• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guzzi

Anyone else fed up of yoga pants?

Why is that that sportswear for women seems to only consist of skin tight, figure hugging leggings (or yoga pants)?  I don’t always want my figure to be on display to every curl bro in the gym, especially if I’m going to be squatting or doing deadlifts (not that I’m doing those right now, but...).  

I’m quite tall, my inside leg is 32”, so finding workout clothes is already awkward but I’m seriously getting fed up with not being able to find a single pair of track pants.  My figure is hardly “yoga pants and crop top” material, but even if it was I’d like to have the option of wearing something that didn’t make me look like I was flaunting my figure, y’know?

#fed-up

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Guzzi said:

Why is that that sportswear for women seems to only consist of skin tight, figure hugging leggings (or yoga pants)?  I don’t always want my figure to be on display to every curl bro in the gym, especially if I’m going to be squatting or doing deadlifts (not that I’m doing those right now, but...).  

Yeah, it's weird that the workout uniform is so, well, uniform. Surely track pants can be bought everywhere? Not that I would want to wear them for sport, they would be extremely warm. Unless we have in mind two different types of pants (I'm thinking of very warm cosy pants one wears about the house)? There are loose running or basketball shorts, but they leave one's thighs naked, and one might be afraid of blinding others with one's dazzling, eye-watering paleness. One has also been taught by models and actresses that one's jiggliness in that area is obscene and ugly. What would be ideal would be loose, long pants in a thin sporty fabric that are tight at the ankle so they don't flap around. Sporty harem pants, in fact. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yeah, it's weird that the workout uniform is so, well, uniform. Surely track pants can be bought everywhere? Not that I would want to wear them for sport, they would be extremely warm. Unless we have in mind two different types of pants (I'm thinking of very warm cosy pants one wears about the house)? 

Hmmm.... maybe not the same thing.  I’m thinking of like tracksuit bottoms that aren’t elasticated at the bottom, but made of a thin, woven material.  I think you can get them here but they’re always too short for my legs.  I’ve tried men’s ones but I’m pretty heavy on the thighs so it ends up that if they fit my thighs then the waist is like clown pants on me :( 

18 hours ago, Harriet said:

There are loose running or basketball shorts, but they leave one's thighs naked, and one might be afraid of blinding others with one's dazzling, eye-watering paleness. One has also been taught by models and actresses that one's jiggliness in that area is obscene and ugly. What would be ideal would be loose, long pants in a thin sporty fabric that are tight at the ankle so they don't flap around. Sporty harem pants, in fact. 

This sounds like a solution!

I mostly train in yoga pants and haven't minded as such, but I recently started to train parkour and noticed that many chicks wear a variety of clothing that's looser and looks super comfy and now I'm like why have they not shared and why has society made me wear yoga pants all this time? :lol: What I've seen is both harem pants, shorts of various lengths, trackies, stuff like that, you might want to try a google search for what they wear for inspo. @Guzzi if you can't find full length bottoms how do you feel about 3/4? It won't solve the thigh vs waist dilemma though, which I completely feel you on! Most pants look stupid on me, so now I'm thinking about just making my own. 

I have a pair of these for example, they're not available at the moment, but I love them and think they'd be pretty easy to make.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Guzzi said:

I’m thinking of like tracksuit bottoms that aren’t elasticated at the bottom, but made of a thin, woven material.  I think you can get them here but they’re always too short for my legs.  I’ve tried men’s ones but I’m pretty heavy on the thighs so it ends up that if they fit my thighs then the waist is like clown pants on me :( 

Drawstrings are your friend. Drawstrings and the clearance rack in the men's section of the sports wear store. :) 

If Kohl's (department store in the US) is anything to judge by, these may be easier to find soon. Last time I was in, they had racks upon racks of sweat pants of different weights/materials. I don't have any experience with them yet, because Lord knows I never buy clothes that aren't on sale. But perhaps the style is moving away from skinny leggings and yoga pants towards something that fits more of us properly? *fingers crossed hopefully*

On 4/7/2019 at 1:58 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I mostly train in yoga pants and haven't minded as such, but I recently started to train parkour and noticed that many chicks wear a variety of clothing that's looser and looks super comfy and now I'm like why have they not shared and why has society made me wear yoga pants all this time? :lol: What I've seen is both harem pants, shorts of various lengths, trackies, stuff like that, you might want to try a google search for what they wear for inspo.

I dod this, and YES! that’s much more like what I’m looking for, now I just need to figure out where to buy stuff like that... 

On 4/7/2019 at 1:58 PM, Mad Hatter said:

@Guzzi if you can't find full length bottoms how do you feel about 3/4? It won't solve the thigh vs waist dilemma though, which I completely feel you on! 

I might give people snow-blindness from my horribly pasty calves :hopelessness: plus they’re just not practical to wear to/from the gym this far north, apart from in the height of summer. 

18 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Drawstrings are your friend. Drawstrings and the clearance rack in the men's section of the sports wear store. :) 

You may well be right.  This also made me think about the army surplus fatigues I used to wear, which would probably be perfect!  I just need to find them on my next visit home and see if they still fit! 

24 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

If Kohl's (department store in the US) is anything to judge by, these may be easier to find soon. Last time I was in, they had racks upon racks of sweat pants of different weights/materials. I don't have any experience with them yet, because Lord knows I never buy clothes that aren't on sale. But perhaps the style is moving away from skinny leggings and yoga pants towards something that fits more of us properly? *fingers crossed hopefully*

This does sound like good news!

• Like 1

@Guzzi Do you not like joggers? They're super comfy for working out. I also like basketball shorts over leggings for some extra coverage in public gyms.

On a slightly off-topic note, I saw this the other day and thought of you @Harriet, when you were talking about struggling to find jeans that fit with your newly muscled bod: http://www.frugalupstate.com/crafts-diy/tutorial-add-an-adjustable-waist-to-any-pants/

On 4/8/2019 at 8:25 AM, Defining said:

@GuzziOn a slightly off-topic note, I saw this the other day and thought of you @Harriet, when you were talking about struggling to find jeans that fit with your newly muscled bod: http://www.frugalupstate.com/crafts-diy/tutorial-add-an-adjustable-waist-to-any-pants/

Thanks for thinking of me and my pants struggles :D Sewing is probably a bit more effort than taking things to the tailor. And I don't love elastic because it actually works best if there's not too much excess fabric in the first place. Otherwise you get uncomfortable, unflattering bunching :/ 

I usually go to the gym in track pants but they somehow get in the way during some exercises. Same with shorts which I used to wear for exercising at home. They all seem to get annoying when they are a bit loose and do not stretch properly when I try to open my legs during some exercises. So I started to actually like leggings for exercising but still could not make myself wear them in the gym, only when bouldering. Thanks for the recommendation to check out parkour clothes. So much nice stuff. Don't go to the gym anymore but might just wear some of this stuff in summer. A very common thing among men seems to be to wear shorts AND leggings. Maybe that's an alternative?

On 4/8/2019 at 4:25 PM, Defining said:

@Guzzi Do you not like joggers? They're super comfy for working out. I also like basketball shorts over leggings for some extra coverage in public gyms.

I find that joggers tend to be too short on the leg, which ends up with them looking pretty dodgy on me. :(  Plus, elasticated cuffs at the ankle seem to exaggerate my humongous thighs and butt.  Not a good look :D 

Men's department! I love buying joggers, and maybe in the men's department they would be long enough? Although you have to size up since guy's clothes don't get cut to accommodate hips. As for winter, maybe men's basketball shorts under sweats and ditch the sweats when you get there? Thats what a lot of us do for deadlift day in this snowy climate. 

• Like 1

I practically live in leggings but in some pairs I do feel a little 'on display' especially when doing inverted splits on the aerial equipment. My fave pair of workout pants (not available anymore, sadly) were slightly loose, drawstring waist, soft material and they were actually listed as 'At Home Pants'! They're a little too loose now and have been downgraded to pyjamas.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 11:27 AM, Harriet said:

blinding others with one's dazzling, eye-watering paleness.

The struggle is real. My legs are ridiculously pale, and I''m always worried that I'm going to glow in the dark or blind people at the gym when I wear shorts!

I'm also super sick of leggings and yoga pants. Yoga pants are fine around the house when I'm doing chores, and I don't mind leggings when I'm running because I hate extra fabric swishing around my legs when I run, but I'd love something that isn't skin tight when I'm lifting or even doing bodyweight exercises. 

I have this:

https://www.lidl-shop.nl/CRIVIT-Dames-yogabroek/p100249935

Which I feel comes very close to sporty harem pants, they're for yoga but they are really nice and baggy so i use them for other sports as well - just not bouldering as they might be a little too loose for that, maybe in a smaller size it would work. In the pictures it doesnt look extremely baggy, and I've seen a lot of tall women replying here, but i'm quite short and it fits me quite baggy!

Its a brand from LIDL, so for european people: you can probably order it on the website, I'm in Holland and i can order it.

I have some Nike sweatpants that I love. They are too hot if the gym is warm, but in a ventilated area they are awesome for lifting. They're women's pants, so they taper a bit and get out of my way, but they're long enough for me to tuck my heels in them on the couch and I'm 5'7". Also, UnderArmour makes a ton of non-legging pants styles. My sister lives in them when she's not at work.

On 4/23/2019 at 6:07 PM, DaemonCorax said:

Also, UnderArmour makes a ton of non-legging pants styles. My sister lives in them when she's not at work.

Oh really?  **rushes off to check it out** :onthego: