• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

You and me both. Look at all that work space!

I'm pretty excited about the increase in counter space over where we live now.

4 minutes ago, Emma said:

That's a beautiful house. Hope you will all be happy there. :)

Thanks!

• Like 1

That house looks like it is a good size. Nice big back yard too. Congrats. Hopefully, All the inspections and things come through fine. I'd like to move to an area where we might be able to get a house. I'm not getting any younger! haha

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tateman said:

That house looks like it is a good size. Nice big back yard too. Congrats. Hopefully, All the inspections and things come through fine. I'd like to move to an area where we might be able to get a house. I'm not getting any younger! haha

We got a preliminary report on the inspection from our Real Estate Agent who was with the inspector. We are waiting on the full report. There are issues that need to be addressed before we can move forward. We are hoping the sellers continue being as reasonable as they have been.

• Like 2

Today is a good day. Still waiting on the formal report from the house inspector. From there we'll figure out how we want to open the second round of negotiations. Had an interesting day at work, where my supervisor and I discussed burnout, perfectionism, and ways to strengthen my ministry. I'd been having niggles at the back of my mind about burnout, it became apparent today I'm struggling with it. We talked about some strategies. On the way home a phrase that occurred to me was "I don't have to put pressure on myself." That is going to be part of the healing process. That, coupled with dealing with perfectionism, will help me in many ways. I suspect those two factors are behind my fitness and nutrition malaise. I think my next challenge is going to be Eat. Move. Rest. 

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Today is a good day. Still waiting on the formal report from the house inspector. From there we'll figure out how we want to open the second round of negotiations. Had an interesting day at work, where my supervisor and I discussed burnout, perfectionism, and ways to strengthen my ministry. I'd been having niggles at the back of my mind about burnout, it became apparent today I'm struggling with it. We talked about some strategies. On the way home a phrase that occurred to me was "I don't have to put pressure on myself." That is going to be part of the healing process. That, coupled with dealing with perfectionism, will help me in many ways. I suspect those two factors are behind my fitness and nutrition malaise. I think my next challenge is going to be Eat. Move. Rest. 

Good thoughts. Amazing  how much pressure we can put on ourselves. I'm sure with your job even more so. As for the challenges, I was just telling Fonzico that whenever I try and make my challenges too complicated I struggle. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That, coupled with dealing with perfectionism, will help me in many ways. I suspect those two factors are behind my fitness and nutrition malaise. I think my next challenge is going to be Eat. Move. Rest.

I think "Forgive" or "Accept" might be another good watch word for your challenge. I know that for me, acceptance or self forgiveness is something that I struggle with. I feel that if I really look within, I find that it isn't that I'm striving for perfection, it is more that I am unable or somehow unwilling to accept that I am human, that I need to forgive myself for the same behaviors I would understand and accept in others. 

If you told me you blew your diet by eating three full giant size bags of spicy Doritos in one sitting, I'd tell you it was okay, and you can get back to eating well next meal... but if I did that, I am likely to find myself in a funk of self loathing.

It comes from something I read recently... I think it was "The Subtle Art of Not Giving A Frick*"... but it really resonated with me. Instead of "Do unto others as you would have done to you." I turn it around to "Treat yourself as kindly as you would treat another"

Why do we find that so hard to do sometimes?

*That isn't the exact title, but I think you can guess what word I changed

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

On the way home a phrase that occurred to me was "I don't have to put pressure on myself." That is going to be part of the healing process. That, coupled with dealing with perfectionism, will help me in many ways. I suspect those two factors are behind my fitness and nutrition malaise. I think my next challenge is going to be Eat. Move. Rest. 

In my own experience, when I am a perfectionist, I can make the biggest of wins seem like a big loss.  Rest can be your friend. It's also worth noting that getting a new house, even if it's good stress, is still pretty stressful.  You could be partially fried from the home sale.  Your mileage may vary, of course...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Good thoughts. Amazing  how much pressure we can put on ourselves. I'm sure with your job even more so. As for the challenges, I was just telling Fonzico that whenever I try and make my challenges too complicated I struggle. 

Yes, no pressure is going to become a reality in my head.

7 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

I think "Forgive" or "Accept" might be another good watch word for your challenge. I know that for me, acceptance or self forgiveness is something that I struggle with. I feel that if I really look within, I find that it isn't that I'm striving for perfection, it is more that I am unable or somehow unwilling to accept that I am human, that I need to forgive myself for the same behaviors I would understand and accept in others. 

If you told me you blew your diet by eating three full giant size bags of spicy Doritos in one sitting, I'd tell you it was okay, and you can get back to eating well next meal... but if I did that, I am likely to find myself in a funk of self loathing.

It comes from something I read recently... I think it was "The Subtle Art of Not Giving A Frick*"... but it really resonated with me. Instead of "Do unto others as you would have done to you." I turn it around to "Treat yourself as kindly as you would treat another"

Why do we find that so hard to do sometimes?

*That isn't the exact title, but I think you can guess what word I changed

I wrote out next challenge before I saw your post. You are right, those are important words. In the way I wrote the challenge they are rolled up in rest, though I didn't use those words. One of the things that has been helpful for me in my journey is learning to talk to myself the way I would talk to someone who is hurting. Yesterday on the way home I told myself "I love you" and meant it as much as I mean it when I say it to my wife. As for that book title, why would you change the name of The Subtle Science of Not Giving a Frick?

26 minutes ago, Moros said:

In my own experience, when I am a perfectionist, I can make the biggest of wins seem like a big loss.  Rest can be your friend. It's also worth noting that getting a new house, even if it's good stress, is still pretty stressful.  You could be partially fried from the home sale.  Your mileage may vary, of course...

For sure, buying a home is stressful. At least we are not in a situation where we have to coordinate selling one home to buy another. Right now we rent.

Today is a good day. I got up and took it easy, and did the NF Beginner BW workout. I only did two rounds. That, however is a huge win. I didn't want to do anything. I did something. It was therefore awesome. I went to the hospital, though it's my day off. The reason is a good one, there was free lunch to celebrate hospital week. I get salty about being told to come to meetings on my day off, but when the message is, "hey, there's free food, come if you want," I'm more lax. From there I went to the police academy where I and some of my fellow Chaplains addressed the cadet class that is graduating Friday. From there I had planned to come home and change before grocery shopping. I realized at the Academy, however, I was done peopleing for the day, so I decided to come home and do laundry today instead and get groceries in the morning. I then cooked, for the first time in a while. I suddenly realized that cooking would be an act of self-care. I would be creating something, and healing my soul. I made some cole slaw with shredded green and red cabbage, whole grain mustard, honey, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and mayo. The flavors were perfectly balanced, as all things should be. I also made potato salad by cutting multi-colored baby potatoes in half and boiling them. When I drained them, I added them to a mixture of mayo, whole grain mustard and smoked paprika. That wasn't quite enough, so I added some sea salt and garlic powder. That got it right where I wanted it. I then heated the following sausage under the broiler.

One of these:

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-longhorn-cheddar-cheese-smoked-sausage/127094

and one of these:

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-texas-heritage-smoked-pork-and-venison-sausage/1670962

It was dang good.

• Like 13

On 5/13/2019 at 10:40 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The home inspector we hired has a bad taste in his mouth for the neigborhood the house is in. He got involved in a lawsuit over foundation work there and I got the impression he'd suggest we look elsewhere.

my boyfriend had this problem when he bought the house we live in now. The home inspector seemed to purely hate the house and she gave the bank a terrible report on it. She was writing up safety violations for things like a broken soap dish. My boyfriend wound up going over there and doing a bunch of repairs (the house was empty; it was a foreclosure). We had it inspected (and had to pay for the inspection) four times.

It wound up working out, but if the sale hadn't gone through it would have been a huge waste of effort.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I suddenly realized that cooking would be an act of self-care

I have come to feel this way too.  

• Like 2

On 5/15/2019 at 7:37 PM, DJtrippyT said:

my boyfriend had this problem when he bought the house we live in now. The home inspector seemed to purely hate the house and she gave the bank a terrible report on it. She was writing up safety violations for things like a broken soap dish. My boyfriend wound up going over there and doing a bunch of repairs (the house was empty; it was a foreclosure). We had it inspected (and had to pay for the inspection) four times.

It wound up working out, but if the sale hadn't gone through it would have been a huge waste of effort.

I am greatful the inspector did a thorough job with this house, it needs some work.

22 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I have come to feel this way too.  

:) 

Yesterday was a good day. Sra. Tanque and I went over the home inspection report and looked at our realtor's recommendations. We are asking for about 15k of repairs. That's a lot, but if they aren't done we aren't buying the house. It needs new siding, new garage doors, some leaks repaired and some water damage repaired, and a few other things, including minor roof fixes. The realtor is putting together the addendum and we'll see what the sellers decide. I also cooked. I got some chicken thighs and chopped them. I cooked them in sesame oil with powdered garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper and rice vinegar. I also made a peanut sauce with peanut butter, water, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, honey, powdered ginger and garlic powder. I put some of that on the chicken as it cooked. I then added some stir fry veggies and more sauce and let that all cook. I then added the rest of the sauce and served myself some. I put some udon noodles in Sra Tanque's half. It was very good.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I got some chicken thighs and chopped them

Do you buy your thighs boned or do you bone them yourself?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I am greatful the inspector did a thorough job with this house, it needs some work.

:) 

Yesterday was a good day. Sra. Tanque and I went over the home inspection report and looked at our realtor's recommendations. We are asking for about 15k of repairs. That's a lot, but if they aren't done we aren't buying the house. It needs new siding, new garage doors, some leaks repaired and some water damage repaired, and a few other things, including minor roof fixes. The realtor is putting together the addendum and we'll see what the sellers decide. I also cooked. I got some chicken thighs and chopped them. I cooked them in sesame oil with powdered garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper and rice vinegar. I also made a peanut sauce with peanut butter, water, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, honey, powdered ginger and garlic powder. I put some of that on the chicken as it cooked. I then added some stir fry veggies and more sauce and let that all cook. I then added the rest of the sauce and served myself some. I put some udon noodles in Sra Tanque's half. It was very good.

It’s a big list, but not unreasonable. 

Mmmm udon. I need to check out our asian market in the city. This meal makes me hungry :love_heart:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Do you buy your thighs boned or do you bone them yourself?

I buy boneless skinless thighs, then hold them over the skillet while I cut them with kitchen shears.

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

It’s a big list, but not unreasonable. 

Mmmm udon. I need to check out our asian market in the city. This meal makes me hungry :love_heart:

It's absolutely reasonable, those repairs we requested are very important.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

They did not :(

The deal fell through.

Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The deal fell through.

That's a bummer.  If it helps, I've never regretted walking away from a house purchase when the deal went sour.

• Like 5

I'm sorry to hear that Tank but it obviously wasn't meant to be. I bet the house you get will be much better - this is what happened to us :) 

• Like 1

Ugh! The same happened to us - but we ended up loving the place we bought even more than we would have loved the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The deal fell through.

They’ll find it hard to sell, with that much needing done.  

• Like 2