• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DJtrippyT

Take it Outside ll: Electric Boogaloo (djtrippyT)

2 minutes ago, Xena said:

I'd sign up for that PvP.

DONE! I am totally making a "nap hours logged" PvP for us.

• Like 1

Man, I miss CrossFit. I just did a warm-up, a complete metcon, AND puked in a bucket, in only 36 minutes!

D203EB66-2782-4749-B97E-DDD0274B8D11.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Week two wrap-up

this was a very good week, training-wise. I did a Stone Mountain summit hike, a long 5 mile hike, a medium bike ride, and two gym sessions. Man, i’m starting to feel it though. I’m starting to feel the way I did towards the end of the Open - like the fatigue is in your bones and won’t go away. 

Yesterday was gym. I wanted to do something short but that still involved running, so I did the hero workout “sham”. It’s 11 deadlifts and a 400 meter run, seven times. 

I haven’t run this much since I was in fourth grade and the ice cream truck came to the neighborhood every day. I don’t know how @Xena amd @doctorake do it. (Or @Charlie_Quinn or @jonfirestar either, and I’m not even jumping over shit)

today I’m going to hit the gym, and tomorrow I will do another Stone Mountain hike, possibly combining it with a bike ride on the hybrid bike or a trail run/walk. After that I’m not doing any further “double” workouts - the cumulative fatigue is too much, and the event is only two weeks away so I don’t want to get injured. (Or maybe I do...) 

next week needs to focus on getting the hybrid bike set up, finishing the panic list, and working on navigation which is still sorely lacking. I’m trying to keep my training hours under 8-9 hours so I can start to taper for the event. I think I will have done 11 hours this week after today. It’s like a part time job at this point. Now I know why triathaletes complain about their social lives. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

I haven’t run this much since I was in fourth grade and the ice cream truck came to the neighborhood every day. I don’t know how @Xena amd @doctorake do it. (Or @Charlie_Quinn or @jonfirestar either, and I’m not even jumping over shit)

7x400m repeats is as brutal af. I’d much rather take a 10 mile easy run than do those! That isn’t even taking the deadlifts into account!

• Like 4

Today feels like it’s going to be a rough day. All I can think about are all the undone items in my list and that I’m not ready for this event and maybe I shouldn’t go.

I’ve had to go to four big social events in the last eight days so it may just be that I’m feeling very psychologically depleted. Possibly, too, I am in the throes of PMS. But everything seems insurmountable today. 

Okay, I’m going to give myself ten more minutes to wallow in this, then I’m going to pull myself together and do my chores. Then I’m going to head to the gym by two o’clock, and go from the gym to Stone Mountain to hike (I have to do it in that order because it rained last night and I want to give time for the trail to dry so I don’t slip and fall in some embarrassing manner.). Will update later when my endorphins are in better order. 

• Like 1

I know you're going through a lot right now (work, training, chores, possible PMS, and social events? Yikes, that'd drain anyone!) but I also know how incredibly awesome you are and that you can do anything you put your mind to. You're going to rock this event and it's going to be a really cool experience.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

Okay, I’m going to give myself ten more minutes to wallow in this, then I’m going to pull myself together and do my chores. Then I’m going to head to the gym by two o’clock, and go from the gym to Stone Mountain to hike (I have to do it in that order because it rained last night and I want to give time for the trail to dry so I don’t slip and fall in some embarrassing manner.).

Narrator voice: Did she do these things? Tune in to find out in our next episode!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Narrator voice: Did she do these things? Tune in to find out in our next episode!

Narrator: “She did do all these things [looks off camera] Wait, is this right? She got all this shit done? Damn.”

Nobody more surprised than I am, seriously

chores:

cleaned house

ran dishwasher

washed sheets

organized fridge 

cleaned cat boxes amd feeding stations

put laundry away

got all that done and left for the gym at 2:15. I would have been right on two o’clock but I was fiddling with the way my hydration pack straw attaches to my pack. 

Gym:

12 min stationary bike warmup

box squats 3 x 10 @ body weight 

One arm rows 3 x 12 @ 25 pounds 

Lat pulldown 3 x 10 @ 115 pounds

bench press 3 x 10 @ 65 pounds

Overhead press 3 x 4, 2, 3 @ 95 pounds 

I did the OH press from the floor, so I had to clean it to the shoulder first, then do the set. It’s way harder to do them at the end of the workout rather than the beginning but the trainer at the gym suggested it. 

Sled pulls 5 x 1 @ 225

These were hella fun. I did not break any of the various carabiners today. 

There’s a woman at my gym who is about two weeks out from a bodybuilding competition and she was working with her posing coach today in her competition suit. She’s worked really hard and I’m just in awe of her. I waved and said hi but I didn’t want to interrupt her to ask how it was going because I’m sure that coaching hour isn’t cheap and I’m sure she wants to be super focused during it. 

Finished the gym and went to the trail. Hike went really well! I usually have to stop and sit for a minute at least once before I get to the hiker’s hut that’s 3/4 of the way up, but today I didn’t stop until I got to the hut (except for a couple of 20-second pauses to catch my breath and pretend I was studying my sports watch). The last segment was brutal but that’s mostly because it’s so steep there. Even so it wasn’t that I was out of breath; I just had so much lactic acid built up in my calves that it was agony. 

Rested at the top 5 minutes then headed down. Today was the first day that I did the descent faster than the climb; it took an hour to climb and 47 minutes to come down. I didn’t stop at all and I’m getting more confident with the trail down; I have a phobia of falling so I’m usually super careful picking out my route down, terrified I’m going to trip and wind up with my knees shaped like a geometry problem. 

Water in my pack still tastes like a child’s swimming pool. 

So overall I feel a lot better than I did this morning (my legs may hate me later) and I’ve calmed my nerves by deciding to look at the race as just a really long hiking adventure that also involves kayaks and bikes and getting really tan and try not to get lost and wind up in Alabama or something. 

9E687E86-D5FA-4E5C-93DB-CACED87D56C1.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Atrytone said:

I know you're going through a lot right now (work, training, chores, possible PMS, and social events? Yikes, that'd drain anyone!) but I also know how incredibly awesome you are and that you can do anything you put your mind to. You're going to rock this event and it's going to be a really cool experience.

oh, my goodness, you are amazing. Thank you so much.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 4:21 AM, jonfirestar said:

7x400m repeats is as brutal af. I’d much rather take a 10 mile easy run than do those! That isn’t even taking the deadlifts into account!

Truth!

Trippy....I'm so impressed with everything you've done! All the cardio plus the logistical shit. And navigation. Geez, you have completed gone to the next level on zombie apocalypse survival. Though I guess I should check with @jonfirestar because he is in charge of such things.

And wow, I didn't know there was such a thing as a posing coach. But it makes sense of course.

• Like 3

Omg I’ve been assigned my race number shit’s getting really real y’all

one week to go

#818, ride or die

AC9370CC-3547-4AA5-8BF2-5321B790EC17.jpeg

• Like 4

On 5/6/2019 at 10:41 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Well done this weekend. You are awesome! Don't let anyone, especially not yourself, tell you any different.

Thank you. Sometimes it's the voice in your head that's your own worst enemy

On 5/6/2019 at 7:35 PM, Cheetah said:

You're doing so great!  Keep up the good work!

thanks!

On 5/5/2019 at 4:21 AM, jonfirestar said:

I was not doing them swiftly, I assure you

On 5/6/2019 at 7:39 PM, Xena said:

Trippy....I'm so impressed with everything you've done! All the cardio plus the logistical shit. And navigation. Geez, you have completed gone to the next level on zombie apocalypse survival. Though I guess I should check with @jonfirestar because he is in charge of such things.

STAAAAHHHHP I am blushing

You and @Atrytone will have me convinced I can conquer the world 

Week Three thus far:

Monday was rest day

Tuesday was also rest day, because my boyfriend had car trouble and I had to get him from work which took 3 hours round trip. I got a navigation practice session in though.

Wednesday I did a 15 mile ride with the Mantis and wore the pack that I have to wear during the event. Jeez. It's only about 7 pounds (it'll be about 10 on race day) but even so it makes a difference. I felt like lead. My time and speed was about the same though, so it's okay, I'm just suffering a little more. Suffering is good, right @Sloth the Enduring ?

Today is Thursday and I'm about to go run on the treadmill at the gym. It's raining so I can't do outside and I need to get into the gym anyway so I retain some social skills. I wish I'd gone earlier but whatever. 

I spent a big part of today cleaning out my car and organizing my equipment, and putting aside all the stuff that will have to go in my gear box (which isn't packed yet, but most stuff is laid out). I have all the mandatory carry stuff in my pack. I'll have to add a few things last minute to the gear box but I've decided I'm not going to try to get a kayak in next week so my stuff will be dry and pack-able. I'm still missing the iodine tabs but I think they come in the mail tomorrow.

When I get home from gym tonight I will look at the panic list and see what's left. It's not much - finishing fixing the bike I think. Which I need to do tomorrow morning because I'm supposed to ride it tomorrow afternoon.

I feel like I'm preparing to sack Rome

4B85EC9B-51EB-4D5D-8565-3DAB550E14F3.jpeg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

navigation

I love navigation!  But I haven't figured out how to practice it yet.  What is your method?

Hit my “jog three miles on the treadmill” milestone last night. If nothing else this challenge has shown me that I do not ever, ever want to run that far again. 

57A3F734-71D5-4931-A511-750969252070.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/9/2019 at 7:20 PM, Cheetah said:

I love navigation!  But I haven't figured out how to practice it yet.  What is your method?

It's mostly watching youtube videos and sitting with a really nice map I bought that covers the part of the state the race is in, and using my compass to lay out imaginary routes. Or standing in the living room and figuring out that a 220 degree bearing points me at my television set. This is very seat-of-the-pants learning.

End of week three summary;

week 3 was okay. I’m really, really closing in on this event and starting to get all the ducks lined up. 

I did not go for my ride on Friday as planned, because just as I got back to the house with the new tubes someone called and hired me for job that I literally had to agree to start within the hour if I wanted it. Since work has been slow I obviously said hell yes and dove in. It finishes Wednesday which is perfect.

The tubes I bought were the wrong size anyway; I ordered new ones from amazon and had them overnighted. I put them on tonight (Sunday) 

updates on the panic list 

-go over the list of mandatory carry items : DONE. I packed my backpack for the last time yesterday; all I have to do is add the hydration bladder and another change of clothes. Those iodine tablets never came so I need to hit reí before I go

- get my gear tub and pack it : DONE because it turned out I didn’t need it

- get a water bladder for my daypack DONE and tested several times

- be able to confidently take a compass bearing and read a topo map : ummmm done-ish. Still practicing taking bearings and declination, two skills I never imagined would be on my list

- tune up my old hybrid bike which I’ll ride for the mountain bike section DONE and hopefully it all holds together 

- be able to run three miles without stopping THATS RIGHT DONE MOTHERFUCKERS

- pick shoes. DONE. Wearing new shoes which will ruin them, which is sad. Reserving the right to switch back to old shoes

- stock up on powrbars and body glide DONE

- make hotel reservation for night  before DONE and now that I have an assignment I can actually afford to pay for it

so i guess except for my raging nerves I’m pretty okay. I wish I’d been able to ride the mountain bike last week - I kept pushing that task off, and now it’s come back to bite me in the ass. I should be able to get one ride before I go. 

• Like 4

Great job getting all those things done!

I love Skurka's videos; they're very easy to follow.  I think this summer I'm going to get a compass and map my back yard.  I might try teaching my daughter to navigate around the house, if I can hold her interest with it.  :-)

• Like 1

Last pre-event update. Everything is the same as it was at the end of last week, except the race organizers sent out an email updating everyone on course conditions and I almost decided not to go. Apparently because of all the rain we've had the water's very high in some places and what *was* a wade-able river crossing is now a chest-high fording or a swim. WTF. The email said that the swim is "optional" so I'm guessing that it's on a route that leads to a checkpoint; if that turns out to be the case then I'll just skip that checkpoint, because that's some Revenant-level shit that I am definitely not prepared for.

I'm also a little spooked by the higher water with the kayaking, so I emailed the organizers and they said the water conditions were "perfect". Given that they find a chest-high river fording to be an afternoon's entertainment I'm not sure what "perfect" is.

I went back and forth about it all weekend and I've decided that I'm going to go, but I'm going to check in mentally every hour (and each time I reach something like swimming a river or wrestling a bear, or whatever else they've come up with) and rate how I feel. If I feel like I'm cracking or I'm in a situation that is beyond what I feel is safe, I'll withdraw at that point and head for home base. If I can do the whole thing, great; if not it's a good learning experience and I can see if I want to pursue it further when there are more events in my area in the fall.

I'll tell you what, my unfinished 10-mile ruck challenge can fuck right off after this one

ABFFF0E8-147F-46A6-B54D-959645DAE0F8.jpeg

• Like 4

I lived! I will report more later after I eat everything in the closest Waffle House, but in the interest of full disclosure I did NOT finish; I dropped out about 2 miles into the bike leg. I also almost drowned in the second (lkayak) leg and the race photographer had to fish me out of a rapid so I would have been disqualified anyway, and I ripped a fingernail off somewhere, I’m still not sure where. 

Im so tired 

92396078-00AC-46B0-A51E-B22FD533021B.jpeg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Sounds epic. I can’t wait for the full report.  

You almost got that trippy clinging to a branch update you wanted

• Like 1