Tales of a wayward ranger...

Day one.

Trash. That's what I feel like. I've been plagued by the question of how many failures it would take before I either died of lethargy, or finally awoke to reality and effected change in myself.

I finally have the answer to that question, and it graciously came to me without suffering the former of the two.

How many failures does it take? As many as I've had so far, and no more.

Thus begins the record of a ranger.

• Like 1

Day five.

The big picture. Say what you will about broad strokes, but without them the details are meaningless. They give form to a collection of obscure data points, and shouldn't be ignored.

So what do I want? I want what it is to be a ranger; that is, jack of all trades. Fitness is only a part. Perhaps chameleon ranger is a better description. Fits in anywhere, capable of nearly anything, learns fast and lives on purpose.

Let's try that last one on for size.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, JusticioProfundo said:

Day five.

The big picture. Say what you will about broad strokes, but without them the details are meaningless. They give form to a collection of obscure data points, and shouldn't be ignored.

So what do I want? I want what it is to be a ranger; that is, jack of all trades. Fitness is only a part. Perhaps chameleon ranger is a better description. Fits in anywhere, capable of nearly anything, learns fast and lives on purpose.

Let's try that last one on for size.

I like the Chameleon Ranger idea and the learning on purpose. I'm not so sure about the learning fast though. Thinking I should learn fast usually sets me up for disappointment and failure when I don't. I've decided I'm more " willing to try new things  even if I suck at them":friendly_wink:

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I like the Chameleon Ranger idea and the learning on purpose. I'm not so sure about the learning fast though. Thinking I should learn fast usually sets me up for disappointment and failure when I don't. I've decided I'm more " willing to try new things  even if I suck at them":friendly_wink:

That one is a bit more nebulous for sure. The details that go along with that particular broad stroke are knowing how I work, knowing what helps me focus, and being selective in terms of what I choose to learn. 

I have a very long list of goals when it comes to learning, so speed and intention do matter for both keeping me motivated and for being a better human :)

I have a master list on my computer, but off the top of my head...

HAM radio

Various topics under the umbrella of music theory

Sound design

Coding

Krav Maga

Horti/agri/aquaculture

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JusticioProfundo said:

That one is a bit more nebulous for sure. The details that go along with that particular broad stroke are knowing how I work, knowing what helps me focus, and being selective in terms of what I choose to learn. 

I have a very long list of goals when it comes to learning, so speed and intention do matter for both keeping me motivated and for being a better human :)

I have a master list on my computer, but off the top of my head...

HAM radio

Various topics under the umbrella of music theory

Sound design

Coding

Krav Maga

Horti/agri/aquaculture

Sounds like an interesting list of things to learn

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Day six.

Rhythm. Form cut into time. The undulations of the day ought to be predictable, or at least as much as possible. 

The most important part of a rhythm? The first few bars. The beginning of anything sets the tone for everything that follows. A strong introduction makes for a competent middle and a climactic finish.

Best start the day strong.