Back on My Bull$h!%

TiogaGirl

Spring is coming, the robins are singing for the first time all year, and I’m getting fired up after a long, cold, lazy winter. Throwing my lot in with you crew of Rangers if you’ll have me. I am staring down a big birthday in a few weeks and if I can’t be at my fittest by then, I can at least do what I can to be at my fiercest. So, getting my bully back this challenge!

Big goals: Stronger, leaner, focused-er.

Challenge goals:

Fitness:

2 weights sessions each week

3 yoga sessions each week

3 Couch to 5K sessions each week

Food:

Track each day in MFP

Weeks 2 through 4: hit 200-500 cal deficit

Focus:

Check in here at least once a week

Say no to things

Music (practice piano, choir, choreo) at least a little each day

• Like 2

Happy early birthday!Way to start the challenge strong

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Monday: tracked all day, practiced piano and choreo, and said no to TWO things that wouldn’t advance my goals.

Tuesday: tracked all day [sitting on ~400 cal deficit and trying not to blow it with late night eating]; C25K, weights, practiced piano and choreo.

Feeling good about it so far!

• Like 1

Wednesday: tracked breakfast (then got sidetracked, boo, so not sure about the deficit but most likely no); choreo and choir rehearsal.

Today, Thursday, have plans for weights and C25K (outside if the weather cooperates, woohoo; otherwise there’s an indoor track I can use). Maybe yoga too for the holy trinity of strength, speed, and mobility? But even 2/3 would be awesome!

a C25k

cool!

I did that last year it was a blast.  I really didn't think I could run it seemed so hard; but as the program progressed I was amazed how much I could hold the pace, and even enjoy it.

I had to give it up for the big hiking challenge- but, sometimes I think about it.  running IS very athletic.

now the weather, yep, its really a challenge to go this time of the year and when the snow falls and you get bitter arctic air.

well you know your motivated if You can get yourself to go...

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Sounds like you are doing well this first week! For my, tracking meals is easy until I start blowing my budget... then I tend to stop tracking. For my challenge this time I am focussing on tracking even (especially?) when I know I am blowing it. I feel like it makes it easier to get myself on track, but I also have to be nice to myself and not beat myself up about it. 

I used C25K and it was awesome, what "week" are you on?

• Like 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

On 3/21/2019 at 11:59 AM, GoodDoug said:

I used C25K and it was awesome, what "week" are you on?

Our sidewalks juuuuust emerged from winter ice so this is my first week using C25K! But my fitness level is a little more than “couch” (although nowhere near the ‘5k’ end of the spectrum) so this week I played around with a couple subtly different programs and weeks. Settled in to the Zombies Run 5K training app, starting at week 2. The runs are a little shorter than the standard W2 C25K runs but there’s a cool 10 min segment at the end where you just freeform run, or walk, or whatever combo you want. So, runner 5 in training here!

On 3/21/2019 at 11:59 AM, GoodDoug said:

Sounds like you are doing well this first week! For my, tracking meals is easy until I start blowing my budget... then I tend to stop tracking. For my challenge this time I am focussing on tracking even (especially?) when I know I am blowing it. I feel like it makes it easier to get myself on track, but I also have to be nice to myself and not beat myself up about it. 

Thanks GoodDoug! And yes, same exactly with the tracking! I am super good about tracking breakfast and usually lunch, maybe because these are both pretty reasonable for me and maybe (probably) because I tend to eat the same things every day (or choose from a small repertoire that’s already loaded into MFP). It’s when I have something new to look up, and/or when I know I’m blowing it, that I stick my head in the sand and fall apart on the tracking. So this first week for me was all about tracking, not necessarily sticking to macros or deficit (although if that happens I’ll take it, haha). I agree, honest tracking is still better than not tracking, even if the totals aren’t what we were hoping for.

• Like 1
On 3/21/2019 at 11:43 AM, TGP said:

a C25k

cool!

I did that last year it was a blast.  I really didn't think I could run it seemed so hard; but as the program progressed I was amazed how much I could hold the pace, and even enjoy it.

I had to give it up for the big hiking challenge- but, sometimes I think about it.  running IS very athletic.

now the weather, yep, its really a challenge to go this time of the year and when the snow falls and you get bitter arctic air.

well you know your motivated if You can get yourself to go...

Thanks TGP! I am in awe of your big hiking challenge. I have been pretty good about walking around all winter, snow and ice be damned, but it’s just been around the town, eg to work, to yoga, to the market, walking the dogs (they are big fans of my walking habit) and the like. Nothing epic and long distance in the wilds like you can do!

• Like 1
On 3/21/2019 at 8:03 AM, TiogaGirl said:

Today, Thursday, have plans for weights and C25K (outside if the weather cooperates, woohoo; otherwise there’s an indoor track I can use). Maybe yoga too for the holy trinity of strength, speed, and mobility? But even 2/3 would be awesome!

Big words, TiogaGirl, but didn’t back them up. Thursday I ended up doing not three, not two, but ZERO workouts (aside from the ambient running around town that I always do; I mean I did meet my step goal (12 000) but that isn’t part of this challenge). And tracked until about 5 pm, but abandoned it for dinner and dessert, which is where I really needed the consciousness! :(

Friday was a good day - cold and raw wind, so after walking the dogs I cocooned up in the house and worked from home. Nice to be able to do this from time to time! No workouts and did not hit step goal (see also staying in the house all day), and ended up not even in the same zip code as the planned caloric deficit... but I DID track food, so baby steps!

Saturday was awesome! Cold but sunshiney and less windy, and I made up for lazy Friday by running around on foot to all my errands ... dog walk (obvs that one is by foot), farmer’s market, piano lesson and yoga studio, for upwards of 20K steps! This also included a C25K (week 2 zombies version), and I managed to hit yang yin yoga as well ... not at all steppy but felt greeeeeeat. Oh, and tracked all day and finished at deficit! So I felt hella virtuous :)

• Like 1
On 3/24/2019 at 4:34 AM, TiogaGirl said:

So, runner 5 in training here!

How weird... I'm Runner 5, too. Seems like they just give that number to everyone! ;)

• Haha 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Sunday did not move me all that close toward my goals, but was generally a good day in the sense that I got to do what I liked :)

Walked the dogs, then an extra show-choir rehearsal [‘extra’ is my middle name], then made up some turkey meatballs for the week’s lunch/snacks, as well as an epic salad to take to family dinner. Yin yoga, then the aforesaid fam dinner with my fam and brother’s fam then a final dog walk to end the night. Very happy-making, and I tracked food all day. Downside is NOT hitting my deficit (quite the opposite) nor step goal.

Monday was more successful: went way over my step goal, tracked food and ended up coming pretty close to the planned deficit, squeezed in a quick weights session between meetings. Plus a little (very little) bit of practice for choir and choreo. Oh Little Shop of Horrors, you so catchy!

Irritatingly, my scale does not seem to grok how awesome I’m being and weight is creeeeping up. And it’s a body fat scale, so I can’t even reassure myself that it’s all muscle!! :angry:

Onward!

Okay, the scale is mending its ways as of today and more importantly, Tuesday was awesome. Kicked that step goal in the head (18K! Goal is 12K!) without even having to go in to campus [usually that is my major source of mileage]. This was a combo of walking the dogs around town to take in the spring air and blue sky; walking down to the cafe to work there, and later to the yoga studio; and dance practice in the evening. Pretty sure I tracked food all day, and finished with a bigger deficit than I had planned. :chuncky:

Using MFP is getting easier as my usual foods and recipes are slowly populating the thing. Having the turkey meatballs on hand for snacks is also helpful [normally I would graze on chips or chocolate, which tragically are not that protein rich]. Final piece of laying the groundwork was when I heroically instructed Mr TiogaGirl not to pick up my usual sea salt chocolate bar during this week’s shopping. And as much as I am a homebody, going out to practice dance or choir in the evenings does keep me from snacking in front of the TV.

Wednesday report: pretty good. Started off strong, with a great discussion at lab meeting, then the day was so nice outside that I switched my next meeting from a sit down to a walk and talk (thank you, agreeable student) — lots of birds back including some nesting owls a little ways off campus. All and all I was outside for about 90 min midday, which was awesome and fired up my brain for awhile, but mid afternoon sleepies set in like nobody’s business and I had to call my hubs for a ride home [normally we both walk but he happened to be passing by with car at the right time]. Then show choir and dance practice, so ended up just over 18K steps all told even with the wimping out on walking home.

Tracked food for breakfast and lunch, but not in my sleepy/busy state later in the day, so not sure about the deficit ... scale is up a little under half a pound from yesterday but not as high as Monday, so dunno. Tragically, I went through the last of the turkey meatballs yesterday, must make some more this weekend, it’s a key innovation having handy little snacks that are proteinaceous not just carby!

Today’s mission: back on the tracking horse, and some sort of proper workout... deliberating whether to do weights or C25K.

• Like 2

Hi all! Eesh, my week went downhill challenge wise since I posted last. But for the interest of accountability,

Thursday: work wise this day was actually pretty great... on-campus meetings canceled so I stayed home in jammies with the dogs, got into the flow state and solved some tricky problems with #Rstats. That was the awesome part! But I was so in the flow that I failed to track food or work out at all (or even hit my step goal). Did do some choir and choreo practice for a gig on Saturday. Still went to bed proud because of the success programming but not a strong day fitness wise.

Friday: back to campus, so I did hit my step goal, but still in the rut of not tracking food. I think food was pretty much fine until dinner, but then we went off the rails :P No workouts, eek, and a lousy sleep due to hubby snoring. 

Saturday: Show choir gig went super well, and some fun socializing with new choir friends, then boogied back to my place to host book club with different set of friends. So, a fun and social day, but no food tracking past mid afternoon, nor much exercise to speak of besides busting out my dance moves.

Today, I’m re-upping my challenge commitment and getting back on the horse. I KNOW that I do better all around when I track food, and I also know that I’m more likely to track when I have my usual suspect healthy foods stocked up on hand. So, just finished prepping up a batch of veggie frittata muffins for breakfasts, and turkey meatballs for lunches and snacks. Will boil up a few HB eggs later and call it a win. Woke up to several inches of SNOW this morning, what the heck, so C25K is temporarily on ice, so to speak. But will head down to the studio for their 90 minute hot yin yoga class late afternoon: that should help in working out the cricks that accumulate with a string of under-active days.

Hope the rest of the Nerd Rangers were better at sticking to challenge goals these last few days than I have been! Yeesh!

• Like 1

Oh, also an archaeological dig of my closet revealed my flat iron, so I began re mastering that and my hair looked hella cute all day yesterday. There seems to be some Law of Conservation of Physical Attractiveness, so gain some weight —> cute hair, and presumably vice versa. Hmm.

• Haha 1

And woke up to high marks from my Fitbit sleep monitor for sleep quality! (Good to know I am a natural at something.) Duration and depth were just okay (just under 7 hours total; pretty good for REM but short on deep sleep) but the elusive and mysterious “revitalization” score was higher than it’s ever been. I’m STILL not convinced that the revitalization algorithm isn’t just a random number generator, but I’ll take it. Now for my revitalized self to meet April head-on!

• Like 1

Monday

Tracked the food :)

Kept the deficit going, after uncovering a twisted miscommunication between Fitbit and MFP. Almost bamboozled me into thinking I had way more caloric output than I really did. But crisis averted! :)

Met the step count :)

No real workouts otherwise (running, yoga, weights) :moody:

No piano, reviewing music, or choreo :moody:

• Like 1

Mmm, turkey meatballs sounds like a great idea! Did you use a recipe? I prefer ground turkey but my husband hates it, so we basically just don't eat turkey anymore. Maybe something like meatballs could satisfy both of us.

• Like 1

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece Keeps Trudging

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

On 4/2/2019 at 2:39 PM, kcaleece said:

Mmm, turkey meatballs sounds like a great idea! Did you use a recipe? I prefer ground turkey but my husband hates it, so we basically just don't eat turkey anymore. Maybe something like meatballs could satisfy both of us.

I am such a meatball fan. I use this recipe https://www.iheartnaptime.net/turkey-meatballs/ but like you, my husband is not a turkey fan so I just keep them around for post-work or post workout snacks.

Have been lazy about tracking, weights, etc, but just completed a C25K run!

• Like 1