recrudescence  breaking out afresh or into renewed activity; revival or reappearance in active existence.

I'm back!  It's been a couple of years since I've been active on Nerd Fitness.  I went back to work in 2017 after 16 years as a SAHM and every spare moment has gone into my re-education and re-acclimation to the working world.  Now I'm in a place where I'm looking to return to a life of balance.  Work at work, home at home, self-care prioritized. 

Until the start of the next 4-week challenge, I'll check in daily on this battle log thread to report where I'm at.  What I'm eating and how I'm being active so I can plan out a good challenge. 

Image result for suggestions

I am looking for suggestions for strength training.   I'm coming off of a very painful 18 month tennis elbow injury.  I dropped xfit, tried medication, did about a year of PT/acupuncture, a round of cortisone, and also a round of PRP.  I fear the return of the pain but know I need to strength training.  So ideas - please!!

• Like 2

mom2sjm
Rock Gnome Rebel

Level 28

current challenge

Day 1:  Food

breakfast - normally I drive thru starbucks and get a breakfast sandwich and a tea (or, even worse, thru mcdonads for the BS and a coke...). 
today I grabbed a jimmy dean's breakfast sandwich from the freezer.  with water. 

snack AM - 1/2 chocolate brownie protein bar (costco)

lunch - our school provides lunch to teachers.  it's homemade and kid size portions.  today I had the baked potato w/1oz cup of each:  sour cream, bacon, butter and a 2 oz cup of shredded cheese.  also a very yummy m&m cookie and a three apple slices.  again - kid sized portions.  with water.

snack PM - 12oz can of coke

dinner - youngest son is taking a cooking class this week during his spring break.  I ate what he brought home:  1 bowl wonton soup with a side of some kind of noodle salad.  chinese food so I'll be hungry again in an hour, right?  we'll see...  with water.

later snack - starbucks fruit/nut thing.  more water.

Day 1:  Exercise

Other son just started working at the PRO club and with his employment gets one add-one membership.  that's me, just got my card on Saturday!  Since it's an add on membership I can't go during "prime time" M-F so I have to wait to exercise until 7pm!!  When I did xfit I usually did the 4pm class so I wouldn't talk myself out of going.  But I'm going to really try.  Tonight I did 30 minutes on the treadmill, 10 on a bike, and 5 on this stair thing.  I went into the "cardio theater" which was very dark so it was a hot mess trying to see the buttons and make all the things work.  

• Like 1

mom2sjm
Rock Gnome Rebel

Level 28

current challenge

Day 2

Food

breakfast - jimmy dean egg bowl with water

snack AM - whole chocolate brownie protein bar (costco).  water.

lunch - school lunch chicken w/rice bowl, chips w/2oz cup salsa, churro, 90c coke/water.

snack pm - 90c coke

dinner - miso soup from son's cooking class (4oz?) plus 4 crab/avocado sushi rolls and one peanut butter cookie (he also made the cookie.  spring break...).  with water.

later snack - nut/fruit pack from starbucks, snack cheese.  water

Exercise

did a weight equipment version of  "cindy" at the pro club.  it went okay despite people getting in my way.  got recommendations on which things to use for the push/pull moves.  used a leg press machine for the squats just to keep it all equipmenty.  think it went okay.  we'll see how the elbow liked it later...

Image result for scared of gym machines

Goal for this Week

food -  stay away from take out.  I know the jimmy dean isn't the greatest replacement for the drive-thru breakfasts that I normally have, but it's a start.   kind of weird dinners this week with the leftovers from the son's cooking class.  I already ordered all my lunches for the month but in may I can switch to salads (which never come with dessert!!).  do not buy new soda for school once my current supply runs out.  

exercise - go to the gym every day M-F.  this saturday is pokemon go community day so I'll do that (3 hours of walking.  slow walking but it's outside...).  

• Like 1

mom2sjm
Rock Gnome Rebel

Level 28

current challenge

ooph!  just as I set my goal to "stay away from take out" (aka no drive-thru) you know that was allllll that was on my mind this afternoon.  had such a crappy day at work, this one student (and his parents...)  argh!!!!.  on the way home I really wanted to drive thru mcdonalds and get a coke.  but I'd already had my school cokes today plus I stated my goals...  it was so hard but I did it.

Image result for resisting temptation

ok.  now I'm ready to check in.

Day 3

Food

breakfast - jimmy dean breakfast sandwich and water

am snack - nut/berry pack from star bucks

after pe (and the student incident/parent response to email...) - 90c coke

lunch - school lunch:  meatball sub, 2 oz cup cut up strawberries, fudge brownie (2x2 square - so yummy!!)

pm snack - 90c coke

dinner - leftovers from son's cooking class.  today the menu featured items from Korea - fried rice, noodle/veggie mix, some yummy beef strips.  water.

after workout snack - chocolate brownie protein bar (costco)  more water

exercise

40 minutes intervals on treadmill a la couch to 5k

• Like 1

mom2sjm
Rock Gnome Rebel

Level 28

current challenge

Day 4

Food

breakfast - jimmy dean egg bowl.  water

am snack - 90c coke

lunch - school lunch BBQ chicken wrap w/doritos.  water.

pm snack - 90c coke

dinner - leftovers from son's cooking class.  pad thai (korea).  90c coke

after workout snack:  protein bar.  water

Exercise

45 minutes cardio at proclub

image.jpeg.eec3366aa4f1c2beeab426a9d81ba085.jpeg

mom2sjm
Rock Gnome Rebel

Level 28

current challenge

Day 5

Food

breakfast - jimmy dean bk sand w/water

am snack - 90c coke

lunch - baked potato w/1oz cups sour cream, butter, bacon and 2oz cup shredded cheese.  water.

pm snack - 90c coke

dinner - 2 fish tacos w/water

date night snacks:  a few fries w/ketchup and two beers

Image result for nerdy date night

Exercise

30 minutes Pro Club = 20 mins strength training on machines.  squats/push/pull.  10 mins warm/cool on tread

mom2sjm
Rock Gnome Rebel

Level 28

current challenge

Day 6

Food  

breakfast - jimmy dean breakfast bowl.  water.

am snack - 2x cheese snack, 12oz coke

lunch - can of nalley chili, 12oz coke

pm snack - grande hot chocolate (starbucks)

dinner - leftovers from son's cooking class - rice, beef/noodles, some kind of crap w/shrimp

late night snack - cheese, fruit, and nut tray

later night - 3x 12oz beers, 2x cheese snack

Image result for ashamed

Exercise

Pokemon Go community day (3 hours walking)

Image result for pokemon go

followed by 20 minutes in whirlpool at proclub

mom2sjm
Rock Gnome Rebel

Level 28

current challenge

Day 7

image.jpeg.4bc0cec0e62c443852e91262bd77a870.jpeg

Those three beers last night didn't do me any favors today...  but it happens sometimes.

Food

breakfast - eggs benedict w/hashbrown and 12oz coke

AM snack - saltines and cheese

lunch - ivar's clam chowder

PM snack - 12oz coke

dinner - we'll see.  maybe tacos.

Exercise

30 minutes cardio 

Goals for the week - avoided the take out: YAY!  I did exercise at the gym everyday:  YAY!

Goals for next week - no beers at home.  all it does is lead to cheese snacking, a crappy sleep, and then an unproductive morning when I had so-so many things to do...  

mom2sjm
Rock Gnome Rebel

Level 28

current challenge

Thinking hard about the upcoming challenge:

Image result for thinking hard gif

It's hard because I'm not loving the gym*, but it's a free membership so i'm going. 

image.jpeg.fc1907e2f27e575aef9b06617f4d34ce.jpeg

*I'll probably like the gym better once I get into classes however, for right now I don't want to re-injure the arm so I'm sticking with machine work. 

Sketchy Exercise thoughts here

Mon/Fri:  strength on machines

T/TH/Sun - treadmill C2-5K

Sat:  pool activity (hydro cardio or fitness class)

Wed:   eventually it'll turn into another strength day but for now I'm open to ideas.  going for low intensity because it's like an off day but I'm still at the gym. 

Food Plan thoughts here

breakfast:  working towards making my own eggs again...  got to get up earlier :)

order salads for school lunch instead of hot lunch

sodas are almost gone so I can go for the no soda.

beers out only  (on date w/husband or out with friends)

no beers at home unless it's during GOT which I watch with the husband unit so it's kinda like a date

Image result for i drink and i know things

the long term goal is to lose 15 pounds.  short term goal is to get thru the end of the school year w/o emotional eating & drinking which is why I'm 15 pounds overweight to begin with.  so I'll probably also put some goals in there for relaxation and stress relief.  maybe headspace?  journaling?  taking time for art?  not sure.  still thinking.

• Like 1

mom2sjm
Rock Gnome Rebel

Level 28

current challenge