• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DJtrippyT

Take it Outside ll: Electric Boogaloo (djtrippyT)

My seventy-eight year old mother just called me and was raving about this new painter she found on some random cable channel, and that she's now watching all the episodes she can get.

It's Bob Ross

WHAT IS GOING ON

E628F7A5-A475-43F5-A9BE-B92A63CEB0FD.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DJtrippyT said:

Bob Ross

A timeless genius; Bob is truly multigenerational.  This reminds me that I need to introduce my daughter to his work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

How did she never...

Surely PBS...

She must have forgotten...

Well, she *is* nearly eighty.

It’s just so weird that the one subject keeps coming across my radar all week [looks around suspiciously]

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Or, as Lewis Black puts it, “One day your neighbor says he saw a bear in the back yard and you’re like, ‘That guy’s an idiot’ but the next day you look around and there’s f$&king bears everywhere!”

this is is a true story: probably because I work in some weird intersection of advertising and I’m exposed to a lot of... I was going to say actors but maybe “performers” is better term, I used to be this weird magnet for Elvis Impersonators. Seriously. I knew people who did it for a living, I would run into them on sets, I was literally in the Louvre (yes, that Louvre) with a photographer I’d worked with for years and I was pondering some piece of art when I heard him say “No. F$&king. Way.”  And I looked up and there was a guy in full Elvis regalia earnestly contemplating the Mona Lisa. And my photographer friend looked at me and said “what IS it with you?” Like I was going around passing out peanut-butter and banana sandwiches to random passerby in the hopes of drawing yet another one into my orbit. We counted up later and figured out that I had met 47 Elvis impersonators in my lifetime. 

I attract random things. I think that’s the point I’m going for. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

We counted up later and figured out that I had met 47 Elvis impersonators in my lifetime. 

I'd really like to hang out with you. 

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2019 at 3:13 AM, deftona said:

I'd really like to hang out with you. 

I'm always hungry and I smell like bicycle grease; what's not to love?

• Like 1

Week one updates! What the hell has Trippy been doing this week, you ask yourself. 

Monday: gym. I did 3 circuits of all this

dumbbell thrusters, 12 x #40

jump rope, x 100

inverted rows, 5 reps

weighted walking lunges, #20, sets of 20

Let me share how much those walking lunges sucked.

then I ran 30 minutes on the treadmill. ran/walked, I should say. The lunges took a toll.

Tuesday I just worked all day and didn't work out

Wednesday I had a double workout planned, bike and kayak, but the Mantis called me first thing in the morning and wanted to ride bikes, so I went riding with him instead. We did 15 miles on the comet. It was fun because he hasn't been riding so we actually rode together instead of just doing the first few miles together and then him leaving me in the dust.

Then I went to the gym later in the day, so I still got my double workout in, just differently. 

3 sets of everything, except the deadlifts where I did 4. Straight sets, not circuits

rower, 10 min warm up

deadlift, #90, x10 x12, x15, x20

Step ups w/ #50 kb, x 24

bicep curls #15 x 10 (each arm)

farmer carry w  #90lbs (2 #45 kbs)

1 arm rows, #25 x 12

Then I flipped the tire 60 times and by then I felt like I'd gone six rounds with George Foreman. But I need to get used to longer spans of activity to get ready for the adventure race, which is 7-8 hours long.

Today I really should go to the gym, but I'm tired and I wanted to get a bunch of work shiz done and I'm not making much progress there. I was planning to kayak tomorrow, then Saturday I am scheduled to do my first run with the women's trail running group I joined (which will ironically be my last, as the woman who runs it is leaving town for three weeks and the group is going on hiatus) and then Sunday I'm going to hike up Stone Mountain again. Yipes. I'm also supposed to study navigation and topo maps at some point this week.

So right now I'm in a new coffee shop working on sending out resumes and revising some work documents, and trying to find my next job. I went to my regular spot this morning but I had to park six blocks away because the streets nearby were blocked, and then some hipster townie asked me not to sit at a particular table because he was having an Important Meeting (all the tables are long family-style tables) and after I moved I realized I'd left my laptop charger in the car - six blocks away, I may have mentioned this - so I just left and came to this other place that just opened a month or so ago. I kept meaning to check it out. It's more cozy-cafe than workspace - I'm sitting on a very comfy couch at the moment - but it's about the same distance from my house, it's right down the street from my favorite mexican restaurant, and it's actually about halfway to the gym. AND they have sandwiches. I love sandwiches. I could get used to this.

It probably goes without saying that I've had a LOT of coffee today

Maybe I SHOULD go to the gym

40B6B478-C620-42FD-AE8C-144A5F65C93C.jpeg

• Like 2

OMG I just looked at the calendar and my race is exactly three weeks from today. 

I don’t know if I’m going to make it

eeeek

• Like 4

In the interest of not panicking, I’m making a list of the stuff I still have to do for the event

-go over the list of mandatory carry items (this is the small stuff I’m required to carry at all times; map, safety whistle, first aid kit, compass, water, iodine tablets, etc )

- get my gear tub and pack it (this is just a Rubbermaid tub, have to double check the packing list - it’s shit like changes of clothes and wet gear and what not)

- get a water bladder for my daypack (can get this at REÍ this weekend when I get maps) 

- be able to confidently take a compass bearing and read a topo map (halfway there)

- tune up my old hybrid bike which I’ll ride for the mountain bike section (needs new inner tubes)

- be able to run three miles without stopping (two thirds of way there)

- pick shoes. (Probably going to wear my broken in running shoes rather than change shoes this late)

- stock up on powrbars and bodyglide

- make hotel reservation for night before

- hyperventilate

eta: non of these obstacles are insurmountable. There’s a bit of shopping, which I can do as well as any normal human, a bit of bike maintenance, which if worst came to worst I can take the bike to the bike shop and have them do it (rather do it myself though); and a bit of organizing and planning. And I keep reminding myself that this is a first attempt and a moderate race; I am in no way there to “win”, just to see if I can finish and figure out how it all works. This event has multiple transition areas, so if it gets really bad I just have to find my way to a transition and I can drop out safely - it’s not like the pro events you hear about where they drop you off from a helicopter and you have to make your way back to civilization like Bear Gryllis. 

Its going to be fine. Everything is going to be fine. 

A16AC4A1-CA3D-4A11-B384-AE254B17C17E.jpeg

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You got this. 

[I was gonna post a Sheena pic but could not find one that I could post in good conscience] 

This one is good, though perhaps a bit heavy on the subtext

41A209A1-C95D-48E1-8F25-DA2641B02121.jpeg

• Like 3

You did so amazing at the Crossit games. Adventure Race will be a piece of cake for you. Walkling lunges are killer. I've been doing them just bodyweight as part of my workouts, and I'm sure impressed that you do them weighted. I'd most likely die if I tried that.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 10:24 PM, Elastigirl said:

You did so amazing at the Crossit games. Adventure Race will be a piece of cake for you. Walkling lunges are killer. I've been doing them just bodyweight as part of my workouts, and I'm sure impressed that you do them weighted. I'd most likely die if I tried that.

you're much too kind. I was really happy with those results, though.

I feel sure walking lunges are forbidden by some peace treaty somewhere. The Geneva Convention? Maybe.

• Like 1

Week one wrap up and updates

This weekend's workouts wound up getting all re-arranged.

Friday: did nothing. I couldn't get my act together to go kayaking and so I pushed it to Saturday or Sunday (mistake)

Saturday: the group run got cancelled at the last minute, so I went to a bike/hike trail near my house and did three miles combined walking/jogging there. It was harder than it should have been - I probably should have eaten beforehand, but it was early and I didn't feel like it. I probably jogged 1.5 of the three miles. My milestone for this week was 2.5 miles and I didn't get it, but hopefully by mid-week I'll be there. 

directly after the jogging I went to the gym and did my workout there. I didn't bother to do a warm-up as I had just jogged.

three circuits of: 

Dumbell squats: #40 (two 20-lb dumbells) X 10, X 20, x 30

box jumps (10 inch) x 10

wall ball x 10

Kb swing #25 bell, x20

jump rope x 50

I went up 10 reps on each round of dumbell squats. I should have done 30 minutes on the rower or something at the end but I was beat, and I still thinking I could get a kayak in at some point, so I just stopped there. All told it was probably 2 hours of workout including the jogging, with a 15-minute break in between the jogging and the gym to drive from one to the other. Not long enough, but a decent effort, and man I was feeling it after the gym.

Sunday (today) has been a wash. I planned to get up early, hike the Stone Mountain walk-up with my pack, and then kayak because I do that right at Stone Mountain also, but I got roped into a family event for my boyfriend's family and didn't get home until almost 4 pm, so the kayaking was out. I thought I would still go do the hike after I did my chores and stuff but my legs are like lead so I'm going to call today a waste. I did get to REI to pick up the supplies I need for the race (hydration pack and some other stuff).

So I'm just going to devote the rest of the day today to getting caught up on chores and getting ready for the week, so I can steamroll over all my obstacles. I got a couple of maps I needed and I'm going to practice taking bearings tonight.

Tomorrow, Monday, I'm supposed to ride early with the Mantis, and I'm going to bring my hiking stuff with me, so after we do that and grab lunch and I do some errands I'll go to stone Mountain and do the walk-up trail that I was going to do today.

Week one roundup: Not the worst of times, not the best of times

I got some stuff off my don't-panic list: 

-go over the list of mandatory carry items (this is the small stuff I’m required to carry at all times; map, safety whistle, first aid kit, compass, water, iodine tablets, etc )

*this isn't done, but I went over the list and I think all I'm missing is the whistle and the iodine. I'm going to assemble the pack I plan to take with me tonight so I can do the training hike tomorrow. I can grab the whistle and iodine at the Dick's I have to pass on the way there.

- get my gear tub and pack it (this is just a Rubbermaid tub, have to double check the packing list - it’s shit like changes of clothes and wet gear and what not)

*still have to figure this out

- get a water bladder for my daypack (can get this at REÍ this weekend when I get maps)  got the hydration bladder (which was wildly expensive, damn) AND the maps

- be able to confidently take a compass bearing and read a topo map (halfway there) I practiced with topo maps the other day and I'm pretty sure I've got those down. I'm going to practice the bearings this week, and I'm going to print out a sheet on how to take one and keep it in my pack during the race, in case I panic and forget how to do it. I'm a bit of a panicker.

- tune up my old hybrid bike which I’ll ride for the mountain bike section (needs new inner tubes) *gotta move this to the top of the to-do list

- be able to run three miles without stopping (two thirds of way there)  *swears incoherently

- pick shoes. (Probably going to wear my broken in running shoes rather than change shoes this late) *I'm actually trying to break in a new pair of shoes, my old ones are really beat. This will be a game-time decision.

- stock up on powerbars and bodyglide   got these at REI, and got a new tube of anti-chafe cream for the bike

- make hotel reservation for night before did this, just have to show up

- hyperventilate taking this off the list and focusing on positive energy, and all the pizza I will eat post-race

My training wasn't perfect, but I got in two double workout days, which I'm very pleased with; if nothing else I've leveled up in my workouts a bit. This is the hardest I've ever trained for anything (mortal terror will do that, I guess). I didn't lose any weight this week, but I'm grinding into shark week so I may be bloating a bit. Midweek I was hovering at 209.

I didn't get a kayak run in, but I'll get it this week, and I'm taking some comfort in the fact that everything I'm reading about adventure racing mentions that almost everyone is weakest in the paddling section, because it's so inconvenient to train. Since I kayak pretty regularly I may even have a bit of an advantage there, and it helps that I'm in a kayak and not a canoe (if you compete as a team you get a canoe) since canoes are tippy. I'm more concerned that I missed my running milestone. I don't think I'll ever have to run three miles at a stretch - I think the terrain will call for run-walk-run-walk - but I'm using it to gauge my cardio fitness and I'm a little concerned about it.

Okay, I can't obsess about this anymore, I have to go do laundry

I seriously considered this hat today

C6A3F111-8A3D-4803-A79E-8B892AEDA902.jpeg

• Like 5

So impressed with your recent training and progress on the "don't panic" list. I think the race will be really fun. Treat it as an adventure and you're all set!

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 5:26 PM, DJtrippyT said:

My training wasn't perfect, but I got in two double workout days, which I'm very pleased with; if nothing else I've leveled up in my workouts a bit. This is the hardest I've ever trained for anything

It doesn't need to be perfect. The fact that you're working harder than ever before is what counts. Keep working hard and kicking ass!

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 6:26 PM, DJtrippyT said:

So I'm just going to devote the rest of the day today to getting caught up on chores and getting ready for the week, so I can steamroll over all my obstacles.

Narrator:  "She did not do these things."

Week 2 thus far:

Monday, as planned, I did a road bike ride with the Mantis. We did 15 miles in about an hour and 20 minutes. I'm loving this phase he's in where he's just riding for base cardio because we get to do the ride at a normal pace (I think we were 12 mph, which is perfectly respectable) instead of going all Tour De France.

That was the AM workout. I came home and finished catching up on all the shnitzel I didn't finish Sunday, and then Monday PM I hiked the walk-up trail at Stone Mountain, which took about 2 hours and was about 2 miles, but of course the first half is all uphill. There were people out there jogging again and I really have begun to think they are from another planet, one perhaps with less gravity, like when John Carter goes to Mars. It was incredibly disheartening. On the way down, though, I passed people coming up who were clearly suffering just as much as I had been; I guess I just don't see it coming up because my field of vision is about the size of a quarter and I'm basically hoping for a rock slide to take me out. 

I made it all the way to the summit this time and I wore my pack with the fancy new hydration bladder. The water out of it tastes ghastly, like it's been marinating in plastic. I have to rinse it out a bunch and get that taste out. When I got to the top I rested for 5 minutes and then started back down. There was a man jogging up to the summit just as I was starting down that I honestly thought was dying; he was soaked in sweat and he'd reached that point where he was counting his steps out loud to stay focused. When he reached the top everyone already there burst into spontaneous applause. His home planet clearly has normal gravity.

I slept like the dead, btw.

Tuesday I did nothing, because holy moly, my legs. And also I had a bunch of work to do, because I'm not actually getting a shoe contract out of this adventure race and I have to find my next job. 

Wednesday (today) the Mantis and I met at a hiking trail north of town super early and we did a five mile hike in about two hours. I wore the backpack again and he used some army-issue hydration backpack that had major style points.  It's very convenient that his current psycho project (he's doing some sort of Navy-seal based training) and my current psycho project (whatever the hell it is I'm doing to myself right now) have some points of intersection, because for the past year I haven't had an IRL training partner and it's been a drag. Although I'm hoping joining the running group and the cycling club will help with that. 

After the hike I came home and immediately fell asleep on the couch for half an hour. I had it in the back of my mind that I would maybe go to the gym and do a double today but HAHAHAHAHAHAHA my legs said no. I'll go tomorrow.

Panic list: I ordered the iodine tablets and the safety whistle from Amazon, because I never stopped at the sports store and I'm too lazy to drive all the way across town to REI again. They should arrive tomorrow. I'm going to pack my required first-aid kit tonight and stow it in the backpack, and I can just add those two items when they arrive and that will be done.

I think my next challenge will involve testing various pedicures and working on my tan, and napping like this little dude.

DEB2350D-7FF3-4C6F-B364-144347F84244.jpeg

• Like 5

On 4/29/2019 at 10:19 PM, Xena said:

So impressed with your recent training and progress on the "don't panic" list. I think the race will be really fun. Treat it as an adventure and you're all set!

Thanks! Some day I will be able to run waddle far enough to make you proud.

On 4/29/2019 at 11:22 PM, jstanlick said:

It doesn't need to be perfect. The fact that you're working harder than ever before is what counts. Keep working hard and kicking ass!

BAM!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

I think my next challenge will involve testing various pedicures and working on my tan, and napping like this little dude.

I'd sign up for that PvP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1