eating behaviours one by one? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Harriet said:


I also think having a reading goal is great. We all agree reading is good... but then I for one always end up at the computer. 

  

 

Oof. Yeah. If surfing the web was considered reading books I'd have read an entire library by now. 

 

20 hours ago, Harriet said:

 So what's your plan for the six pack? Counting calories, focusing on food quality, or upgrading eating behaviours one by one? 

 

Eat less. Move more. Lift heavy. Right now just focused on those three. When I get below 210 I'll which to leangains style intermittent fasting routine which has worked for me in the past.

 

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following in case you need any help with light switches.

 

Lightswitch rave! (warning: flashing image below) 

Spoiler

giphy.gif

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woo for reading nerds! You're doing far better than I am on the reading goal (I've...half-finished at least 5 books, but haven't finished one yet...).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Oof. Yeah. If surfing the web was considered reading books I'd have read an entire library by now. 

Audible?

2 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

 

Eat less. Move more. Lift heavy. Right now just focused on those three. When I get below 210 I'll which to leangains style intermittent fasting routine which has worked for me in the past.

Where does that differ from regular intermittent fasting.

 

2 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

 

Lightswitch rave! (warning: flashing image below) 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

The Cheat. Is grounded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've taken to reading between sets. It's really easy with a phone or tablet in hand. I started bringing the analog version with me a couple weeks ago and so far so good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I've taken to reading between sets. It's really easy with a phone or tablet in hand. I started bringing the analog version with me a couple weeks ago and so far so good.

How do you not end up rereading the same bits? Now importantly, How long are your rests? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grumble said:

How do you not end up rereading the same bits? Now importantly, How long are your rests? 

 

I made a habit a long time ago of always stopping either at the top of the left page or at a bold chapter or topic heading if necessary. My rests are contra-Crossfit with or without the reading, but when it's crunch time I just give myself a "page count" limit. It's literally the only time I am both awake and being made to Just Sit anyway. Works pretty well actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

 

Lightswitch rave! (warning: flashing image below) 

  Hide contents

giphy.gif

 

I was talking to young 20 somethings who didn't know about Home Star Runner. In fact, I was referencing this very sbemail.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I was talking to young 20 somethings who didn't know about Home Star Runner. In fact, I was referencing this very sbemail.

giphy.gif

I was talking to one of my brothers about this last week. We came to the realization that a majority of our conversations would make no sense to the generation before us.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

giphy.gif

I was talking to one of my brothers about this last week. We came to the realization that a majority of our conversations would make no sense to the generation before us.

 

My soul died a little bit. One of the kids at grimbles daycare was playing with a lightswitch when i went to pick her upa few months ago, and I said the cheat was grounded. One of the younger staff was wondering why I was calling the child a cheater.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Grumble said:

My soul died a little bit. One of the kids at grimbles daycare was playing with a lightswitch when i went to pick her upa few months ago, and I said the cheat was grounded. One of the younger staff was wondering why I was calling the child a cheater.

.. because the system is down?

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay so I am back from work travel. Woo! 

 

Downside is that exercise went as I feared. I ran once for 20-ish minutes and that was it. For the whole week. Glad to be back home and get back into the routine. I've modified my program start dates and decreased the starting weights since I haven't lifted much in the past two weeks. Gym time can't come fast enough. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Downside is that exercise went as I feared. I ran once for 20-ish minutes and that was it. For the whole week. 

 

It's all in the past. Today is an auspicious day for small new beginnings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 2

 

Week 2 was not any better than week 1. On the downside I managed 1.5 workouts. On the bright side I managed nearly 70 hours of work. The workout to work ratio was very low this week. Slept a lot over the weekend and read two books to decompress. I did touch a barbell last night for some benching but that is about it. Goal for this week is to get back to a stable routine. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 8:32 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

books! are you on goodreads? asking for a friend...

 

I am on goodreads. Although it only tracks my kindle books. 

 

I did set up a libib account to try an organize my physical library. Got about a quarter of the way through it so far. https://bigm141414.libib.com/ It's shown me that I have weird taste in literature. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

I did set up a libib account to try an organize my physical library. Got about a quarter of the way through it so far. https://bigm141414.libib.com/ It's shown me that I have weird taste in literature. 

 

 

You misspelled eclectic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now