• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kwesadilo

Kwesadilo finishes paperwork

I moved several months ago, and I have completed most of the urgent chores involved in that project, but a few linger. Lately, Uncle Sam has added another urgent chore to that list. I really hate doing paperwork, shopping, and making phone calls, and that has led to a lot of procrastination on my part but I just want to be done with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5QIUYg5M6w

Goals

• Keep Texas Method going. This is my second week doing it, and nothing terrible has happened so far. I don't think I've been doing it for long enough to know whether it's going to work well, but I intend to at least give it a fair shake.
  • Get to bed on time 5 days each week. I've been doing a decent job of this, but I'd like to get to the point where getting enough sleep feels automatic.
  • Finish my move chores. At this point, that entails opening a local bank account and changing my address with my correspondents. Surely, surely, I can finish perhaps 4 hours of work in 4 weeks, right?
  • File my taxes on time. Although this should also only take a few hours, it is perhaps my least favorite activity in the whole world, and it will be accompanied by weeping and gnashing of teeth.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, kwesadilo said:

File my taxes on time. Although this should also only take a few hours, it is perhaps my least favorite activity in the whole world, and it will be accompanied by weeping and gnashing of teeth.

The worst. Im lucky that I have a spouse that likes that tax stuff. Are you doing it yourself or using a tax service/prepper? 

On 3/18/2019 at 10:49 PM, Grumble said:

The worst. Im lucky that I have a spouse that likes that tax stuff. Are you doing it yourself or using a tax service/prepper? 

I'm doing it myself. I paid someone to do it last year, which I viewed as money well spent, but I moved, and by the time I started thinking about taxes, it seemed like it would be too late to perform the research necessary to find a tax preparer I felt good about, at least at the pace that I would have been likely to complete that task.

On 3/18/2019 at 10:50 PM, scalyfreak said:

Ew for paperwork!

Are you awarding yourself extra points if you finish it ahead of time?

I've stopped assigning stat awards to my goals, if that's what you're referring to. I might splurge on something if I finish early, now that you mention it.

• Like 1

Week 1 update

• Lifting: On Saturday, I strained my right trap during my heavy set of overhead presses, which I nevertheless made. It was pretty stiff on Sunday, and I was afraid that I might have to skip today's workout, but none of my lifts hurt it, and volume day was pretty easy, all things considered. It feels better now than when I woke up. Lifting FTW! In other news, I squatted 300x5 (really 300 x anything) for the first time since hurting my back in late 2017, and I deadlifted 320x5 for the first time since before I moved.
  • Sleep: Got to bed on time Monday through Thursday and Saturday.
  • Move chores: Did nothing.
  • Taxes: Spent about an hour on this over the course of two days, much later in the day than I had intended. I didn't accomplish very much, but I did discover that some income that I thought I would have to hunt down weird forms for was already included in my W-2 and withheld appropriately, so this whole process might be simpler than I had imagined.
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, kwesadilo said:

In other news, I squatted 300x5 (really 300 x anything) for the first time since hurting my back in late 2017, and I deadlifted 320x5 for the first time since before I moved.

Nice! So the back injury is behind you, then. Uh, no pun intended. 

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Harriet said:

Nice! So the back injury is behind you, then. Uh, no pun intended. 

It's been gone for about a year now, but since then, I've been working my squat back up very slowly, trying to make sure that my form doesn't deviate in the way that caused the original injury.

• Like 1

Week 2 update

• Lifting: I've continued to make progress and basically stay on schedule. I did 2 fewer RDL reps tonight than I had planned, but I think the most likely culprit was grip training on Sunday, which, in retrospect, was ill advised.
  • Sleep: Got to bed on time Monday through Thursday and Sunday, although there were some close calls.
  • Move chores: Still did nothing.
  • Taxes: I think I finished my federal taxes, after staying up very late on Saturday. That's pretty lame, but there was surprisingly little weeping.
  • Like 4

Week 3 update

• Lifting: Things are mostly going according to plan, but I missed an overhead press rep on intensity day. Given the state of my other lifts and the relationship of my current intensity weight (118 lbs.) to what I've done historically, it seems hard to believe that I've already gotten to the point where I need to transition from 1 set of 5 to 2 sets of 3. I might need to increase pressing volume. My deadlift on Friday was affected by climbing earlier in the day but not to the extent that I missed my programmed reps, and my RDLs tonight were fine.
  • Sleep: Got to bed on time every day but Sunday.
  • Taxes: I am ready to file my federal and state taxes, but I still need to do my local taxes. I think I'm about 6 hours in at this point.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

I don't know texas method well, what is intensity day and how does it differ from the other days?

I'm looking for a new program, so now I want to know more about the Texas method as well. :)

On 4/9/2019 at 10:24 AM, Grumble said:

I don't know texas method well, what is intensity day and how does it differ from the other days?

On 4/9/2019 at 1:22 PM, scalyfreak said:

I'm looking for a new program, so now I want to know more about the Texas method as well. :)

Texas Method is kind of a program template that is organized into 3 training days per week with weekly progression. Monday (for example) is volume day, where you accumulate the volume that will drive the gains for that week. Wednesday is light day, where you recover from the past week's workouts. Friday is intensity day, where you set new PRs. Right now, my programming looks approximately like this:

• Monday: Squat 5x5x90% of Friday's weight, bench press 5x5x90% of Friday's weight, RDL 3x8x~70% of Friday's deadlift weight
  • Wednesday: Squat 3x5x90% of Monday's weight, overhead press 3x5x90% of Monday's weight, power clean 3x3x hopefully more than I did last week
  • Friday: Squat 5x5lbs more than I did last Friday, bench press 5x5lbs more than I did last Friday, deadlift 5x5lbs more than I did last Friday

Every other week, I swap pressing movements so that overhead press is the heavy lift, and bench is the recovery lift, so the pressing movements only really go up every 2 weeks. I am still messing with the exact formulation. Texas Method is more of an idea than a spreadsheet.

It's not radically different than the heavy-light-medium programming that I was doing before, but to my mind, it has two advantages that I hope will play out:

1. Because most of the volume comes in a different workout than the one where the most weight is handled, I can adjust volume and intensity somewhat independently.
  2. Because I'm only doing 1 set on intensity day, I can work closer to my true 5RM and also not feel quite as wiped out by the end of my workouts.

Alternating bench and overhead press as the heavy lift for the week is also new for me, but there's no reason that I couldn't have done that with HLM. I just didn't think of it.

• Like 3

Week 4 update

• Lifting: Generally, things seem to be gong OK. I've mostly done a good job of avoiding blowing out my grip before heavy pulling workouts. My bench is 2.5 lbs away from my all-time 5RM. Most lifts are progressing smoothly. I did repeat my squat weight from last intensity day this week, because I thought my form was slipping a little bit last week. Last night, for volume day, I did 6 sets of overhead press instead of the usual 5. Hopefully that will be sufficient to unstick intensity day overhead presses.
    • I think this has gone about as well as could be expected.
  • Sleep: In bed on time Monday through Friday.
    • 100% complete.
    • A whopping 0% complete.
  • Taxes: Filed. I think this took like 10 hours overall.
    • 100% complete, although there remain a few small things to make next year easier that I should do now, while I'm thinking about it.

Although finishing my taxes felt like a gargantuan effort, I didn't really chug through as much paperwork as I had intended during this challenge, and, sure enough, more to-dos have piled up during the past 4 weeks. My desk is a little cleaner than when I started, but not by much.

• Like 2