• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

scalyfreak

Scalyfreak continues her studies of pyromancy

I'm fairly sure that there's a reason for why this song was suggested for me by YouTube today, but I'm a little scared of speculating about anything beyond that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since the sprained ankle insists on sabotaging any attempts I make at exercising (aside from body weight exercises that put no weight on either one of my feet), I am officially declaring my challenge finished for this time around. I will return for next challenge period, with new goals, and it's unlikely that they will be lift-focused, simply because I don't know when I will be able to go back to lifting. Time will tell, and other types of challenges will happen while time passes.

While I wait for time to pass, I spent far too much time on writing out the long and convoluted tale of Scalyfreak's vehicular woes, so I decided to hide it in a spoiler tag.

Spoiler

Last Friday, one week from today, I arrived at work in the morning as I always do when I am scheduled to work. I parked in one of the 2-3 spots I typically use, in the corner of the parking lot where I always park. I spent the day working, even through my lunch, so I never left the building at any point during that work day. Until the work day was over, when I walked out, walked towards my car, and spotted a large deep dent in the rear fender. It looks like it was hit by a fastball, or possibly a Bruce Lee two-inch punch. 

Aggravated and irritated that I would have to spend my Friday evening on car vandalism, I took pictures of the damage. That done, I searched for the apologetic note that any decent human being would write and leave on the car they backed into, especially if they car they back into belongs to someone they work with. It only took a few seconds to determine that the person who backed into my car apparently is not a decent human being...

So I went back into the building, and headed into the lobby where Building Security hangs out at all hours, and told them someone hit my car while it was parked in the back lot. They asked me questions and I showed them the pictures I took, and after a brief conversation I was assured that an Incident Report would be filed, and that someone from Security would be in touch with me about their findings.

Meanwhile, I went home and called my insurance company to report what happened, sent them my pictures of the damage, and had a weekend.

On Monday, back at work, Building Security called me to let me know that they had clear footage of the accident, from multiple camera angles, and had identified the driver. Surveillance cameras are good like that. Security has left voicemails and asked him to call them with details and me with insurance information. This eventually, finally happened, on Tuesday evening. And because the email was sent after hours on Tuesday I found it Wednesday morning... so that is over four days since the accident actually happened. 

I gave Weasel's insurance information to my insurance company, who told me that the best way to ensure I don't have to pay a penny for something someone else did to my car, is to file a clam with Weasel's insurance company and have them pay for everything. So they set that up for me, and I called Weasel's insurance company on Thursday morning. I discover that he actually did call them Tuesday after send the email, and they have been trying to reach him to take a formal statement. If they can't get hold of him, they want to know how to get hold of my company's Building Security, and possibly see a copy of the Incident Report. 

All of this takes us to the afternoon of Thursday after the accident happened. At this point I email the security person who has been working with me on this and ask for the best way to reach him, in case Weasel's insurance company can't get Weasel to call them back, and they need to see the report. Security person emails me back with contact info and a summary of how the process will work if it comes to that. And then he ends the email by telling me (and I paraphrase) that since Weasel took so long to call them back about the accident, and essentially pulled a hit-and-run in the parking lot, he has given the case to the Employee Relations group for our branch.

This is a fairly accurate illustration of my reaction on learning that while trying to weasel out of paying for damage he did to my car, Weasel accidentally turned a simple stupid mistake into an HR complaint against himself:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just to clarify above... I'm laughing out of satisfaction of the small bit cosmic justice served in you vehicular woes story... Not your busted ankle. I'd only do that if you hurt it in a really, really funny way.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I will return for next challenge period, with new goals, and it's unlikely that they will be lift-focused, simply because I don't know when I will be able to go back to lifting. Time will tell, and other types of challenges will happen while time passes.

Alright! Non lifting goals can be excellent, also. Sorry about the car stress. Even if everything is sorted to your satisfaction, that's a lot of time and effort you could have used for something else! I hope the rest goes smoothly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Just to clarify above... I'm laughing out of satisfaction of the small bit cosmic justice served in you vehicular woes story... Not your busted ankle. I'd only do that if you hurt it in a really, really funny way.

I've been told it would have looked funny if I had not been screaming in pain. :P 

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Props to building security for having your back.

I am starting to really like them. And it was nice to discover that all of work's talk about how they think it's important that all employees feel safe in the workplace and how they want to make sure that if something happens you will get help and be taken care of, was more than just talk. :) 

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Alright! Non lifting goals can be excellent, also. Sorry about the car stress. Even if everything is sorted to your satisfaction, that's a lot of time and effort you could have used for something else! I hope the rest goes smoothly. 

I hope so too. There is a possibility that working with Weasel might become awkward from here on out, but that's really his own fault at this point.

I've decided to try and see the ankle as a good reason to make non-lifting goals and focus on getting none-lifting parts of my life to a place that is less stressful for me. Clutter feeds the anxiety and mental clutter does that a lot more than actual, physical, clutter. I will make efforts to declutter in preparation for the upcoming boss battle.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I've been told it would have looked funny if I had not been screaming in pain. :P 

Screaming in pain = not funny

Screaming in over-the-top pain induced obscenities = usually super funny

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

Screaming in pain = not funny

Screaming in over-the-top pain induced obscenities = usually super funny

:D

So if I was screaming obscenities, but in genuine pain, is that funny or super funny?

26 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

:D

So if I was screaming obscenities, but in genuine pain, is that funny or super funny?

If you can utter words at all, even obscenities, you're gonna be fine and if you have a sense of humor you'll laugh about your pain later. So it's funny.

If you're really hurt in a not funny/serious way you're either unconscious or semi-conscious and either quiet or babbling gibberish -- so not funny.

Then there's making primal animal noises. There you have to go by pitch, duration, and complexity of the noise. Higher pitches, longer durations, and complexity (as in multiple syllables). Short, low pitch, simple sounds like barks and grunts tend to indicate real pain. Seek medical support immediately.

This applies only to immediate traumatic injuries. Chronic pain is a different story. Chronic pain is usually not funny. Mostly it depends what part of the body it affects.

• Haha 1

And thus endeth a decade of pop culture dominance. Whatever will HBO do now, to survive and entice us to pay their outrageous monthly fees?

Game of Thrones Series Finale Spoilers:

Spoiler

The King's Council at the end so totally works for me.

Arya Stark is the best Stark forever. Sorry, Sansa.

Ever since they ran out of books the writing in this show has gone steadily downhill. This episode was the exception that proved that rule.

Words cannot express how happy I am that Ghost survived everything and was renunited with Jon at the end.

Did anyone other than Tyrion ever credit the dragons with the level of intelligence and understanding of the events and world around them, that Drogon demonstrated when he destroyed the Iron Throne?

This ending made me happy. This ending was worthy of the decade that led up to it.

SO glad that building security was as good at having your back as they were, although still annoyed on your behalf that you had to find that out via actual damage to your car!

And bummer on the ankle, hope it heals soon and you continue to enjoy progress on non-lifting goals in the meantime.

14 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Hide contents

Arya Stark is the best Stark forever. Sorry, Sansa.

Ever since they ran out of books the writing in this show has gone steadily downhill. This episode was the exception that proved that rule.

Words cannot express how happy I am that Ghost survived everything and was renunited with Jon at the end.

Did anyone other than Tyrion ever credit the dragons with the level of intelligence and understanding of the events and world around them, that Drogon demonstrated when he destroyed the Iron Throne?

Arya: YES!

Books: I concur, I feel like they took the ending and plot points that GRRM gave them and really did not do credit to the first 5 seasons or the books. The writing and getting from point A to point B deteriorated drastically, as did the consistency of the characters. 

Ghost: YES YES YES! I was PISSED when the others got killed off. I cried so hard the first time I read the books and Lady died. 

Tyrion: For most of his life, did anyone ever credit Tyrion with the level of intelligence that he actually demonstrated? I'm unsurprised that he was the one to really respect a slightly scary and very unique creature of totally unknown ability.