• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
halftruths

Halftruths sooth! Now with photos!

I love your new profile pic.

Me too! Between yours and Spezzy's, I am constantly cracking up while reading these posts. I think that I need to take a goofy photo -- maybe with my clubs or something.

The goofy ones are the best ones! :mrgreen:

Wednesday was a complete wash! I had about four mini meatballs in a broth-based soup for lunch, walked home from the train, and ditched out of dance class because I have an assignment due today that I desperately needed to work on. So once I got home, I proceeded shower and then to cozy up with a glass (or maybe three) of Cab Sav and MS Word to pound out a paper on a business contract case study. I started at about 6:00 pm. Hubby came home, we chatted, and then he settled down for some Warcraft and broke out the chips. I had a couple handfuls of those, some more wine, did some more writing, and by about 8:30 clued in that neither of us had eaten. But who needs food when you are buzzing from wine and positively exploding with academic nontechnobabble?!? NOT ME! Nope, I went on writing and drinking and snacking. I suspect that I had about four good sized handfuls of salt-and-pepper chips, three glasses of wine, about a cup of chocolate milk, and then when I couldn't ignore food any longer, had a mini bagel with about 14g of cheddar at around 10:00 pm. I had also spewed 1,368 words of pure bilge onto the computer screen (I had the attention span of a kitten all night, and kept interrupting the blatherfest every few minutes to look up things like houses and lolcats). At about 10:30, I gave up on the paper, played about half an hour of WoW, pounded out my 50 pushups - 1 set 25, 1 set 15, 1 set 10 - and went to bed.

WOW. THAT WAS AWESOME.

Or not.

But at least I got most of that paper written!

Thursday - I got a bit of tuna in thanks to the catered meeting lunch, and a couple of mini meatballs (really tiny ones), but nothing else in terms of meat. I did walk to/from the train, but there wasn't really any other exercise that day. I didn't get home from night class until around 10:45 (train was late, grr). Forgot to do my push-ups.

Friday - No meat other than a little bit of deli ham. Went to one of two karate classes - did 28 push-ups in a row before class, and 2 sets of push-ups during warm up. The husband and I then skipped our second class. It's been a pretty shitty week at work (no real good reason for it other than mounting unhappiness and frustration with my chosen profession) and I was feeling really down to the point where I just didn't have the nerve to push myself through a second class. I very rarely skip out on class, and usually I'll be revived and feel much better with the physical activity, but just wasn't feeling it. So we went out for coffee and snacks instead, and stayed at the diner for about 2 hours, yakking away. It was exactly what I needed. Once we got home, I did another 50 push-ups: 1 set of 28 (that seems to be my current limit of consecutive push-ups with proper form), 1 set of 12, 1 set of 10.

I will admit that I'm not making much headway on the Life goal - I haven't done much writing aside from this forum, and I don't want to count the paper that I wrote on Wednesday towards "life" because I want to be pushing myself forward on my own projects instead of relying on the external impetus of school assignments (even though I actually do like writing essays). But I did write a rough outline for a story during a rather dull meeting last week and have been pecking away at that. It isn't quite as much as I wanted, but it's something.

yay pushups! Way to not just call the night a wash and stop trying entirely.

What class are you taking? Working toward a degree?

No point in giving up on something as quick as the push-ups just 'cause I spend the rest of the night indulging! Besides, push-ups make me feel badass, and for some reason so do writing papers, so they seem to go together quite naturally.

I'm working on a business management certificate. Even though my grad degree ostensibly prepared me for management level work, there wasn't a lick of actual practical management training in it. I've had to watch many of my colleagues who were thrust into entry management positions struggle with the requirements and the knowledge gap. Even worse, I've been observing many seasoned managers and decision makers in my field make absurd decisions and stupid mistake after stupid mistake with fundamental things like:

-budgets (no, it is NOT acceptable to pluck the budget figures out of thin air - that's exactly what put us severely in the hole in the first place and you are now making it worse)

-workplace policy (no, sending out abusive emails to staff is NOT considered acceptable practice)

-client relations (you do realize that you can cut off service to clients who steal our equipment, waste our time, and drain our resources, don't you?),

- basic communications (dear CEO: "poopie" is not an age or rank appropriate term to use when things don't go your way. It wasn't funny or cute the first time, and you use that expression at least five times a day, often in front of other senior supervisors from other institutions - it's embarassing for the rest of the staff)

- and much more

I've seen it too many times and with too many institutions to have much faith left in the quality of mentors in my field. I don't want to learn management skills from these people, and I think the whole profession could benefit from a more business oriented model of operation. So I decided to take this management program through the Faculty of Extension at my university. I can also use the courses to work towards a professional designation with the Canadian Institute of Management. Every little bit counts. I'm really, REALLY enjoying the courses, too - taking them is making work slightly more bearable. Besides, if I ever decide to open my own business, this knowledge will really come in handy and make my life a lot easier!

-budgets (no, it is NOT acceptable to pluck the budget figures out of thin air - that's exactly what put us severely in the hole in the first place and you are now making it worse)

-workplace policy (no, sending out abusive emails to staff is NOT considered acceptable practice)

-client relations (you do realize that you can cut off service to clients who steal our equipment, waste our time, and drain our resources, don't you?),

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to say those things to bosses past.

That's awesome... It continuously astonishes me to see the nonsensical, impractical, time-wasting and actually harmful things that people think are good business practice. Common sense will take you far, as will continually reevaluating your habits and practices, but I know there is stuff I could always do better. Good for you for actually thinking about your education, instead of going through to motions to get a certificate!

Rightey - O:

Saturday: No workout, as I was not without company from 6:16 am to 11:30 pm. I did do my push-ups right before bed, though. Food-wise, I has a lamb burger for supper (oh, it was good!), so I got in a full serving of meat there.

Sunday: 35 minutes cardio/strength interval training, followed immediately by 10 minutes of leg strength. I'm upping the poundage of the freeweights that I'm using during interval/circuit training, and my arms felt like noodles afterwards. Big piece of fish in the evening for meat. Did my push-ups before bed, 1 set of 25, 1 of 15, 1 of 10.

Monday: Karate. Long, interesting workout which left the majority of the folks bagged but thanks to my circuit training I was still feeling pretty chipper at the end of the hour long workout! I still worked very hard, definitely pushed myself, especially in terms of endurance, but I wasn't dying at the end and recovered quickly. Another 45 minutes or so of katas (we have grading coming up, so we've been doing a lot of kata practice lately). Hubby cooked up a nice big red snapper fillet for supper, so fish two nights in a row which is pretty unusual for us. Forgot to do push-ups.

Tuesday: Well, I've been at work for about an hour and a half, mostly just putzing around. Need to do something productive today. I'm not sure whether or not I'll be working out this afternoon, as I have an appointment for dental work this afternoon, and that leaves my face and jaw brutally sore for some time (I don't freeze well - or at all - and am very, very sensitive to the work). I weighed myself this morning - down from 133.4 to 131.8. Doesn't sound like much, but I've been trying to put on weight with muscle mass, not drop it. I might have to up my caloric intake slightly if this weight loss sticks.

No. Definitely no workout tonight. The dental appointment was awful, in addition to getting me gooned on nitrus and the standard local, they had to freeze the left half of my lower jaw completely. It was hugely painful. Once the anesthetic wears off (and I can already feel it starting to wear off, despite the dentist's warning that I'll stay frozen for quite a while), my face is going to hurt like a son of a bitch. I actually adore my dentist - she really does pull out all stops to try and make me comfortable. Thanks to an excess of nerve bundles in my jaw and teeth, there really isn't any way of not making anything more intense than a routine cleaning incredibly painful. :oops:

But this gives me an excuse to indulge in macaroni and cheese, and possibly a smoothie tonight.

Awww, sorry to hear dental work tortures you. You're not a redhead, by any chance, are you? I hear they generally don't take anesthetic/painkillers well, and have more sensitive nerves to boot. Poor gingers...

Nonetheless, good hussle past couple of days. Enjoy your day off as much as you can!

MORE UPDATES GRAAAAAAAGH!!!

Okay - Wednesday...dance class, which was a pretty light workout as far as I'm concerned. Walked home from train, did my 50 pushups after dance (can't remember the sets/reps, though). I vaguely recall eating some meat, but I may be mistaken...

Thursday - No workouts thanks to night class. Did well on my second assignment, though! I've become convinced that my current certificate program is more proof that I'm really, really good at school rather than providing evidence that I have a natural knack for business. It'd be better if it were both. Meat in the form of deli ham in a leftover sandwich my hubby didn't eat. If you haven't tried 100% sprouted grain bread, I STRONGLY recommend it. It's awesome - nutty, dense, packed with nutrients, and keeps you full for hours. Watch out for bread claiming to be sprouted, but cut with flour - only get the flourless, 100% sprouted stuff. Did the 55 pushups when I got home - 25, 15, 15. Actually worked a little but on the Level-up-Life goal and wrote a couple of paragraphs of a story (I've been mostly planning and storyboarding this one, but it'd be good to get some actual sentences down on paper).

Friday - leftover chili mixed with a wierd leftover kale-mushroom-scallion dish over 100% ww noodles. It was strange and rather tasty. Probably about 1 serving of meat all told. Went to karate - no cardio warmup, but more than made up for that with lots of high energy katas, entirely too many scooping push-ups, and some fairly grueling sparring. We also did ab-toughening exercises - one person straps on the heavy weighted gloves and pounds on your abs. I like how well I can take the hits, but wish that I could strike with more power. Ah well, that will come. Skipped out of the second karate class, as the hubby was really, really tired. To be honest, I don't think we'll repeat the back-to-back karate classes again. I can take three hour classes every now and then, but by Friday night the two back-to-backers are just too much. Both of us are mentally and physically done by the middle of the second class, and the quality of our training and effort suffers for it. I was still feeling somewhat spry by the time we got home, so I did another 50 pushups - 25, 15, 10.

Saturday - D&D nerdfest again! Didn't have much time for a long workout, so I did a short strength workout. Combo arm and leg strength movements. Pushups, weighted single leg squats with hammer curls, sumo squats with overhead triceps extensions, planks with oblique twists, planks with single leg toe-taps. About 20 or so minutes all told, but I was huffing and puffing afterwards, not to mention sore the next day, so I guess I got some decent work in.

Sunday - Sore from Saturday - didn't do any pushups and no specific workout, but I did do about four hours of housework. At least its movement.

I'm nearly phobic about going to the dentist and it's not even that bad for me. Good for you for bravely going where I personally cannot go without freaking out.

I've got good incentive to go :

a) a determination to keep my teeth looking good after a couple of years of orthodontics in high school, and

B) the fact that I'm very prone to cavities due to poorly formed enamel.

Going frequently means that there is less likelihood that I'll need a huge amount of work done. After a brief hiatus from the dentist in grad school, I went and needed nine fillings. They were all pretty small and were mostly preventative treatment on pits that had high potential to become cavities, but it still sucked. That office used oral sedation, and the needed to dope me up on three times the amount of happy blue pills they would normally give. I could still feel the drilling (which freaked out the dentist), but was released from it when I finally passed out in the chair from the Valium. Apparently I have excessive nerve bundles in my jaw, or something. That, and I've never really responded well to anesthetic (although the Marcain shots I occasionally get in my left glute to control a weird muscle-spasm related sciatica condition do work beautifully for a little while).

OKAY - Monday: scrambled egg for protein, went with cheese, sprouted bread toast, some potatoes, and a big of tomato soup for supper/pre-karate meal. Karate wasn't quite the usual heart-pounding, muscle shaking, sweat dripping effort that it usually is, because Sensei spent a great deal of time playing with our brains instead. Figuring out the Bunkai - the attacking moves against which katas defend and retaliate - when only one person is playing the attacker and has to run around like crazy to get all the sequences in is a bit of a mind job. Still, it was a good workout. Did my 50 pushups when I got home.

Today: Tuesday! Oh, Tuesday. I have such mixed feelings about Tuesdays. But this was a good Tuesday! Got home, did 40 mins of circuit training and added some poundage to several of the moves (upped the freeweights from three pounders to ten pounders on about five of the moves). Food thus far hasn't included a whole lot of meat, but I did find a couple chunks of bison in some leftover stew that I unearthed from the freezer. I might have an egg as well. Had a bit of chocolate milk right after the workout, about fourty five minutes before eating supper.

Now I am allow my conscience to war over the two options for the evening: study for my commercial law final, which is on Thursday, or get rocking on the new WoW Cataclysm expansion. At the moment, WoW is winning out. The commercial law textbook is BRUTALLY DULL, and I usually fall asleep after three or four pages, plus, I'll be surreptitiously studying while at work tomorrow and on Thursday. Of course, I could also pull out the textbook, read a few pages, go back to WoW for several minutes, read a couple more pages, go back to WoW, etc etc etc...

Lessee...Wednesday - I don't actually remember what I did on Wednesday. I had a final exam on Thursday, so I'm pretty sure I didn't work out at all on Wednesday. Skipped out on dance, too. But I did my push-ups! Dinner at my mom-in-law's place, so I know I got some meat in there somewhere. Darned if I remember what it was, though.

Thursday - Final exam for my commercial law class. I walked to and from the train, but that was it. No push-ups. No meat at all.

Friday - Karate. Not much of a workout, 'cause it was grading day. Hubby and I dinged, huzza! It was a pretty greasy, calorific day even though I didn't actually eat all that much volume wise. Went for lunch with my dad, which involved delicious beer (yay for drinking during the workday!) and a really fantastic, beautifully rare steak sandwich. I probably had about four or five oz. of the steak, and some fries. Didn't eat much of the bread. I vaguely recall a few mouthfuls of chocolate milk when I got home, but I wasn't hungry for supper and didn't really eat. We went out for post-grading celebratory food at Red Robins with several of the karate folk after grading, as per tradition. Still wasn't hungry, but I packed back a milkshake and a couple more fries.

Saturday - Feeling really tired. I did a bit of a strength workout, about 20 - 25 mins total. Weighted single leg squats with hammer curls, sumo squats with shoulder presses, rows with the resistance band, bicycle crunches, twisting plank, plank single leg touches, push-ups. I pooped out after that. I wasn't hungry at all that day - breakfast was a couple bits of a shared cinnamon bun, one poached egg with toast. No lunch. We were at an open house followed by UFC fight night, so supper consisted of a couple hors d'oeuvres type things, some mulled wine, a bit of champagne, and then at UFC, a couple of very dissapointing chopstick-fuls of Wok Box teryaki chicken (next to no chicken, few veg, and soapy tasting sauce - hubby and I shared a box, and didn't even come close to finishing it), and a bit of wonton soup.

SUNDAY! YES!

Today was my first sample of kickboxing. One of the sensei at my karate club has set up a gym in his garage (padded floor and all), and every Sunday a local kickboxing instructor goes to his place and trains for three hours with whoever shows up. Apparently there are usually between four and eight people, so it's a really good session. Holy CRAP, was it one hell of a workout. I've never tried kickboxing before, so knee and elbow strikes are new to me. Additionally, I've never done that much boxing in one go, nor have I ever boxed with heavy gloves before. Those heavy gloves felt like lead weights after a while, so I know my arms got a damn good workout. Quite a few push-ups by the end of the session as well.

The best part? I am BEAUTIFULLY bruised. I haven't been this bruised in a long time. Several photos are below, but I must say that the camera just didn't catch the depth and complexity of the colouration. They really are quite gorgeous! So here we go:

The left thigh bruise decorates my leg with a pretty patchwork pattern:

Posted Image

And look, it has a friend forming on the right thigh!

Posted Image

Here's my right elbow - it's a wee one, but it's such a nice purply-blue, with striping. It's shape and colouration reminds me of the leaves on my Wandering Jew plant:

Posted Image

And my right knee. I broke a blood vessel right under the skin on the point of the knee while we were doing knee strikes at the start of the session. Watching it progressively ooze into a larger and larger patch was entertaining. It's gotten darker as of late, and I'm interested in seeing how it develops:

Posted Image

And here's one that my lovely host's lovely wife took (I thought my left arm was going to fall off by this point):

Posted Image

There isn't any bruising on my belly, even though we finished up by doing crunches while the trainer beat our abs with a target shield. It was awesome! It was three hours of awesome! I'm planning on going back next Sunday, and even though we won't be doing it every week, we'll definitely be heading back for more.

Food this morning was rough cut oatmeal with apples, raisins, some spices and maple syrup to flavour it, and hemp seed sprinkled on top. Our host's wife, who couldn't join us due to a knee injury, offered us cupcakes and after that workout I gratefully accepted one, sugar content be damned. Tonight I'm making 100% ww spaghetti with homemade bolognaise sauce - lots of veg in there, and the meat is beef from my friend's farm mixed with wild game (venison, I think).

One of the sensei at my karate club has set up a gym in his garage (padded floor and all), and every Sunday a local kickboxing instructor goes to his place and trains for three hours with whoever shows up.

The first rule of Kickboxing Club is YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT KICKBOXING CLUB!!!

Seriously though, that's effing cool.

It was pretty effing cool! Looking forward to the next round of pain on Sunday.

Today: Monday, Dec. 13th - STIFF AS A BOARD from kickboxing. Moving around this morning was oodles of fun. Stretched out quite a bit at work, and walked home from the LRT so that I could coax some movement back into my limbs before karate. Karate went for a little over an hour and a half, and was straight-up sparring, mostly in groups. It was pretty wicked, and I now have bruises gracing my shins to compliment those on my thighs. I have the prettiest legs in Canada now!

Food - had meat at supper - more of the ground beef/wild game combo in tomato sauce with a very small amount of pasta mixed in. Lots of onions, etc. Some hemp seed sprinkled on top. Post-karate snack = about 1/3rd cup yogurt, one cinnamon raisin mini-bagel (toasted, one half with about 2 tsp nutella, the other half with about 1 tsp butter and a couple thin slices of extra old cheddar).

I'm gonna give myself a 'B' for this challenge.

My fitness goal was to be able to work up to 40 perfect form push-ups. This was worked on by doing 50 pushups on most nights of the week, regardless of any other exercise. I started out being barely able to squeeze out 20 pushups at a time, and can now get to 30. I'm still 10 short of my goal, but I do tend to overreach. I did pushups on average of 5 to 6 days a week, taking the occasional rest day. I'm fairly please with how this went, so I'll give it a B+.

My nutrition goal was to increase my meat intake to at least one full portion of lean meat at least four nights a week. Some weeks were good, but as Christmas approached and my schedule in the evenings got wonkier, I would get lazy and the meatless days would begin to creep up. I'm now re-setting my habits by batch cooking larger portions of meat so that I can just grab it even when I don't have time to cook. I'd give myself a B- in this area.

My Life goal was to increase my writing by getting at 2500 words of fiction written this month. I didn't do so hot on this one. I did get a few hundred words down, as well as create a rough story outline for said work, but I didn't do much fictioning aside from that. I did have a few papers to write for my classes, which amounted to over 4000 words altogether, and I have been posting on a regular basis in this forum and have increased blog postings, which for me does count. The words are slowly coming back to me after taking a far too lengthy hiatus. I did not get my ducks in a row for the larger non-fiction blog project I have in mind. I'll be carrying that goal forward to next month. Grade: D

So why a 'B'? Well, that's because other life things went really well. I've been becoming more organized in my approach to housework, did a royal clear out on my desk at work and established a new neatness/cleaning/general organizing habit that has helped significantly boost my productivity. Additionally, I have admitted to myself that I am not the best fit for this line of work (even though I am completely competent at it) and that this reality does not make me a bad person (guilt issues, much?). I've given myself to continue doing this work and have recommitted to doing it well, but with the realization that I will be focussed more on making headway on different career options at the same time - whether that is by taking on a different branch of my profession or going in a completely different route altogether is yet to be seen. AND I tried kickboxing, and have become bolder in my sparring, and the bruises just look damn cool! So even though my precise goals weren't totally reached, there were other things that happened which helped with my discipline and 'mental health', so to speak, that deserve a couple of points.

A bit late, but those were some very pretty bruises indeed. I'm glad I'm not the only one who can admire tenderized tissue. I think it's a badge of hard effort, or something. You have to WORK to get bruises nowadays!

You did awesome this Challenge, Halftruths. Not only did you get some fantastic progress in your goals, AND not only did you do good things in Life Outside Fitness (LOF?), but you posted actively and helped out a lot of people on the board, including me. I'm really glad you joined up, and can't wait to see you hit your 40 pushup goal next Challenge!

Sign in to follow this