• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lag a'mhuilin

Lag a'mhuilin Never Learned How to Eat

10 hours ago, Urgan said:

do you eat at a separate dedicated space from/ban tv or cell phone distractions? 

I almost always eat with a book on kindle or the kindle app on my phone. Sometimes in front of the tv. I'm trying to be mindful despite the distraction of a book so that I don't have to give that up.

Week 1: Thursday

Mindful Eating
I can't say as if I was very mindful while I was eating, but after work I really wanted to go to the store and get something sweet like a diet soda or cookie (or few), but I just forced myself to have dinner instead (salad with chicken), and after that I didn't feel like I needed/wanted to go get anything else. I also wasn't terribly full after my meals, so that's good.

Note to self:  At meal time if my body is craving sugar, sweet things, or easy quick calories, I should just have the gorram meal instead!

• Like 1

Week 1: Friday

Mindful Eating
Oh boy... I messed up today. I had a late lunch, ate way too much, not paying attention to signals that I had had enough. I also drank a whole pot of green tea, which isn't terrible, but didn't help me feel less full!

Three hours later, I went to the gym. Let me tell you, the rowing machine is like a stomach pump. I had to keep stopping to burp or wait for my stomach to settle and hope nothing came up! It's late evening after the workout right now. I think I've probably consumed all the calories I need for the day. I still feel full, which is a bummer because a protein shake might help my recovery right about now.

Note to self:  Don't eat too much. This especially applies if I'm eating after 2:00 on a gym day.

By the time I wake up tomorrow morning I will have fasted for about 18 hours. That'll feel good hopefully.

Warmup
500m row
2x: toy soldiers, 5 pushups, 10 situps, 5 burpees

Workout
5 Sets:
10 bench press (105lb first round, 85lbs last 4 rounds. I'm still recovering from a torn muscle while benching back in January)
10 bicep curls (30lbs)
500m row

3 Sets:
10 dips
10 (each side) Russian twists with 20lb db
15 cal airodyne bike

2 sets:
10 burpees
1 min plank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lag a'mhuilin said:

I almost always eat with a book on kindle or the kindle app on my phone. Sometimes in front of the tv. I'm trying to be mindful despite the distraction of a book so that I don't have to give that up.

I find that reading actually helps me stay mindful and follow intuitive eating principles of stopping when I'm full. The book forces me to slow down the actual eating, and my brain never gets into that nearly frantic state of MUST EAT EVERYTHING that leads to me clearing my plate in a third of the time it takes everyone else at the table to finish, regardless of how much food was on that plate. Reading while I chew slowly and eventually swallow, and a page later go for another bite, gives me a chance to evaluate whether I'm still hungry or not. Because I'm eating slower, my stomach has a fair chance to tell my brain it has enough food, before I actually eat more than I need to.

And if you like Ardbeg, you may also like Caol ila. It's a bit smokier than Ardbeg, if I remember right. Similar to Bowmore too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lag a'mhuilin said:

Week 1: Thursday

Mindful Eating
I can't say as if I was very mindful while I was eating, but after work I really wanted to go to the store and get something sweet like a diet soda or cookie (or few), but I just forced myself to have dinner instead (salad with chicken), and after that I didn't feel like I needed/wanted to go get anything else. I also wasn't terribly full after my meals, so that's good.

Note to self:  At meal time if my body is craving sugar, sweet things, or easy quick calories, I should just have the gorram meal instead!

I also mostly eat in front of a screen - my laptop. And I'm also struggling with eating for reasons other than hunger. It's good to see someone else trying to tackle this. Keep going! 

• Like 1

Week 1: Saturday

Mindful Eating

I actually feel pretty good about this. After fasting for ~21 hours(!) I had a good sized late breakfast/lunch around 1:30 and didn't feel overly full. Then I went on a 5 mi walk on some trails around town. At dinner time I prepped my beef stew to slow cook for 10 hours overnight and just grazed on some veggies.

Week 1: Sunday

Mindful Eating

Eh taken as a whole it was a pretty mediocre day for mindfulness. I had a very light lunch and then ran some errands. Around 5 I was pretty hungry and stopped in at Five Guys. The mindfulness here was that even though that wasn't the best choice, I paid attention to the calories on the menu and ordered the smallest things I could. But I also ate a bunch of bread that day. Overall I probably consumed too many calories for the day.

Week 2: Monday

Mindful Eating

Not bad today. Eggs and bacon for breakfast; veggies with dressing, deli meat, and crackers for lunch. Intense workout. Protein shake. Leftover Chinese food for dinner. I never felt super full. I was almost going to go out to eat and stop at a store for some diet soda, but then I remembered I should just eat dinner haha. That worked.

500ish calories for breakfast, probably less than that for lunch, probably a little more for dinner. Should I rebalance that with more for lunch and less for dinner? Or is it good to have more calories post-workout?

Warm-up
5 minutes on treadmill 5.5mph
2x: Side to side lunges, toy soldiers, 8 pushups, 8 situps, 8 inchworms

Workout
All bodyweight today, but so exhausting!
5 mins or 4 rounds: (I was 10 squats shy of completing all 4 rounds)
5 pull-ups (First 2 rounds, and first 2 pull-ups of round 3 unassisted. Then, I started using a light band)
10 push-ups
20 squats

10 mins or 4 rounds: (I almost finished 3 rounds)
8 pull-ups (heavier band on the last round)
16 push-ups
24 squats

10 mins or 4 rounds: (I finished exactly 2 rounds)
10 pull-ups (two bands)
20 push-ups (knee push-ups started at #15 of round 1)
30 squats

2 rounds
30 lunges
10 burpees plank while the other suckers did burpees

image.png.32af10ec42aad3b14b2bd5df8e858ecc.png
Strange Planet by Nathan Pyle

• Like 4

Week 2: Tuesday - Thursday

Mindful Eating

This has mostly been falling apart lately, not necessarily because I'm not mindful, I'm just making bad choices. I'm recognizing when I'm no longer hungry and when I'm getting full, but I'm choosing to keep eating for a number of reasons that just sound like excuses: I haven't eaten in a while and am was really hungry when I started; I don't want to throw away all this good food -- I even mentioned this in my first post (already dressed salad with chicken in it); there's only a little bit left on the plate. Being aware of the reasons is mindfulness too, I suppose, but this is not how this challenge was supposed to go!

Successes: if I'm particularly hungry in the morning I've found that the grainless granola bars I got from Costco take the edge off until lunch.  210 Calories, 6g sugar (just nuts, seeds, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, and honey). Not all of my meals have been glutinous free-for-alls, and if I feel I've eaten too much at lunch I barely eat anything for dinner. Then I'm hungry in the morning, rinse, repeat.

Fails: I bought 4 boxes of Thin Mints. Why? For nostalgia I guess. They're really not that great. Who can't eat just 4 cookies at a time? This guy! I think these are going out with the trash Sunday evening. I'd take them somewhere to share with people but I work from home, so my gym is really the only community I have to share with! I'm also in the habit of buying loaves of bread and snacking on them. These are good local bakery loafs. It's a $6 a week habit! It seems like when I want a snack I don't have healthy alternatives around that I actually want to eat at the time. What I do have on hand are veggies, almonds, walnuts, those grainless granola bars, string cheese.

Going Forward:
There are some foods that I eat which should be "sometimes foods," and if I decide to eat one, I should make it count -- gourmet fresh baked cookie > an entire column of thin mints. I should probably quit the loaf a week habit, but I won't. That should maybe be a sometimes food too, once or twice a month? For my nutrition plan to work long term I can't be denying myself things I want to eat. I'm trying to teach myself moderation. I should probably also consider having some other less healthy, but not terrible, snacks on hand that will satisfy a snack craving.

----
Wednesday's Workout
Warm-up
2x: Side to side lunges, toy soldiers, 8 pushups, 8 situps, 8 inchworms

Workout
On the minute for 8 minutes:
3 Deadlifts (105lbs / 105 / 127 / 127 / 157 / 157 /157 / 157 / 157)

10 min AMRAP (I think I may have gotten through 4 rounds?)
2 stair runs (up and down the stairs at the gym)
20 weighted lunges (20lbs first round, 15 thereafter)
20 skate jumps

2-4-6-8-10-12
KB Swings 35lbs
Standing broad jumps
Hanging knee raises (on rings)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lag a'mhuilin said:

Fails: I bought 4 boxes of Thin Mints. Why? For nostalgia I guess. They're really not that great. Who can't eat just 4 cookies at a time? This guy! I think these are going out with the trash Sunday evening.

tenor.gif?itemid=4953469

I only bought two boxes of Thin Mints. Then I bought two boxes of Savannah Smiles, and one box of Samoas. Yummmmm. :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4953469

I only bought two boxes of Thin Mints. Then I bought two boxes of Savannah Smiles, and one box of Samoas. Yummmmm. :)

I have bought zero girl scout cookies this year. I'm very proud of myself.

I'm also in the habit of buying loaves of bread and snacking on them. These are good local bakery loafs. It's a $6 a week habit!

Bakery bread is amazing. It's not everyone's favorite thing, but crostinis out of sweet potatoes have been a really nice change of pace for my carb consumption and they manage to tickle my sweet tooth at the same time.

This has mostly been falling apart lately, not necessarily because I'm not mindful, I'm just making bad choices.

Ahem, if I may direct you to your goals...

On 3/18/2019 at 10:37 PM, Lag a'mhuilin said:

With the overarching general goal of weight loss (body fat loss), my only goal for this challenge is mindful eating. I'm really trying to build a new good habit here, so I'm going to take it slowly.

The ways in which I plan to be more mindful:

Before the meal

• Prepping meals ahead of time
  • Making a list before going to the grocery store and sticking to it
  • Paying attention to calories when possible. Did you know that one Costco blueberry muffin is 400 calories?! I don't need that!
  • Putting only as much food on my plate as I'll need to eat to not feel hungry (Hopefully learned in time)

During the meal

• Eating more slowly. If necessary, fully putting down the utensil in between bites.
  • Paying attention to when exactly I don't feel hungry anymore and actually stopping. It's not a tragedy to have leftovers, even if they won't be as good the next day. It's a learning experience when I have to toss out food because it wouldn't be good the next day. (I'm thinking of you, already dressed salad!) Also, restaurant portions are ridiculous. They should be ashamed of themselves!

Week 1 I would like to be mindful in one of these ways at least once a day. Week 2, two a day. Week 3--well you get it. That's how I'll measure success.

This is a mindset change and you had it right from the start where it's good to take it slow and dissect why you make the choices you do. I think it's fair to judge this by the standard you set, which is taking on one additional thing per week. It sounds to me like you're doing really well. You realize Thin Mints aren't that great and are making a new plan based on that knowledge before all them have been eaten. You can work on improving your relationship with leftovers, sure, but even that is far from a total loss because you're still actively wrestling with it.

As for the Thin Mints...mebbe take those cookies and stick them in the freezer? If you really want them, you'll have to thaw them out and that takes time. If you want to be extra clever you could pre-portion them out before freezing? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Urgan said:

mebbe take those cookies and stick them in the freezer?

this is a great idea and i would definitely eat them frozen.

i have my feelings on food restrictions but for your challenge and the sake of food waste I'll bring up something i did when i was restricting. for good or ill, the habit has stuck since letting go of food rules. i always put half the amount i think i'll want on a plate. eat that, let it settle (i eat really fast) then decide if I want more. it has eliminated food waste and some uncomfortable fullness. i do still eat past being full sometimes bc food is awesome.

5 hours ago, Lag a'mhuilin said:

I'm recognizing when I'm no longer hungry and when I'm getting full, but I'm choosing to keep eating for a number of reasons 

Me, too. I'm getting really good at knowing why I'm eating this. "This is for pleasure". "This is because I'm tired and want a pick-me-up". "This is because I am desirous of something chewy." And then I eat the things. Awesome mindfulness skills.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2019 at 11:24 AM, Urgan said:

This is a mindset change and you had it right from the start where it's good to take it slow and dissect why you make the choices you do. I think it's fair to judge this by the standard you set, which is taking on one additional thing per week.

You're right. One thing I haven't been doing, which would probably help is to actually give myself points or check it off in a spreadsheet when I meet the goal I set out for myself.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:24 AM, Urgan said:

mebbe take those cookies and stick them in the freezer? If you really want them, you'll have to thaw them out and that takes time.

On 3/29/2019 at 1:28 PM, CourtnieMarie said:

this is a great idea and i would definitely eat them frozen.

I have always stored Thin Mints in the freezer. They thaw great in mah mouth!

Week 2: Friday - Sunday

Mindful Eating (2 things per day in week 2)
Friday: (
2)
1) Lunch was a small salami sandwich with a bowl of veggies. I think I ate it over the course of 2 hours, grazing on the veggies. Took it slow and didn't feel too full for the gym.
2) Prepped a protein shake, sans water, to bring with me to the gym since the workouts have been more intense lately.
Saturday: (
2)
1) Ordered a salad instead of fries to go with my burger.
2) Purposefully ate dinner a little earlier than I would have (due to not being hungry) because I attended a comedy show and knew that if I didn't eat beforehand I would be so hungry afterward I might eat crap food or too much food!
Sunday: (4)
✔✔ 1 & 2) Went to both Costco and the grocery store with shopping lists in my head. The only food I bought were fruits and vegetables to prep for this week and some more of those grainless granola bars.
Throwing out the rest of the Thin Mints
Prepping the veggies

----
Friday's Workout
Warm-up
1x: Side to side lunges, toy soldiers, 8 pushups, 8 situps, 8 inchworms

Workout
20-15-10:
Pull-ups (assisted by thinnest band)
Front Squats (with two 25lb dbs)
Lunges (with two 25lb dbs/15/15)
Hanging leg lifts (on rings)

20-15-10:
Push-ups

Sit-ups (with 15lb plate)
Bent over rows (50lb bar)
Wall balls (12lbs)

• Like 3

I'm behind a whole week and a half on posts, so here goes

Week 3: Monday - Sunday

Mindful Eating (3 things per day in week 3)
This is where the goals really fell apart. It turns out that 3 things a day was pretty ambitious for me while trying to form a new habit. I should stick with 2. My mindfulness came in spurts when I remembered to be mindful. Next challenge goal is mindfulness mindfulness! Also, this week mindfulness came in the form of recognizing some patterns or truths about portion sizes, things that I can actually turn into guidelines for myself...

Example 1: I went to X pizza place and ordered an individual pizza for myself, which was less pizza than I would have normally eaten, but it turns out that it was more pizza than I needed to eat. So the guideline is "when I go to X pizza place I should order the individual pizza and side salad, only eat half the pizza, and take the other half home."
Example 2:
Went to get Chinese food and modified the order I usually get so it was about 50/50 chicken and broccoli instead of all chicken. Guideline is, "when I go to the Chinese restaurant order the broccoli chicken with the sauce from the other dish I like."

It was my birthday on Saturday. I received a box of Mrs. Fields cookies and brownies in the mail on Thursday, sampled a couple and put the box in the freezer. Unlike Thin Mints, these are all individually wrapped and would need to thaw or be placed in the oven for a few minutes, so it's a lot easier to moderate them. Since Thursday I haven't had any more.

Workouts
I did have workouts M/W/F but I forgot to record them! Wednesday there were a lot of squats... I remember Friday:
Friday
10 mins:
10 cal row
3 stair runs

2-4-6-8-10-12-16 (only got through the 10 set in the 20 min time limit) reps of:
pull-ups (first 9 were un-assisted),
burpees,
shoulder press

wall balls

• Like 4