Couch to 5K - 30th March 2019 to 1 June 2019

c5653cd719b0d93851ec35aa7003bf0a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ok now this picture you accidentally posted in that other place makes so much more sense with the context... [emoji23]
  • Haha 1

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

35 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Not much running to report, but I did just sign up for a 5k on May 11th so there's that.

Cool, do you park run over there or you have to pay for one?

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

9 hours ago, Endor said:

Cool, do you park run over there or you have to pay for one?

No such thing is even known round these parts, it's either people running individually or various races, charity or not. The one I signed up for is organized by my (second) masters' University, it's walking distance from my home and meant to raise awareness for the nearby park, which has been taken over by drugs. Ticket costs 3 Euros and they all go a major rehab center organization, so that's a plus.

• Like 2

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (7)Fitness (2)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (3), Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬🎬🎬🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1)📖 Video Gaming (3)🎮🎮, Wellness (2)

14 hours ago, deftona said:

Ok now this picture you accidentally posted in that other place makes so much more sense with the context... emoji23.png

For people wondering: I was on my phone trying to share that picture and accidentally shared it to the NF chatroom (on Tapatalk? I'm not sure how all of that works). Then had to apologize. I was a little afraid I was going to get some kind of warning for sharing something like that without a warning. But I'm glad that you were able to clear up the context.

I finally got my first run in last night. I'm a little behind, but it actually felt pretty good.

• Like 2
On 4/3/2019 at 5:18 PM, DarK_RaideR said:

Ticket costs 3 Euros and they all go a major rehab center organization, so that's a plus

That's a good idea, hopefully it makes an impact. 

On 4/3/2019 at 10:53 PM, Sylvaa said:

I finally got my first run in last night. I'm a little behind, but it actually felt pretty good.

Starting is the hardest part as they say! Good to get the first one out of the way. 

On 4/4/2019 at 4:44 AM, EricMN said:

self-flagellation

Running certainly falls in this category for me at the moment! I must admit I mildly enjoyed about 20 seconds of my run the other day though, which surprised me!

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

I got my second run done on Wednesday, really didn't want to go but managed to muster the courage. It was easier than the first one and I covered a little more distance, good to see a small incremental improvement at least. I'm due for the third one today but it's raining cats and dogs and I have a hangover so it might have to wait until tomorrow! 

I'm enjoying the app, it works fine and interrupts my music to tell me to jog or walk or whatever.

• Like 1

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Speaking of apps, how do people feel about the whole Zombies!Run thing? Also noticed there's both a free and a paid app, any experience with those?

• Like 2

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (7)Fitness (2)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (3), Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬🎬🎬🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1)📖 Video Gaming (3)🎮🎮, Wellness (2)

7 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Speaking of apps, how do people feel about the whole Zombies!Run thing? Also noticed there's both a free and a paid app, any experience with those?

I haven't used it but I've heard good reports.

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

5 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I used the free one and did not like it, however I believe I am in the minority. Note: I just checked, I used the legacy Zombies! Run, so I can't comment on what's changed and this is outdated. I'm just mentioning these because if any of the below are important to you, then you might want to do some more digging.

It's been a while, but fundamentally, it didn't work well with the music app I was using (for when the story line wasn't running), there were times when the app wouldn't tell me exactly what I was supposed to be doing (i.e. the description would say free run at the end, but the app wouldn't alert me that it was free run time), and I didn't like the progression set up. I'm not a huge zombie fan, so the story line wasn't enough to keep me coming back (although, the story was good!).

My second run is going to be today. I'm doing Tu / Fri / Su with my schedule. 

• Like 1

Run number 3 done, very sweaty as it's an unseasonably hot day. Went straight away when I got up as I've been flaking it off later in day with excuses. Now I have the whole day to feel pleased with myself :) 

• Like 1

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

4 runs down! Legs were sore today after yesterday's run and got a couple of muscle tweaks, needed to get another one in today but I'm feeling cautious, don't want to get injured. 

• Like 1

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

On 4/5/2019 at 8:18 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Late response, but I got the 5k one (the paid one?) a while back and I really like it for the voice and little story tidbits, but it really works if you've dipped your toe into the other one.

The free one, you can only listen to one ep a week, unless you go for the subscription, but because I'm still on the 5k I get a few weeks ahead for unlocking, and it means I get a fourth longer run each week.

The music problem has been fixed, as has the instructions, but it's main advantage is getting people to run due to an emotional investment in the story, and is one of the few proper gamification techniques in app form out there.

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

Got another run in last night instead of drinking, feel way better this morning. 

I'm supposed to be doing the 5K with 2 guys from work, one has flaked off and not even started his couch to 5k yet, even though he bought the app. I've been trying to get him to start but he keeps making excuses, in a weird way it's encouraging me to complete my runs. The other guy is committed though so at least we will each have a running partner on the day. It's his birthday on the Friday before our planned Sat 8am 5k so I think we're going to switch from a Parkrun to an organised event on Sunday 2nd June. 

I found one that goes through the botanical gardens and round Sydney Harbour past the Opera House, great scenery for a run. It's a fund raiser for childhood cancer as well so even though we'll have to pay it's for a good cause. 

• Like 1

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

17 hours ago, Endor said:

I found one that goes through the botanical gardens and round Sydney Harbour past the Opera House, great scenery for a run. It's a fund raiser for childhood cancer as well so even though we'll have to pay it's for a good cause. 

That sounds beautiful! And probs more fun than a ParkRun :P 

• Like 1

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

I'm still running! 4 weeks of C25K done now, it's starting to get harder, longer running intervals. My body is not liking me that much but is responding to it's punishment :lol: 

My colleague and I have both now signed up for the 5k on 2nd June so I have a solid target to aim for.

I'm running in some pretty old trail shoes, mostly on roads, knees are a little sore. I'm not really sure how much of a difference proper shoes would make at low distances?

• Like 2

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

16 hours ago, Endor said:

I'm running in some pretty old trail shoes, mostly on roads, knees are a little sore. I'm not really sure how much of a difference proper shoes would make at low distances?

If you are getting new soreness at short distances, it's a good idea to change your shoes. I'd think of it this way - if your shoes are bothering you at a short distance, think how much worse it would be at a long distance and you'll only be increasing mileage through the C25K workouts. 

I'm on Week 3. I got a bit behind. But technically I ran a 5k on Saturday (I mean, with some breaks - because obstacles), so I'm probably on track. I got outside last night to run, which was really nice. There was a carnival at the waterfront, but I couldn't convince any of my coworkers that we should eat fried food like that for dinner. :( 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

There was a carnival at the waterfront, but I couldn't convince any of my coworkers that we should eat fried food like that for dinner. :( 

Mr rubber arm here would have joined you :lol: 

21 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

If you are getting new soreness at short distances, it's a good idea to change your shoes. I'd think of it this way - if your shoes are bothering you at a short distance, think how much worse it would be at a long distance and you'll only be increasing mileage through the C25K workouts. 

Good point. There's a discount shoe store nearby I might swing by and see what they've got. I have really wide feet so it's challenge sometimes. 

• Like 1

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Well, I did a grand total of 0 running all this time, but the 5k race is up on Sunday so hopefully that makes up for it :)

• Haha 1

Lvl 60 Multitasker

I am getting in runs! Just, not all of them. So I keep getting a bit behind. But I did do a 5K two weekends ago, so that counts for something, right?

3 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Well, I did a grand total of 0 running all this time, but the 5k race is up on Sunday so hopefully that makes up for it :)

I mean, it's a solid strategy.

• Like 1

Thanks for bumping this thread @Sylvaa, apparently I forgot to bring up my 5k race here. It was a pretty hot, sunny day but I still finished at 35' which is great, given that my personal best is 32'

• Like 2

Lvl 60 Multitasker