• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Adash5000

March 2019 3 Week Challenge

image.thumb.png.2fa7a487e8e0d12a05e489740bde21b3.png

OKAY a little late but I will make due. I have been at it time and time again over the last couple years but the one thing I have not had in my formula was other people. Never had a strong network of people keeping me accountable to my fitness dreams. Now is different, now I have you. Forgive me for being late to this challenge, I will keep it short and sweet because I have only just learnt this is a thing here and I only had a couple hours to plan today. These are the things I will set out to do in the next 3 weeks:

1) Bring a healthy lunch to work at least 3 days of the week

2) When I a get stressed or tired at work, instead of reaching for hot chocolate or coffee reach for herbal or low caffeine teas

3) Do one of the follow core exercises followed by the following stretch routine

- situps (3 set of 10 reps)

- planks (3 sets of 1 minute)

- side planks (4 sets of 1 minute)

stretch:

- foam roll quads, AT bands, groin

- field hockey ball roll on glutes

- hip flexors lunges

4) Maintain an in bed by 10pm policy with at least 30 minutes free from screens before

Please let us forge an alliance or fight to the death!!

• Like 3

Hurrah!!!! I too an a NEWBIE! It's nice to see another one here - high five if I can even see where to give one here on this screen! I'm doing planks too (3 sets, 30 seconds each and I'm pushing myself to do semi-ridiculous pushups: 5 a week - that's what I think I can muster without passing out from extreme ridiculousness).

Awesome goals man! You'll find a ton of helpful people here (I've been here only a week-ish?) and so far, everyone has been super helpful and welcoming. I'll forge and alliance - fight to the death...maybe when I get stronger! Raising a cup of coconut cream coffee to you! Have an amazing Monday!  

going to bed without electronics has made SUCH an improvement in my sleep. im just not consistent with it :crushed:

good luck!!

• Like 1

3 weeks is better than 0 weeks. And don't feel alone regarding the "prep work" I decided at 11:30pm the day before the challenge started to participate.
Glad to have you along for the adventure

• Like 2

Okay only 3 days in and its not been super hard so I increased the reps per set of situps. Also not sure if its because I drastically cut back on sugar or I was just sore from a bad sleep but yesterday was reeling at work from headaches and body pains. Was not fun, 10/10 do not recommend! I feel like I should be sweating more for these challenges? No?

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Adash5000 said:

Okay only 3 days in and its not been super hard so I increased the reps per set of situps. Also not sure if its because I drastically cut back on sugar or I was just sore from a bad sleep but yesterday was reeling at work from headaches and body pains. Was not fun, 10/10 do not recommend! I feel like I should be sweating more for these challenges? No?

Hey Adash5000, way to go man! How much did you increase the number of reps to? Maybe just so more sets to start off with and increase the reps more slowly (?). Having said this, when you cut down on any food ("ironic" haha! I should know!) your body does go into withdrawal - trust me...there's nothing worse than turning into the hulk like I did on my first week of elimination and wanting to do nothing more than smash through storefront windows and eat all the chocolates! Is it cold where you are? Maybe pop out for a walk (just do one during the week, for a few weeks in between the exercise sets)and make sure you load up on water! The headaches could be from being dehydrated. I had to cut down on a whole bunch of foods but did drink a ton more water (ok, some of it was coffee bean flavoured I admit - but it was iced black coffee and I didn't drink a lot of it). The walk if done vigorously enough - that can make you sweat a bit and give you some light cardio. Plus get you outside a bit. How are you doing today?

@AcupunkI increased only 5 reps in each set but today seems to have been more variable or what I could manage. I think sometimes I can do more but I let it go because if I wasn't doing the challenge I wouldn't be motivated at all :) . My eating was totally erratic before there would be weeks where I would eat super healthy and weeks where I would eat out a lot (mostly garbage) but I am finding that the consistent sleep is helping with that. And drinking water has never a problem except when I was tired and stressed where it would be replaced by soda or hot choco. Although the other day I had mentioned I may have had less water than usual too. Also walking generally isn't a problem either, my morning walk to work every morning is around 20-25 minutes sometimes I take the long route but walking doesn't make me sweat so much. Actually currently learning to unicycle which is the one activity that does make me sweat. Yesterday was actually a bit rough, I stayed late at work and ordered thai food and had trouble getting to sleep before 10pm :(

• Like 1

@Adash5000 , oh man, I totally agree with you on the letting the variables go during the week while doing the challenge. I don't know which context I have heard this from but its been said that you can lose the battle but that doesn't mean you lose the war necessarily. Its all cool. I have had days where I'm so pumped that I can do an extra set of planks and other days where doing a mere 30 second plank is like stapling my forehead. Thankfully I less of the latter than the former :highly_amused:. Cool increasing 5 reps sounds like the ceiling for me so I'd probably stop there for a week and then increase it another 2-3 the week after if you find that comfortable. You're talking to chicken wrists here and all I can sadly manage now is half pushups on knees. I tried a full pushup the other day and I near had a heart attack...I got a great tip from mmead0105 the other week about doing Childs pose pushups and I love those and I am using that as a reward because it feels good - for post half knee pushups).

I'm going to take a really wild stab in the dark on this but I'm guessing that its more likely due to what was eaten during the week that maybe just slowed you down some. That's all....and that's probably a good place to start. Maybe cut down the variation during the week. I actually was talking to a naturopath friend and colleague about how to diet better. Guess what she told me - DON'T. She said that you eat healthy (90% of the week) but leave some space and variation for 10% to be saved for the emergencies like when you run out of food in the fridge because you worked late 3 nights in a row and didn't have time to go to the groceries or, for a real treat. I never thought of things that way before - I like that philosophy! She has three kids and a full time business of her own so I'll take that advice from her because it seems to work out.  

awww hot chocolate :D....I know that feeling of needing a shot of cocoa. I am drinking Hersheys Cocoa instead of the instant hot chocolate now  because I like that as a weekly treat. I sweeten with a tablespoon of maple syrup (I don't know if that's allowed but that tastes good to me) and a lot of cinnamon. Soda and soft drinks - well maybe try using those as the 10% "reserved as a treat for the week" rewards? Try and maybe start off with replacing those with sparkling soda water and add strawberries and peach slices to it. They have a nice flavour and there is still the sparkle from the bubbles. IT may be a good start?

Tell me more about unicycling! If that makes you sweat and you love it then THAT is your activity! That's going to be the thing you can do more of during the week and that you can increase the time for doing. Walks shcmalks.....unicycle man! That's your calling! (But for the record 25 minute walks rock! Use those to meditate or listen to podcasts maybe. I do that when I run sometimes and I get better meditative time out of those than when I do sitting meditation!)

• Like 1

I guess it's 9 days in and what have I learnt (or relearnt). It's hard to maintain a sleep schedule on the weekends. Also sugar is sugar, honey is also sugar, and sugar addiction applies to honey as well. I always somehow convince myself that "this I will be better, It will only be for tea!!" but I still always spoon eat it right out of the honey jar. And I never feel that great after I do it. Oh well!! I have forgiven myself and have learnt I probably need to give up honey for at least a few months before reintroduction.

@Acupunk Sorry didn't see your post till just now :(. Thanks for the advice! when I do eat healthy I usually eat 4 out of 5 days at work and leave the 5th day as a social day to eat out with coworkers. And soda is rare, like once a month at most usually. But hot chocolate when I do have it I have like 2 or 3 in the day ._. . At work though they have tea which can kind of hit the mark for me but sometime its so easy to fall into old habits. The last week has been good though I think I had one hot chocolate the entire week. Just a bit of advice with sweeteners, it can be a slippery slope. At least for me, its easy to convince myself that maple syrup is natural and therefore okay but it is a danger to have in the house when you are having one bad day because I tell myself I am feeling bad I deserve to make pancakes with TONS of maple syrup or even just shot glasses of the stuff.

Unicycling is hard but it has a decent learning curve. I have been doing it for about a month but I wouldn't say I am that great and I am still learning a lot. Not good enough to just ride around the block or anything and the wheel is too small to get anywhere quickly (I have a road bike for that). It is really just fun and once a month there is a club in my city that organizes unicycle hockey which is basically street hockey but on unicycles (pretty much madness).

Thanks for the motivation!! I hope your quest is going well too!!!

• Like 3

@Adash5000 :D OMG unicycling sounds like so much fun!! I need new hobbies myself. Its hard when your work schedule is all over the map and you're also sometimes on call on days when you're not entirely booked up. I tried improv for a few weeks in the winter and I LOVED IT but now that my work schedules are changing to all evenings, I don't think I can keep pursuing that. That must be crazy-fun doing unicycling street hockey!! I can only imagine that madness, and all the furious pedalling! I need to look this up now! Hey I am sure you are great - don't doubt yourself man. 

Sigh....I saw your bit about honey = sugar. Its sad but I am keeping honey as a sweetener (and yes, maple syrup) as more of a back-up treat rather than a daily treat. I'm already lucky that I don't love sweetener in my tea but there are days I miss it in my coffees! Especially sweetened iced coffees. I substitute a lot of oat milk or creamy coconut now because they are naturally sweet. It sometimes convinces me that I've had my sweeteners especially when they are packed with ice! 

Hey it sounds like your health mileage is racking up. Sounds like you're doing good from what I hear. You are aware of how often you have hot chocolate. Just ask yourself why you want it. Sometimes if I just do a 5 second rule - pause for 5 seconds to ask why I'm thinking about a certain drink/snack/etc - I find out "Oh yeah, because I'm bored" or "Oh man, I'm just bummed and need a pick me up". Then I find an alternative. Most of the time for me, its fatigue. Though lately I've been pretty good with not even needing that "sugar hit". If I knew where I'd be today, I would've cut down on the triple sweet fraps ages ago!!!

BTW I hit my first 10 minute mile last week!!! Its not a whole lot for most folks but for me it was such a sweet crowning moment!!! I'm trying to do sprints in between runs and uphill runs now in my runs. Its actually addictive. I'm doing hand weights at home to work on my leg strength and my planks - I'm working on bringing the holds to 40 seconds. Still working on pushups haha. Its a toughie but I'm pushing myself because I like what I see now!  Next thing you know, Ninja Training - hahahahah! :ph34r:

• Like 1

@mmead0105 OH lord do I know this! Sugar is like that ex that keeps coming back into your life to cause havoc and one who you know is terrible for you but always leaves you hanging!!!! Time to give him the boot once and for all!!! :highly_amused:

• Haha 1

@Acupunk - I like your 3second rule I think I've been doing that unconsciously this challenge with my "one cup of coffee a day" challenge. It's really made me stop and think about why I even drink coffee and what about it that I'm finding so hard to get over.
Erratic schedules are the worst for trying to maintain any sort of routine or find time for new things. I'm going through that myself right now. Wishing you good vibes and good luck and let me know if you find any kind of solution that looks like it might work.

-*-*-*-*-
Regarding the sugar issue, I'm guilty as well. I have the hardest time going sugar free with anything. I am going to try coconut milk as creamer and see if that helps though - cool idea.

• Like 1

@Cynforgiven, hey I'm glad that 5 second rule resonated! I had to ask myself many times why I wanted something sweet or something "snacky" late at night after coming home from a late shift and long commute. Most of the time it truly was one of either two things for me 1. Fatigue and anxiety 2. Boredom. I used to watch TV to help me fall asleep (because my commutes from work are an hour and I get home at around 9pm) and that was when boredom would kick in. Now I just don't watch TV late at night. I meditate or try to do laundry mindfully and listen to music. And that urge to snack goes away. 

Erratic work schedule changes also meant fatigue and loads of anxiety so chocolate and Starbucks sweet coffee drinks were my kryptonite! They took the place of wholesome meals because they were easy sugar hits. Especially when I could drink a latte frap with some sort of whip and caramel drizzle. Yeah it was that crazy!  I realized after doing my elimination diet that those were off the list so I always leave home with a plan - I carry my own snacks (chia puddings, small cans of tuna, yes, even plant protein powders to mix when I get to or when I leave work for my commute home). And now when I check in with the 5 second rule and find I'm just tired while waiting for patients, I go out for a walk (I can though as I work opposite two parks) and buy a barista Americano coffee and ask for non-sweet oat milk.

Do try the coconut milk....omg its been such a game changer in the mornings for me! I use that and oat milk as a combo (I measure 1/2 cup oat milk for more protein and 2-3 tablespoons of coconut milk)and huge dash of cinnamon (that sweetens too!) and bam! Bob's your barista! I got faith in you....if this sugar-head can do it, you definitely would kick my behind in this task! Let me know you do too and for sure! If I find newer and better ways of handling things I'll let you know. :joyous:  

• Like 1

I usually do unsweetened almond milk, but I have to say (I forget the brand that makes it) but there's a half and half that's half almond milk and half coconut cream and it's like 3.50 for the bottle but its REALLY good. unsweetened, like 30 calories for a couple tbsp, little to no sugar. 

• Like 1

Uggh the last 3 days I have fallen of the wagon and have not done my stretches or sit ups and have even caved on sweets. The one thing I did manage to keep to is I packed lunch 4 days this week. At least I have the weekend to regain my footing as I know where I veered off course. It seems one night of going to sleep late is enough to halt progress and makes you more likely to want coffee and sugar which in turn makes it harder to sleep the next night. And then last night I stayed after work to have drinks with coworkers which was good except that I drank too much and had a bunch trouble sleeping (alcohol). Anyways I am going to try and make the most of this weekend to recover and start keeping in my head when I make snap decisions about sleep and coffee and sugar about if its worth it for now if I know how it will affect me in 1 or 2 or 3 days as the effects compound, although sometimes coffee is worth it :P

18 hours ago, mmead0105 said:

I usually do unsweetened almond milk, but I have to say (I forget the brand that makes it) but there's a half and half that's half almond milk and half coconut cream and it's like 3.50 for the bottle but its REALLY good. unsweetened, like 30 calories for a couple tbsp, little to no sugar

@mmead0105 SAY NO MORE (and be still my restless stomach!!) - Half and Half?! Oh I’m doing my funky chicken game win dance now!! I need something with substance and also no sugar and this may be my ticket to better unsweetened coffee! Right now my coconut milk (I was getting worried about too much coconut cream because I’m addicted to that stuff) has 2g of sugar in it and I do drink it uh 2 (ok maybe 3-4 if I work out a little more) times a day. Let me see!! If I see it I’ll let you know. I’m wondering if it’s Silk? I hear there’s a pea protein  milk that’s Whole Foods sells that supposedly tastes like the bomb.....Ripple I think?! Thank you!!!!!!!! Now my next new challenge is to find that plant milk!!!! 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 6:40 AM, Acupunk said:

@mmead0105 SAY NO MORE (and be still my restless stomach!!) - Half and Half?! Oh I’m doing my funky chicken game win dance now!! I need something with substance and also no sugar and this may be my ticket to better unsweetened coffee! Right now my coconut milk (I was getting worried about too much coconut cream because I’m addicted to that stuff) has 2g of sugar in it and I do drink it uh 2 (ok maybe 3-4 if I work out a little more) times a day. Let me see!! If I see it I’ll let you know. I’m wondering if it’s Silk? I hear there’s a pea protein  milk that’s Whole Foods sells that supposedly tastes like the bomb.....Ripple I think?! Thank you!!!!!!!! Now my next new challenge is to find that plant milk!!!! 

I GOT CHU!!! I personally don't like the pea protein milk, I've tried a couple different brands a couple different times, have even tried a pea protein powder and it's just not my jam, but I know a lot of people like it! 

• Like 1

@mmead0105 I FOUND IT!!!! It's Silk - coconut and almond!!! I can't show you the funky chicken but I definitely did one hahaha!! I still haven't tried the pea milk yet. Maybe its the bottle it comes in - it looks a little pre-fabricated so I decided to skip that. But wow....there is something about the coconut in there that makes my heart sing!! YOU my friend - are a GENIUS! Thank you!!

giphy.gif

16 hours ago, mmead0105 said:

yo tell me that isn't straight like magic in your coffee

@mmead0105 - OH mama!!! You have me dancing like a fool now!! I'm going to buy a carton for the work fridge too hahahah! I got me a box of flax cereal waiting for some coconut-almond pizzazz and coffee is never gonna be the same from here on!! WEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! :star:

• Like 1

Aaaaaahhhh my thread has been hijacked!!! Anyways I have kept doing the stretching and the situps which has been great because my back has overall been feeling much better. Packing lunches has been a flop this week but to make up for it I have biked to work 2 of the days so far. And sleep is back to all over the place but I know that is my weakest link and it will be another focus area on the next 4 week challenge :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Adash5000 :biggrin-new: omg I just realized that this was a case of thread-jacked commentary! I guess we nerds are such enthusiastic commentators and supporters! In all seriousness though - thank you for helping me notice this! I will be more mindful of where the threads start! 

Hey, regarding the setups and back health, good for you man! I haven't done a sit up before...I don't think (properly?). Though you can't see it, here I am applauding you for doing that! You biked to work? That's too cool! I live an hour and a half away from both places that I work at so that wouldn't be very feasible for me to get to work that way but if I loved closer I probably would bike....that's actually a fear of mine - biking. I'm terrified on getting on a two wheeler because I fell badly in one when I was 13 and haven't gotten back on again in - oh man, I'm a dinosaur - decades!! 

You've come so far Adash5000!! Week 4 is almost at a close but wow, I am so impressed by what's been accomplished. You can only go further up from here!! :star: