• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Scalyfreak

Scalyfreak harnesses the Gift of Anxiety

45 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I had a very bad day and purchased three (!!) 4 oz bags of gummy bears, one at a time, over the span of 45 minutes. I didn't even realize I was doing it until I caught myself debating whether to buy a fourth bag. 

Oops. Did you enjoy them, though? 

53 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Earlier this challenge period I had a very bad day and purchased three (!!) 4 oz bags of gummy bears, one at a time, over the span of 45 minutes. I didn't even realize I was doing it until I caught myself debating whether to buy a fourth bag. I managed to resist doing so thanks to the power of embarrassment.

I just spent 25 minutes in our break room contemplating the same thing, before I realized I had pulled out 3 things of reeses cup packages by the scanner. I put them all back and slunk back here to commiserate.

20 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Oops. Did you enjoy them, though? 

Very much. :)

12 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I just spent 25 minutes in our break room contemplating the same thing, before I realized I had pulled out 3 things of reeses cup packages by the scanner. I put them all back and slunk back here to commiserate.

I am currently resisting the gummy bears by not resisting the maple bars a coworker brought in, so...

• Like 2

I did a smart thing! :triumphant:

I never bring lunch to work. Since I don't, I have to get out of the building at least once per day and I'm forced to take a break. Today, a co-worker mentioned in passing that the grocery store less than two block from work, that opened last week, has a huge lunch deli section with tons of delicious food, and he thought people should check it out.

In a stroke of absolute genius, I remembered that grocery stores sell trail mix! To the grocery store I went.

Navigating a large and unfamiliar grocery store can be time consuming, but since I am so brilliant, I was able to find the section that had a whole bunch of trailmixes in large bulk containers. After scrutinizing the dozen versions, I settled on one that has dried cranberries and blueberries, and several different sorts of nuts and seeds. I then took my genius to near-davincian levels by completely failing to notice that there was bulk candy everywhere around the trail mix, and since I didn't notice it, I was of course not able to actually buy any candy at all.

I now have a new and exiting afternoon snack, that shall help me resist the lure of the sweet and colorful gummy bear candy. This will work. (It better work!)

• Like 4

Ugh! Speaking of book worms/dragons...

While doing spring cleaning I went through piles of books... half-started, half-finished, not started, don't wanna finish... basically now I have a giant to-do list of classics, science non-fiction, philosophy, and sci-fi and fantasy. About 30-40 books.

How does one even?

On 4/6/2019 at 3:59 PM, Curl Brogo said:

Ugh! Speaking of book worms/dragons...

While doing spring cleaning I went through piles of books... half-started, half-finished, not started, don't wanna finish... basically now I have a giant to-do list of classics, science non-fiction, philosophy, and sci-fi and fantasy. About 30-40 books.

How does one even?

Grab a stack of books on a day off and plan to do nothing else.

On 4/8/2019 at 11:46 AM, Grumble said:

Grab a stack of books on a day off and plan to do nothing else.

Probably multiple days off. Which sounds kinda awesome if I ever get to that point.

31 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Probably multiple days off. Which sounds kinda awesome if I ever get to that point.

You are there, you've just forgotten about them. It happens to the best of us.

Harness the body: Go to the gym and lift things.

Kept going with this all the way until today. Not nearly enough energy for lifting tonight... I am following the example of other great warriors, like @Harriet and @Mike Wazowski, and taking the evening off and resting so I can lift more later when I am better rested. 

Harness the Mind: Sleep must happen

Sleep has been happening more than usual.I am avoiding looking at the numbers, but I have made great progress in resisting the annoyed little voice that says "no, I'm in the middle of something", when it's time for bed. Anything I'm still in the middle of that late in the evening, can wait until tomorrow. :) 

Harness the soul, so it can soar

Camp NaNo is coming along nicely. Things at work that should have stressed me out to the point they trigger anxiety attacks are for some reason only mildly stressful. I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm spending time thinking about it in the evenings, and continuing to work on figuring it out. The flame is not yet harnessed, but at least for right now, I am able to keep it at a safe distance.

059.gif

• Like 4

On 4/9/2019 at 9:29 PM, scalyfreak said:

Things at work that should have stressed me out to the point they trigger anxiety attacks are for some reason only mildly stressful. I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm spending time thinking about it in the evenings, and continuing to work on figuring it out. The flame is not yet harnessed, but at least for right now, I am able to keep it at a safe distance.

This is excellent. Fingers crossed for more of the same.

Harness the body: Go to the gym and lift things.

When I decided to skip gym on Tuesday and recover instead I had completely forgotten that the organisation I volunteer for was throwing a party for all volunteers to celebrate the end of legislative session. Instead of going to the gym I had pizza buffet and brownies. Ooops? But I had fun, which is what matters. I was supposed to go to the gym on Friday, but ended up staying home with very sick Husband, who was unfortunate enough to have a severe cold over this four days off. Finally made it back to the gym on Sunday, one week after the last time I was there. Pleasantly surprised at the lack of uncontrolled fireballs and similar pyromancy mishaps. 

Harness the Mind: Sleep must happen

Sleep has happened.The amount of sleep has increased a little bit, but more importantly, the quality of sleep has vastly improved. Meditation, and cutting back on alcohol and sugary snacks in the evenings, have made a big difference in how well I sleep when I do sleep. I no longer wake up exhausted and wishing I could stay in bed for another hour or so.

Harness the soul, so it can soar

Reading and writing are fun. Volunteering is fun. The increased amount of sunlight that's a natural part of spring, is most likely also helping.

The flame is not yet fully harnessed, but we are learning how to live with it, without losing control of the flames. The quest continues...

• Like 1