• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Acupunk

New Rebel Recruit - First Challenge Accepted March 2019

:star: First time NF Challenger - nice to meet you all! I'm definitely nervous about putting this here but I figured its good to be accountable and to put it somewhere visible. 

A little bit about myself: I'm not the most super-fit/super-confident person you'll meet - i.e. I'm pretty much an awkward introvert with an extreme fear of being in public. A bit contrary to my job I suppose (I acupuncture folks for a living so I spend a lot of time talking to people everyday). I started my fitness journey a few years back when I started to run while I was dealing with a severe depression brought on by the death of one of my long time patients. I sucked at it but I found it was helping me more than the antidepressants and the therapy sessions I was told to go to (I still can't figure out why I liked this activity!!). I sprained my ankle a few times and that derailed my health goals in the last 2 years. I ended up eating most of my weight back and by Xmas last year, I was up to 144 (maybe 145?)lbs. For a shorty at 5'4", that wasn't quite cutting it and running became a burden rather than a joy. I started to scale back the eating in January and in Feb did an elimination diet to help me with some eczema issues. That springboarded my weight goals and I found it helped me with endurance. I was hitting walls with my running, being unable to crack the 20 minute wall. However, I am down to 133lbs today and am able to keep my breath for 30 minutes without dying now. So this brings me here! I am super stoked by seeing how much better I am doing with my physical health since changing my diet and I wanted to see what else I could do!

:angel: Why am I here: really the meta goal is to use exercise to help me manage and deal with depression and anxiety. 

:acne: Short term goals:

1. Stronger abs for better running form. I am doing 3 sets of planks, 30 seconds each, 3 times a week. I already started this last week and I wanted too see if I could push it 5 seconds more this week for each set (and I have so far...I did two out of the three times this week already!)

2. Stronger arms. I have chicken wrists and have been teased about them so I wanted to do something about that. I hate pushups. That's why I want to try doing them. I figured I can do incline pushups to start with. I'm planning 5 pushups a week (yes, that's pretty much all I can do - for now). I will lower the angle down each 2 weeks. No, I haven't started them yet but now that this is here, I will try them.

3. Continue eating better. I am at week 6 of the elimination diet and I can start re-introducing dairy, eggs, wheat (and all gluten, gliadin items). I admit, right now, I don't know if I really want to. Maybe eggs. I miss them. But I don't have any more sugar cravings and energy crashes. I don't miss those. So my goal, is to continue nixing the bread, refined carbs, and dairy and do a whole foods diet (nothing out of a box or plastic bag). This entry here is mainly to hold me to my word!  

That's it - simple list but tall order. 

Its great to be here in good company and to know there are many people here on a health quest, doing the same thing as me. Thanks for taking the time to read and have an awesome day / week!!

• Like 5

those are some REALLY great quests!

a great way to build upper body strength for pushups is childs pose pushups: essentially you start in childs pose with arms extended, fingers spread wide. take the gaze forward and push hips forward, so kinda hands and knees position with knees wide, shoulders stacked over wrists. then lower down for a pushup, and then push back for childs pose. hope it helps! i'm a yoga instructor and I always prescribe these for those with weak upper bodies <3

• Like 1

Aww thanks for that suggestion mmead0105!! That sounds completely doable! I tried my first set of “inclined” pushups on a countertop at work yesterday. It wasn’t as crazy-hard as I thought it was going to be but I like this idea of a child’s pose one. It literally sounds like it’ll be more natural a transition to a full push up since you’re already training on the ground.

Ok!!! I’ll try that! I surprised myself with the countertop ones already. I ended up being able to do ten - maybe I wasn’t doing it right :biggrin-new: and it felt too easy! I’m going to do my planks later tonight and push it to 35 seconds each plank while I’m doing the laundry. Haha - ninja sneak attack style workouts!

Btw I saw your thread and your health quests! I’m feeling inspired by them and I too wish to add more water to my daily goals too. I don’t drink enough (tea and coffee though - no problem!). I’m starting with just 16oz a day if extra water (on top of my usual coffee and tea) tomorrow! Thank you for the awesome suggestion! (That's so cool that you're a yoga instructor btw!)

• Like 1

oh my gosh stop you just made my heart so happy!

that is so awesome you already did some pushups, that means you aren't as weak as you thought :friendly_wink:

and i'm glad I inspired you! and actually its funny, a couple years ago I really wasn't even that into yoga, completed a teacher training wasn't even on my radar. and here I am today, leading 3-5 classes/week! 

<3 

:triumphant: hey!!!! Now that makes me happy back! Not as weak? Hahahahaha.....I guess not. I must admit I was surprised I even got through the first three on the countertop. I realize that Childs pose pushups were a better challenge though - not necessarily harder but you are definitely pushing up more weight but I like the sinking back into child's pose part where you get to relax a bit! I did 6!!! And I felt :victorious:....it's funny how our work sometimes accidentally "finds" us huh? Its so cool that you teach a few times a week and are doing something with your powers for good! I'd like to think that sticking needles in people to help them with health is something beneficial to do. Its hard and you struggle a bit with the dream - since you're self employed - and when your friends and family have steady 9-5s with benefits. Still no retirement savings but I'd like to think I'm doing something good with this...and I don't want to back down from the dream (even if I have to start with one small pushup. One small step - who know's where the leap forward will take place right?) 

Oh....I managed 16 oz of water instead of 16 oz of coffee bwahahahahahahah!!! Victory dance right here!!!! 

• Like 2

Way to go with the push-ups!!!!

I’m sorry, that’s a terrible song, but I had to share because it’s called Victory Dance :P 

• Haha 1

Hahahahahaha - love it! That will be my Victory Dance when I finish my first newbie challenge whooooohooooooo!! I'm doin' it at the end zone (insert gif od funky chicken dance right here)....hmm...I wonder how to do that here. Oh well, IMAGINARY funky chicken end zone victory dance!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

This is awesome!!! Thanks for the encouragement on my quest! Now I am thinking I might have to try an elimination diet too! Good luck! I will be rooting you on as the weeks progress :)

• Like 1

Oh man, all I can say is that eliminating my allergy trigger foods became by default - an instant semi-paleo, semi-vegetarian diet lifestyle and it’s changed not only my skin (which I hear you really should do for a good 3 months as the gold standard) but heck! My fitness routine! I’m stronger (endurance wise) and my recovery periods, post- runs, is shorter and way less painful! :D

Awwww thank you for the encouragement and the cheer! I’m actually pretty nervous about being here on the forums but man what a felling when folks here take the time to give me passing high fives...here’s a fiver back at ya’!!! Truthfully it’s been a pretty bum day at work :cower:for me and seeing your post at the end of the day has given me some wind in my sails..thank you! :congratulatory:

You got this buddy! I’m there in the stands cheering you on ok? Hey do let me know if you decide to tackle the elimination diet. It’s actually a lot easier than you think because most of the sugar and high refined carb cravings disappear by week two and because you don’t crave them so much, you will not be as tempted to cheat and fall back on them! 

• Like 1

Oops! I just realized Adash5000 that I forgot to address you in the above post about the elimination diet! That was meant for you (doh! I’m too trigger happy with replying without addressing to whom!) 

Hey no worries at all! I'll see how I am feeling the next challenge after this one or maybe the one after that. Don't want to fill my plate (haha food pun) too much!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Acupunk said:

Oh man, all I can say is that eliminating my allergy trigger foods became by default - an instant semi-paleo, semi-vegetarian diet lifestyle and it’s changed not only my skin (which I hear you really should do for a good 3 months as the gold standard) but heck! My fitness routine! I’m stronger (endurance wise) and my recovery periods, post- runs, is shorter and way less painful! :D

Wow! That’s great!  It’s amazing what it can do to get rid of foods that don’t agree with you. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adash5000 said:

Hey no worries at all! I'll see how I am feeling the next challenge after this one or maybe the one after that. Don't want to fill my plate (haha food pun) too much!

Haha Adash5000! I am a great appreciator of "drumroll good" puns!! :applause: Its all good - take on your challenges first...the elimination diet can always be used afterwards once those are under your belt. If you need any help getting through one when you feel ready for it though, you can give me a shout! Still cheering from the bleachers! Go go go!!!

1 hour ago, Guzzi said:

Wow! That’s great!  It’s amazing what it can do to get rid of foods that don’t agree with you. 

Man Guzzi, I was so skeptical at first. Really, I was the type of girl who would seriously have been broken down by the sight of snickers bars on a bad day before. I realize now that sugar is indeed like crack ....the more of it thats in your system, the more hooked on it you get!! And that also means, refined carbs that made up like 75% of my daily diet like bread and pasta (and Chicago mix popcorn and potato chips <--- my worst nemesis! :mask: ). It feels nice to walk around like a super chill meditative person now and have people eating cake in front of me while I'm hungry and for me to actually go "Hey, now that I check in with myself, I really am just dying for a good coffee and not the cupcake :cupcake: that goes with it!". There's a liberation that goes with it!! 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:21 AM, Acupunk said:

I realize that Childs pose pushups were a better challenge though - not necessarily harder but you are definitely pushing up more weight but I like the sinking back into child's pose part where you get to relax a bit! I did 6!!! And I felt :victorious:....it's funny how our work sometimes accidentally "finds" us huh? Its so cool that you teach a few times a week and are doing something with your powers for good! 

look at you go!!!

I did full on keto last year, but more of a paleo-keto and once I was fat-adapted I felt GOOD. clean energy allll the time, able to jump out of bed. once you get all the crap out of your system its amazing how you feel! keep up the good work <3

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mmead0105 said:

I did full on keto last year, but more of a paleo-keto and once I was fat-adapted I felt GOOD. clean energy allll the time, able to jump out of bed. once you get all the crap out of your system its amazing how you feel! keep up the good work <3

Wow - how did you feel on the Keto Diet? I've been reading up on it but I am still doing my homework. I don't know if I can handle anything more strong than the first cup of bulletproof coffee (I'm doing a coconut cream version of that because I sometimes skip breakfast before a run). I hear you get amazing results though so hence, I'm still interested in reading up on it. I'm super impressed! 

I know what you mean by good clean energy now though - since ditching a lot of the sugars, refined flours, carbs and "empty calorie" foods that come out of a box, I feel like I have tons more energy to burn. I didn't realize that I would lose weight on the elimination diet I am doing now but wow! Its resulted in less weight so fewer injuries and aches and pains too! 

Thanks for the cheers :D!! I'm still doing the pushups and working on getting stronger (and cultivating less chicken-y looking wrists and forearms)....you keep on spreading the yoga cheer! I think its good for the world and we sure need more positivity!  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Acupunk said:

Man Guzzi, I was so skeptical at first. Really, I was the type of girl who would seriously have been broken down by the sight of snickers bars on a bad day before. I realize now that sugar is indeed like crack ....the more of it thats in your system, the more hooked on it you get!! And that also means, refined carbs that made up like 75% of my daily diet like bread and pasta (and Chicago mix popcorn and potato chips <--- my worst nemesis! :mask: ). It feels nice to walk around like a super chill meditative person now and have people eating cake in front of me while I'm hungry and for me to actually go "Hey, now that I check in with myself, I really am just dying for a good coffee and not the cupcake :cupcake: that goes with it!". There's a liberation that goes with it!! 

18 hours ago, mmead0105 said:

look at you go!!!

Totally agree with you both, sugar is the Devil’s food, lol!  I used to love sweet treats and could eat chocolate until it was coming out my ears!  Then, when I changed my diet and cut that crap out, I found that I just don’t crave it anymore, and even if I do eat some, I find it sickly sweet.  My bf LOVES sweet stuff so there is often some in the house, but I just don’t enjoy it anymore.  I’d much rather have a Nakd bar (ohmygod have you tried the new salted caramel flavour yet?) than a chocolate bar. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Totally agree with you both, sugar is the Devil’s food, lol!  I used to love sweet treats and could eat chocolate until it was coming out my ears!  Then, when I changed my diet and cut that crap out, I found that I just don’t crave it anymore, and even if I do eat some, I find it sickly sweet.  My bf LOVES sweet stuff so there is often some in the house, but I just don’t enjoy it anymore.  I’d much rather have a Nakd bar (ohmygod have you tried the new salted caramel flavour yet?) than a chocolate bar. 

OMG Guzzi that hit the nail on the head for me! I used to tell my roommate that she was the devil every time she pulled out some manner of unholiness like chocolate filled chocolate cupcakes or a jumbo sized pack of Doritos! Hahaha the devil's food - totally! :devilish:. And yeah, that's how I'm starting to feel now too. Someone gave me a coffee last week and forgot to ask if I wanted it black....it had no milk but they asked for "one sugar". I found that sickly saccharine and you're talking to sweetooth queen - I would have ordered a triple sugar 8 weeks ago. Now one sugar is all it takes to knock my block off man! Nakd.....salted caramel??? Tell me more! I love caramel (but admit I have tossed out all my xmas chocolates and caramels - mainly because they have dairy in them). Ha ha - way to go Guzzi! Now you gotta convince the BF to drop the bars because it just feels so damned good! I salute you man! Well done!!  

• Like 1

OMG Yes!! Growing up, sugar was something I leaned on to relieve stress and then on into my adulthood I didn't have any REAL good strategies for stress relief and I would go to sugar to temporarily lift it. The hardest part is when you live in the same city as your parents and frequently have family dinners and your mom like making deserts! How is your challenge going @Acupunk?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adash5000 said:

OMG Yes!! Growing up, sugar was something I leaned on to relieve stress and then on into my adulthood I didn't have any REAL good strategies for stress relief and I would go to sugar to temporarily lift it. The hardest part is when you live in the same city as your parents and frequently have family dinners and your mom like making deserts! How is your challenge going @Acupunk?

same!! I had a pretty crummy day yesterday and resolved all of my issues by eating (you know, because that's guaranteed to help make me feel better and actually solve anything :rolleyes:)

• Like 1

@Adash5000 OMG I'm sorry I didn't see this until just now....challenge is still going! I'm working on crushing the 35 sec plank now. I add on a 40 second plank at the end of the 3 planks (when my body tells me its cool to do so) as a "bonus round" and reward myself with a barista coffee afterwards! That always entices me to push through. Though I crashed hard when trying to do a full pushup this week....like literally, I fell on my face and crashed. Not cool. I do those ones at home and not outdoors where the fear of being "ha ha'd" looms greatly! I know...to get over the fear you should bite the bullet and face it...but I feel this rawhide needs to practice a bit first before facing the "ha-ha'ers". Eating wise I'm still going strong though. Less sugar in the system means less cravings (sheesh it sounds like I gave up drugs doesn't it!). I nailed my first 10 minute mile in ages two days ago and I am still wooping it today!!!! I've been downloading everything I can on running and reading on exercises to reduce injury so that has become my new focus lately (other than work as I still got bills to pay man). Pushups.....working on them. 

@mmead0105 as you can see, I am still doing the pushups....but I kinda crash and burned on trying a full body one. I still love your Childs pose pushups though. They are also a sort of reward for doing bonus planks or trying more reps for a half on knees pushup because they just feel so damned good!!! And get me to breathe better. I have been told that I just sprint forward when I go about my day in everything and that I forget to breathe. I think those pushups encourage me to get into a more relaxed and open state of mind. If you don't mind, I intend on keeping them as part of my routine - probably to open and close a run with. Thank you for suggesting!! I'm so sorry to hear you had a bad day the other day...and hey, eating rules when there are things going on out of your control. I had home made soup that a buddy made for me from work when I had a poopoo afternoon with the commute to work. That soothed man. 

Thank you guys both for the check ins....they keep me on track when I want to give up :flustered:...like after the failed full body pushup. I wanted to cry! 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 7:25 AM, Acupunk said:

@mmead0105 as you can see, I am still doing the pushups....but I kinda crash and burned on trying a full body one. I still love your Childs pose pushups though. They are also a sort of reward for doing bonus planks or trying more reps for a half on knees pushup because they just feel so damned good!!! And get me to breathe better. I have been told that I just sprint forward when I go about my day in everything and that I forget to breathe. I think those pushups encourage me to get into a more relaxed and open state of mind. If you don't mind, I intend on keeping them as part of my routine - probably to open and close a run with. Thank you for suggesting!! I'm so sorry to hear you had a bad day the other day...and hey, eating rules when there are things going on out of your control. I had home made soup that a buddy made for me from work when I had a poopoo afternoon with the commute to work. That soothed man. 

Thank you guys both for the check ins....they keep me on track when I want to give up :flustered:...like after the failed full body pushup. I wanted to cry! 

I don't mind at all! theyre a great add in even for someone who can do a bunch of pushups! once you feel comfortable, you can always drop to 2 knee push ups, then maybe 1 knee. its a journey <3 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mmead0105 said:

I don't mind at all! theyre a great add in even for someone who can do a bunch of pushups! once you feel comfortable, you can always drop to 2 knee push ups, then maybe 1 knee. its a journey <3 

@mmead0105, omg! I did a full set of on-knee pushups! So far so good - I proved to myself that my arms wouldn't fall off after doing 10 (12 may have been pushing my internal core for a full nuclear meltdown)! Maybe it was the music I was listening to or the wind speed and direction that day; who know's? Thanks - then Child's pose push ups it is for an extra plank reward! I hope your week is going well...I'm surviving through tax document gathering hell (grinning and bearing it!) :friendly_wink: