• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
halftruths

Halftruths sooth! Now with photos!

Okay, I'm ripping what I posted in the November Challenge thread in the Rebel Army Base Camp area:

Race: Half-Elf - 5'9", 134 lbs. It can be difficult for me to gain weight at times, but not totally impossible, hence the "half" bit of my race.

Profession: Monk - I'm actively involved in Karate, became interested in fitness years ago thanks to training in TaeKwon Do, and I do a bit of belly dance (used to be REALLY intense with it, but have backed off significantly due to a change in goals). I like cross training, circuit training, and strength training.

GOALS

Fitness: I'd like to be able to do 40 perfect form push-ups by the end of December. I can currently do between 15 and 20, depending on how I'm feeling. In order to achieve this, I'll need to start up a daily push-up routine. The routine doesn't need to be very long and can be tacked on to other work-outs, but it needs to be done.

Nutrition: I want to start eating more meat. Generally, my diet is very healthy, but my husband and I don't always get meat every day and as we are both inclined to be somewhat on the skinny side. He's DEFINITELY an elf, at 6'2" and 149 lbs, and even though he had very broad shoulders and lots of wiry muscle, has a hard time putting on weight. We took a hard look at our diet and figured that more lean meat (including red) is a necessity. I have meat in our deep-freeze, but I often forget to take it out of the freezer in time for it to thaw for dinner. I'd like to boost our meat intake to at least one full portion of lean meat (NOT bacon, which has been our fall-back meat for too long!) four days a week. Please note that I'm not going paleo - that isn't one of my aims.

Life: I want to level up by starting up a regular writing scheme again. In particular, I'd like to start writing fiction again and get going on a non-fiction study I've been thinking about for some time. By the end of November, I want to have EITHER one short story written OR one chapter of a longer story written. I'm thinking that these will probably be 2500 to 3500 words long. By the end of November I also want to have gotten off my ass and ordered the supplies for the year long non-fiction project.

I have meat in our deep-freeze, but I often forget to take it out of the freezer in time for it to thaw for dinner.

I eat primarily grass finished meat at least 2 meals out of 3. I frequently forget to take meat out for dinner. If your meat is packaged in vacuum packed bags you can thaw it quickly by putting it in a bowl of warm water for 3-5 minutes. Thaw it just enough to get the packaging off. Most of my meals start with frozen meat at about 5pm and dinner by 6ish. Chops, steaks, sliced tenderloin, chicken breasts or leg/thigh portions and similar cuts can go direct from freezer to broiler no problem. Slow cook stuff like shoulder roasts and ribs can either be browned while still frozen then cooked in a slow oven or stuck in a very hot oven for about 30 minutes then reduce temps to slow cook temps. At our altitude slow cook is usually at 275-300 degrees but at lower altitudes 250 is slow cooked. I often start dinner slow cooked at lunch time. But I work where I live so that may not be possible if you work outside the house. I don't own a crock pot but you might look at those options for slow cooked stuff from frozen to done over the course of a day.

One word of warning DO NOT use a microwave to thaw meat, esp. for grass finished meats it will make it very very tough.

'Cause it's never too early to start posting the fitness stuff...

TODAY, November 15th...

Food - made a rather delicious Thai dish for supper. As part of it, I ate a 160 gram portion of pike (fish) that I actually remembered to take out of the freezer this morning! Every little victory counts.

Fitness - Monday night Karate - class is 2 hours, with the first 40 minutes being running interspersed with katas as our workout (my sensei is big into conditioning, for which I am very grateful). No push-ups during Karate, though, which is unusual. I did 50 push-ups when I got home: one set of 20, one set of 15, and one set of 15 (the last three were REALLY hard to crank out, especially while maintaining proper form). So yay for day one of my mini push-up programme.

Writing - one of my closest friends has agreed to be my writing buddy. Both of us have been trying to get our asses in gear when it comes to writing, and we've set up a preliminary schedule to exchange our work. AND I recruited my buddy Faetan to this Nerd Fitness challenge, and she knows where I live and where I lurk online, and can attest as to whether or not I'm writing again! Faetan, expect to get writerly tidbits in your email from me, and feel free to reciprocate!

So yeah - day one is off to a good start. W00t!

Holy crap! Another Canuck! Alberta, represent! :)

Subscribing based on our local connection, lol.

Hell YEAH! You're right around my neck of the woods, too!

Edmonchuck? I grew up and lived most of my life in E-Town. Moved out to the Grove a few years ago and haven't looked back. I can tell you that I don't miss a thing about Edmonton and I HATE any time I have to drive in for any reason at all. I work in St. Albert, so I can give the big E a complete miss most days, thank FSM.

Don't sweat forgetting to thaw your meat. Like Oogie said - almost all of it can be cooked from frozen and this is how we wind up cooking most of our foods. It may take a slight bit of extra time in the cooking side of things, but it beats waiting around for hours for it to thaw. And when you have little hands getting into things, especially the fridge, you don't have to worry about them getting their mitts on a handful of raw chicken or some such that way too.

Eating meat is so awesome. I love it, and like Sandman said, don't worry so much about thawing the meat. It still tastes the same, just it's harder to marinate if you wanted to do that. Anyway, if you don't want to cook from frozen, you could always defrost it in the microwave. Then again, you may not appreciate the cancer microwaves give you...choose your destiny!

Woot Alberta! I love your monky pants. They look comfy. I'm curious about your diet - I've never known anyone who just generally doesn't eat meat but isn't vegitarian. I guess it's cheeper, at least! What does an average day's food look like for you?

What sort of nonfiction are you thinking of writing? Essay writing for fun... Thats a strange sort of activity that I can totally get behind.

I'm also loving the monk pants. I'm in desperate need of some new pants for dance practice. Might have to consider going monkish myself.

Oh, and I'm also a champ at forgetting to get meat out to thaw. I usually end up running home from work, filling the sink with warm water, throwing the meat in and praying it thaws quickly.

Monk pants rock! Those ones are from my Karate gi, but I also have a much thicker pair of Judo pants that are equal in their awesomeness. I'd love to get a pair of the fisherman's pants I found while in Australia - they had the same sort of cinch tie at the waist, but were of a lighter material and the legs flared out quite a bit. They would be perfect for marathon video and D&D game days.

Althea - the meat depends on the day of the week! On work days, I don't have meat at breakfast or lunch (ie: breakfast will be a bit of bran cereal with chopped fruit, nuts, and maybe seeds on it with milk, and lunch will be veg, fruit, and a PB&J sandwich on homemade 100% ww bread), and supper will end up being something like brown rice and a lightly cooked stir fry with a wide variety of veg in it. Our weekday suppers might involve a bit of meat, but it's more like a small hit of flavour and likely only ends up being the equivalent of a 1/3rd to 1/2 portion. If there's no meat ready to go in the fridge, then there's no meat in the supper and we don't particularly miss it. I will often cook a serving of meat for dinner on Monday and Tuesday nights, sometimes because we have leftovers from the weekend, or because Karate on Monday night is later in the evening and Tuesday is my one non-scheduled evening out of the week, so I have a bit of extra time to cook. I do really love cooking! That being said, we tend to eat small portions of meat regardless. The rest of our meals are made up of lots of veg and some grains.

Weekends are a different story - we almost always have eggs for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday we usually have supper at my mother-in-law's (which we always look forward to, bless her heart!), and there is always a full serving of meat involved.

I do tend to cook dishes that leave leftovers, which on one hand is good BUT also tends to be largely vegetarian in nature. Last week we pretty much lived off of homemade carrot soup with toast. I used to be very good about cooking up several portions of meat one day out of the week (god bless the slow cooker), and then we'd use that in our weekly meals, but I've gotten out of the habit. It's the husband's birthday and we're having the parental units over for dinner, which will be a nice steak stew and should yeild at least two extra days worth of meat related food.

So...yeah - it's more like we're just bone-ass lazy when it comes to planning for meat dishes, and as we're both fairly creative in the kitchen we can go for six days without having any meat and not really notice it. I mostly have to get back into the routine of getting that weekly meat prep done.

Holy crap! Another Canuck! Alberta, represent! :)

Subscribing based on our local connection, lol.

Hell YEAH! You're right around my neck of the woods, too!

Edmonchuck? I grew up and lived most of my life in E-Town. Moved out to the Grove a few years ago and haven't looked back. I can tell you that I don't miss a thing about Edmonton and I HATE any time I have to drive in for any reason at all. I work in St. Albert, so I can give the big E a complete miss most days, thank FSM.

Don't sweat forgetting to thaw your meat. Like Oogie said - almost all of it can be cooked from frozen and this is how we wind up cooking most of our foods. It may take a slight bit of extra time in the cooking side of things, but it beats waiting around for hours for it to thaw. And when you have little hands getting into things, especially the fridge, you don't have to worry about them getting their mitts on a handful of raw chicken or some such that way too.

Ai! I'm rather fond of my wee city! Then again, I live in an area that I really like, can easily access pretty much all of my standard haunts, and can take the train to work (yay for the southside LRT extension!). That being said, I worked out in the Grove for a couple of years and it was pretty darn easy to get around there. A couple of my gamer buddies live out there and love it.

The thawing thing is mostly an issue on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday - I have either karate, dance, or night classes on those days and the added cooking time can become problematic. What has helped is simply:

not...

freezing...

the meat!

So if I get small portions of meat at the farmer's market during my Saturday food run, I don't immediately toss it into the freezer and then I will definitely cook. However, we have a half pig coming in, as well as some venison, and that will need to get put into the ice-box. I really just need to be more consciencious in my planning.

Okay, so today was a rest day as I didn't have time to get in a workout (still gonna do my 50 push-ups before bed, though). BUT did good on the food front, as the occasion of my hubby's birthday and a dinner with the parental units had me cooking a wild boar tenderloin roast with roast root veg, a bit of rice, and mushrooms.

Hubby's calling me to bed now - it is getting late. Better hit the deck, power through the push-ups, and get my ass into the sack.

DAY THREE:

A bit 'meh'. I didn't to my 1.5 k walk to the train for my morning commute (I was late getting out of bed, and didn't have time even though I really like my little pre-work walk), but I did walk home from the train in the afternoon despite the nasty weather. Dance class tonight, 1.2 hours, but not much of a workout. Did my push-ups when I got home - 1 set of 20, 1 set of 15, 1 set of 10, 1 set of 5.

Food - pretty light today - 1/3 cup bran flakes this morning with 1 tbsp dried cranberries, 1 tbsp slivered almonds, 1 banana, about 1 cup of 2% milk, 1 cup coffee. Lunch was PB&J - two thin slices of my ww bread with about 1.5 tbsp natural peanut butter and 2 tsp crabapple jelly. 1 ambrosia apple, 2 carrots, 1 cup tea. I had a handful of cheetos (hey, man, no guilt for small occasional portions!) after getting home. Supper was a small omlette - 1 egg, with half a tomato, half a bell pepper, and some cheddar, with 3 water crackers. 1 cup of chocolate milk. I had probably four medium bites of chocolate birthday cake (left over from yesterday) after getting home from dance. Now sipping on peppermint tea.

I'm okay with not having any meat today. After the rich supper yesterday, neither the hubby nor I really wanted a rich or large supper.

Now for some pre-bed WoW!

Mmm, your food sounds delicious. Crabapple jelly is my favorite.

Is it bellydance you do, again?

Yup - advanced class was last night. We're trying to prep the choreo for the annual christmas student show we do with another BD studio. Choreo makes my head explode.

The crabapples were good this year! I got a huge load of them from one of my coworkers, and they were freakishly sweet. I jazzed up this batch of jelly by adding rum while it cooked. The results are to DIE for. :D

Yo! Very much Egyptian/Oriental. I dabbled with a bit of Tribal, but my habit of getting carried away and complete lack of attention span makes paying attention to the leader VERY tricky.

OKAY, yesterday...would that be day four?

Thursdays suck for me right now, as I have night class right after work and I don't get home until 10:00. So it's inherently one of my rest days. As the spot right between my shoulder blades decided to have a conniption yesterday and reminded me of their ire for hours on end, I also skipped the push-ups. I'll get brutalized at two back-to-back Karate classes tonight, though, and I'll make sure to get my push-ups in, so I'm not worried.

I did get in my walk to and from the train yesterday. 1.5 K each way, and it takes me about 12 minutes. Took me a little longer because of a dump of snow, but that make the walk a little more exercisey.

Food wise, I was okay. Lots of veg, and I really regretted that tomato soup for lunch - it was gross, tasted like watered down ketchup. Thursday is usually a veg day because of my screwey schedule (Thursday's pain-in-the-ass status may be given over to another day starting in January, depending on when my classes land), but there was a small piece of fish waiting for me when I got home. Probably about 2 oz? Not much, but it was mighty tasty.

Egyptian/Oriental style in da house! Starting taking lessons a week before my 20th birthday and I've been hooked ever since. :)

I'm absolutely in love with folkloric dances too though. Especially Saidi. Nothing like some cane dancing and mizmar music to pep you up.

Okay, here's the big-ass update since I haven't posted since last Wednesday:

Thursday: Aside from a walk to and from the train before work and after class (1.5 K each way, approx. 12 minutes), which was a little more strenuous than usual due to a nice big dump of snow, I didn't do much else. I had night class and didn't get in until about 10:30 pm. Food-wise, it wasn't horrid. Lunch was revolting - the tomato soup tasted like salty, watered down ketchup. Veggies and fruit through the afternoon, my typical WW PB&J sandwich during class. Hubby had a small chunk of snapper ready for me when I get home along, so I had a small protein hit. Completely forgot to do the push-ups. Triste!

Friday: Hubby had a rice, veg, and sausage stir-fry ready when I got home. Probably 1.5 - 2 oz of meat. Walk to and from train (3 k total), had 3 hours of karate in the evening. No run this time around, BUT there was a whole lot of kicking! We drilled kicks until my legs felt like they should fall off. Lots of jumping kicks, lots of combos, a few sets of pushups (20 reps per set). Good workout overall. Had about 3/4 cup yogurt when I got home (half french vanilla, half plain), with a palmful of granola on it for crunch, so there was another protein hit. I like yogurt after a workout.

Saturday: Pen-and-paper D&D nerdfest and potluck at my place! Omelet for breakfast. I made chili con carne for the potluck. It was freaking TASTY. I'm sure I got more than one serving of meat, and I *definitely* got more than...uh...four servings of processed white flour, sugar, and saturated fats (yay for another birthday cake for the hubby, care of one of the D&D nerds!). Seeing as it was an all day nerdfest, I got pretty much no exercise unless you count a bit of running around for groceries in the morning and then running around the kitchen cooking and cleaning. Forgot to do the push-ups.

Sunday: For once, we didn't have anything scheduled and our usual Sunday dinner with Mom-in-Law was cancelled. So we locked ourselves in the house and binged World of Warcraft. Had leftover omelet for breakfast and leftover chili for supper. Did a 40 minute circuit workout, which involved some push ups, but forgot to do the rest of my push ups. Did about a 30 minute stretch. Followed up with some light housework.

Monday: Had to be at work early, so no morning walk, and no evening thanks to meeting up with the hubby after work to run some errands. Tuna wrap and veggies at lunch. We had the sausage/veg/rice stir-fry left over from Friday for supper - we like to eat more lightly before karate. Probably worked out to 1.5 servings of meat between lunch and supper. 2 hours at Karate - no run, but we had a really freaking long sparring session that left me gasping. It was awesome! 120 g yogurt and a mini-bagel with some cheese after karate. Forgot to do my push-ups.

Tuesday (today): No morning walk, but I walked home from the train (minus 18 celcius, which was SIGNIFICANTLY warmer than it was yesterday). Small tuna wrap and salad for lunch. Did a 25 minute fast circuit training session, followed immediately up with a 10 minute leg strength routine. Stretched and rolled out the muscles afterwards. Baked vegetarian pizza for supper - both of us felt lazy and didn't want to cook - two raw carrots, and a glass of red wine. I'll do the push-ups before bed.

Very little elaboration, but there ya go!

Also, RE: the profile pic - I barley have any pictures in which I'm *not* making stupid faces. Hee hee!

Sign in to follow this