No registered users viewing this page.

Scalyfreak harnesses the Gift of Anxiety

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out of nowhere, it hurts. Just for a moment. Then it stops and all is well for several days, and then suddenly, it hurts again. Needles, pressure, right underneath the skin, gnawing and biting to get

Squatted 100 lbs through three work sets this evening. I am rewarding myself with the earrings.  

I saw this on Facebook, and now I want it on a tshirt.  

Posted Images

On 3/23/2019 at 8:47 PM, Harriet said:

Looking good. Triple points for working out (at a reasonable level) when tired.

Oh, I thought nanowrimo was something you did at home/on the internet. You can go camping and write? That sounds super cool! I hope your cabin is filled with people with the best stories. and nice manners. who don't snore. 

On 3/23/2019 at 8:52 PM, scalyfreak said:

A cabin is a private forum for a small group of writers, for moral support and for helping each other out when we get stuck. That's where I got the name for my space station last summer, I asked my cabin for suggestions.

Most of the writing is done at home/online, but NaNoWriMo has local groups, with region liaisons who organise events like a write-in in a local library or coffee shop, that people can go to for writing alongside others, if they want to. I'm sure @Gemma can tell you more about that if you're curious though... :) 

On 3/23/2019 at 9:00 PM, Harriet said:

Ohhhh. I thought for a second you were going to go into the woods to write. That would have been romantic. But private forums sounds super helpful, too. 

I am lame and missed this!

I am a NaNoWriMo municipal liaison. Scalyfreak described it very well, we coordinate local groups to get together for write-ins, kickoff parties, TGIO (thank goodness it's over!) parties, and general mutual support. Community is a humongous portion of NaNo and we take it very, very seriously.

My region is so geographically spread out that we don't actually do as much in person, but I moderate our regional forum and a group FB page (one of the very few actually useful uses of the Book of Faces, IMHO) and do a lot of virtual write-ins, chatroom meetings, and group word sprints (okay, y'all, we are doing 15 minutes of writing as fast as you can starting on the half-hour. Report your wordcount back here. Optional prompt is 'Fat Orange Cat' - aaaaaaand Go!)

But that is November - actual, legit, NaNoWriMo. We the insane also do two months a year of Camp NaNoWriMo in April and June. It is more laid back, you can set your own goals. In other words, it doesn't have to be 50,000 words, it might be 15,000 words. Or 10 cumulative hours spent editing an existing rough draft. Or 9 completed pages of a graphic novel. Or ... whatever.

But in keeping with the "Camp" theme, the community comes from Cabins - private chatroom areas of mutual support, up to 20 campers per cabin. You can be sorted into random cabins with a bunch of strangers (don't recommend), or set up your own if you know a pile of other campers. Or do what Scalyfreak has done and go through the forums to find one that seems to suit, that is wise and I've never tried it. I'm in a cabin with a gaggle of other MLs this year, we'll see how that works out.

Bonus information that you didn't ask for - NaNoWriMo is up to its fountain pen nibs right now in a completely new website re-design, and one of the groovy cool new features is more and better support for community groups, both regions and cabins. Another awesome upgrade will be that Big November NaNo and Camp NaNo will live on the same website.

Until that goes live, Camp lives here: https://campnanowrimo.org 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Gemma said:

But in keeping with the "Camp" theme, the community comes from Cabins - private chatroom areas of mutual support, up to 20 campers per cabin. You can be sorted into random cabins with a bunch of strangers (don't recommend), or set up your own if you know a pile of other campers. Or do what Scalyfreak has done and go through the forums to find one that seems to suit, that is wise and I've never tried it.

I am happy with the group I ended up with. Although we haven't officially started camp, all the campers in my cabin have been very active so far. We have a wide variety of genres and goals represented, multiple countries, and a wide span of age and life experience. The one thing we all have in common is that we live busy lives and struggle to make time for writing.

My local community liasion thinks that in-person write-in events at a coffee shop is a great idea. I completely agree. I do not agree with having them at 6:00 AM on Monday mornings. :blink:

31 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Bonus information that you didn't ask for - NaNoWriMo is up to its fountain pen nibs right now in a completely new website re-design, and one of the groovy cool new features is more and better support for community groups, both regions and cabins.

This would be great. Having a forum and a real time chat, instead of a weird conversation tools that tries to be both, would be fantastic.

2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I am happy with the group I ended up with. Although we haven't officially started camp, all the campers in my cabin have been very active so far. We have a wide variety of genres and goals represented, multiple countries, and a wide span of age and life experience. The one thing we all have in common is that we live busy lives and struggle to make time for writing.

My local community liasion thinks that in-person write-in events at a coffee shop is a great idea. I completely agree. I do not agree with having them at 6:00 AM on Monday mornings. :blink:

Glad you found a good cabin! For the past few years I've just let the site random-assign me to one, and I've wound up posting random thoughts out into the void with no response. Solo camping, listening to crickets - not terrible, but not supportive either. 

We do in-person write-ins in the library community room on weeknights, usually 6-8 p.m., and/or at a coffee shop on Saturday mornings. But, like, 9 a.m. Not 6. I'm up at 6 on Saturdays but I would NEVER expect that of anyone else. 

Challenge update!

Harness the body: Go to the gym and lift things.

The shiny award has arrived! I can tell I will be wearing these earrings a lot. They are subtle, close to unique, and very me.

I'm continuing to lift with my modified Greyskull program, but it's starting to feel stale. I'm stalling out on several of the lifts, and coming around to the conclusion that if I want to continue to make progress and become stronger, I need to introduce some variety. Essentially to help the big lifts progress by building the muscles that assist with the big lifts.  My Progression app has several programs preloaded, so I'm going to investigate them first, and go from there.

Harness the Mind: Sleep must happen

Sleep continues to happen. I am starting to become better at putting myself to sleep with meditation techniques, and on average I seem to be falling asleep 15-25 minutes after I go to bed. This is dramatic improvement, and I firmly believe that my recent improvement in sleep quality is related to meditating to go to sleep. Apparently when my brain is more relaxed, it sleeps better. This makes sense to me.

Harness the soul, so it can soar: Camp NaNoWriMo!

I have successfully joined the Cabin for the insanely Busy. I have set my camp goal and uploaded my project, and also managed to find my local NaNo region's Facebook group. I have joined and discovered that very few in the group are doing Aprl camp, but several members are part of a local Wordsmiths group that meets every week. They have workshops and write-ins and other fun things I will learn more about as soon as my request to join their private Facebook group has been approved. :) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

I'm continuing to lift with my modified Greyskull program, but it's starting to feel stale. I'm stalling out on several of the lifts

How do you define stalling? I'm coming to learn that slower progress is normal, but what for you counts as too slow? 

Sleep continues to happen.

Excellence continues to occur. Carry on excellently. 

34 minutes ago, Harriet said:

How do you define stalling? I'm coming to learn that slower progress is normal, but what for you counts as too slow? 

When I am not making any progress at all, after several attempts.

Example:

My OHP is currently at 65lbs. The way I track, that means 65 lbs for three sets of five reps, without losing form. Next step in my progression is to do my warmup sets then one set of 70 lbs, and the remaining two work sets at 65 lbs, without losing form. In a perfect world, progressing from 65 lbs OHP to 70 lbs OHP for me looks like this:

1. Set 1-3 65 lbs

2. Set 1: 70 lbs. Set 2-3: 65 lbs

3. Set 1-2: 70 lbs, Set 3: 65 lbs

3. Set 1-3: 70 lbs

Since I live in an imperfect world I have been stuck attempting to get to step 2 in that list, for three weeks now. If I continue to remain stuck there for four weeks or longer,  I will take that as  proof that I need to change my approach and my lifting program, since the way I'm doing things right now is not making me stronger, despite the efforts I'm putting in. My entire reason for lifting is to get stronger, so when that stops happening, I get annoyed.

4 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

My OHP is currently at 65lbs. The way I track, that means 65 lbs for three sets of five reps, without losing form. Next step in my progression is to do my warmup sets then one set of 70 lbs, and the remaining two work sets at 65 lbs, without losing form.

This seems like a useful way of progressing. I've been moving up ALL my sets after hitting my last rep goal. So as soon as I hit 3 sets of 5 at 55 lb it was time to attempt 3 sets of 5 with 60lb. Which was a bit of a shock. I recently decided that if I can't get at least four reps at a given weight, I'll drop the weight for the next sets. I think this leads to more total pounds moved. But yeah, I've been stuck on 60lb for 3 months now. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the programme or just normal, possibly due to illness and starting taekwondo (OHP is very sensitive to my overall energy levels). I'll be interested to see how you change your programme and what happens next. 

OHP is the Bahamut of weight room bosses. The optional one that is so much more difficult than any of the mandatory ones the game throws at us, but once we find it, we can't stop ourselves from tying to beat it.

I've noticed the same things with OHP, and also noticed a huge difference depending on what I've done before attempting OHP. Bench Press good. Pull-ups bad.

• Like 1
On 3/30/2019 at 2:05 PM, scalyfreak said:

OHP is the Bahamut of weight room bosses. The optional one that is so much more difficult than any of the mandatory ones the game throws at us, but once we find it, we can't stop ourselves from tying to beat it.

I've noticed the same things with OHP, and also noticed a huge difference depending on what I've done before attempting OHP. Bench Press good. Pull-ups bad.

Oh... I've been doing barbell rows before OHP for a few weeks now. Maybe that's not ideal. My pulls need more attention, you see. But since all my pulls are sub-maximal maybe they don't need to go first. 

My reasoning when it comes to what I do first and last, is very simplistic. If it requires the weight to be physically above my head, whether OHP or bench press, I do it early in the workout while my muscles are still fresh. I firmly believe in keeping the skull crusher as figurative as possible.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

My reasoning when it comes to what I do first and last, is very simplistic. If it requires the weight to be physically above my head, whether OHP or bench press, I do it early in the workout while my muscles are still fresh. I firmly believe in keeping the skull crusher as figurative as possible.

Overhead HEAVY work should always be while you're fresh. Now, that being said, accessory overhead work can and should be done later in the workout. There's definitely some advantages to lifting while tired. Arnold presses, dB bench, around the world's, etc. 

• Like 2

Lol. Good point. Not that I feel OHP is very dangerous: I typically fail at the very start of the lift, before the bar is even at face level. 

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

Overhead HEAVY work should always be while you're fresh. Now, that being said, accessory overhead work can and should be done later in the workout. There's definitely some advantages to lifting while tired. Arnold presses, dB bench, around the world's, etc. 

Makes sense. Since my pulling work is all medium rep and I'm doing it for every workout, I guess it can go later. Sometimes I do kettlebell swings at the very end. I think they're good for my grip and shoulders. 

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

I always end with accessories. That way I can skip them if I'm too tired. :P

• Like 1
6 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

All part of your important duties as Guild Leader. :P

Absolutely. 

There was also a legitimate edit that the mobile site wasn't letting me update last night. If you're too tired to do the lifts as prescribed, then adjust them downward until you feel like completion can still happen without you going  "1...ok I'm done". Don't give up on the benefit of accessories entirely. Even if all you can do is one set, do the one set.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Grumble said:

There was also a legitimate edit that the mobile site wasn't letting me update last night. If you're too tired to do the lifts as prescribed, then adjust them downward until you feel like completion can still happen without you going  "1...ok I'm done". Don't give up on the benefit of accessories entirely. Even if all you can do is one set, do the one set.

Intellectually I know this and agree with it. Emotionally, my brain and body are tired and want to go home and sleep. :P

• Like 1

Your real talk on anxiety always hits home for me. I've had a rough go - getting and keeping my sleep schedule, but it helps tremendously. Hoping the routine keeps you going in mo' sleep direction.

And gratz on the 100# milestone! Those plate earrings are baller and I'm totes jealz. 

• Like 2

My work has a vending station in the break room, that sells snack packaging of candy and single-serve cookies... these are my kryptonite. Especially the gummy bears. I don't what it is about them, but my cats are more restrained around cat nip than I typically mange to be around gummy bears. Earlier this challenge period I had a very bad day and purchased three (!!) 4 oz bags of gummy bears, one at a time, over the span of 45 minutes. I didn't even realize I was doing it until I caught myself debating whether to buy a fourth bag. I managed to resist doing so thanks to the power of embarrassment.

That afternoon was a bit of a wake-up call, and I decided that I needed to find an easy way to eat something other than candy. I have successfully held my afternoon candy cravings in check with the help of trail mix. It has the chewiness that makes the gummy bears so tasty, and the dried cranberries in the trail mix have the sweetness that the craving is all about.

And the point of this rambling post is to give myself some accountability for this afternoon, because I am out of trail mix, and it is PMS week, so I have sugar cravings through the roof. Must. Resist. Gummi bears.

• Like 3