• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Shadow

Pullups lead to neck soreness.

So last night I was CRUSHING Pullups, and doing way more than I usually do. I wasn't using the best form twords the end, and went to bed immediatly afterwards.  Now my neck is super sore. I'm aware of how my form was bad from a forum post from 2013 that I found, but It didn't cover how to make the pain go away. Maybe eat more protien? Today is a training day, and I don't want to inflame it. Help! 

You could try some gentle stretches. I also take Tumeric . I will take Advil if needed, but my rule for myself is, if it is sore enough to need Advil, than it is too sore to train. I' try some gentle stretching, then if you feel like it you could try your workout. Sometimes, if it is just stiffness, working out may help. But if it is more than that, you will probably need to take the day of  training an just do some stretching or go for a walk.

• Like 1

A day late, but neck rolls are a good stretch for stuff like this.  And since everything is connected, you should also consider shoulder stretches.  I like to do shoulder shrugs and rolls in a dead hang to loosen things up.  You can also try rolling out any knots or problem spots with a lacross ball or racketball press against a wall, using it similar to a foam roller.  Just watch how much pressure you apply, especially near joints.

Always be sure to stretch/cooldown after your workout.  That's the best way to prevent DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness), so you can stick to your workout schedule.  When I get DOMS, I like to change my next workout to a light version of whatever I did last to warm the muscles back up, then do a long stretching/yoga session to help them recover.

Also, I strongly recommend stopping your workout, or changing exercises, if you can't maintain proper form.  Without proper form, you aren't working the muscles correctly to progress and are increasing your chance of injury.  So you're better off stopping early and trying again next time than pushing through it and risking your future workouts.

• Like 1