• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena plays the Long Game

image.thumb.png.bd6053e12a273ba34079f712a37d19f9.png

Yet another challenge awkwardly timed relative to life events. I’ll be running a marathon at the end of week 1, so I won’t be training particularly hard in week 1 (tapering) or week 2 (recovery). During the second half of week 4, I’ll be traveling and will have constraints on my ability to exercise and types of exercise I can do. I also want to try to make my challenge goals line up better with my life goals. Doing stuff perfectly x times per week adds stress and isn’t always helpful. I have a feeling it wouldn’t work well this time around. So I’m making most of my goals open-ended. I can have as much time as I want to complete them. I get a reward when I’m done. I don’t usually post the specific rewards, and I’m still thinking about what they will be, but probably mostly some kind of clothing.

1.       Lace up your shoes (Run 100 miles). I think this will be easy even with the taper/recovery, and this is the only goal that will be specific to the challenge period. My real goal is to do whatever my coach tells me to do unless I have a good reason not to. I don’t know yet what he’ll tell me to do, so it’s hard to set an ambitious distance goal. I like having some kind of goal though because this is most of my exercise effort, and I like it to “count” for something. I am giving myself the caveat that if the total planned mileage for any week is less than 25 miles, I’m allowed to count cardio cross-training (10 min = 1 mile) up to 25 total miles. It’s not my fault if he makes me ride the damned bike.

2.       Pack your rations (Cook 10 point-earning meals). This is a little bit of a hodge-podge cooking goal that I think matches my actual life goal fairly well. I get one point for (1) Trying a new recipe…ideally from the “A Modern Way to Cook” cookbook, but any new recipe counts or (2) Cooking a storage meal. No double-dipping on this goal (cooking a storage meal using a new recipe is still only one point). ** When I get 10 points, I get a prize. It doesn’t matter how long it takes me. I can do this as quickly as I want or a slowly as I need to.

3.       Brace yourself (1 HOUR OF PLANKING). Sounds like a lot, huh? Break it up as much as I need to, in chunks of at least 30 seconds. Any reasonable variants count, including side planks. Again, I can take as long as I want to do this. When I finish I get a prize.

My other semi-random goal is to finish the sushi list. This was initially a list of 11 things, but I’m down to the last 4: (1) Wash living room floor; (2) Research home insurance and modify as needed; (3) Clean/tidy dresser; (4) Mail two packages. When I finish I get sushi! (I usually buy two rolls from a local carryout place. It’s not all that expensive, but it is a treat).   

• Like 15

Following along of course. I'll probably be making a sushi goal here as soon as my brain is un-fried enough to think of what needs done. I love that it's a motivating, but not extravagant reward

On 4/14/2019 at 7:14 PM, Maigs said:

Following along of course. I'll probably be making a sushi goal here as soon as my brain is un-fried enough to think of what needs done. I love that it's a motivating, but not extravagant reward

Yes, sushi is best unfried :-)

Unless tempura is involved, I suppose.

23 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That's a lot of planking.

That's the beauty of it. It sounds kind of cool, but I can spread it out over as many days as I need.

I've decided that rolling planks don't count. I did some today. They are good exercise, but they are definitely easier.

18 hours ago, deftona said:

Following! 

Image result for planking gif

Truth!

10 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Yay planks! Following. :)

Hi there!

8 hours ago, Moros said:

Following!  I love your sushi list concept...

Thanks, it's fun!

4 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

following along again for awesome goals!

Thanks Nic. I've been very impressed with your goals!

• Like 3

Today was an easy 2 miles. I do this as a recovery run, and it can be as slow as I want. It was slow and there was some walking. I was happy because I couldn't even think of running for 2 miles last Monday (I did a 20 min walk instead). That means I've recovered better after yesterday's 20 miler than I did after my long run last week. I don't really know why. It might be because last week's run was slightly shorter but included more difficult terrain. Or it might be my body getting used to the training load.

I stayed home for a couple hours in the morning to watch the Boston marathon. The women's race was pretty exciting. The winner ran away from the pack early on and managed to hold on, despite the predictions of the commentators. Two Americans were in the top 5. The more I hear Desi Linden talk, the more I like her. My cat (Radcliffe, named after marathoner Paula Radcliffe) is obviously going to live together. But if I ever get another cat, Linden is on the list of possible names.

After work I did a short but solid strength session, mostly core work with some pushups thrown in.

• Like 11

In my world rolling planks are harder. Maybe you mean something different? To me a rolling plank is 3 sec regular plank, then 2 side planks then a back plank, without taking rests in between

For me it's regular plank, roll to left, regular, roll to right...repeat. I don't do the back plank. Those are pretty hard and super awkward for me.

For my it's easier, probably because you keep switching the muscles that you use. Or possibly not easier but hard in a different way. I know it takes strength to move and re-establish balance on each side.

Might not be the same for everyone though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xena said:

Yes, sushi is best unfried :-)

Unless tempura is involved, I suppose.

Tempura fried sushi is pretty good, though with as much crap as I've eaten lately I just want nice, raw, light sushi

I don't remember if I shared it here but I recently learned that the grocery store by my work makes sushiritos and it's amazing!

IMG_20190308_124543844_HDR.jpg

• Like 10

I've heard of sushi burritos and honestly rolled my eyes but now that I see it I wants it. How did I not realize that it's really just a gigantic roll?

Here for more miles, and more sushi :) I am impressed that you've whittled your list down...because mine is growing continuously. Maybe I need to make a separate new list so I can actually complete a list, ha.

• Like 3

I used to make lunches of kimbap (korean equivalent of sushi) which I genuinely did just eat like a wrap (or a roll? idk) and they were always so good. 

But good luck on the marathon!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hiroro said:

I am impressed that you've whittled your list down...because mine is growing continuously. Maybe I need to make a separate new list so I can actually complete a list, ha.

Nah, my list is growing too. You've set your sushi goal up a little differently with points and a growing list. My list doesn't grow, I just have to do everything on it (otherwise some things would never get done). I do have a super secret back-up list for when I finish the official sushi list. Have no fear, that one keeps growing. I just try not to think about it.

• Like 3

On 4/14/2019 at 6:55 PM, Xena said:

My other semi-random goal is to finish the sushi list. This was initially a list of 11 things, but I’m down to the last 4: (1) Wash living room floor; (2) Research home insurance and modify as needed; (3) Clean/tidy dresser; (4) Mail two packages. When I finish I get sushi! (I usually buy two rolls from a local carryout place. It’s not all that expensive, but it is a treat).   

Dealt with the home insurance today, and got my packages labeled and ready to mail :-)

I talked with my coach about the fatigue I felt running last week and the difficulty in hitting pace on a couple of key runs. He scaled down the mileage and intensity this week (good), but added a longish biking session for Thursday (ugh). He said "biking, eliiptical, or maybe something outside would be fun." I think he means biking outside, which I don't want to deal with (I don't like it, sorry guys, I don't even like wearing a helmet). For this week, the quickest and easiest thing is just for me to bike at the gym. On the longer term I would like to think about what else I could do. At some point, I think I'll try hiking on some of the local trails with a heavy backpack (don't want to invest in a proper ruck pack yet). Want to see if I can get/keep my heart rate up enough for that to be useful. Once it gets warmer I can substitute in paddleboarding as well.

TL:DR I have to suck it up and ride the bike a couple times this week.

• Like 9

18 hours ago, Hiroro said:

I've heard of sushi burritos and honestly rolled my eyes but now that I see it I wants it. How did I not realize that it's really just a gigantic roll?

Same here. We probably assumed it was wrapped in a tortilla, which would be kinda lame.

HEY XENA!

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 8:45 AM, Hiroro said:

7 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Same here. We probably assumed it was wrapped in a tortilla, which would be kinda lame.

I did the same thing until I saw them in person

15 hours ago, Xena said:

He said "biking, eliiptical, or maybe something outside would be fun." I think he means biking outside, which I don't want to deal with (I don't like it, sorry guys, I don't even like wearing a helmet).

We are very different in this. My preference of these exercises is order is bike outside, run, elliptical, bike inside. Stationary bikes are about torture for me :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

All things can be wrapped into a tortilla.  The question is whether you should...

39a7fce85dc84e1d1feda3757bc6c3c3.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/14/2019 at 6:55 PM, Xena said:

I finished up mailing the packages today. It took me four trips to the post office over the course of two days. On the third trip, the post office worker was kind of a jerk, so I actually went back to my office to re-address my package and started crying. Seriously...all the complicated and important things I deal with every day, and I'm crying in my office because the postman was mean to me?? I guess it was that kind of day.

On 4/17/2019 at 4:29 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

HEY XENA!

Hey D_R!!

On 4/17/2019 at 11:54 AM, Maigs said:

Stationary bikes are about torture for me :)

oh me too. I just like the other options even less.

On 4/17/2019 at 11:55 AM, Moros said:

All things can be wrapped into a tortilla.  The question is whether you should...

If in doubt, yes?

On 4/17/2019 at 4:47 PM, Mistr said:

Following. Yay for making progress on your sushi list. So close!

Yeah after I stopped crying and dealt with my post office situation, anything seems possible! (I don't know what happened there).

2 hours ago, Terra said:

120 x 30 second planks

That sounds like a whole lot of planking....  Love it!  

Did a minute yesterday, so only 59 to go (or 118x30s)  :-)

It's fun because it's absolutely achievable. And I'm buying myself a new pair of shorts when I finish. Pretty much all my shorts are exercise shorts, so I get confused as to what to wear in the summer when I'm not at work and not exercising. I finally saw a pair in a catalogue (Title 9) that I think I would like to wear and own. This has been a problem for many years. The last time I wore shorts frequently I was in my late 20's and living in Hawaii. I'm older now, live in a more conservative part of the counry, and have been confused about what to wear for many years. Maybe I need Queer Eye to come here and help me out [though I don't think a French tuck would solve many of my problems].

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Xena said:

I finished up mailing the packages today. It took me four trips to the post office over the course of two days. On the third trip, the post office worker was kind of a jerk, so I actually went back to my office to re-address my package and started crying. Seriously...all the complicated and important things I deal with every day, and I'm crying in my office because the postman was mean to me?? I guess it was that kind of day.

Urgh this sort of stuff gets me all the time. I think it's so upsetting because it takes very little to be a pleasant human being for five freaking minutes and it really brings me down some people find that so bloody hard. Console yourself with the thought that yes, he upset you, but it's better to be a little sensitive sometimes than a raging arsehole like he is. 

• Like 3

Yesterday I did a normal-ish morning run. I had hoped it would feel awesome and easy. I would say it just felt so-so. Partly legs still recovering. Partly it was a humid icky morning.

Today was a "Taking Care of Business" day. Lots of cleaning, some cooking, some errands, some work-work. Now to do some more cooking and hopefully some yoga before bed.

I finished the SUSHI LIST!!! I probably won't claim the prize for a little while, but I'll surely enjoy it when I do :-)

My marathon is one week from today :-) :-) :-)

• Like 12