~ insert title here ~

Cynforgiven here :confused-new:

I joined NF last year, but life got in the way. I'm finally trying to get myself and my health back on track and at least headed in the right general direction. I work too much, don't sleep enough, and my house is in dire need of cleaning. I'll post more in depth later, but I know if I don't get this down and hit submit now I never will. So, for my very first 4 week challenge, my goals are to:

1) Cook at least one meal a week

2) Limit myself to one cup of coffee a day

3) Complete the NF bodyweight workout at least 1x a week

4) Update my resume

• Like 6

those are awesome goals! 

maybe designate a specific day for the NF workout? because I know I like to say 'ok i'll do this type of workout this week', and then Friday rolls around and i'm like ok I still have Saturday, and then never get to it :mellow:

dude and why is updating resumes one of those things you never feel like doing but definitely HAVE to do :distress:

LOL You're reading my mind! I actually decided earlier that since I have Tuesday off each week that that'll be my nf workout day.
And the resume - I hate job hunting, interviews, starting over in a new place... But circumstances at my current work are not looking like they're getting any better so I've given myself until mid May (when I requested vacation that I'm not sure I'll be granted) to get my act together and decide if I should stay or go.

... And I'll have the Clash rattling around in my head all evening at work now. [emoji86]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, Cynforgiven said:

... And I'll have the Clash rattling around in my head all evening at work now. emoji86.png

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

Woohoo!
Bodyweight workout week one DONE!
Yesterday I did my benchmark test so I'd know where to start. I actually came out at Level 2 which surprised me. After looking at the exercises for levels 1 & 2 I decided to start off with 1 for a few weeks to make sure I have a decent foundation. Aerobics and workout DVD's I'm familiar with (Richard Simmons anyone? [emoji3526]), but the whole calisthenics/gym type workout route is not very familiar. Maybe I've avoided it bc it reminds me a bit of the parts of gym class I hated/sucked at. Anyway, got 1A done complete with warmup and cool down. Actually double warm up bc I took the dog for a 20min walk then did my warmup.

To update my other challenge goals :
Sticking to the one cup of coffee so far. I've already been in the process of cutting down on my sugar intake (which has been mostly liquid - coffee and soda) so limiting the coffee helps that. To cut down the sodas I've been going half sugar free drink mix (like the water bottle singles) and half soda. I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners and going half and half seems to be a fair compromise for now.

Cooking this week: I plan on cooking the chicken that's been marinating in the fridge (before it goes bad) and roasting some green beans to go with it. Thinking it needs something else, but haven't thought of anything yet.

Resume: nothing done with that yet other than transferring my existing copy from the desktop to the laptop to work on it. My desktop is a few years old so is slower than molasses in January so hoping the laptop will be a bit easier to work with.

Sorry my quick "I worked out" update got so long winded [emoji3526]

• Like 4
23 hours ago, Cynforgiven said:

Resume: nothing done with that yet other than transferring my existing copy from the desktop to the laptop to work on it. My desktop is a few years old so is slower than molasses in January so hoping the laptop will be a bit easier to work with.

that's better than doing nothing at all, my friend!

• Like 1

Challenge day 3 & 4 update :
Cooking went well. Other half offered to feed his crew at work last night so I didn't have any to bring with me to work tonight, but everyone said it tasted good so there's that. I'm thinking either meatloaf or beef roast next week.

Apparently the nf bodyweight workout is more muscle work than I've don't in a while bc I'm sore [emoji16] I can feel it in my thighs and across my back every time move lol. Feels good

I've run into a snag with the coffee. I realized tonight at work there may be a problem. To explain - I often work 16 hour shifts at my job (lpn in a nursing home) due to lack of staff (down 4 nurses over a span of 4 months) so I will bring a Monster Java or 2 with me in case of the sleepies. If I've had enough rest I may not even touch them. Unfortunately I rarely get enough sleep/rest so I'm dragging ass (pardon the expression) trying to function and get a monster boost to get through.
So my problem is if the monster counts as coffee or not. It's coffee flavoured, and they and Starbucks are the only energy drinks I can tolerate due to the coffee taste. Tonight won't be a problem since I'm off tomorrow and can do green tea or something when/if I'm alive and awake. This weekend though is my weekend on which means I have 16's both Saturday and Sunday. Sunday is my killer bc I have a VERY short amount of time to rest before being back at work and usually have at least 2 monster javas along with 2 or 3 cups of coffee. So do I count it as coffee or give myself a pass for the Sundays I work?

As far as my resume I'm working so can't do too much with it other than remind myself why it needs to get done (see above paragraph for part of the reason [emoji6])

Ok. Back to work now.

• Like 3

Do the monsters have sugar in them? Is there a sugar free option? If your stated purpose of dropping your coffee intake was the amount of sugar, then finding a non-sugar caffeine option could help with that goal while ensuring you are still awake enough for work. 

• Like 1

halfling rogue ⋆ level 4

my challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6  my character  my quest

when it rains, look for rainbows; when it is dark, look for stars

I came here because of your Rebel name (love it!) and I'm staying, because I can so relate!

Hang in there and don't forget to have fun. :)

On 3/18/2019 at 7:52 PM, Cynforgiven said:

And the resume - I hate job hunting, interviews, starting over in a new place...

Job hunting and starting anew is tiring but I do love the feeling of freedom that comes with having different interviews scheduled and feeling like you don't actually have to take any of them but that you can kiss goodbye to your boss if you want to. Just don't let yourself get trapped in the "I'm working so hard I don't have energy to make my situation better anymore" scheme and you'll be good.

On 3/21/2019 at 5:26 AM, Cynforgiven said:

So do I count it as coffee or give myself a pass for the Sundays I work?

It depends on how hardcore you want it to be, I'd say. I tend to have goals that do matter to me and goals that would just be nice things but that I can drop in a heartbeat if life difficulty climbs up to Hell level. I also like to have a broad panel of ways in which I want to improve my life and to allow myself to drop one or the other from time to time, as long as I keep going in the right direction. Sticking to our decisions is important but so is having some leeway and peace of mind. I'd try to balance the gains of not worrying too much about it and having my one weakness that I'm willing to cope with and the likelyhood of you keeping on in the general direction that you want your life to take.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

Do the monsters have sugar in them? Is there a sugar free option?

It depends on how hardcore you want it to be, I'd say.

There are sugar free options, but I can't stand the taste of the sugar free ones. The reason for cutting down on the coffee is not so much the sugar but just that for me coffee is liquid calories and trying to get off the caffiene altogether is a minor future goal. That said, I think I'm going to have to hit the caffiene/energy drinks on the weekends I work for practicality as much as I don't really like it. I have to stay awake. At least until I find a better alternative or start sleeping better on a regular basis and aren't so tired.

I came here because of your Rebel name (love it!) and I'm staying, because I can so relate!

Thanks! I like it too. It has a double meaning for me - it reminds me that God forgives me and it reminds me to forgive myself.

Just don't let yourself get trapped in the "I'm working so hard I don't have energy to make my situation better anymore" scheme and you'll be good.
I've been there more on than off for the past year or so. I'm trying hard to not let myself slip into that so I will actually do something about it.

Keep up the good work.

Aw shucks [emoji3526]
Thanks
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Cynforgiven said:

The reason for cutting down on the coffee is not so much the sugar but just that for me coffee is liquid calories and trying to get off the caffiene altogether is a minor future goal.

To me, this sounds as if what you call "coffee" might actually be a coffee drink, filled with milk/milk substitutes, flavoring, and sugar? Especially since you have refered to your coffee as a source of sugar. One eight-ounce cup of straight black coffee (that's 2.3 dl for non-Americans) has about two calories total. Transitioning from energy drinks and coffee drinks to black coffee, perhaps with a touch of creamer or non-glycolic sweetener, isone of the easiest ways to reduce the number of liquid calories in day-to-day diets.

Just something to think about. :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

this sounds as if what you call "coffee" might actually be a coffee drink, filled with milk/milk substitutes, flavoring, and sugar? [emoji4] 

:Looks for hidden cameras in the kitchen:
Geez it's spooky how spot you are.
I admit it. "Coffee" has traditionally for me just been flavoring for milk/creamer and sugar. I cut the added sugar/creamer in half a couple of weeks prior to the challenge starting so there's that bonus. And I've been trying out the xylitol and erythritol sweeteners and am having more success with them than I've had with Splenda and Equal.
I've also realized with this challenge that my usual "morning" coffee is more habit than anything. Today when I was waking up I realized I wanted it more for the taste than the waking up.
If I could find a tea that I didn't have to sweeten (or could learn to not sweeten) I'd be doing good [emoji4]
  • Like 2

Day 9 update:
Well, so far I've been doing ok. I cooked yesterday as planned. I threw some frozen steaks in the crock pot with a bit of broth and seasoning. The plan was to have steak and gravy with roasted veggies and kale salad. I forgot that we had plans to go out to eat with some friends. So the steak and gravy was made but eaten for a snack late last night.
I did my workout as planned too. Technically it was at 12:30am this morning, but it was still Tuesday night to me so I'm counting it a win. Damn but those easy looking exercises pack a hell of a punch when you aren't used to them, huh?
I've pretty much stuck to the one cup of coffee a day, the exception being the monsters at work this past weekend bc I couldn't stay awake. I really need to figure out what my problem is with the sleeping before I end up hurting myself long term somehow. I also need to find a wake up drink that I don't have to add sugar/sweeteners to.
My resume is the one challenge I haven't even touched since starting this. Maybe there's a way to edit it on my phone. I'll have to look into that. Barring that, I will at least update the information in it this week. I want to look into reformatting it as well, but I can still use it as is if necessary.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cynforgiven said:

I've pretty much stuck to the one cup of coffee a day, the exception being the monsters at work this past weekend bc I couldn't stay awake. I really need to figure out what my problem is with the sleeping before I end up hurting myself long term somehow. I also need to find a wake up drink that I don't have to add sugar/sweeteners to.

"Coffee" as in, "milk and sugar with coffee added"? :P 

There are no cameras in your kitchen. There is no reason for you to check your pantry. :ph34r:

I did not actually start to get a handle on my sleeping until I found my Big Why for it. Not so much why I don't sleep, but a Big Why as in, "why should I sleep more?". Have you looked at sleeping problems from that angle, and reflected on what would work as incentive for you to work at sleeping more and better?

Book Riot Challenge 2021

I freely admit it... It's coffee flavored cream and sugar. I'm wondering if maybe the coffee flavored candies (Nips I think they're called) might work for my coffee taste fix.

As far as sleeping, I haven't consciously sat down and figured out my big why or anything like that. For me it's been more of a "I've got to get more sleep (or rest better when I do sleep) so I'm not falling asleep at work or, worse yet, while I'm driving. Staying employed and in one piece has been my motivation so far.
I'm fairly sure my schedule or lack thereof has a lot to do with it. I work 2 16 hr shifts every other weekend (like this past weekend) and I'm usually dead for tax purposes until sometime late Tuesday afterward. I can get back on some sort of routine as long as I don't work any extra night shifts, but by then my long weekend comes around again and I have to start all over. I don't really have any sort of dedicated bedtime routine, which would also most likely help. If I don't have one started before the next challenge I think that's going to be one of my goals.

On 3/27/2019 at 7:50 AM, Cynforgiven said:

My resume is the one challenge I haven't even touched since starting this.

It can be so tough to start something like that. I've found that starting with no promise to yourself and others that you will finish it is a great way to get momentum. Even if all you do is list down what sections you want, or list the jobs you've had and look up old addresses. Just anything to get a start.

And those long shifts can wreak havoc on sleep. Maybe the NF workout can help get you tired enough to get to bed early...

Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Challenge Update:

1) Cook at least one meal a week - DONE
Veggie Mexican Casserole this week. The past two weeks I've cooked something for both Andy (hubby) and I. The past two weeks I've thrown food away bc it didn't get eaten. This week I made something I like that he might will eat and that is freezable. Yay!

2) Limit myself to one cup of coffee a day - DONE
Actually I went coffee free yesterday. I found a vanilla chai tea that tastes great with half the cream & sugar I use for coffee. I've also been making a green tea/lemon ginger tea combo that I don't have to sweeten much so I feel I'm doing really good with this challenge. Another Yay!

3) Complete the NF bodyweight workout at least 1x a week - DONE
Bodyweight 1A done last night. Upper chest a bit sore this morning, but it's the "good" sore [emoji16] I may not be where I want to be, but at least I'm finally doing something to move in that direction, so it's a good start. So Yay again!

4) Update my resume - Done?
I've made some progress there. Finally got the laptop programs set up and my resume loaded so I can work on it. And I've been looking at resume examples to get ideas on layout and wording for employment descriptions which Andy calls "how to say I've been doing tasks above my position and pay grade and not getting any credit for it without sounding narcissistic or badmouthing the employer".
One thing that's been a problem on this challenge is my laptop is a refurbished of sorts. A friend was going to throw it out bc the screen was cracked and gave it to us. Andy replaced the screen and restored it back to factory specs. Then I found that in order to use the letters Z, X, C, and V I need the onscreen keyboard bc the physical keys don't work. The rest of the keyboard does though. Not so much a problem except my name starts with C so it's been a bit of a pain. The new keyboard came in Monday though and Andy should get it swapped out sometime over the next 2 day while he's off and I'm working.
So, progress made, small Yay. [emoji16]

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Cynforgiven said:

"how to say I've been doing tasks above my position and pay grade and not getting any credit for it without sounding narcissistic or badmouthing the employer".

And there is another skill you can add to your resumé ;)

Though it might sound better to say "Team player, motivated by the work, consistently outperforming expectations" haha

• Like 2

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

And there is another skill you can add to your resumé [emoji6]
Though it might sound better to say "Team player, motivated by the work, consistently outperforming expectations" haha
I like that. Can I use it? Lol

Another thing I've been doing that is resume related (sort of) is actually making note of the reasons why I really need to find another job when they come up. I know it sounds sort of petty in a way, but it's more to motivate me than anything.
Lately my normal has been work, try to sleep, work, try to sleep, work work work, try to sleep, try to do something self improving/interesting other than veg in front of the TV, work, try to sleep, etc. I've been having a hard time making my brain be awake and coherent enough to remember the reasons why I need to work on my resume when I'm not at work. By actually writing down the reasons I don't have to try and rely on some nebulous feeling of "I really need to find another job" but never doing anything about it. So while not actually working on my resume, it's working on the reasons and motivation for it.
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, Cynforgiven said:

"how to say I've been doing tasks above my position and pay grade and not getting any credit for it without sounding narcissistic or badmouthing the employer".

You're a self-starter who embraces challenges and go out of your way to help the team by identifying problem areas (or pain points) and proactively working with the team to find workable solutions.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

The reason for the tricky wording...
I'm an LPN (30 years in July). I get along great with my bosses and they know (and the administrator unfortunately) if they ask me to take care of something admin wise when they aren't there I'll do my best to get it done. This has effectively turned me into something like an assistant director of nurses just without the title or pay raise. I've even joked with them that I should at least get a job title for the resume for what I do. The new nurses (including RN's) are also directed to me if they have a problem and my bosses aren't there.
Kinda sucks when I'm getting little more than half the pay but still have to tell you what to do and how to do it. I mean if I was on call I would make sure to have an employee telephone list in case of call-ins. Kind of common sense. But apparently not to the 20+yr veteran RN that's my age or older.
Also sucks when you're ready to go home (almost on time for a change) the fire alarm goes off for no apparent reason, and the administrator asks you to stay until it gets fixed and cleared by the fire Dept so you end up finally leaving work 5 hours late. Yes I was on the clock, but I don't recall anything like that listed in my job description for medication nurse.
Not the first job it's happened at either. Then I try to apply for another position but can't prove I've been anything but a medication nurse bc I've never held the appropriate job title.

Sorry... Kinda went off on a tangent there. Supposed to be getting ready for work and really don't want to go to the point of minor panic attack today (doesn't happen every day, but has been getting more pronounced and frequent). Thanks for letting me vent a bit. [emoji3526]

• Like 1

Challenge Update:

1) Cook at least one meal a week - DONE

Whole wheat pasta, Paul Newman's Sockarooni sauce, and mozzarella & roasted garlic chicken sausage. Very good :) and no leftovers bc Andy got peckish later and finished them off.

2) Limit myself to one cup of coffee a day - This has been going very well. I've pretty much been off the coffee for nearly a week. Weirdly,  my brain seems to be functioning better on the tea rather than the coffee, at least for the time being. It'll be nice if it continues.

3) Complete the NF bodyweight workout at least 1x a week - i screwed this one up this week. While I've been more alert this week, my sleeping routine has been pretty much crap. Pair that with really crappy shifts at work which threw my mental state into a tailpsin all week and the workout fell by the wayside. I do still have Saturday and Sunday so it may still get done. 

4) Update my resume - Keyboard has been replaced! YAY! (albeit a few days later than expected, but it got done :) ) Also this past week I've had multiple notifications on my phone about job openings that sound really interesting. Andy also let me know that the jail for our parish (county for anyone not in Louisiana) that's been under construction for the past 6 years finally posted that they're taking applications for nurses. I've been a jail nurse before and actually liked it (Have I mentioned I'm very weird?) so the goal right now is to get the resume done this weekend so I can go apply first thing Monday morning. 

• Like 2