Jump to content

Laghail and the NINE-NINE!


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Utilitarianism fails to pass the test of utilitarian good, the irony hurts. What's your experience with virtue ethics? Aside from you know, not being a utilitarian monster.

 

I read philosophy at university. Double major, actually, I couldn't find a single other thing I wanted to do. But that was years ago and I've forgotten most of it. I concluded that both deontology and utilitarianism were both important approaches to understanding situations, but both were absurd when pushed to their logical conclusions. Virtue ethics is merely a bit circular, in that the right thing to do is what a virtuous person would do. And there's no rule book that says what virtue is or how to be virtuous, you have to find a virtuous person to imitate. And presumably, to correctly identify a virtuous person to imitate, you have to at least start with a little wisdom. That's how I understand it, not that I am especially well-read on the topic or remember much of what I did read. There are a lot of things we only touched on briefly in our readings (except time travel, I had a whole class dedicated to that). Anyhow, circularity seems to be a lesser vice than absurdity, and attempting to develop virtues seems much more in line with how I actually live, and the older I get the more value I place on experience and feeling rather than reasoning things through from zero. So virtue ethics seems more appealing now than it did when I was 20 and inclined to consequentialism. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

963293B82D91920534650A6EAE821713AA98A2AF

 

BLINKING LIGHTS AND SHINY THINGS FTW BRO!!! YOU DON'T NEED VIRTUE ETHICS OR ARCHTYPES TO EXPERIENCE TRANSCENDENCE WITH THIS SHIT! ABANDON THE DISCURSIVE THOUGHTS OF THE EGO BRAIN, TYPE IN ALLCAPS, JUNG BE DAMNED, NOTHING IS REAL. EVERYTHING IS REAL.

 

Addit: Happy Birthday!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2019 at 10:56 AM, Harriet said:

 

I read philosophy at university. Double major, actually, I couldn't find a single other thing I wanted to do. But that was years ago and I've forgotten most of it. I concluded that both deontology and utilitarianism were both important approaches to understanding situations, but both were absurd when pushed to their logical conclusions. Virtue ethics is merely a bit circular, in that the right thing to do is what a virtuous person would do. And there's no rule book that says what virtue is or how to be virtuous, you have to find a virtuous person to imitate. And presumably, to correctly identify a virtuous person to imitate, you have to at least start with a little wisdom. That's how I understand it, not that I am especially well-read on the topic or remember much of what I did read. There are a lot of things we only touched on briefly in our readings (except time travel, I had a whole class dedicated to that). Anyhow, circularity seems to be a lesser vice than absurdity, and attempting to develop virtues seems much more in line with how I actually live, and the older I get the more value I place on experience and feeling rather than reasoning things through from zero. So virtue ethics seems more appealing now than it did when I was 20 and inclined to consequentialism. 

 

Yeah, seeing philosophy as a taoist way/process, rather than an equation to be solved, I think that would have let a lot more of us get laid in college.

 

1472254699-20160823.png

 

 

On 4/2/2019 at 4:10 PM, Curl Brogo said:

BLINKING LIGHTS AND SHINY THINGS FTW BRO!!! YOU DON'T NEED VIRTUE ETHICS OR ARCHTYPES TO EXPERIENCE TRANSCENDENCE WITH THIS SHIT! ABANDON THE DISCURSIVE THOUGHTS OF THE EGO BRAIN, TYPE IN ALLCAPS, JUNG BE DAMNED, NOTHING IS REAL. EVERYTHING IS REAL.

 

Addit: Happy Birthday!

 

Your rant here is almost exactly the title of my favorite album. 10/10, would wear that t-shirt.

 

Mewithoutyou - It's all crazy cover.png

 

  • MFP on da daily

Speaking of happy birthday, I didn't track Tuesday because womb-escape memorial day (never forget!) and the mrs laghail trapped me in a neighborhood bakery until I picked delicious carbs for celebratory reasons. Many cookies were had, but no ragrats.

  • Sleep 6.5 or more hours, Sunday night through Thursday night

9 hours to get over a cold I picked up at an all day work conference. You know that special feeling of rage when you drive 4 hours for a 3 hour meeting that could have just been a powerpoint deck emailed to all 200 participants? That.

  • Write 100 words or more, every weekday

No writing happened yesterday because of rage and conference reasons. I personally blame @Mr_Willes.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2019 at 4:12 PM, Laghail said:

Mewithoutyou - It's all crazy cover.png

 

 

Nice song. But after the choir comes in singing "Why not be utterly changed into fire?", I think I would have built up a bit more to something a little more... metal.

 

 

Then a 23 min guitar solo by the Swedish 80's neo-classical shred metal virtuoso Yngwie Malmsteen.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

 

Then a 23 min guitar solo by the Swedish 80's neo-classical shred metal virtuoso Yngwie Malmsteen.

 

I always found Yngwie's play style a little grating, to be honest. Uli Jon Roth is my go-to for neoclassical guitar. :) 

 

(Note: I am well aware that Yngwie has exceptional and rare talent. I just wish he'd used it to play things I enjoy listen to more.)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2019 at 10:28 AM, Laghail said:

discarding the work of a brilliant man because he's defective, that sets you up to constantly be smashing heroes as you discover their human flaws, ultimately leaving you in a never ending cycle of rejecting human ideas because you discover they're human.

 

Most people are disappointing. Smash them all. I'm on this guy's side.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

 

I always found Yngwie's play style a little grating, to be honest. Uli Jon Roth is my go-to for neoclassical guitar. :) 

 

(Note: I am well aware that Yngwie has exceptional and rare talent. I just wish he'd used it to play things I enjoy listen to more.)

 

You're taking my shitposting too seriously. Yngwie sucks. Yes he plays super fast and super well, but his music has zero heart. Same with almost all the "neo-classical" shredders. To which I'll add the style has little to do with classical music. Much more Baroque.

 

Randy Rhodes tho.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

 

You're taking my shitposting too seriously. Yngwie sucks. Yes he plays super fast and super well, but his music has zero heart. Same with almost all the "neo-classical" shredders. To which I'll add the style has little to do with classical music. Much more Baroque.

 

Yngwie does not suck - he's exceptionally skilled and puts his talents to good use. But he lets his own ego get in the way of the music, and it becomes all about showing off how good he is, instead of expressing something musical and connecting with the listener.

 

Never mind, I changed my mind. He sucks.

 

49 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

Randy Rhodes tho.

 

Okay, we're on the same side again. :)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Yngwie does not suck - he's exceptionally skilled and puts his talents to good use. But he lets his own ego get in the way of the music, and it becomes all about showing off how good he is, instead of expressing something musical and connecting with the listener.

 

I remember a guitar magazine I once read saying of this style "If people wanted to watch you masturbate they'd put a camera in your toilet."

The Dragonforce postulate:

Fast & technically amazing playing < good songs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, calanthrophy said:

Fast & technically amazing playing < good songs.

They were my first real intro to... fantasy/power metal? I'd been pretty vanilla to that point. I've since grown way beyond them, but I wouldn't say their music is bad, it's more like the gateway band to better stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grumble said:

They were my first real intro to... fantasy/power metal? I'd been pretty vanilla to that point. I've since grown way beyond them, but I wouldn't say their music is bad, it's more like the gateway band to better stuff.

 

Dragonforce are the cheesy action pop corn movies of metal.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 5:37 PM, Curl Brogo said:

 

Nice song. But after the choir comes in singing "Why not be utterly changed into fire?", I think I would have built up a bit more to something a little more... metal.

 

Image result for arsenius the great

 

(Involved and topical discussion of the Desert Fathers goes here; describe old men escaping the insanity of modern 2nd century life, only for the crowds to follow them and cities to sprout up around their hermitages, prompting the fathers to move farther into the desert where the process repeats; make it sound witty and current, mention hipsters)

 

Because of my brilliant exposition above, you see why the song lyrics quoting Abba Joseph are moving in context:

Abba Lot went to see Abba Joseph and said: "Abba, as much as I am able I practice a small rule, a little fasting, some prayer and meditation, and remain quiet, and as much as possible I keep my thoughts clean. What else should I do?" Then the old man stood up and stretched out his hands toward heaven, and his fingers became like ten torches of flame. And he said: "Why not be turned into fire?"

 

Related image

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...