1mn+ free handstand on parallettes

Unlocked a big milestone this morning :D I have been training HS on parallettes for nearly a year now.

My shape still needs work but I'm so so so happy :D Thanks to everybody who helped me out here, the forum has been so useful in this progress. The journey continues!

Video below:

• Like 7

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

I LOVE IT!!! what an accomplishment!

• Like 1

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

2 hours ago, The Shadow said:

Amazing! I'm far from doing that myself, but I'll get there eventually. What excercises did you do to build the necessary strength?

Cheers! Go for it!

I have been doing GMB Parallettes 2 for nearly a year as well (it's supposed to be a 6-month programme but I haven't finished it yet, it's hard :lol: ). It has handstand work in it (working towards a flow).   And I pull as well  - aerial style stuff, it's good to balance push sessions (and I'm an Assassin :P ).

With P2 I gained a fair amount of shoulder and upper back strength. I think this is quite an important bit indeed. I'm still a bit wonky at times, but I get a lot more support and stability from my shoulders than I used to when I started. It also had me to work on flows/transitions, for instance HS to L-sit, HS lowers (a progression towards HS pushups). At first that was all a bit hectic because my HS was not very consistent at all but I think it helped to go a little bit beyond static HS holds early on.

Now on top of that I followed this protocol that I developed over time:

Weekly:

2 consistency workouts: 5 sets of 5 HS attempts (no more no less). I record each set and an attempt is considered good if I can hold at least 5s (as checked on the camera). It does not need to look good and if I fall over after 5s it's ok too. But bad kick-ups all count as misses (this is important). I also don't hold too long, otherwise it's very tiring (at most 8-10s max per hold but 5-6s is just fine). Learning to come back on purpose is also a good exercise :P One session takes about 20-30mn.
When I started, my score was frustratingly low on that one, like maybe 1-2 HS of 5+s over 5x5 attempts. Now I usually score between 16-21 over 25. Progress was not linear but on a one-year scale, it was fairly consistent progress and imo those sessions were very effective.

1 endurance session: I max out time on singles. I also use a video to check time. The session lasts between 15-30mn (max 45mn) depending how fresh vs tired I am / how much I need to rest. Sometimes if I hit a decent time quickly, I'll do whatever I like afterwards, play with legs, try variations, or do drills. Just to explore the skill / have fun.

Every 3 weeks, I have a deload week where I have shorter and lighter workouts but more frequently. For instance I might do HS 4x but lightly, and I will not score/evaluate myself at all. It's freedom week :D I will still do a bit of consistency and a bit of endurance, but I'll do other drills, sometimes things I know to review them, and sometimes I will try something completely new.

That would be for strength and the general programming. I also do a few shoulder flexibility/mobility drills + neck/wrists/elbows prep.

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

10 hours ago, Norgaard said:

ps I still like your long hair!

I may have to take some action though because my arms are getting too short to brush the full length :D  Or I could learn to use a brush with my feet, not sure yet...

10 hours ago, Norgaard said:

Btw any reason why you don't press your legs together? :)

Absolutely no reason, I don't often think consciously about it (that or pointing my fracking toes :D). A pity because they are both good cues for elevation / upwardness.

A half-unconscious reason might be personal body memory, as in: legs together + pointed toes = hollow body hold or hanging leg raises or V-sit, eg whatever piking figure involving a lot of abs and in HS that will make me pike too. I already use more tension than needed in my lower half (I tend to pike anyway). No doing it might release some tension which in turn helps with holding longer (saving energy).

It's a possible explanation but not a valid reason though! Basically, I need to learn to tidy up my form with minimal energy / tension.

1 hour ago, @mu said:

I may have to take some action though because my arms are getting too short to brush the full length :D  Or I could learn to use a brush with my feet, not sure yet...

lets be honest for a second here.. you are just afraid of what people will think due to stupid social norms.

you already made your choice, now act like it!

• Haha 1

Be like water my friend

1 hour ago, @mu said:

Absolutely no reason, I don't often think consciously about it (that or pointing my fracking toes :D). A pity because they are both good cues for elevation / upwardness.

A half-unconscious reason might be personal body memory, as in: legs together + pointed toes = hollow body hold or hanging leg raises or V-sit, eg whatever piking figure involving a lot of abs and in HS that will make me pike too. I already use more tension than needed in my lower half (I tend to pike anyway). No doing it might release some tension which in turn helps with holding longer (saving energy).

It's a possible explanation but not a valid reason though! Basically, I need to learn to tidy up my form with minimal energy / tension.

nomather what im very envoys  of your handstand!

maybe try to gently squeeze your peach  while pressing the legs together should counteract the piking, maybe.

anyway, I need to put more time in, so we one day can do a handstand battle! you inspire!

Be like water my friend

37 minutes ago, Norgaard said:

nomather what im very envoys  of your handstand!

maybe try to gently squeeze your peach  while pressing the legs together should counteract the piking, maybe.

anyway, I need to put more time in, so we one day can do a handstand battle! you inspire!

ah ah the "gentle" part is the bit I'm working really hard on :lol: 

ANYTIME :tyrannosaurus::P

Here is a little woot update with another ~1mn HS about 4 months later. My shape has really improved. I did Garage Gym Girl's press to HS programme. I'm still working on the press but my HS shape has really improved a lot with her feedback and programme. Highly recommend her. And the keyword is PUUUUUUUUSH :D

• Like 2

On 4/7/2019 at 7:16 AM, @mu said:

Unlocked a big milestone this morning :D I have been training HS on parallettes for nearly a year now.

My shape still needs work but I'm so so so happy :D Thanks to everybody who helped me out here, the forum has been so useful in this progress. The journey continues!

Video below:

that's amazing! wow!

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

19 hours ago, gabrielle_of_poteidia said:

OMG this is incredible! Gymnasts are like superhumans to me! I am in awe! I love your hair as well - it's like watching Lara Croft in training!

Ha ha thanks :lol: IMO I look much better doing HS than standing on my feet.

If you like it, go for it! HS need a fair amount of dedicated time but they are rewarding really!