Mistr wrangles weasels

Mistr

Thank you for your concern. I am feeling much better.

Surprisingly, I have not been really hungry even though I have been eating less than normal. That makes me suspicious that maybe my gut microbes were manipulating me for their own ends. I'll take it as long as it lasts.

I did strength training today for the first time in two weeks. I took it really easy and did mobility work between sets. I can pick it up again moving forward. I felt better afterwards.

I skipped aikido last night to work on the yard. The weather was beautiful and it is supposed to turn nasty tomorrow. I got the front garden raked out. The first bulbs are blooming and the tulips are up. Dumbledore and I got some work done on Saturday. He picked up trash and I got the holiday lights packed up. One thing checked off on my list!

I am making progress on some of the other tasks too. I washed the wool samples, wrote a card and have it ready to mail to my friend. I'll buy international postage and mail it on Friday. I started washing another sweater this morning. Just one more to go after that. I am taking Friday off to get my taxes done. I may work on sanding and oiling my weapons tonight. The weather is going to return to seasonable (cold and wet) for the rest of the week.

The other thing I got done last night was make food. I roasted a bag of pea pods. Normally we would eat these raw, but this bag had been in the fridge for a couple weeks. It had a recipe for roast pea pods with parmesan. Since most veggies are good roasted with parmesan, I thought I'd try it. They are very tasty. I also put a pork shoulder in the oven to roast overnight. Yummy pulled pork in the morning. Elf promised to do more batch cooking of potatos and chicken breast. We just finished up the chicken that they cooked last week. I was making myself a salad for supper when Dumbledore wandered into the kitchen. He said it looked good, so I helped him make one. We almost finished two bags of salad mix that are past their best-by dates. I feel like I am doing my duty as a good influence. :angel:

• Like 4

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

Agh, belated sorry that you were not feeling well!  GI bugs are the least favorite.  also no fun.  I'm glad you sound like you're on the mend.  

On 4/9/2019 at 5:31 PM, Mistr said:

We just finished up the chicken that they cooked last week. I was making myself a salad for supper when Dumbledore wandered into the kitchen. He said it looked good, so I helped him make one. We almost finished two bags of salad mix that are past their best-by dates. I feel like I am doing my duty as a good influence. :angel:

NICE!! props for being a good influence on the household eating habits.

The weather was beautiful and it is supposed to turn nasty tomorrow. I got the front garden raked out. The first bulbs are blooming and the tulips are up. Dumbledore and I got some work done on Saturday. He picked up trash and I got the holiday lights packed up. One thing checked off on my list!

Fantastic!  I'm so glad to hear the bulbs are looking nice, and that the holiday lights are packed up.  Yay!

The other thing I got done last night was make food. I roasted a bag of pea pods. Normally we would eat these raw, but this bag had been in the fridge for a couple weeks. It had a recipe for roast pea pods with parmesan. Since most veggies are good roasted with parmesan, I thought I'd try it. They are very tasty. I also put a pork shoulder in the oven to roast overnight. Yummy pulled pork in the morning.

Sage level meal prepping. pea pods with parm and pork shoulder sounds delicious.  I'm going to have to try both of those.  Did you season the pork with anything special?

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

50 minutes ago, Treva said:

Sage level meal prepping. pea pods with parm and pork shoulder sounds delicious.  I'm going to have to try both of those.  Did you season the pork with anything special?

The pea pods are super easy to cook. Heat the oven to 425ºF while you toss the pea pods with a little olive oil. Spread on a baking pan. Bake 10 minutes. Take them out and sprinkle with grated Parmesan (the real kind, not the powder that comes in a green can). Bake three minutes more. Voila!

I used an oven-roasted pork recipe that I found online. I didn't write down the site and now I can't find it to give them credit. My family likes this better than our previous crock-pot method.

Oven-roasted pork shoulder

Preheat oven to 450ºF

Spice rub:

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 Tbsp maple syrup

1 Tbsp Dijon mustard

1 Tbsp minced garlic (more if you like garlic)

1 1/2 tsp thyme

1 tsp salt

1/8 tsp chipotle pepper (optional)

fresh ground black pepper to taste

Rinse the pork shoulder and spread spice rub all over it. Put it in a 9x13" baking pan, fat side up. Bake 20 minutes at 450ºF. Turn the heat down to 300ºF. Cover the roast loosely with foil - not touching the surface of the meat. Bake about 8 hours.

I put this in the oven at 9pm and took it out at 6am and it was perfect. The only problem is that the house smells like food when people are trying to sleep.

Level 62  Viking paladin

Challenge Wrap-up

Short form: I made good progress on a bunch of things.

Looking at the pieces one at a time

On 3/18/2019 at 9:53 AM, Mistr said:

Weasel wrangling round 1:

• Break my bad patterns at work - Wait until after lunch to check my non-work email. No FB at all. Get my support emails done early because they tend to drag me down at the end of the day. See how these three changes go for two weeks before adding anything else.
  • Be selective about what I work on at home. I really don’t have enough time to cook, clean and take care of all the tasks I wish would get done. Rely more on frozen veggies and pre-packed salads for the next several weeks. Be patient and give Dumbledore and Elf time to do cleaning.
  • Give positive feedback to Dumbledore and Elf for all the good things they do. Keep my temper and don’t expect anything. Even if we do consult and they agree to do stuff, the timing is likely to be slower than estimated. Know that this happens and roll with it.
  • Watch out for the get-it-done weasel in the evening. Do prep for the next day early so that I can relax and go to bed on time.

• These were the right changes to make in my work habits. Keep working on them.
  • Saying that I've been selective about tasks would be a bit much. More like I just decided to ignore a whole section of things. That has made me happier. Dumbledore and Elf have done a few things. Elf actually has done a lot of cooking. I did indeed buy more frozen veggies so that cooking is not so critical.
  • I've been working on being positive. I have not gotten on anyone's case about cleaning. When Dumbledore asked me if he could do something, I asked him to do 15 minutes of dishwashing. That worked out well. I've made an effort to give positive feedback.
  • Mixed results on evening chores. Keep an eye on this one. Sneaky weasel.

Non-weasel goals:

Exercise:

• strength training twice a week
  • yoga or bodyweight and mobility training once or twice a week
  • aikido at least two classes a week (not counting teaching). My training partner had knee surgery a week ago and is ready to get back to gentle training this week. Lots more internal power work and weapons katas. Usually two days a week.

Food:

• No caffeine.
  • Minimize dairy. This is a test to see if my GI tract and joint inflamation gets better.
  • Stick with 10/14 IF most days. Keep eating lots of veggies and save the desserts for at home. There will be exceptions - work on having fewer of them and not feeding the brain weasels.

Pretty much on track with exercise. I've done more yoga and less strength training because of travel and being sick. Stay with this plan for now.

Food has been a real mess. I had lots of yogurt over the last week between wanting to re-establish gut microbes and wanting something easy for breakfast. I ate lots of empty carbs last weekend. My weight is still in the target range. I had better clean up my eating if I want it to stay there.

Tasks:

• file taxes
  • budget analysis
  • sand and oil bokken and jo
  • take holiday lights off the bushes
  • buy storage box, pack up clothes on top of dresser
  • wash and store wool sweaters (already partly done)
  • mail yarn samples to my friend in England

Taxes are nearly complete. Dumbledore pointed out that he is starting a side business and that needs to figure in our taxes. Hmmm, I thought that his business was not to that stage yet. So we filed an extension and he is getting the numbers together. All the rest of our taxes are done. Next year we will send the info to an accountant.

I got a bunch of budget work done while working on taxes. I want to keep up the momentum on this and get the rest of the budget analysis set up so that I can keep up with it easily.

The last sweater is on the drying rack. Doing the spring clothing swap will be part of my next challenge.

I've been doing more spinning and knitting. Overall I think I'm less stressed out. Plenty to keep working on.

• Like 3

Level 62  Viking paladin