Norgaard:childsplay

Norgaard

Brilliant videos Norgaard, skills coming up!

For what it's worth, because I don't practice HS on the floor but on parallettes, I had a fairly long stage adapting to the power required to place my hips up. It does take quite a bit of energy, it took a while for me to get used to it. I start with hands on parallettes and jump with both feet, which is also probably the most tiring. But all in all, I also feel it mostly in my shoulders / arms, my cue is to keep them super straight during the whole kickup and strong as steel (NO BENDING) + kick up power. Then it feels stable enough to start balancing on.

Kudos for being FEARLESS :)

Your video looks good, the last one in particular, I think time is your friend, practice will do it.

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

On 3/29/2019 at 11:25 AM, @mu said:

Brilliant videos Norgaard, skills coming up!

For what it's worth, because I don't practice HS on the floor but on parallettes, I had a fairly long stage adapting to the power required to place my hips up. It does take quite a bit of energy, it took a while for me to get used to it. I start with hands on parallettes and jump with both feet, which is also probably the most tiring. But all in all, I also feel it mostly in my shoulders / arms, my cue is to keep them super straight during the whole kickup and strong as steel (NO BENDING) + kick up power. Then it feels stable enough to start balancing on.

Kudos for being FEARLESS :)

Your video looks good, the last one in particular, I think time is your friend, practice will do it.

Yeah never underestimate the power of kicking up to P-bars instead! I tried with my new ones with are quite high and I almost didn't get up, so kicking up like you do in a tuck might be a great idea on p-bar so you keep the gravity point closer, even though its more tiring, and your handstands are awesome!.

And yes im sure time is my friend, I know all the drills and what to do, what I have been bad at is not putting in the propper amount of time and consistency, which is the two most important things :D

On 3/28/2019 at 1:56 AM, Manarelle said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f3uncohvFWMVdxp1A

Not sure how to link video. Let me know if that doesn't work. Fairly typical of my attempts - balance, overbalance, underbalance, etc. 

so first things first! love the energy and you look super strong!
Ill take my shoes of if I was you,  they lock your feet in and they are extra weight.

Try to look at your hands on the video. On the attempt where you come up (and then overbalance) contra the onces where you don't.

when you come all the way up you seem to put your hands straight down, which translate to easier energy and momentum in the hips. Where when you don't come up you pressing forward quite a bit. This means that instead of you ur hips just needing to come around your shoulders, they now have to move forward to be inline and then over which require a lot more energy.

But not bad at all! focus on putting your hands at the same spot every time, and thinking of folding down not forward. Hope this make sense in some way? :)

---

So apparently my google account that was send to my university mail and normal mail, was started by the university which means that they could just close it down,. So all my videos are gone (since it was linked to youtube, and thats why its no longer available, alongside this weeks update, so ill do another one this sunday.

My pokemon go died as well, which is sad! :D. anyway everything very busy but I try to get some more time in here to keep you all updated :)

• Like 2

Be like water my friend

On 4/2/2019 at 2:36 PM, Norgaard said:

when you come all the way up you seem to put your hands straight down, which translate to easier energy and momentum in the hips. Where when you don't come up you pressing forward quite a bit. This means that instead of you ur hips just needing to come around your shoulders, they now have to move forward to be inline and then over which require a lot more energy.

But not bad at all! focus on putting your hands at the same spot every time, and thinking of folding down not forward. Hope this make sense in some way? :)

Yup, makes sense, I'll focus on that. Thank you!

Edit: paid attention to down not forward at the gym today, and made a little mark on the floor to aim for. Generally improved, including one attempt where I held it long enough to realize I was holding it, laughed triumphantly while upside-down, and then held it for a few more seconds before overbalancing. Got some odd looks, but worth it. Thank you!

On 4/2/2019 at 2:36 PM, Norgaard said:

So apparently my google account that was send to my university mail and normal mail, was started by the university which means that they could just close it down,. So all my videos are gone (since it was linked to youtube, and thats why its no longer available, alongside this weeks update, so ill do another one this sunday.

Ugh, suck, I'm sorry. Kind of stinky that they just did that without notifying you in advance. 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Pretty darn good for being hung over :) 

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I have to say that hangover didn't seem to stop you much! Nice work.

@Manarelle yay for finding the sweet spot! Honestly I think in your case it's a matter of practice practice practice. I know you said you feel like you have to keep up with a lot of force but seeing as you overshoot more often than not I think you can slow down the movement a lot. I think Norgaard already said a lot of useful stuff so I won't say anything else to avoid confusion, but I do want to emphasize that it's really important to push up through your shoulders, if they said otherwise in the program they are wrong. For one thing pushing through your shoulders will put you in a much more solid position, but more importantly it's needed for shoulder health. If you depress your shoulders in an overhead position (including hanging) your scapulae can't move freely and it's difficult/impossible to put your shoulders completely overhead without impinging the joint. For hanging the cue often works because it's easy to lose the shoulder activation, but a more neutral position is better than keeping your shoulders aggressively down.

I came across this video recently, maybe it helps to see some of the differences in how you kick up. :) But you're doing really great! 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Norgaard said:

So being hungover did nothing good for this :acne:

I'll echo the above opinions that you still did pretty well despite the hangover. Good contact on the contact juggling rolls, you're getting close to sticking that final catch. I noticed, too, that your arms aren't locked on the handstand, you seem to use your elbows to maintain balance when overbalancing forward - is that a sound assessment? 

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

@Manarelle yay for finding the sweet spot! Honestly I think in your case it's a matter of practice practice practice. I know you said you feel like you have to keep up with a lot of force but seeing as you overshoot more often than not I think you can slow down the movement a lot. I think Norgaard already said a lot of useful stuff so I won't say anything else to avoid confusion, but I do want to emphasize that it's really important to push up through your shoulders, if they said otherwise in the program they are wrong. For one thing pushing through your shoulders will put you in a much more solid position, but more importantly it's needed for shoulder health. If you depress your shoulders in an overhead position (including hanging) your scapulae can't move freely and it's difficult/impossible to put your shoulders completely overhead without impinging the joint. For hanging the cue often works because it's easy to lose the shoulder activation, but a more neutral position is better than keeping your shoulders aggressively down.

I came across this video recently, maybe it helps to see some of the differences in how you kick up. :) But you're doing really great! 

Thanks, I will keep putting the hours in, then, and try to sort out the shoulders. :) Thank you!

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

26 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

I noticed, too, that your arms aren't locked on the handstand, you seem to use your elbows to maintain balance when overbalancing forward - is that a sound assessment? 

It is a sound assessment yes. However its not something I will encourage you to do.
I try to do more of it with my fingers.

basically the elbow bend is to change my center of gravity, but its also a Huge waste of energy, but for me it works better because og lacking shoulder mobility and tight chest (which is also why I have the amount of chest flair and "banana" shape.

In the perfect world. move from your hands and your hips and keep everything stable, but its a journey :)

• Like 1

Be like water my friend