• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

karinajean

karinajean is the answer to life, the universe, and everything

hi there friends!

I'm late to the challenge but better to show up late, right?

Situation: I'm running late. I'm super tired, and I have a birthday the DAY AFTER THE CHALLENGE ENDS - wherein I will be turning 42. yo, being the answer to life, the universe, and everything is a VERY large responsibility, so I'm focused this challenge on preparing to have an amazing*** birthday!

SUPER TIRED - I did better at sleeping during last challenge but I was still only over 6 hours of sleep weekly average 2/4 weeks. I need to keep making this a priority. Go to bed at 910  if you're waking up at 430 the next day.

THE FOOD GOAL.  I'm not super happy with my size right now. my muscles HAVE been getting bigger, but the insulation is not getting any smaller. SO, I'm going to do some diet restrictions. general guidelines:

* plan the meals out for the week, including lunches [<-- this is critical! emphasis on salads!]

* eat a tiny bit less than I think I ought to, measured by calories

* have lower calories weeks 2 and 4, regular eating week 3. 

MAKE LIFE MORE BEAUTIFUL. ok, I think we all agree that I should have a beautiful life and that it is in my capacity to make it beautiful. I think we can also agree that I'm not motivated by point systems in these challenges. so, this is a prompt to plan to have a beautiful life. Spring is going to happen (seriously, you can''t stop it from coming). It'll be warmer and I can ride the motorcycle. Our lawn is going to start growing again and the days are going to get longer. I've got 3 things that are almost finished on my knitting needles. there's LOTS of room for things to be more beautiful  I need to make that work, instead of just GRINDING.

I think that's enough! I'm an old lady (LOLZ), I don't want to overdo it., and I'm going to keep on doing the other things I'm doing all the time. I think these goals will get me to a point where I can hit my birthday feeling better about my body, more rested, and ready for the most beautiful spring SO FAR.

*** not raptron amazing, don't expect any scavenger hunts or anything!

backstory. I'm karinajean, 41 FOR NOW, live in NY state, commute to NJ about an hour each way where I manage projects and clean up hazardous waste. I joined the NFA in October 2013 and transitioned over to the big scary boards (ahem, these forums) in April 2014. Since I discovered NR, I've lost about 25 lbs, tore my ACL / had it replaced with a cadaver ligament and rehabbed it, ran a bunch of running things, took over instruction for a class at the dojo, started with some weight lifting, and have reincreased by weight by about 20 lbs (note NOT all clean muscle lolz). CURRENTLY I practice tae kwon do several times a week, take weapons and boxing classes in addition, and have a long-time overarching fitness goal of doing good form push- and pull-ups. I accidentally started doing crossfit in February 2018 and have been attending classes regularly since then. I have a crazy mean (yet super sweet) cat and live with my husband full time and my younger stepdude 1/2 time. the 2nd stepdude is In college out of state. I motorcycle, knit and spin, and am endlessly ignoring how messy the house and yard is.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, karinajean said:

I don't want to overdo it.,

Hah funny!

I do love the make life beautiful sentiment, it's quite lovely. :) 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, karinajean said:

ok, I think we all agree that I should have a beautiful life and that it is in my capacity to make it beautiful.

giphy.gif

29 minutes ago, karinajean said:

I think we can also agree that I'm not motivated by point systems in these challenges. so, this is a prompt to plan to have a beautiful life.

OK! 

• Like 2

hi there, it's tuesday!

kinda my week 1 but actually week 2.

this weekend we meal planned, and I decided to follow in RogueLibrarian's illustrious footsteps and have a fancy salad lunch week. HOWEVER, yesterday we drove out to see my dad in Boston (he's doing much better! he had very bad pneumonia a couple of weeks ago) and I didn't have any time for prepping so after exercise party today I rushed home at by 610 AM I was cooking up some chx in the instant pot to go on my salad, hard boiling eggs, and also making oatmeal for breakfast. it was a lot and I was a solid 30 minutes late to work. but! my lunch and breakfast were delicious.

* monday at exercise party - strict presses. didn't get much stronger than when we did them a month ago. 

* monday night I went home, threw some jook in the  instant pot, and then went to a planning board meeting for the committee I volunteer for. got home late, continue to be stupid tired. 

* yesterday all day I was feeling really tired and pretty meep about things. but, that's fine. It'll work out. mostly 

today! exercise party was HORRIBLE. couldn't breathe very well and got in my head about it and that makes me feel like I can't breathe really well AT ALL and so I didn't push as hard as maybe I could have. 

HOWEVER. 

* after exercise party I started coughing a lot and some goo is coming out of my lungs, which reinforces to me that the pneumonia-preventative mechanism that is crossfit is probs pretty reliable. (if only my dad could do crossfit right now.)

* I was a tiny bit slower than the other woman at exercise party today but then I realized when I was at home lying on the kitchen floor trying to feel better that she was snatching (LOLZ) 10 lbs less than I was, and I felt a little better about that.

* for the record it was 20 wall balls / 20 power snatches for 4 rounds. UGHGGGHHHGHGGHHHH. I had to take a lot of breaks because I didn't want to pass out from not breathing right.

Tuesday News and Notes:

* I packed my lunch today (fancy salad).

* I received an amazon gift card at work for being awesome, and I used it to buy an electric milk warmer and frother, and also a pizzelle maker. beautiful life means lots of tiny wafery cookies and also homemade tea lattes, starting thursday.

* yesterday I tracked all my calories and I was about 200 cal under the arbitrary # that loseit says I should eat to be me right now. (note, it has no idea what it's talking about, if I calculate my BMR and then my daily calorie for maintenance it's like 400-800 calories higher than the arbitrary # that loseit is giving me.)

* Eating what I packed was no big deal yesterday but today I've been grazing on my lunch all morning long, and there might be an emergency bagel snack in my future.

* I have to sub for my tkd co-teacher today (she's ill) and Fifteen has started playing lacrosse and is going to be very clearly 100% unreliable from now on because of games and scrimmages and stuff and we currently have 4 white belts and 3 yellow belts and 2 green belts and I really need a higher belt to help me keep up with the newest students - Fifteen is a brown belt and there's a couple of adults who are purple / brown belts but they're not always there and it gets a little stressful. #oneroomschoolhouseproblems.

* BUT I am not teaching TKD on sat., because I'm going to a dear old friend's wedding shower (she is like: my mom is making me do it what is this pageantry) which has turned into a sleepover at another friend's house on friday and also saturday night in brooklyn and POSSIBLY sunday brunch (unless I go to boston to see dad) I'm so looking forward to it.

• Like 2

Girl girl girl!

#TWINNING! 

Yes we are.   So glad to see ya here!   Yup, week one is THIS week for us.  Because that's how we roll.   I love your plan.   I wish I could believe spring was coming, but we're still stuck in temps that require hats and gloves in the morning!  BOOO!

Here to follow along as always.    Peas. Pods.  Ya know.

24 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Girl girl girl!

#TWINNING! 

Yes we are.   So glad to see ya here!   Yup, week one is THIS week for us.  Because that's how we roll.   I love your plan.   I wish I could believe spring was coming, but we're still stuck in temps that require hats and gloves in the morning!  BOOO!

Here to follow along as always.    Peas. Pods.  Ya know.

Oh I mean, we are too. below freezing in the morning and then a nice 30 deg swing during the day... but you can't really stop the earth's orbit around the sun! it'll come! it just has to!

On 3/26/2019 at 12:04 PM, karinajean said:

* after exercise party I started coughing a lot and some goo is coming out of my lungs, which reinforces to me that the pneumonia-preventative mechanism that is crossfit is probs pretty reliable. (if only my dad could do crossfit right now.)

Sorry that you are also filled with goo.

I used it to buy an electric milk warmer and frother, and also a pizzelle maker. beautiful life means lots of tiny wafery cookies and also homemade tea lattes, starting thursday.

HELLO, BEAUTIFUL LIFE.

* BUT I am not teaching TKD on sat., because I'm going to a dear old friend's wedding shower (she is like: my mom is making me do it what is this pageantry) which has turned into a sleepover at another friend's house on friday and also saturday night in brooklyn and POSSIBLY sunday brunch

also beautiful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karinajean said:

then a nice 30 deg swing during the day...

... we only getting up to 40-ish.  We get a 15 degree swing at best.   

Starpucks do best at 65+ degrees.   So this is being total horse poopoo for me.  Hehehe.

IT JUST HAS TO COME THOUGH!  YES!
And if it doesn't ... well, I'll be in Key West by the first week of May so I will find me my warmth and sun!

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 3:42 PM, raptron said:

Sorry that you are also filled with goo.

SO MUCH GOO. the goo continues for me. 

On 3/27/2019 at 4:18 PM, Starpuck said:

IT JUST HAS TO COME THOUGH!  YES!
And if it doesn't ... well, I'll be in Key West by the first week of May so I will find me my warmth and sun!

just... watch out for poisonous toads, ok? apparently that's a problem right now down there!

FRIDAY UPDATE

well, here we are on friday.

wednesday - 

* did I mention that I ripped my hands reallllly good during kipping practice at exercise party and bled all over everything? and I had to switch out the knees to elbows 1/2 way through because I was just a bloody mess? ugh.

* I had a chiropractic appt in the evening so I got home at a reasonable time, which was BEAUTIFUL. My husband was home with Fifteen by the time I got there at 545ish and I had a chance to check Fifteen's math homework (and redo it with him, trig is not everyone's immediate best friend apparently) and we ate dinner at a super reasonable time. I actually went up and climbed into bed at around 830, which was v. helpful for the goo situation. 

thursday-

* front squats with pauses at the bottom at ~70% of max except I haven't got a reliable max now so who knows really.

* work consisted of 8 hours of OSHA training refresh in the office, with lots of little breaks to get some urgent things done for work.

* I taught TKD and Fifteen bagged out because he wanted to stay and watch the varsity lacrosse game at school and "help out" and I was secretly like "BUT I NEED YOUR HELP TOOOOOO" because I'm full of goo and teaching tkd is not that fun when you have a cold. (not secretly, I was like: we need tot alk aboutluckily it was all white and yellow belts in class so we could go at a slower speed, have more focus on the basics, and not have too many kids sitting out when we worked on higher belt stuff. (when I don't have any purples / browns to help me it's hard to focus on the green belts, who are really starting to know what they're doing, without the brand new white belts getting soooo bored. and 1/2 of the new white belts are like, 6? so they're really not capable of doing things on their own yet. again, #oneroomschoolhouseproblems.) Tuesday was all white and yellow belts too, and I feel pretty good that we were able to have some very clear practice together this week. 

* after TKD I came home, ate leftover lasagna, and got right into bed with the cat. I felt dreadful, this head cold is really super annoying.

* but! I woke up in the middle of the night and I felt GREAT, and I felt really good waking up today! so that's a good sign. just.... so much goo.

friday! 

yay friday.

* exercise party was what he calls "body builder friday," which he sometimes abbreviates as BBF on the whiteboard and which I then insist on calling "best buds friday" which he thinks is weird, and will not adopt. basically it's a metric shit-ton of dumbbell exercises. today it was 4 rounds of 30 hammer curls, 30 chest flyes, 20 alternating incline bench presses, and 20 chest presses. it was a lot, I was fatigued afterwards.

* packed up stuff and was a full hour late to work (it's cool, we are flexible here) because I couldn't figure out what to wear to the wedding shower tomorrow and also what to wear to work today. Finally made it. 

* head cold is still coldy. lots of goo. Trying to manage w decongestants. Actually using real kleenex instead of just a rando roll of toilet paper or a stack of scratchy napkins. 

* planning to see dad on sunday, no one else can go. 

• Like 1

Dude, real kleenex feels so LUSH after make-shift tissue situations. Moisturize your ripped hands a lot! Have a great weekend trip. :)

Omg girl!  Bloody hands are hard core. 

Sounds like you nailed the weekend.

Listen to the Raptron.  She is the wise!

On 3/29/2019 at 1:47 PM, raptron said:

Dude, real kleenex feels so LUSH after make-shift tissue situations. Moisturize your ripped hands a lot! Have a great weekend trip. :)

yaaaah I am so cheap / ecominded that it takes a lot for me to use the real facial tissues and BOY have I been appreciating them this week.

2 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Omg girl!  Bloody hands are hard core. 

Sounds like you nailed the weekend.

Listen to the Raptron.  She is the wise!

mostly I feel like a disaster! they just kind of burst with no warning and suddenly I was wiping my hands on my shirt (so glad it was a black shirt) and asking for bandaids. k, I did try to keep going, but it was a REALLY messy rip.

WOW so this last week was hecka busy.

I had a really great time over the weekend with my girlfriends! but simultaneously on friday, my dad was moved back to the hospital for some post-pneumonia lung tests and then he lost the bed they had promised him and he sat in the ER for 30 hours and believe me, this was NOT ok, the guy is immune-suppressed and JUST HAD PNEUMONIA BY THE WAY.  so that made my sunday trip feel even more fraught and necessary. I had a great visit with him but they didn't do the test they'd promised him on sunday either, and then on monday when they said they weren't going to do it that day either everyone flipped tables and I called patient care advocacy and they were able to get the test done. long story short his lungs are fine, and he is back in rehab now, but he lost a whole 6 days of PT and OT at rehab because they moved him for a test that was then delayed for several days, while simultaneously putting him at risk in the ER and also neglecting to provide him with a situation to protect his potential pressure/bed sore situations that they've been trying to manage. All of this meant that I also went to Boston for a day trip on Wednesday as well, and also that I got a cold sore (STUPID HERPES) on monday AM, and am very very tired.

I ddi the exercise party on M, T, W, and F. I took Thursday as a rest day after getting home from a slightly precarious trip home late wednesday night and told my husband it was the nicest thing I'd done for myself all month, which he saw as a fairly pitiful statement. BUT IT'S ONLY THE 5TH OF THE MONTH, so it's not that pitiful.

I'm feeling veeeery behind on work. Sat. I am teaching tkd and then I'd like to go look at a motorcycle in CT. sunday I may need to go to Boston again. I need to do the taxes this weekend. and I do not want to have this cold sore on my face! but big picture, I had a lovely time with my girlfriends, and my dad is doing really really good.

• Like 1