• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lag a'mhuilin

Lag a'mhuilin Never Learned How to Eat

This is a disturbing fact I realized recently: I don't eat correctly.  I'm in my late 30s and I never learned how.  Sure, I put food in my mouth, chew it, swallow it, and repeat until my plate is empty, but that's the problem, isn't it?  I frequently walk away full--too full. Honestly, I feel like I'm waddling away sometimes.  I don't need to clear my plate.  There's nothing inherently wrong with left-over food.  Most of the time it can be saved for later.  But good food tastes good, and if I'm not really thinking about it, I'll chase that feeling!

That's the key. When I eat I'm not thinking about eating. I'm on auto-pilot. When I do think about it, and this has only started happening recently, I can recognize a point at which I'm no longer hungry, when I'm completely satisfied and shouldn't go on. I consume too many calories in a day because I'm not good at portion size and I'm not mindful of my own needs.

I've been going to the gym regularly, three times a week, for a little over a year now. I started with a personal trainer and am now in a group class where the workouts are a mix of cardio, bodyweight, and weight-lifting. It's really as intense as I want to make it. I've put on a lot of muscle mass in the last year or so, and as a consequence I weigh more than I have in my life, even though my pants size hasn't changed. I can't out-lift my fork.

With the overarching general goal of weight loss (body fat loss), my only goal for this challenge is mindful eating. I'm really trying to build a new good habit here, so I'm going to take it slowly.

The ways in which I plan to be more mindful:

Before the meal

• Prepping meals ahead of time
  • Making a list before going to the grocery store and sticking to it
  • Paying attention to calories when possible. Did you know that one Costco blueberry muffin is 400 calories?! I don't need that!
  • Putting only as much food on my plate as I'll need to eat to not feel hungry (Hopefully learned in time)

During the meal

• Eating more slowly. If necessary, fully putting down the utensil in between bites.
  • Paying attention to when exactly I don't feel hungry anymore and actually stopping. It's not a tragedy to have leftovers, even if they won't be as good the next day. It's a learning experience when I have to toss out food because it wouldn't be good the next day. (I'm thinking of you, already dressed salad!) Also, restaurant portions are ridiculous. They should be ashamed of themselves!

Week 1 I would like to be mindful in one of these ways at least once a day. Week 2, two a day. Week 3--well you get it. That's how I'll measure success.

I'll probably post about my workouts here too. I'm not sure if I'm a warrior, but we'll see how I fit in!

Thanks for reading and commenting! If you know of other ways I can be mindful of my nutrition I welcome your advice.

• Like 2

Day 1

Mindful Eating
Today I wasn't terribly mindful. I plan on prepping some food tomorrow evening. I ate a late lunch, which was really just a small snack of salami and bread. I'm out of bread now, so that will help going forward. I had some Chinese food for dinner after my workout. I should have probably stopped when I was half-way done.

Warm-up

2x: Toy soldiers, Lateral lunge stretches, Forward lunges, 8 push-ups, 8 squat jumps
2 mins of burpees!

Workout
250m row
50 body-weight rows
250m row
50 snatches (20 x 25lbs, 30 x 20lbs)
250m row
50 ball slams (20 x 16lbs, 20 x 12lbs, 10 x 16lbs)
250m row
50 hanging knee raises

First off, Welcome to Warriors! 

tumblr_inline_nyp7b25PgQ1tirgka_500.gif

You are quite the guild traveler. Glad you came to stay. 

Second, isn't your name an alternative spelling of lagvaulin? Excellent scotch. 

Finally, I love the simplicity of your overarching  goal and your understanding of what you need to do to get there. 

What is your experience with meal prepping and actively managing portions? 

1 hour ago, Lag a'mhuilin said:

I'll probably post about my workouts here too. I'm not sure if I'm a warrior, but we'll see how I fit in!

Absolutely you're a warrior. You're paying close attention to what you're eating, and you lift things.That's what we do here. Welcome to the guild!

You do lose points for the burpees, but you're new, so we forgive you. :) 

6 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Second, isn't your name an alternative spelling of lagvaulin? Excellent scotch. 

Um... It's in his signature.

And it's an OUTSTANDING scotch.

8 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Absolutely you're a warrior. You're paying close attention to what you're eating, and you lift things.That's what we do here. Welcome to the guild!

Only if they're attached to a program they devised. If it's used in a class setting there are no warrior points lost. 

Um... It's in his signature.

On mobile, can't see signatures. 

And it's an OUTSTANDING scotch.

I sip corrected. 

43 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Only if they're attached to a program they devised. If it's used in a class setting there are no warrior points lost. 

Fair enough. Also a valid point.

10 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

If it helps, it was part of the warm-up, and I resented every minute of it!

10 hours ago, Grumble said:

What is your experience with meal prepping and actively managing portions? 

Generally on a Sunday or Tuesday I'll bulk prep meals for the week. Usually this involves looking through cookbooks for something that sounds good or falling back on something I know how to make. I mostly cook paleo or paleo-ish meals, and really enjoy cooking. Most recently I roasted a chicken over a bed of potatoes, and I slow cooked a brisket. Every week or so I cut celery, carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, and bell peppers to have on hand for snacks or with a meal, and sometimes I prep a big salad. (I've found that if I just combine leafy greens, carrots, celery, and broccoli it will keep for up to a couple of weeks. Then, I can add cucumbers, peppers, and tomatoes when it's time to eat.)

When it comes to managing portions, though. I don't have that particular skill!

11 hours ago, Grumble said:

You are quite the guild traveler. Glad you came to stay. 

Yeah, I think I've posted with everyone but Warriors at some point. I was considering Adventurers, but there's too much snow for hiking at the moment! I forgot about the guild icon. How do I get the axe?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lag a'mhuilin said:

If it helps, it was part of the warm-up, and I resented every minute of it!

Resenting Burpees is a Warrior right of passage. You're good.

Generally on a Sunday or Tuesday I'll bulk prep meals for the week. Usually this involves looking through cookbooks for something that sounds good or falling back on something I know how to make. I mostly cook paleo or paleo-ish meals, and really enjoy cooking. Most recently I roasted a chicken over a bed of potatoes, and I slow cooked a brisket. Every week or so I cut celery, carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, and bell peppers to have on hand for snacks or with a meal, and sometimes I prep a big salad. (I've found that if I just combine leafy greens, carrots, celery, and broccoli it will keep for up to a couple of weeks. Then, I can add cucumbers, peppers, and tomatoes when it's time to eat.)

Meal prep on point.

Also, the internet is your friend for paleo recipes. Just stay away from pinterest. It's the devil. Get @ me  @CourtnieMarie

When it comes to managing portions, though. I don't have that particular skill!

Tips for portion control as you teach yourself the skill. These are what has worked for me.

Use your hand. Open palm for proteins, closed fist for carbs, the rest for veggies.

Use smaller plates and just go with a half veggie, quarter protein, quarter carb.

This is a big part of mindful eating, but eat slow. have a conversation. Take your bites thoughtfully. Actively think about how full you feel while you eat. This also means you can't decide to eat 10 minutes before you need to leave, or eating chinese food in front of the tv (These aren't specific to me, don't look at me like that! I'M JUST FINE!)

Yeah, I think I've posted with everyone but Warriors at some point. I was considering Adventurers, but there's too much snow for hiking at the moment! I forgot about the guild icon. How do I get the axe?

Go to your profile, click edit profile, change class to warrior.

Warriors hike too, hell, I'm doing a marathon. We just lift first everything else second.

5 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

pinterest is to recipes as hermione's purse is to everything you ever need ever

You leave Hermione's purse out of this. It's ONLY used for good. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Curl Brogo said:

I'm more of Laphroaig man, but hey, welcome aboard!

To quote Whiskey tribe:

"The best whiskey is the one you like to drink, and the best way to drink it is how you like it."

Unless you mix Any of the above with coke, then you're a monster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

I'm more of Laphroaig man, but hey, welcome aboard!

Ever had Uigeadail or Dark Cove, both by Ardbeg? Dark Cove is the best peaty scotch I've ever had. The flavor lingers for quite a while after you're done.

4 hours ago, Lag a'mhuilin said:

Ever had Uigeadail or Dark Cove, both by Ardbeg? Dark Cove is the best peaty scotch I've ever had. The flavor lingers for quite a while after you're done.

Oh, Dark Cove gives me the warm and fuzzies. I think that might need to be my celebratory scotch after the marathon. 

14 hours ago, Grumble said:

To quote Whiskey tribe:

"The best whiskey is the one you like to drink, and the best way to drink it is how you like it."

Unless you mix Any of the above with coke, then you're a monster.

so i don't like whiskey/whisky but i've had to do some research for work as a Kentucky distillery has had a couple environmental releases over the past year. from what I've read, whiskey - spelled with an 'e' - is reserved for whiskey from the US, specifically KY. Whisky (no 'e') is reserved for Scotland whiskey, aka Scotch.

my research still didn't answer my question as to how Fireball has the right to put Whisky on their label.

38 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

so i don't like whiskey/whisky but i've had to do some research for work as a Kentucky distillery has had a couple environmental releases over the past year. from what I've read, whiskey - spelled with an 'e' - is reserved for whiskey from the US, specifically KY. Whisky (no 'e') is reserved for Scotland whiskey, aka Scotch.

Regional spelling actually. The TYPES of whiskey are defined by region; ie scotch can only be from scotland, bourbon from the US, and irish whiseky from Ireland. Then you can get into the way whiskey is made which separates the field further, but I digress. Scotland, Japan, and Canada all spell it whisky. Whereas Ireland, and the US, throw in extra letters they got from mugging another language in a dark alley.

38 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

my research still didn't answer my question as to how Fireball has the right to put Whisky on their label.

Fireball shouldn't have the right to be sold. I hear that's what they'll be using if there's ever a formaldehyde shortage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Day 2 (3/19)

Mindful Eating
I was pretty successful today. At lunch I put down my fork between bites and only ate half of what I would have normally eaten. Consequently, I was hungry again after a few hours, which is to be expected if I'm suddenly consuming fewer calories than my body is used to, so I had some veggies as a snack. At dinner I ate the other half, not quite as mindfully, but at least I was more aware of the portion size by that point.

I made a list for meal prep, went to the store, and stuck to the list. I prepped a giant salad and veggies last night and have some more prep to do tonight (chicken for the salad and slow cooked beef stew with a chuck roast).

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Lag a'mhuilin said:

I was pretty successful today. At lunch I put down my fork between bites and only ate half of what I would have normally eaten. Consequently, I was hungry again after a few hours, which is to be expected if I'm suddenly consuming fewer calories than my body is used to, so I had some veggies as a snack. At dinner I ate the other half, not quite as mindfully, but at least I was more aware of the portion size by that point.

That's an epic success. Not only did you perform some portion control, you also recognized the WHY of your hunger and mitigated it properly. That's huge. Good job.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

That's an epic success. Not only did you perform some portion control, you also recognized the WHY of your hunger and mitigated it properly. That's huge. Good job.

What he said. I'm soo very bad at meal prep so I'm always impressed by that as well.

1 minute ago, scalyfreak said:

What he said. I'm soo very bad at meal prep so I'm always impressed by that as well.

Can't wait to see how you incorporate this into a future challenge. :D

22 hours ago, Lag a'mhuilin said:

I'll keep an eye out for these... but admittedly I don't really shop around or search, I just try whatever winds up in front of me.

9 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

If you have any association with Fireball, whether making, distributing, selling, or consuming, do you give any fucks whatsoever about anything?

• Like 2

On 3/19/2019 at 10:20 PM, Grumble said:

Oh, Dark Cove gives me the warm and fuzzies. I think that might need to be my celebratory scotch after the marathon. 

Last weekend I passed out water at an annual half marathon in my town that ends with free beer for the runners. I can't imagine wanting alcohol after a long workout like that!

Day 3 (3/20)

Mindful Eating
I don't think I ate mindfully, but I didn't eat too much. Lunch was deli meat and crackers. Dinner was a salad with chicken.

Apparently yesterday was leg day and I still hurt!...

Warm-up

300 jump rope (sans rope for me. That's a skill I don't think I'll ever need to learn properly!)
2x: 5 push-ups, 5 sit-ups, side to side lunges, toy soldiers, hamstring stretches

Workout
5 rounds:
8 back squats (85lbs)
8 overhead weighted lunges (per leg) (25lb plate overhead)
---
7 min AMRAP:
10 squat jumps
10 DB front squats (20lbs each side)
10 KB swings (25lbs)
(I got through 3 full rounds and the jumps and a couple of squats from the 4th round)
---
4 rounds:
8 shoulder presses (70lb bar first round, 60lb bar other rounds)
1 min plank (odd rounds forward, even rounds split time between right and left sides)

• Like 3

Paying attention to body signals is tricky business, but it seems like you're already better off than at the challenge start. Question: do you eat at a separate dedicated space from/ban tv or cell phone distractions? 

giphy.gif

• Like 2