• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mistr

Mistr wrangles weasels

Mistr wrangles weasels

My last challenge was about establishing a new sense of normal. I am happy with my progress so far. I have been getting more sleep, sitting zen more often and doing more spinning. Other things need more work. Having a checklist here worked well last challenge so I’m doing that again.

The main thing I’m adding this time is dealing with brain weasels. Mine and my family’s.

53eba983c09b2ad2c10bfc8ddb9a07aa_XL.jpg&

Cast of characters

Spoiler

For those new to my thread, here is a quick overview. I live in a queer poly family. I am cis-gendered female and bi.

Dumbledore is my primary partner. He is cis-gendered male and bi. He has PTSD brain weasels as well as the ones that come from going to grad school, then getting a job teaching adjunct. He was a Shetland sheepdog in his previous life. He can’t help himself from organizing people.

Hermes is our housemate and in a platonic romantic relationship with Dumbledore. He is cis-gendered male, straight and poly. He has a long-term primary female partner and has had a series of secondary relationships. He recently finished a two year program in the trades and is happily working only one full-time job. He has ADHD brain weasels and some odd ones from his upbringing. Happily, he is working on taming them himself (with professional help).

Elf is our legally adopted adult offspring. Elf is non-binary MTX and uses they/them pronouns. At this point I’d say Elf is queer. They started as gay, but that no longer fits. Elf’s current sweetie is a younger trans man. Elf is probably monogamous but things are fluid right now. Elf has a nasty set of brain weasels that include bipolar, imprinting and abuse from their conservative religious community of origin and substance dependence they picked up as a coping mechanism in their teens. Quite likely that comes out as PTSD, just not diagnosed so far. Aside from the brain weasels, Elf is a joy to have in the household. It does not bother me that Elf has bad brain weasels, I just feel bad for them and wish I could help more.

Starting with my own issues, I’m feeling a lot of imposter syndrome at work. Most days I am just getting the immediate pressing tasks done. On bad days those pile up. I am not planing ahead and taking time to actually check in on and coach the people I supervise. I feel guilty about not being more proactive. I have a nagging sense of dread that someone is going to notice how much I’m slacking off and I’ll lose my job, which is the main economic foundation of our household.

On the home side of things, I have not been keeping up with budget analysis. I’m scared of what I think I’ll discover. I tend to do other good and useful tasks and let finances slip to the bottom of the list.

Weasel wrangling round 1:

• Break my bad patterns at work - Wait until after lunch to check my non-work email. No FB at all. Get my support emails done early because they tend to drag me down at the end of the day. See how these three changes go for two weeks before adding anything else.
  • Be selective about what I work on at home. I really don’t have enough time to cook, clean and take care of all the tasks I wish would get done. Rely more on frozen veggies and pre-packed salads for the next several weeks. Be patient and give Dumbledore and Elf time to do cleaning.
  • Give positive feedback to Dumbledore and Elf for all the good things they do. Keep my temper and don’t expect anything. Even if we do consult and they agree to do stuff, the timing is likely to be slower than estimated. Know that this happens and roll with it.
  • Watch out for the get-it-done weasel in the evening. Do prep for the next day early so that I can relax and go to bed on time.

Last week at work there was an invited speaker who gave a management training. He talked about how to take control of one’s life and make positive things happen. A lot of things he said are familiar to everyone here - get enough sleep, eat healthy, exercise, have clear goals. The one part that struck me was about being positive with the people around you.

I have been using my challenges as the place where I can vent my frustrations. I will continue doing that. I’m going to be very careful about sharing my frustrations at home. I will make a conscious effort to give positive reinforcement to at least one person at work and home every day. I already work on this when I teach aikido. I will keep working on NOT giving feedback when I’m not teaching.

Non-weasel goals:

Exercise:

• strength training twice a week
  • yoga or bodyweight and mobility training once or twice a week
  • aikido at least two classes a week (not counting teaching). My training partner had knee surgery a week ago and is ready to get back to gentle training this week. Lots more internal power work and weapons katas. Usually two days a week.

Food:

• No caffeine.
  • Minimize dairy. This is a test to see if my GI tract and joint inflamation gets better.
  • Stick with 10/14 IF most days. Keep eating lots of veggies and save the desserts for at home. There will be exceptions - work on having fewer of them and not feeding the brain weasels.

Tasks:

• file taxes
  • budget analysis
  • sand and oil bokken and jo
  • take holiday lights off the bushes
  • buy storage box, pack up clothes on top of dresser
  • wash and store wool sweaters (already partly done)
  • mail yarn samples to my friend in England

All the other things can wait until these are done. In particular, worrying about the other things can wait. If something actually important comes up, I can add it to this list.

• Like 3

Glad to be following along for this challenge! 

4 hours ago, Mistr said:

Break my bad patterns at work - Wait until after lunch to check my non-work email. No FB at all. Get my support emails done early because they tend to drag me down at the end of the day. See how these three changes go for two weeks before adding anything else.

On chrome (not sure if it works with others) there is a wonderful thing called facebook eradicator extension, It doesn't allow you to see your facebook news feed, but does give some great quotes. It does not keep you from using groups though. It's helped me a lot be off facebook at work. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toshimi said:

On chrome (not sure if it works with others) there is a wonderful thing called facebook eradicator extension, It doesn't allow you to see your facebook news feed, but does give some great quotes. It does not keep you from using groups though. It's helped me a lot be off facebook at work. 

Thank you for the recommendation. I knew there had to be an app, I just had not gone searching for it yet. Some of my friends and regional dojos use FB as their primary way to send info on events. I don't want to block it completely so I can see those invitations.

I know better than to listen to the "let me check one thing" impulse at home. I've been doing it at work when I want to avoid tedious tasks. That is stopping now.

Monday and Tuesday have been noticably better at work. Getting enough sleep over the weekend helped a lot. Breaking out of my bad habits and getting things done on Monday felt really good. On the down side, I missed working out on Monday because one of my team was out sick, another had to go pick up a sick kid at noon and I didn't get away from my desk in time to avoid helping out another coworker.

I worked until 6 (planned) which meant that I had less time to do things in the evening. I made Irish/Wisconsin soda bread (with dried cranberries and raisins). Instead of sitting zen while it baked, I read a novel. And kept reading the novel all evening. I would have stayed up even later if Dumbledore hadn't come home when he did.

On the weasel side of things, Dumbledore is doing much better. It helps a lot that he has this week off work and he is doing his own projects. He has made tremendous progress on sorting boxes of office supplies and papers. By Sunday evening he returned the dining room table to household use! We celebrated by putting on a clean tablecloth and putting a bowl of fruit in the center. We've been eating in the kitchen for months. Of course we usually eat in the kitchen, but it is nice to have space for more than three people to eat at the same time. Plus having the dining room tidy gives a small area of visual calm in the chaos of our house.

Both Dumbledore and Elf expressed intention to do dishes. Dumbledore then went back to the basement to sort his stuff in the game room. Elf said that they thought they had food poisoning from some dubious shrimp tacos. They went to lie down for all of five minutes before dashing to the bathroom. They did not emerge until late in the evening. They work all day today, so I would be surprised to see any progress on housework. I did one load of large stuff on Sunday. There is another full load to do. Between me making soup and other people cooking, we got a lot of pots and pans dirty. Hermes and his training partner will be cooking tonight. I'd like to at least get the stove cleared off for them.

I did my strength training today with HIIT warmup on the elliptical. I increased the intensity to 1 minute fast/ 30 seconds recovery. I feel like it is making a difference. That type of fast/moderate movement is similar to doing randori in terms of heart rate. I'd like to get up to two minutes fast eventually. My breathing was heavy but I didn't get winded. Progress.

My plan for tonight is to run errands, then go home and pack for a three-day aikido seminar this weekend. I won't have much time Wednesday or Thursday evenings and I have to be out the door at 6:15am Friday. I am bringing knitting and reading that I can to with my feet up in the evenings. All the other chores will have to wait until next week.

• Like 1

Things accomplished   :D

I had to go to PetSmart last night to get cat food so that Elf will not get eaten by the cats while I am out of town. Since I was there, I went to the home improvement store next door. I got two shelves to put up in the laundry room and an under bed storage box. I packed up the nylons and some lingerie that I never wear and put those under the bed. The things from the top of the dresser now have their own drawer. Item accomplished!

Over the weekend I finished spinning the fine wool singles for my friend. I found a card to send her with the samples. Now I just need to go to the post office to get international postage for it. I'm looking forward to spinning the wool/silk blend from the silk dying class next. B) 

I also started packing for the weekend. One pair jeans, three tops, a sweater, socks, underwear and all my gis. The non-gi clothes fit in a small packing cube. I may need an extra bag for the gis. Luckily I will be taking Dumbledore's car which has plenty of space. I still need to pack the arnica gel and refill my travel ibuprofen bottle.

I had to wear my old knee supports and slather my knees with Tiger balm last night. I don't know why my right knee has gone wonky again. It felt fine while I was working out at lunchtime. One little area was sore. I only felt it when I did a hamstring stretch from squatting moving into a forward fold. By the end of the day I was limping when I walked. I did a lot of walking in the giant home improvement store and my knee felt a little better afterwards. Sitting still is apparently bad. Going downstairs after supper was no fun at all.

My left knee was fine through all that so I didn't do anything special for it. After about 15 minutes of trying to fall asleep, my left knee decided to join the pity party. I got up and did the Tiger balm/knee sleeve treatment. So the complaining moved to my feet. Really toes, nothing bad happened to you today. It was bad enough that I read in bed for an hour or so until Dumbledore came to bed. I wish I knew why the muscles around my knees are randomly cramping. I'm doing my knee PT exercises and stretching. I'll see how I feel after aikido today. I really want my knees to be healthy so I can participate in all the classes this weekend.

• Sad 1

On the home front, Elf was feeling much better last night. They cooked corned beef and washed dishes. Hermes and his exercise partner never showed up due to car problems. That means we have a mostly tidy kitchen for a change. I can wash the last few things tonight and feel good about leaving the house in decent shape.

I went to aikido last night in spite of my knee being twingy. It got worse over the course of class. I could still roll just fine, but something was clearly not right. The universe must have heard me whining. I took bad ukemi for one technique and stubbed a middle toe. That gave me a new pain to distract me from the knee.

Pain killers, knee sleeves and arnica gel on my toe got me through the night. I am going to do yoga instead of weight training today in hopes of placating the muscles in my legs. It's hard to tell if the elliptical machine and weight lifting is making things better or worse. I did all the exercises from my physical therapist (for my knees) and didn't see any difference. Maybe it's just some random neurological thing that has nothing to do with exercise. That would explain the pain in the middle of the night when my legs are relaxed.

I may end up sitting out some classes this weekend. I prefer to get hands-on experience because there are a lot of optical illusions in aikido. Maybe it will be crowded enough that I can move slowly and not take as many rolls. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be okay. I also took all the vitamins and magnesium in case that is part of the problem.

• Like 1

I learn a lot from your threads. Often various aikido terms and concepts, but all kinds of things.

I had never heard of MTX, and couldn't even find it by googling "MTX" by itself.  I had to search "MTX" + "queer" to figure it out. I appreciate the opportunity to be a little more aware.

...and I only put this under a spoiler because your original summary was under a spoiler.

So sorry about the toe. Completely frustrating.

Weekend report

Short form: SO MUCH AIKIDO

Long form:

Things went about as well as I could have planned. The instruction at the friendship seminar was excellent.

Thursday night is normally my date night with Dumbledore. Due to schedule constraints, he wanted to spend time with Hermes. That actually worked out perfectly for me. Dumbledore was really sweet because he felt guilty for not warning or asking me ahead of time (as well he should). Even though I did some prep earlier in the week, I needed the evening to get everything together. I got to bed by 9pm so I could get up by 5am. I even set a timer when I sat down to read and stopped when it went off. Progress!

Friday morning I picked up a friend from the dojo and drove to the seminar. We got there early even though we hit some rush hour traffic. Then 7 hours of training and a pizza party. We were both too bushed to check out the hot tub by the time we got to our hotel. I was really glad I decided to stay at a hotel.

Saturday - another 7 hours of training. We went out for dinner on our own instead of with the organized group from the dojo. I think that was the right choice. Reports indicate that the food was good and it took a long time to be served. After dinner we had plenty of time to soak in the hot tub. Just the thing for sore muscles. I wish I could have slept there. My muscles cramped up again when I cooled off and it took me a long time to fall asleep.

Sunday - I fudged on my no caffeine resolution and had half a cup of coffee at breakfast. I wanted to stay awake during class but not have to pee. We only had 5 minute breaks between classes, which is not enough when getting in and out of a hakama and waiting for the one women's restroom. I mostly paid attention even though I was tired and sore. Everyone else was in the same shape I was, which helped. The instructors had us do difficult things which also slowed down the training. There were 4 hours of class, from 9am to 1pm. I had a banana at noon to keep my energy up. That was the right thing to do. 

A couple friends from my dojo and I went out for lunch before driving home. Last year we went with the big group and service was really slow at the restaurant. After three days of being surrounded by people I did not want to be at a crowded table for two more hours. We had a quick lunch and got on the road.

I felt good about how I spent my time at home. First I checked in with Elf. They washed dishes while I did other things. I detected a certain amount of guilt for the same dishes being on the counter as when I left. ;)  Elf said they are doing better. I'm not so sure, but I'm glad they are feeling positive about things.They said they have made real progress in dealing with their anxiety weasels.

After that I unpacked, prepped for Monday and had a short break before Dumbledore got home. We compared notes on the weekend and had some relaxation time. He says he wants to save money and eat healthier by taking lunches from home. I'm not holding my breath on that. I believe he means it. When it will happen is an open question. He spent the rest of the evening sorting papers. He is making great progress on organizing his stuff. He also walked for half an hour on the treadmill. Signs of progress all around.

• Like 4

I get super frustrated going out to eat with big groups and having it be very slow. What you describe is exactly what I would have wanted to do. So glad the seminar was challenging and valuable!

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 3:03 PM, Toshimi said:

Glad to be following along for this challenge! 

I love the facebook eradicator.  I've even been able to add my own quotes, which I like.  It helped me a lot with my facebook issues.

On 3/19/2019 at 6:20 PM, Mistr said:

Plus having the dining room tidy gives a small area of visual calm in the chaos of our house

Yay for reducing visual noise!!

On 3/20/2019 at 11:16 AM, Mistr said:

I had to go to PetSmart last night to get cat food so that Elf will not get eaten by the cats while I am out of town

Probably a good thing, to not have a human eaten by the cats.  Probably.  

On 3/25/2019 at 7:05 PM, Mistr said:

After dinner we had plenty of time to soak in the hot tub. Just the thing for sore muscles. I wish I could have slept there.

*cheers for your muscles being relaxed even for a non-permanent time span*

I agree with all the above about eating with smaller groups/on your own instead of large groups with many people with long food wait times.  Much less stressful.

Thank you for sharing everything about your fun weekend!  I liked hearing your long form and that is a LONG time to train.  Sounds like fun!!

I appreciate hearing all of your stories about the household, and for your explanations about the weasels this challenge.  I really appreciate your candor and hearing the small improvements.  Especially in dishes.  Boy, am I cheering every time I hear someone is helping with dishes.  Or, you know, helping reduce the visual chaos, which could maybe help with some baseline anxiety too?  I know it always helps my anxiety flares.

Can't wait to hear about your next update!  I'm really interested to hear about how not doing the feedback-at-home, and the weasel tackling goes.  Making relationships positive is hard, and so I'm interested to see how this approach works out (it sounds like it is a wise one).  

• Like 2

I am sorry to report a flare-up of weasel activity in week two. Other things have been mixed.

Monday I knew was going to be busy at work so I did a yoga video before work. It was a new core set from Yoga with Adriene. It was easier than the ones I usually do. That was disappointing because I was hoping for more variety in the core set to liven things up.

By late afternoon I was sure I was coming down with something so I went home instead of to spinning. I sat down to read after supper and totally failed my saving throw. I didn't put my book down until nearly midnight. By that time I had decided on calling in sick.

Staying home Tuesday was clearly the right call. I had very little voice in the morning. I also had very little brain. I finished reading the book and started laundry. All the gis needed washing and the weather was finally nice enough that I could hang my hakama outside to dry. By afternoon I had enough energy to get things done. No one else had cooked and the fridge was distressingly bare. I turned the remaining aging veggies into food.

• Made casserole with ground turkey (in the freezer since when?), 1/2 cabbage left over from St. Paddy's day, red and yellow bell peppers and the tail end of the sour cream and a bag of shredded cheese.
  • Cooked the broccoli
  • Made a batch of stoneground wheat muffins from a mix (one of three boxes I found in the cupboard)
  • Roasted potatos, sweet potatos and red onions
  • Washed three loads of laundry
  • Ironed my hakama
  • Scrubbed the bathtub and part of the shower curtain
  • Wrote a grocery list for Elf, who did the shopping
  • Tried to update finances but the program crashed
  • Spinning
  • Washed dishes

I felt much better about life from having the day off. It was pretty much what I would do on a normal Sunday, but with less guilt because I was sick and did not feel obligated to get anything done. Most of the day I had the house to myself. It was sunny and peaceful. Bliss.

Wednesday felt weird being my second Monday in the same week. I did do strength training. That went better than expected. I was really gentle on the cardio warm up because my chest was still congested. I think I avoided a bad cold by taking the day off.

Weasel attack

Spoiler

Wednesday evening Elf had a seizure at work. One of their friends texted me and followed the ambulance to the hospital. I was at dinner with coworkers when it happened and didn't see the message until about half an hour later. I met them in the ER. By that time Elf had been through a CAT scan and was feeling mostly okay. As far as emergencies go, this was about as tame as it gets. The difficult part is that the doctor could not find any obvious cause. That means it could happen again randomly.

Just when Elf was happy about getting healthier, this happened to set them back. Thursday they were at home and were having aftershocks - mini blackouts. They fell on the stairs, couldn't walk on the treadmill and dropped a container of leftovers trying to take it out of the fridge. Dumbledore yelled at them for trying to pretend everything is normal when clearly it is not.

Dumbledore was triggery on Wednesday evening. I was stressed out too. Not a good combination. I used my best non-confrontation skills and we were able to get back to a better emotional state. I'm proud of that. I remember all too well when I would have responded differently and we would have had a big fight. There were a few minutes when it was all I could do not to say "get the fuck out of my car right now".

I've been good about avoiding caffeine even though I'm short on sleep (not my fault this time!). On the other hand, I've been eating all the things.

I'm travelling for work for the next several days. It will be interesting to see how Elf and Dumbledore cope.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mistr said:

Weasel attack

Reveal hidden contents

Wednesday evening Elf had a seizure at work. One of their friends texted me and followed the ambulance to the hospital. I was at dinner with coworkers when it happened and didn't see the message until about half an hour later. I met them in the ER. By that time Elf had been through a CAT scan and was feeling mostly okay. As far as emergencies go, this was about as tame as it gets. The difficult part is that the doctor could not find any obvious cause. That means it could happen again randomly.

Just when Elf was happy about getting healthier, this happened to set them back. Thursday they were at home and were having aftershocks - mini blackouts. They fell on the stairs, couldn't walk on the treadmill and dropped a container of leftovers trying to take it out of the fridge. Dumbledore yelled at them for trying to pretend everything is normal when clearly it is not.

Dumbledore was triggery on Wednesday evening. I was stressed out too. Not a good combination. I used my best non-confrontation skills and we were able to get back to a better emotional state. I'm proud of that. I remember all too well when I would have responded differently and we would have had a big fight. There were a few minutes when it was all I could do not to say "get the fuck out of my car right now".

Spoiler

I hope Elf is ok!

Otherwise a good update.  Congrats on dodging illness!

I was all happy about the loads-of-aikido update, and then super sad about the weasels.  Hope everyone is feeling a little better after the weekend! <3

Your list of things you got done is, per usual, amazing and inspirational.  I'm glad you were able to get all of that done.

Spoiler

I am so sorry to hear about all the weasels.  I hope elf is okay; new onset seizures are really scary.  I'm sorry that they haven't found a cause yet, and the mini blackouts afterwards also sound scary.  I hope everyone gets to be okay soon.  I am glad you were able to be nonconfrontational and work through that situation on Wednesday; it sounds like you did a fantastic job of communicating well.

I hope the weasels continue to be wrangled.

your sick day sounded very well-deserved. I was impressed by the things you managed to cook with the dregs of your fridge. I'm going to be making a very random stir-fry tomorrow myself.

I wonder if that is some kind of side effect of meds? Not great obviously, but could be manageable.

Trip report:

I am very pleased with my food choices. These involved a mix of healthy foods and treats. I took full advantage of being on an expense account. That paired with the search for vegetables at restaurants meant that overall I lost weight over the last two weeks.

The work part started on Sunday and involved being on my feet most of the day in dress shoes. I bought new gel insoles for them. That may have helped, but not nearly as much as the advertisement on the package claimed. My feet and knees were very unhappy with me. I got lots of sleep on Saturday and Sunday nights. Good thing, because by Monday night the pain kept me from sleeping until the wee hours. Ibuprofen barely blunted it. I'm going to have to find better shoes before I do something like this again.

I was good about exercising while traveling. I did core yoga and bodyweight exercises in my hotel room. I researched local gyms for strength training but did not actually go to one. I did go to an aikido dojo. I met the sensei at the randori workshop I attended several years ago and was impressed with his aikido. His dojo has been working on internal power for the last several years. No techniques at all, mostly exercises to learn how to control one's body. They can do some amazing things. The exercises were different from the ones I learned in England last summer. Clearly related, but coming from different teachers. I think they were surprised that I could sort of do the things they were doing. That made me happy. I also now have things I can work on solo. It helps to have a partner to check if you are cheating, but the actual exercises don't require another person.

Dumbledore was awesome in encouraging me to go to the dojo. I was tired, my feet hurt and the classes were late in the evening. Plus I was in a new city and had to find the dojo. Dumbledore helped me make it out the door both Monday and Tuesday. He was right, I was glad I did it. I feel like I have an entry into the secrets of the Shaolin monastery. The internal power part of aikido is essential to make it really work, but is rarely taught. Plus it is hard to learn without direct coaching. I know that Tasaka sensei was trying to get this across to for the last four years, but it is not something that you can learn in a three day seminar. Ikeda sensei has been trying to teach us for years. Between all the seminars I've been to in the last couple years, I feel like I have enough clues to start actually learning how to do it.

I was so tired by the time I got home that I didn't care about the state of the house. Dumbledore proudly showed me that he had put away boxes from the living room and vacuumed. Elf was batch cooking chicken and potatos. They said that they had taken turns and kept up with the dishes. Kind of. There are still pans on the counter that were there when I left, and the sink was full of new pots and pans. Dumbledore had taken the dirty laundry downstairs but not sorted or washed any of it. Elf promised that they would do more cleaning on their day off. They wanted to do more before I got home, but hadn't felt up to it. As usual. Elf does have an appointment with a neurologist for next week. No one starved, the cats are fine, everything else can wait. I did wash a load of laundry so that I would have clean exercise clothes for today.

My next priority is getting the taxes done. Everything else can wait.

• Like 3

Sound like it was a great trip overall! The Aikido classes sound like they were interesting!

Sounds like things are getting a little better house wise. Hope Elf's appointment goes well next week

Last night I got home and saw that Elf had done the dishes and cleaned the bathroom. Dumbledore was in the middle of doing laundry. Elf was helping keep Dumbledore on task because Elf also needed to do laundry. They are both really trying to do their part. :love_heart:

I was still tired and did not get much done. Put away one load of laundry and packed up food for lunch. I think I'm still recovering from two days of bad sleep. I was good about practicing internal power exercises. Only for a little while, but it's a start.

Gaming got cancelled for tonight, much to my relief. That means I can go to bed early and maybe get a head start on weekend chores. I'll feel a lot better about it having an extra 3-4 hours. One of my tasks is to clean out the fridge. I had some dodgy leftovers for breakfast. I'm still feeling that now. Not eating until tomorrow sounds like a good idea at the moment.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 5:23 PM, Mistr said:

One of my tasks is to clean out the fridge. I had some dodgy leftovers for breakfast. I'm still feeling that now. Not eating until tomorrow sounds like a good idea at the moment.

Oh yeah. It was worse than I thought. I spent Friday evening in a GI tract evacuation. Saturday I was washed out, but figured that my system was empty and it was safe to eat a little. I did not go to practice because the idea of rolling made me blanch. Dumbledore and I had a nice quiet day together. We went out for supper and saw Captain Marvel. He was a saint and disposed of all the past-date food from the fridge.

I was fine all day and through the movie. In the wee hours of the morning my system decided things were NOT OKAY again. I don't think it was the food, although fries, a few bites of cheeseburger and a little vanilla shake were probably not the healthiest choice I could have made. My stomach was fine the whole time. I think there was some residual nasty microbe in my lower GI tract that revived when it got more nourishment. Sunday morning I felt fine and resolved not to eat until 6pm to give my system a full 24 hours of being empty.

It was weird being hungry and not wanting to eat at the same time. I drank a lot of water. That helped. I did yoga because all my joints ached. I went to the co-op for organic bananas and random things we needed. Bananas felt like a safe food to start with. I also ate a container of Nosa yogurt for some protein and active friendly bacteria. That made 20.5 hours of fasting. So far it seems to be okay. I ate a can of chicken noodle soup for supper. Elf was making burgers and offered to make me one. No, thank you. All kinds of food I would normally enjoy are on the do_not_touch list at the moment.

Applying this FOR SCIENCE!

My weight has been higher than I want for the last few months - in the 156-158 range instead of in the 150-154 range. I normally weigh myself first thing every Monday. I missed doing that on April 1st because I was travelling. I tried to make good food choices when I was travelling and I was curious to see how that worked out. Then I wanted to see just how much I lost being sick. Here are the fascinating results.

3/25/19  158.4 lbs

4/4/19    156.6 lbs    Down almost 2lbs in about 2 weeks. Way to go!

4/6/19    153.6 lbs    The contents of my GI tract weigh about 3 lbs. I did drink some water and might have been dehydrated, so this is approximate

4/8/19    151.2 lbs    Two pounds in two days through microbe-induced fasting.

I know I only ate 600 calories on Sunday. I wasn't hungry at night or more than usual in the morning. I'm going to be really careful about what I eat today. The batch cooked food from last week that is still in the fridge from Friday? Nope. I'll pick up a salad from the cafeteria. I am curious to see how long my body is choosy about what I eat.

I calculate that I will gain two pounds over the next couple days as my GI tract gets back to normal condition. That should still be in my target range. If I capitalize on the unpleasantness of the weekend, I can stay that range. :D 

• Like 2

Ugh, that sounded horrible. Glad you seem to be mostly recovered.

Really impressed that you visited the out-of-town dojo. Sounds like it took a lot of social/emotional energy to get yourself there, but seems very much worth it.