• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

scalyfreak

Scalyfreak continues her studies of pyromancy

On 4/18/2019 at 1:29 AM, Harriet said:

Wait... long limbs make it easy? I would have thought shorties have an advantage (less ROM)? Or even short legs and torso, plus long arms. Like this:

If you look at all the elite DLers, they can touch the bar mid quad at lockout. I lockout the bar at groin level - basically having to pull a further 6-8". Also, in general, longer legged elite DLers tend to go sumo to reduce distance even further. However, there are definitely outliers at the elite level that can do what they want and still be great.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I have had extra water. I have had a cup of tea. I have had dark chocolate.

I will now have gummy bears! :wub:

One pack, right?

IS the reflex thing a new one? Cause I didn't notice it the first time around. That's something I struggled with for years and can appreciate how hard that is to stop.

10 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

tenor.gif?itemid=8636302

Challenge goals have been updated. :) 

Awesome. If the first hydra is work, what is the second? 

31 minutes ago, Grumble said:

IS the reflex thing a new one? Cause I didn't notice it the first time around. That's something I struggled with for years and can appreciate how hard that is to stop.

It was there for Zero Week, but kind of buried underneath all the other stuff. In hindsight, I have been struggling with it my entire life, I just didn't realize it until recently.

27 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Awesome. If the first hydra is work, what is the second? 

Also work. They are of the common sub-species Project Hydras. Insidious creatures.

• Like 1

Woohoo for BB Row over 100!!!! I apparently missed when that happened, so belated congratulations!

Hope the fight against the stress hydra continues to go well!

21 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Woohoo for BB Row over 100!!!! I apparently missed when that happened, so belated congratulations!

Oh yeah! Wow! Do you use momentum, or do strict rows? Asking because I have ongoing, increasingly embarrassing row troubles.

2 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Nothing was missed. I didn't post it until now. :)

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Oh yeah! Wow! Do you use momentum, or do strict rows? Asking because I have ongoing, increasingly embarrassing row troubles.

I do the standard bent-over row with my back at about a 45 degree angle, and I refuse to use momentum since I don't do that on any of the other lifts. :P

I use a power rack so I can start with the bar right above knee height, to make it easier to get into the starting position. Then I focus on activating the traps and lats in my upper back and use them to pull the bar straight upwards. The arms get involved in the second part of the lift, to pull the bar the last few inches to where it touches my torso. I never pay attention to where on my torso the bar touches, as long as it goes up straight upwards. Then the barbell goes back down until my arms are completely straight, and that's the end of the first rep. Downward motion is done slowly so I can control it every step of the way and make sure those back muscles are the ones doing all the work, and not my arms.

I used to hate the barbell row, but stubbornly stuck with it. It was a great feeling when I finally figured out how to work with my body and the barbell to get the form right, so I could start adding weight. :)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

used to hate the barbell row, but stubbornly stuck with it. It was a great feeling when I finally figured out how to work with my body and the barbell to get the form right, so I could start adding weight. :)

and on this day, Grumble's heart grew 2 sizes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I used to hate the barbell row, but stubbornly stuck with it. It was a great feeling when I finally figured out how to work with my body and the barbell to get the form right, so I could start adding weight. :)

It sounds like better form than everyone I've ever seen do them in person, myself included. I never ended up figuring out how to do it without "chicken-necking," and apparently everyone else in the gym I joined has the same problem. I gave up and switched to DB rows. Your dedication is admirable. I may have to try some BB rows again sometime soon in your honor.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

It sounds like better form than everyone I've ever seen do them in person, myself included. I never ended up figuring out how to do it without "chicken-necking," and apparently everyone else in the gym I joined has the same problem. I gave up and switched to DB rows. Your dedication is admirable. I may have to try some BB rows again sometime soon in your honor.

Drop the weight. BB row can never be an ego lift. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

I can't get the BB or DB row right... I'm so completely frustrated that I'm giving seated cable rows and lat pull-downs a try. If I'm sitting down I can more easily focus on the puny lats that my brain barely realises are there. Also if I'm allowed to sit down after deadlifts, I'm more likely to put a bit of effort into the rows instead of worrying about how tired my back is.

26 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

I'm paranoid about form, probably a lot more than most people. There's a family of hip issues, back problems, and in the past - before I learned how to use my brain and properly respect the Goddess of Form - I badly injured a shoulder and a knee, from lifting with bad form and pushing through the pain instead of respecting the signals of my body, and stopping when it hurts and I had to tweak form in mid-lift. Since I wanted to continue lifting after I healed, and love learning things anyway, I started researching how to reduce the risk of injury, and learned about the importance of good form.

14 minutes ago, Grumble said:

What Grumble said. You're lifting with your back. Lower weight and attention to form, above and beyond everything else. There are spinal nerves in there!

3 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I can't get the BB or DB row right... I'm so completely frustrated that I'm giving seated cable rows and lat pull-downs a try. If I'm sitting down I can more easily focus on the puny lats that my brain barely realises are there. Also if I'm allowed to sit down after deadlifts, I'm more likely to put a bit of effort into the rows instead of worrying about how tired my back is.

If you've never consistently lifted anything before, in a gym context, and went straight to barbell row, there is a really good possibility that your brain genuinely doesn't know how to activate those muscles, or even that they are there, because it was never asked to do it until now.

What helps me is to focus on my shoulders and not my bad. Imagine you're trying to push your shoulder blades together, the actual scapulas... if you are successful, your upper arms will be pushed backwards and slightly inwards from the movement of the shoulder joint. Now do it while sitting and holding the cable handles, and you're initiating a rep of seated cable row. I have learned that if I do not focus on shoulder blades move it takes me several reps to get the muscle activation right. Shoulder blade movement gets it in one. :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I'm so completely frustrated that I'm giving seated cable rows and lat pull-downs a try.

I can't speak for the cable rows, but lat pulldowns are legitimately awesome, and one of the driving factors for me joining a real gym (I have BB stuff at home but no lat pull machine). Actually I think they really helped me figure out how to activate lats properly and that definitely translated to figuring out rows.

42 minutes ago, Grumble said:

None of my lifts are ego lifts. And I never did very heavy BB rows. This was purely about not understanding proper activation for a pretty long time. It seems like I'm far from the only one that can perform an exercise for a pretty long time before learning the correct or better ways to do them. DB rows + lat pulls helped me figure out the basic idea of lat activation way better than BB rows ever did, so now I think maybe I could give them a shot again and have more success, and SF is inspiring that!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

I'm so completely frustrated that I'm giving seated cable rows and lat pull-downs a try.

48 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

I can't speak for the cable rows, but lat pulldowns are legitimately awesome, and one of the driving factors for me joining a real gym (I have BB stuff at home but no lat pull machine). Actually I think they really helped me figure out how to activate lats properly and that definitely translated to figuring out rows.

FWIW, I love inverted rows, cable rows, and chest supported DB rows, but actively avoid bent-over rows of any kind. I just see too much potential for 1) my poor form to eff up my body at some point, 2) for me to get 'distracted' on focusing on core stability rather than the back/shoulder burn I'm looking for, and 3) adding lots of unnecessary force to my spinal column when there are good alterative options available. Anecdotally, I've also noticed that some folks end up putting too much weight on the bar when doing rows, rather than focusing on muscle targeting/activation rather than just moving heavy stuff - besides, some folks postulate that upper back muscles tend to benefit from marginally lighter weights/higher reps rather than heavy loading. But then again, I'm heavily biased towards lower technical lifts and 'safer' lifting options, soooo..... ;) 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Defining said:

FWIW, I love inverted rows, cable rows, and chest supported DB rows, but actively avoid bent-over rows of any kind. I just see too much potential for 1) my poor form to eff up my body at some point, 2) for me to get 'distracted' on focusing on core stability rather than the back/shoulder burn I'm looking for, and 3) adding lots of unnecessary force to my spinal column when there are good alterative options available. Anecdotally, I've also noticed that some folks end up putting too much weight on the bar when doing rows, rather than focusing on muscle targeting/activation rather than just moving heavy stuff - besides, some folks postulate that upper back muscles tend to benefit from marginally lighter weights/higher reps rather than heavy loading. But then again, I'm heavily biased towards lower technical lifts and 'safer' lifting options, soooo..... ;) 

I want to critique a lot of this, but instead I'm just going to say the following.

Good on you for recognizing your shortcomings and not engaging in a scary for you lift. Don't let it scare you away forever, but take your time to learn the things that you perceive as shortcomings to attempting that lift again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I want to critique a lot of this, but instead I'm just going to say the following.

Good on you for recognizing your shortcomings and not engaging in a scary for you lift. Don't let it scare you away forever, but take your time to learn the things that you perceive as shortcomings to attempting that lift again.

You're sweet. :) Thank you for the encouragement - I'm not scared of the lift, I just don't feel it where I need to. But I do appreciate the reminder to stretch outside our boundaries of comfort!  And criticism is always welcome for myself, though I don't want to hijack scalyfreak's thread anymore than I have done already.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Defining said:

You're sweet. :) Thank you for the encouragement - I'm not scared of the lift, I just don't feel it where I need to. But I do appreciate the reminder to stretch outside our boundaries of comfort!  And criticism is always welcome for myself, though I don't want to hijack scalyfreak's thread anymore than I have done already.

Spend some time here. Thread hijacking is a Warrior hallmark.

Also, I am a massively outspoken proponent of the BB row. So I will always suggest people give it another go, after they've practiced form and such. If you ever want to braindump on it, let me know.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Defining said:

I don't want to hijack scalyfreak's thread anymore than I have done already.

What, my thread isn't good enough for you? :angry:

3 hours ago, Grumble said:

Spend some time here. Thread hijacking is a Warrior hallmark.

Indeed. :P

@Defining, good to see you! Enjoy exploring the various guilds!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2