• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JustCallMeAmber

JustCallMeAmber replaces her placeholder

Oh hey, look, there are goals here now. That's cool.

Bed at 9:30. I’ve set an alarm on my kindle for 9:15, and a reminder on my fitbit and my phone that goes off at 9. Will be moving towards a block of heavier weights (yay!) so sleep will be that much more important.

No evening ‘eating AND ___’. In order to curtail mindless eating in front of TV, or the most problematic area, whilst reading, if we're eating, that is all we are doing. TV goes off, book is put down, phone is asleep. If you’re too tired to make it through that last chapter without the aid of a snack, go to bed. I feel like this is a small enough step that my brain won’t immediately go to ‘you don’t really need to eat that…' to  'EAT ALL OF IT!!@ASJELGTRJKBAKFA’ in approximately 8 seconds.

Read more non-fiction. Since pretty much every. single. time. I set specifics to my reading, stuff that’s been on hold with the library starts auto-downloading, I am going to keep this within an achievable range. One non fic to every non fic. (Can substitute classic fiction if I get bored quickly.) If 2 fic immediately download after I post this, then make the next one a non fic.

2 new recipes by the end of the challenge. I like trying new food. But I have a tendency to do the same ol’ thing week to week. I do feel like I’ve been doing better with more fats, but still working on getting them from non-nut/seed sources. Bonus points if I find good, quick ones to add to my repertoire.

Journal. I’ve had a small journal that I've intended to use for, oh, 4-5 years now. Yeah, it’s still in the wrapper. Step one: open the package. Step two: write something. Anything. Heck, draw a pineapple. Just do SOMETHING with it. Step three: write plans for world domination and/or grocery list.

Checkity boxes

Darn/toss/bleach socks. 1st of two rollover goals from last challenge. I THINK I’ve rounded up all of the ones with holes in them now. Now I get to decide if they spark enough joy to warrant the time it would take to repair them. I also want to bleach out some of the white ones I wear when I run because I sometimes run when it’s muddy.

Eye doctor. I do NEED new glasses. The ones I have are nearing the 4 year mark and the lenses are showing their age. (To say nothing of the worn-out hinges from sleeping in them too often.) And between you, me and the fence post, I did have a leetle bit of trouble reading one of the lines at the DMV this morning. (Plus, I want sunglasses. I miss having ones that don’t look like cataract glasses.)

New watch band. This is quickly passing the “I would kinda like to have..” stage and hurdling towards the “if you don’t replace this soon, you’ll lose your fancy toy outright” stage. Compounding this is having read somewhere that the face of the Charge 2 is apparently prone to cracking. Oh good. This was cheery knowing the band is becoming increasingly loose/easy to inadvertently detach.

Rolling goals:

Daily Devo.

Daily Duolingo. Bonus points for doing both languages.

Daily Skin care.

Walking. 8,000 steps minimum. Bonus level: 10,000. 

#Yoga365 730 1095. Bonus level: 2 sessions/day.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Goals still TBD. Hopefully will know a bit better where I'm going from here after talking to coach tomorrow. In the mean time, here's a random gif:

giphy.gif

I shall await your goals. All of them.

cat pun GIF

23 hours ago, Grumble said:

I shall await your goals. All of them.

giphy.gif

Yeah still working on that. (Also, this guy looks remarkably like a blond Nacho Libre)

15 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Looking forward to hearing about your goals!

giphy.gif

Me too! :lol:

15 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Following!

giphy.gif

Ok, so T minus 30 minutes til call with coach. Should probably mention that this is the first call with my new coach. (My previous coach left the program. I'm not saying I broke her, but I'm not saying I didn't either..) The cool thing is that my new coach is spezzy (!) which is kinda awesome since her story was the one that got me lifting in the first place. But naturally, I'm also a little intimidated by new people. My brain keeps replaying the scene from Canadian Bacon where they get pulled over by the police while in Canada and John Candy's character says, "Just act normal. Act normal. Not normal for us, normal like for regular people."

Oh goodie, found it on youtube!

Spoiler

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

"Just act normal. Act normal. Not normal for us, normal like for regular people."

Love this sentiment! "Normal like for regular people." :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Ok, so T minus 30 minutes til call with coach. Should probably mention that this is the first call with my new coach. (My previous coach left the program. I'm not saying I broke her, but I'm not saying I didn't either..) The cool thing is that my new coach is spezzy (!)

Lol. I'm sure you didn't break the old one.

Yay! She's also my lifting hero and the reason I have this crazy dream of deadlifting 2xBW (then moar! but x2 first) and the reason I even think it is possible. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Love this sentiment! "Normal like for regular people." :D

Lol. It's easy to remember, so even if I get nervous and forget what to do, I can use it as a good cue to pretend to be a normal grown-up type human...

giphy.gif

21 hours ago, Harriet said:

Lol. I'm sure you didn't break the old one.

Yay! She's also my lifting hero and the reason I have this crazy dream of deadlifting 2xBW (then moar! but x2 first) and the reason I even think it is possible. 

I mean, I probably didn't. Probably..  >.>

Hey, that's one of my goals too! :)And when I told her that, she said that was a great goal and also made it sound completely reasonable/achievable. Happy Amber is happy.

giphy.gif

24 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

It's easy to remember, so even if I get nervous and forget what to do, I can use it as a good cue to pretend to be a normal grown-up type human...

There is no such thing.

Everyone is weird in some way, granted some more than others, but there's no such thing as a person without some kind of weirdness to them. People who seem "normal" are either much better at hiding it, or their weirdness is so common that society no longer sees is at weird. There's no such thing as a "normal person"

*puts the soap box away*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2019 at 11:42 AM, JustCallMeAmber said:

New watch band. This is quickly passing the “I would kinda like to have..” stage and hurdling towards the “if you don’t replace this soon, you’ll lose your fancy toy outright” stage. Compounding this is having read somewhere that the face of the Charge 2 is apparently prone to cracking. Oh good. This was cheery knowing the band is becoming increasingly loose/easy to inadvertently detach.

The band for the Charge HR has a design flaw that leads to the band breaking from everyday use. If it's under warranty, Fitbit will replace it for you, no questions asked. If the warranty period is over, they give you a discount on a newer model. I was unaware the Charge 2 had such issues... I certainly never saw any in the years I had mine. I highly recommend the Charge 3. Band issues have been resolved and the screen is much better.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

There is no such thing.

Everyone is weird in some way, granted some more than others, but there's no such thing as a person without some kind of weirdness to them. People who seem "normal" are either much better at hiding it, or their weirdness is so common that society no longer sees is at weird. There's no such thing as a "normal person"

*puts the soap box away*

Thanks! I think this is something I've gotten better about. As the song goes, "I'm an oddity and that's alright." :) It's just that one does tend to want to put one's best foot forward when you're meeting someone for the first time, at least if it is likely you'll see that person again, such as someone you'll be communicating with weekly for the foreseeable future. 

(Strangely I seem to do better with people I'll likely never see again. I guess I figure, 'eh, either they get used to the way I talk, or they'll never talk to me again.')

9 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

The band for the Charge HR has a design flaw that leads to the band breaking from everyday use. If it's under warranty, Fitbit will replace it for you, no questions asked. If the warranty period is over, they give you a discount on a newer model. I was unaware the Charge 2 had such issues... I certainly never saw any in the years I had mine. I highly recommend the Charge 3. Band issues have been resolved and the screen is much better.

Oooh, did not know that. Don't know if that would apply to the 2 or not, but as mine is still under warranty, it would be worth checking into it. I just assumed they wore out over time versus a possible defect.

1 hour ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Thanks! I think this is something I've gotten better about. As the song goes, "I'm an oddity and that's alright." :) It's just that one does tend to want to put one's best foot forward when you're meeting someone for the first time, at least if it is likely you'll see that person again, such as someone you'll be communicating with weekly for the foreseeable future. 

Obviously. Being aware of how others perceive us is a necessary life skill I think schools should be teaching. Along with providing the necessary skills and knowledge about how to adjust our behavior and appearance whenever we want to, for the purpose of controlling those perceptions and help us be the ones who decide what kind of impression we make on the people we meet , for the first time, or more regularly.

I'm unfamiliar with the song you're quoting, so I youtubed it and I like it. (Clever lyrics always manage to lure me.) I think the one that says to wave your flag if you're a freak like me, is a better fit to my overall personality though. :devilish:

30 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I think the one that says to wave your flag if you're a freak like me, is a better fit to my overall personality though. :devilish:

One of grimble's favorite songs is Rock Show by HaleStorm. I may be influencing her musical selection a tiny...tiny bit.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Obviously. Being aware of how others perceive us is a necessary life skill I think schools should be teaching. Along with providing the necessary skills and knowledge about how to adjust our behavior and appearance whenever we want to, for the purpose of controlling those perceptions and help us be the ones who decide what kind of impression we make on the people we meet , for the first time, or more regularly.

I'm unfamiliar with the song you're quoting, so I youtubed it and I like it. (Clever lyrics always manage to lure me.) I think the one that says to wave your flag if you're a freak like me, is a better fit to my overall personality though. :devilish:

Truth!

I'm glad you liked it! My music tastes are ah, somewhat eclectic I suppose. But I'm definitely an OC fan from way back.

That works too! :D

(Of course, waving one's freak flag triggered a half-remembered song by They Might Be Giants. I'll figure out which one at some point. But in conjunction with a posting on another thread, it made me think of this:

Spoiler

Thanks for a happy trip down memory lane :)

21 hours ago, Grumble said:

One of grimble's favorite songs is Rock Show by HaleStorm. I may be influencing her musical selection a tiny...tiny bit.

giphy.gif

She does have good taste.

• Like 1

Love the goals, and the small steps you're taking to make them achievable!

Out of curiosity, what's the motivation for wanting your fats from non-nut/seed sources? Or is that just a code word for "I probably shouldn't get 80%+ of my dietary fat from peanut butter"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Love the goals, and the small steps you're taking to make them achievable!

Thanks! This is in hopes of avoiding goals becoming spectacular flame outs.

giphy.gif

23 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Out of curiosity, what's the motivation for wanting your fats from non-nut/seed sources? Or is that just a code word for "I probably shouldn't get 80%+ of my dietary fat from peanut butter"?

giphy.gif

I feel like your estimated ratio is spot on. Well done, sir.  

• Haha 2

Bed at 9:30. Hmm, let's see Wed and Thurs would've been the only applicable dates within the time period. Did I meet the goal? No. No, I did not. Because naps and basketball. Also, I noticed over the weekend the timer on my kindle did NOT go off for some reason, so I need to check and see why that was the case.

No evening ‘eating AND ___’. Better. Wednesday (day of challenge posting) through Saturday I only had one miss.

Read more non-fiction / One non fic to every non fic. (Can substitute classic fiction if I get bored quickly.)  Um. So I did get an auto-download. (Told ya!) BUT, I think it's close enough to still meet the category? It tells of places of historical significance, they just also include some local flavor...  The World of Lore: Dreadful Places

2 new recipes by the end of the challenge. Not this week.

Journal. Dust wrapper removed? Check. Write something? Check...once. Now to write with some regularity.  How hard could that be? :rolleyes::lol:

Checkity boxes

Darn/toss/bleach socks. 1st of two rollover goals from last challenge. I THINK I’ve rounded up all of the ones with holes in them now. Now I get to decide if they spark enough joy to warrant the time it would take to repair them. I also want to bleach out some of the white ones I wear when I run because I sometimes run when it’s muddy. Check! Final count for repair: 5. The 'bleach' was not a rousing success, but they're definitely cleaner. (I used a bunch of color-safe stuff before throwing in a little actual chlorine at the end. I didn't want to over-do and kill the elastic in the socks.) I also washed my lifting chucks.

Eye doctor. I do NEED new glasses. The ones I have are nearing the 4 year mark and the lenses are showing their age. (To say nothing of the worn-out hinges from sleeping in them too often.) And between you, me and the fence post, I did have a leetle bit of trouble reading one of the lines at the DMV this morning. (Plus, I want sunglasses. I miss having ones that don’t look like cataract glasses.)

New watch band.  Check! Warranty replacement on the way.

Daily Devo 7/7, plus memorization for accountabilibuddies.

Daily duo 6/7. Bonus: 3/3

Skin care 7/7.

Walking. 7/7. 8k steps 73 weeks straight. 10k bonus: 6.

#Yoga365 730 1095 . 7/7. Bonus 4. Pretty consistent with this score. Don't forget front split practice! Done!

Overall, pretty pleased with things. Not 100% by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely moving right along. I've got the ingredients to try some new foods, so we'll see how we do.

giphy.gif

Week 2 begin

• Like 3

Week 2 summary. Whee!

Bed at 9:30. 3/5. Well, it could only go up from last week's score of zero, right? TBF, I did nap through curfew, so at least I didn't miss a lot of sleep. It just wasn't quite in the manner I was aiming for.

No evening ‘eating AND ___’. Uh, right. Then the weekend happened and then I sorta didn't restart.. <_< C'mon, Amber, the cake is a lie and you know it!

Read more non-fiction / One non fic to every non fic. (Can substitute classic fiction if I get bored quickly.)  Um. So I did get an auto-download. (Told ya!) BUT, I think it's close enough to still meet the category? It tells of places of historical significance, they just also include some local flavor...  The World of Lore: Dreadful Places   Finished! Also got a biography which sounded intriguing at the time, but as I was half asleep, I recall nada in terms of who/what I'll actually be reading about.

2 new recipes by the end of the challenge. Made a sheet-pan chicken and veggie dish I saw on MFP blog. I thought it was pretty tasty, but I may have been in the minority. I suppose that is indeed the problem when you are speaking on matters of taste.

Journal. Did really well with this. Logged something on 6 of 7 days.

Checkity boxes

Darn/toss/bleach socks. 1st of two rollover goals from last challenge. I THINK I’ve rounded up all of the ones with holes in them now. Now I get to decide if they spark enough joy to warrant the time it would take to repair them. I also want to bleach out some of the white ones I wear when I run because I sometimes run when it’s muddy. Check! Final count for repair: 5. The 'bleach' was not a rousing success, but they're definitely cleaner. (I used a bunch of color-safe stuff before throwing in a little actual chlorine at the end. I didn't want to over-do and kill the elastic in the socks.) I also washed my lifting chucks.

Eye doctor. I do NEED new glasses. The ones I have are nearing the 4 year mark and the lenses are showing their age. (To say nothing of the worn-out hinges from sleeping in them too often.) And between you, me and the fence post, I did have a leetle bit of trouble reading one of the lines at the DMV this morning. (Plus, I want sunglasses. I miss having ones that don’t look like cataract glasses.) Really should've setup the appointment last week. This week is likely to be FAR busier.

New watch bandCheck! Warranty replacement on the way.

Daily Devo 7/7, plus memorization for accountabilibuddies.

Daily duo 7/7. Bonus: 7/7

Skin care 7/7.

Walking. 7/7. 8k steps 77 weeks straight. 10k bonus: 7.

#Yoga365 730 1095 . 7/7. Bonus 5. Woo! Increased 1 over last several weeks. Don't forget front split practice! Done!

Week 2 was the 1st week of programming by spezzy. Also the 1st time using RPE. Also the first time doing heavier deadlifts in several weeks. So, with all the exciting things, obviously I overshot my mark and wound up with all of the DOMS. All of them. Dialed things back a little this morning, so hopefully I don't whimper every time I move during the next couple of days.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

I do NEED new glasses. The ones I have are nearing the 4 year mark and the lenses are showing their age. (To say nothing of the worn-out hinges from sleeping in them too often.)

Is this normal. I don't wear glasses, so I don't know. But it doesn't seem quite right. 

5 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Week 2 was the 1st week of programming by spezzy. Also the 1st time using RPE. Also the first time doing heavier deadlifts in several weeks.

Yay! Heavy deadlifts! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Is this normal. I don't wear glasses, so I don't know. But it doesn't seem quite right. 

Falling asleep while still wearing glasses? Sure it's normal. Think about all the times someone drifts off on the couch mid-afternoon, after reading in bed, and so on.

Oof girl, I hope you did better on watch bands than I did! My Gear band fell apart and I ordered a cool one which turned out to be itchy and awful and I kind of love not having to wear it anymore. But I also kind of miss having a watch...

5 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Falling asleep while still wearing glasses? Sure it's normal. Think about all the times someone drifts off on the couch mid-afternoon, after reading in bed, and so on.

Oh, I was imagining JustCallMeAmber wearing them to bed deliberately, as one does pyjamas. 

• Haha 1