• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChrisWithaStick

Chris and the infinite reboot, a mini-adventure

So...hoo boy, life is interesting. This will be a relatively stripped down challenge, even for me, reasons for which will apparent.  But to catch up on the last few months:

The fuzzball is healthy and happy - for whatever reason, he's grooming my arms in the morning if he can get to them.  It's kind of annoying at 5 am, and will be doubly so when it's warmer and I can't just pull covers up. 

We survived the holidays, made it past January, sailed through Valentine's and Mardis Gras, and we're looking forward to the vast horizon that is Easter.  So, the bakery is cranking along, the burn-out has dialed back down, manager training is happening, and things are going fairly well on that front.

Practice is going well.  We have one student that has come back more full-time again, which is nice (he's a bit more athletic, and moves really well, although he's dropped into some old movement habits that need to be polished out again).  It's been an interesting few weeks - we have been working on a tachi vs naginata set where the tachi is in the student side (basically, how would a sword beat a naginata).  Like the kodachi set before, this won't ever be 'official' (we're not re-construction kata based on notes), but these will provide a secondary study in timing and ma-ai, and also (I think, at least), an interesting study in how initiative affects outcome (basically for this set we're breaking down other kata and adding 'what if?' to certain movements). 

On the 'really interesting' side of life, I've been in a relationship for several months with a significant element of 'instant family' - She has a teen aged son, and in about oh, any day now, an infant daughter (you read that right :D).  That means that in about oh, any day now, I'll a step parent/step partner (not sure what to call it since we're not married)...and well...yeah. 

She was originally planning things as a single parent, and has lots of great support from her family (they've been very welcoming and very fun to get to know).   It certainly an unusual situation, and somewhat complicated, but it's working so far.  The big complication is we don't live together, although we are looking at plans to end up doing so, or at least me moving closer to her (I'm in Seattle, and she's in Sammamish, sort of).  She lives with her mom and step dad in a big old farm house, which is decently set up in the way of 'extended or larger family' living. 

Without getting into more detail in the above, the challenge is basically Vimes-ian - do the job in front of you.

A ) Don't eat like an ass, even though it'll be sorely tempting when tired, cranky and and pressed for time.  Focus on quality of food, and portion control (there's an assist from her family when I'm staying there - they actually eat pretty healthy meals with a fair amount of veggies).

B ) Check in here a couple of days a week. 

C ) Grab sleep or rest as possible (this seems very Vimes-ian - I wonder if I can teach myself to sleep standing up in a corner to catch some cat naps at work).  When I'm at my house, prioritize getting to bed early (we won't talk about tonight).

A and C are the priorities, B is the sanity check.  Anything else, from practice to KB swings, is a bonus, although I may be able to work more of those in due to not living together. 

So... yeah. Life is interesting. 

• Like 6

Congratulations, and this is an excellent Vimes challenge. No more hiding the tomato and lettuce under the bacon, sleep against the wall, and get your copy of Where's My Cow ready.

• Like 1

My, you have had a busy winter. :congratulatory:

I am glad that things are going better at work with all the changes happening in your life. Becoming the step-parent of a teenager is challenging. So is being a co-parent to an infant.

Now might be the time to fit a storeroom at work with a pull-out cot. The commute from the Sammamish area looks brutal. Hopefully bakery hours will let you avoid the worst of rush hour.

So the "any day now" turned into "Wednesday!".  Needless to say, it's been quite the busy past few days. Baby B arrived healthy and happy.  We were home the next day from the hospital (maternity ward nurses are awesome, just to say), and after a couple of nights of lots of feedings, we're into a quiet period (i.e., we sort of get to sleep for 3-4 hours at a stretch - we know this is probably a grace period). 

I have not been eating like an ass, and a big part of that is having been staying with her and her family- they like their salads, and do a great job of customizing various mixes you can get from the store.

I've been sleeping as possible.

I need to figure out a solution for better internet access when at their house so I can check forums occasionally during down time (no cable or dsl - I will probably need to upgrade my plan so I can set up a hot-spot using my phone - they have one, but really weak signal, and I need it to be able to do some work while out of the office).

The cat has been well taken care of, although he's happy I'm back at my place tonight (first night here since last Tuesday).

On 3/27/2019 at 9:21 PM, sarakingdom said:

Congratulations, and this is an excellent Vimes challenge. No more hiding the tomato and lettuce under the bacon, sleep against the wall, and get your copy of Where's My Cow ready.

They actually wrote an illustrated one, didn't they?  Any idea if it includes the Vimes edits?  And I never hide the tomato and lettuce under the bacon.  They are proudly layered on top, on occasion with avocado (not often, but it's nice, especially with a little bit of some kind of hot dressing).  We won't discuss the amount of bacon they may be resting on...

On 3/29/2019 at 1:01 PM, Mistr said:

My, you have had a busy winter. :congratulatory:

This is part of why I was so miffed about the snow storm in February (all the other reasons were true, this just added some extra fist shaking at the weather). 

I am glad that things are going better at work with all the changes happening in your life. Becoming the step-parent of a teenager is challenging. So is being a co-parent to an infant.

I suspect I shall understand just how challenging in the near future.  Luckily, my partner and her ex have a really good parenting relationship when it comes to Teen T.

Now might be the time to fit a storeroom at work with a pull-out cot. The commute from the Sammamish area looks brutal. Hopefully bakery hours will let you avoid the worst of rush hour.

There's a lot of decision making to happen in the next few months - my own house is in West Seattle, and near work.  We're game planning me being closer to Sammamish, but there are some things I need to take care of with the house if I'm going to sell, or hang on to as a rental.  Luckily I semi-set my own hours, so I can adjust around the worst commute times, when I need to.  The hard part is going to be managing what to do with my house and balance time.  Which we all do. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

They actually wrote an illustrated one, didn't they?  Any idea if it includes the Vimes edits

They did, I believe it does (in a strange meta way), and it would be an excellent welcome gift for your little Sam. (Eventually. After her stuffed dragon.) :)

9 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

And I never hide the tomato and lettuce under the bacon.  They are proudly layered on top, on occasion with avocado (not often, but it's nice, especially with a little bit of some kind of hot dressing).  We won't discuss the amount of bacon they may be resting on... 

While I resemble Sybil in many ways, I have no objection to the bacon. It's more the bread I quibble with. But other than that, I approve of your recipe, and will show up on BLT day. Or when you make coffee and eggs with burnt crunchy bits.

Congratulations on mostly sleeping and having exciting challenges going on! And I'm glad your cat is no longer lonely. He's probably been looking forward to your 5am playtime all week.

On 4/2/2019 at 9:27 AM, sarakingdom said:

While I resemble Sybil in many ways, I have no objection to the bacon. It's more the bread I quibble with. But other than that, I approve of your recipe, and will show up on BLT day. Or when you make coffee and eggs with burnt crunchy bits.

I suppose you could build and LBLTAL using some hearty lettuce from the garden (I haven't looked at your haul list today), or wrap it in a thin omelette.  One of the places around here makes a serrano aioli, as well as a chipotle mayo.  Both work nicely if you want a little zip to help the coffee wake you up. 

As for eggs...I like the delicate balance of crunchy edges to the whites and runny yolks. 

The wee one is sleeping fairly well for 8 days old.  A few minor upsets, but she likes her food and naps.  Fam is doing well.  This weekend will probably have the conversation of what can I do for the household - At this point it will probably be pitching in money for food/utilities - I'm really good at shopping for one, not good at shopping for several, and they tend to do big Costco trips so that may be the more effective route. 

We'll probably also talk more about what needs to be done for my house as I figure out what to do with it in the coming months. 

• Like 4

Congratulations! Your work is cut out for you, but it is good work and worth doing. I'm so happy for you, man. :)

And also I like crunchy eggs. Do them with sriracha hipster ketchup and you're probably good to go. :D

7 hours ago, Kishi said:

Congratulations! Your work is cut out for you, but it is good work and worth doing. I'm so happy for you, man. :)

And also I like crunchy eggs. Do them with sriracha hipster ketchup and you're probably good to go. :D

Thank you!  

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 12:17 AM, ChrisWithaStick said:

As for eggs...I like the delicate balance of crunchy edges to the whites and runny yolks. 

I will always go to your restaurant for breakfast. I'll even eat your questionable sausages. Maybe not your rat on a stick.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I will always go to your restaurant for breakfast. I'll even eat your questionable sausages. Maybe not your rat on a stick.

Questionable sausage???  Next you'll be telling me All Jolson is serving salads without frying the lettuce.  If I have a restaurant, the sausage will be made of named meat, thank you very much.  Besides, rat ground up in a casing is much easier to sell to non-dwarves than rat on a stick.  Organic, free range rats to be sure...  This is Seattle, after all.   (in all reality,  I usually go for Hempler's brand out here - it's good with easily read ingredients- and great bacon; alternative is Adele's). 

:)

On 4/9/2019 at 1:55 PM, Kishi said:

Do them with sriracha hipster ketchup and you're probably good to go. :D

I should add, get thee to a pho restaurant and try some of the smoked chili oil (probably other places too, that's just where I've had it).  You might retire the hipster ketchup.   As it is, I like a dash of chili powder, and then letting the yolk run over crispy potatoes. 

Baby B is doing very well.  Healthy eater, decent sleeper, and apparently an over-achiever at just 2 weeks - gained a pound, instead of just recovering birth-weight.  Mom E (I'm not making that up - I would not reach that far for a pun) is doing well - she also works with family, and has been checking in with things already.  Teen T is cruising along...  He's at that stage where he stays in his room and shows up for dinner, and I"m still the new guy (relatively speaking), so I go by what his mom says.  Dotes on his baby sis though. 

I'm splitting time between my house and theirs, as expected.  It's... well, not the best situation, but tenable in the short term. 

Work is work - although we have the extra wrinkle of a state dept. of revenue audit (random audit of excise taxes).  We have a very on-point book keeper, which is helping the process a lot.  Always, always, always get a good book keeper or at least very good quarterly accountant.  I cannot stress this enough. 

Class is good...it looks like I'll need to get a bokken with a tsuba and some lacrosse gloves though - we're looking at testing certain kata (possibly to breaking the timing and ma-ai), and how a tachi works in them.  Having done a small amount of this, and getting the bone bruises that sometimes result, a little hand protection is probably going to be in order. 

• Like 2

a belated congratulations!! I'm glad everyone is happy and healthy, and everyone is cruising through.  Yay!!

20 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Questionable sausage???  Next you'll be telling me All Jolson is serving salads without frying the lettuce.  If I have a restaurant, the sausage will be made of named meat, thank you very much.  Besides, rat ground up in a casing is much easier to sell to non-dwarves than rat on a stick.  Organic, free range rats to be sure...  This is Seattle, after all.   (in all reality,  I usually go for Hempler's brand out here - it's good with easily read ingredients- and great bacon; alternative is Adele's). 

Sham Harga's place might also do a great breakfast. I hear one of his short order cooks is killer.

The word 'rat' is easy to read.

On 4/11/2019 at 4:31 PM, sarakingdom said:

Sham Harga's place might also do a great breakfast. I hear one of his short order cooks is killer.

Who was the short order cook?  I'm missing this reference (Sham's I recognize). 

Quick check-in-

Still eating decently.

Sleep is hit and miss, but not too bad.  A couple of really short nights, and I'll probably need a sleep mask (a couple of nightlights for when we have to get up for the baby - after a couple of years of cultivating dark/quiet, I'm pretty light sensitive now - I'm guessing I'll adjust back).

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Who was the short order cook?  I'm missing this reference (Sham's I recognize).  

He likes cats, sometimes dislikes his own job, and is the subject of a terrible pun in that initial description. A truly deadly pun.

I started using a sleep mask ages ago, and it's great.

3 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

He likes cats, sometimes dislikes his own job, and is the subject of a terrible pun in that initial description. A truly deadly pun.

I started using a sleep mask ages ago, and it's great.

Ah... he had a daughter and let his assistant run the business for a brief while?   I missed that was at Sham’s

11 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Ah... he had a daughter and let his assistant run the business for a brief while?   I missed that was at Sham’s

That's the guy. He apparently makes a great sandwich. I think it was at Sham's.

23 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

That's the guy. He apparently makes a great sandwich. I think it was at Sham's.

Speaking of sandwiches, I did indeed have a blt to end the challenge.  With avocado and spicy mayo, and good slices of tomato. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Speaking of sandwiches, I did indeed have a blt to end the challenge.  With avocado and spicy mayo, and good slices of tomato. 

BRB, will be right over.