• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost: Deep Thoughts

12 hours ago, Infinity.Creates said:

How many languages are you sort of interested in learning?

At this point the only other language I am even partially serious about learning is Spanish.  I have interest in learning Arabic and Sign but those are so low on my priority list that I don't realistically think it will ever happen.  I will play around with learning the Arabic alphabet just because I like being able to sound out words even if I don't know what they mean.  I don't think I will ever go beyond that (but hey, who knows).

In the past I have spent extensive time studying other languages although right now I only consider myself fluent in English, Mandarin and Japanese.  At one point I was certified to translate Russian and Korean (through the military), but both have receded far into the recesses of my brain.  I spent 5 years learning French in Jr High/High School but that is even further gone :D  I have some working knowledge of Spanish from growing up in a part of the US that has a lot of Spanish speakers, and also was the only non-native Spanish speaker on the construction crew I worked with while I was at uni.  When I was living in Japan I picked up Japanese Sign and volunteered as a translator, and then took a few ASL classes at uni.  Other than that just a smattering of simple greetings and phrases from a bunch of other languages just from living in an international environment for the last 20 years.  So basically I think I have enough experience on the language side and should probably focus on other things now :D 

Image result for Jack Handey

Doodling - I didn't doodle anything yesterday.  I was going to do it after Ghostlet went to bed but by then I was too tiered and had other things to do so I skipped it.

Exercising - I went to the park yesterday and played around on the high bar for a bit.  It didn't feel too strenuous at the time, but I woke up with some serious DOMS in my lower traps this morning.

Eating - Yesterday was a good food day.  I made myself some salmon pasta (substituting salmon for the shrimp in that recipe) for lunch and then some meatloaf for dinner.  Both were very tasty :) 

Spoiler

ovHxMmb.jpg

hIcaPwS.jpg

Playing - No playing, unless I count playing soccer in the yard after school with Ghostlet and a bunch of neighbor kids.  It was fun, but I had to stop because there were so many kids running around that every time I moved I knocked one of them down.  

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

It was fun, but I had to stop because there were so many kids running around that every time I moved I knocked one of them down.  

The mental image this gave me was just hilarious

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2019 at 12:40 AM, WhiteGhost said:

The wait is over :)   The thing I did is:

Animated GIF

My problem with these is that I was afraid my grip would give out while I was upside down, so I didn't dare go all in on the rotation.  For this one I put on my protective straps and gave it a whirl.  Apparently a little confidence was all I needed :) 

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 6:40 AM, WhiteGhost said:

The wait is over :)   The thing I did is:

Animated GIF

My problem with these is that I was afraid my grip would give out while I was upside down, so I didn't dare go all in on the rotation.  For this one I put on my protective straps and gave it a whirl.  Apparently a little confidence was all I needed :) 

Dang! New shiny :D

The script thing is funny. Persian is written with an extended version of the Arabic alphabet - although it's an Indo-European language. It just has extra letters with dots or ligatures :D eg گ پ چ ژ... - on the other hand there are letters that are pronounced the same in Persian but written differently because of the Arabic origin of the word... spelling can be tough. It helps to know Arabic, like it helps to know Latin in French, let's say. It was not very complicated to learn the script overall but I find that my reading is still much slower in comparison to a Latin script or even Greek - I can read Greek without understanding most it basically. It's harder to read fluently the Arabic script without some actual language fluency (vocabulary large enough to recognize words without the short vowels indeed or having fully internalized common patterns).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That new thing is pretty cool. I’m always impressed with your videos, pretty much all of them would end up with a concussion if I tried them.

Big same.

Awesome trampoline gifs too, your flexibility and mobility is awesome!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, deftona said:

The mental image this gave me was just hilarious

It actually was pretty funny, but for some reason those kids parents didn't think so (even if the kids themselves did)

17 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Thanks! Still no progress on Swing Flips though.  One for each of us :) 

16 hours ago, @mu said:

Dang! New shiny :D

The script thing is funny. Persian is written with an extended version of the Arabic alphabet - although it's an Indo-European language. It just has extra letters with dots or ligatures :D eg گ پ چ ژ... - on the other hand there are letters that are pronounced the same in Persian but written differently because of the Arabic origin of the word... spelling can be tough. It helps to know Arabic, like it helps to know Latin in French, let's say. It was not very complicated to learn the script overall but I find that my reading is still much slower in comparison to a Latin script or even Greek - I can read Greek without understanding most it basically. It's harder to read fluently the Arabic script without some actual language fluency (vocabulary large enough to recognize words without the short vowels indeed or having fully internalized common patterns).

Persian sounds super confusing :D   Reading any language will always be easier if you know the vocabulary because in most cases you don't actually read every letter but your eyes will recognize a group of letters and fill in the rest for you, as long as the key letters in in place.  Tahts wyh ntavie spekares acn stlil rade tihs.  When I was learning Russian, I would write English text using the Cyrillic alphabet.  It helped to get familiar with the letter without having to have a very strong vocabulary, with a side benefit of helping me improve my pronunciation and accent by reading it back to myself.

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That new thing is pretty cool. I’m always impressed with your videos, pretty much all of them would end up with a concussion if I tried them.

Thanks, I really appreciate that.  To be fair to you though, if I tried them without having built up to them I would probably end up with multiple concussions as well.  Nobody starts out being able to do things.

14 hours ago, shaar said:

Big same.

Awesome trampoline gifs too, your flexibility and mobility is awesome!!

Thank you!  I was really surprised by your comment on flexibility because in my mind I am the least flexible person on the planet.  Always nice to get positive reinforcement to challenge those negative assumptions we have about ourselves :) 

13 hours ago, Infinity.Creates said:

I don't understand meatloaf ;D

What is there to not understand?  It's basically a loaf of bread made out of meat instead of flour.  Much tastier but maybe (MAYBE!) not as good for sandwiches :D 

12 hours ago, raptron said:

Ahhh, yay for skill gifs! Grats on your baby knee giants. :D 

Thanks!  I really didn't expect I would get them this quickly

Yesterday went quite well.  

Doodling - I did another eye doodle yesterday, but the source photo was not very good, so I struggled with it a bit.  I still did it, though :)

Exercising - Went to the park yesterday with the intention of doing a leg workout.  When I got there and saw the fun things everyone else was doing, I changed my plan and just did high bar stuff.  I worked on all of my high bar skills and the only one I didn't do was Front Giants.  The ones I did get were back giants, back uprises, kips, glides, taps, back hip circles, cheat front hips circles (hands behind knees), front mill circles, back mill circles, baby knee giants, and front balances

Eating - For lunch yesterday I made myself an egg salad sandwich.  Before my mom died, I asked her for her egg salad recipe and this was the first time for me to try it.  One bite and I was 6 years old again on a family road trip in our light green Ford Gran Torino station wagon

Spoiler

Looked just like this one

Image result for green Gran torino station wagon

To make it, I needed a scallion so I went down to the vegetable stand to get one.  Apparently everyone thought it was super funny to buy just one scallion because not only did the lady at the stand laugh, but I also got 3-4 comments from random strangers on the way back asking about my single scallion.

Playing - No playing yesterday

• Like 6

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

To make it, I needed a scallion so I went down to the vegetable stand to get one.  Apparently everyone thought it was super funny to buy just one scallion because not only did the lady at the stand laugh, but I also got 3-4 comments from random strangers on the way back asking about my single scallion.

How rude, you should never judge a person by their scallion needs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

New plan, to keep people from commenting on your weight/size, carry around a single scallion at all times.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, deftona said:

How rude, you should never judge a person by their scallion needs. 

IKR?  I bet they didn't even know what I was making and were all judgy anyway!

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

New plan, to keep people from commenting on your weight/size, carry around a single scallion at all times.

I wish that would work, but I suspect I would probably get comments about both :( 

11 hours ago, Arkania said:

giphy.gif

Image result for oh hi gif

Good day again yesterday

Doodling - Ghostet and I had did some doodling together, both of us trying to sketch the same picture of an eye.  He is better than me at drawing landscapes, but I do better with faces.

Exercising - Went to the ark and got my leg workout in.  It has been a couple of weeks since I did that, so it was pretty tough and now my legs are very sore.  I also played around on the high bar for a bit, making sure I got in a few baby knee giants to try and get that locked down.

Eating - 2 homecooked meals yesterday but both were leftovers from earlier in the week.  I had an egg salad sandwich for lunch and then some more spaghetti for dinner.  

Playing - No playing yesterday

• Like 7

Following! Hoping to learn from your deep thoughts :D

By the way, this:

On 4/19/2019 at 7:42 AM, WhiteGhost said:

When I was learning Russian, I would write English text using the Cyrillic alphabet.  It helped to get familiar with the letter without having to have a very strong vocabulary

clever.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zenLara said:

Following! Hoping to learn from your deep thoughts :D

Hi!  Some of these thoughts are as deep as thoughts can go :D 

The weekend has been pretty good.  Spent most of the day yesterday and all of this morning at Church for a special Easter service which was really nice.  This afternoon the whole family (Ghostlet, Ghostess and her parents) went to the park by our house for a walk to look at the Peony section they have there.  I learned today that Peonies are the national flower of China.  Below are some peony pics that Ghostlet took.

6H1nMv9.jpgdrxuBU8.jpgs1Nn3b9.jpgIBsnbtv.jpg

After the park, Ghostlet and I went over to the Karting track and did a few races.  There were not many people there so they let Ghostlet do a race with me in the adult Karts.  He did very well :) 

Week zero has now come to a close so time to check in and see how things went:

D. Doodling 5x - I actually went over my goal this week doing 6 doodles of eyes, but I can't say that I think they are all that great.  I was pretty happy with some and pretty disappointed with others, but that's ok.  I mostly just want to get some practice. 

Spoiler

DL7LJpN.jpg

This week's focus was eyes (as you can see) and I think next week I am going to try mouths.

E. Exercising 4x - Right on target here.  I went to the park 4 times and even though I didn't get in my regular workouts, I did get some fun mobility stuff in, which totally counts.

E. Eating 5x - Way over my target here.  I had meatloaf, egg salad, spaghetti & meatballs, and salmon tagliatelle twice each, and then had short ribs yesterday and then shrimp & eggs and chicken & peppers today, bringing the total to 10 home made meals this week.

PPlaying 1x - Right on target with this one.  I am going to try and keep the Trampoline Tuesday thing going.

Plenty of momentum going into week 1 :) 

• Like 11

Love the eyes, the 2 bottom ones in particular.

On 4/19/2019 at 7:42 AM, WhiteGhost said:

When I was learning Russian, I would write English text using the Cyrillic alphabet.  It helped to get familiar with the letter without having to have a very strong vocabulary, with a side benefit of helping me improve my pronunciation and accent by reading it back to myself.

Did you pronounce English words the Russian way then? That's not so easy. It took me a wee while to pick up an okay Persian accent for English words (maybe because my English already sounds quite French :D )

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Way over my target here.  I had meatloaf, egg salad, spaghetti & meatballs, and salmon tagliatelle twice each, and then had short ribs yesterday and then shrimp & eggs and chicken & peppers today, bringing the total to 10 home made meals this week.

I get that. Eating on the holidays always gets a little wacky!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @mu said:

Did you pronounce English words the Russian way then? That's not so easy. It took me a wee while to pick up an okay Persian accent for English words (maybe because my English already sounds quite French :D )

Yes, that was the whole point of it.  Some letters or sounds don't have direct equivalents in Cyrillic so I would have to come up with something sort of close.  Then reading that back, created a pretty darn good facsimile of a proper accent, because it was only using sounds and letters that a Russian speaker would naturally use.

48 minutes ago, NicTheRugger said:

I get that. Eating on the holidays always gets a little wacky!

haha, going over my target was a totally good thing.  I am trying to hit a minimum number of 5 home cooked meals and I blew through that at with 10 :)

24 minutes ago, raptron said:

I love Trampoline Tuesday!

ME TOO!!

Today went pretty well.  In addition to my challenge stuff I did a bunch of laundry and finally got a haircut.  I don't have any need to keep keep a clean cut these days, so I decided to grow out my hair to see how I look with long hair.  I have never had long hair in my life and after about 3 months of growing it out it was the longest it has ever been in my life.  After discussing with Ghostess, we both think I look terrible with long hair, so I went and got it all cut off :D 

Doodling - Tried to draw a mouth today but it was really hard.  I think I need to review some more tutorials tomorrow

Exercising - I went to the park and did a pull workout.  It has been a while since I did a full pull workout and it killed me.  But in a good way :) 

Eating - I had leftover meatloaf for lunch and then the leftovers from Sunday for dinner.  Dinner wasn't enough, though so I had some cashews but I still feel a little hungry.

Playing - Nothing scheduled

• Like 7

Trampoline Tuesday!!! 

We got a new set of shelves for our kitchen to replace the ones we have that don't really fit next to the heater which were delivered this morning.  However, once I got them assembled it was pretty clear that they were an even worse fit than the original ones.  After some creative rearranging, I doscovered that the shelves fit very nicely along a different wall so I moved them over there.  After discussing with Ghostess tonight, I will just use my jigsaw to cut out a piece of the current shelves so that they will fit around the heater.  That took up pretty much my whole morning.

In the afternoon I went to the trampoline park to work on my backflips and back handsprings.  I upped my game a little from last week - for the back handsprings I tried doing them from the floor to just a foam mat, but I feel like I am lacking a little bit in handstand push strength because I could barely keep my head from hitting the mat.  For backflips, I scooted a few inches closer to the edge of the springs which reduced the amount of bounce I could get.  It took some work, but I felt like I was doing as well or better than last week when I was jumping fro the middle of the springs.

For lunch I had leftover salmon tagliatelle and then for dinner I made a pork tenderloin and paired it with some coleslaw.  The pork was OK, but it was a bit bland.  It was nice and juicy, though.

YXMg37a.jpg

• Like 10

10 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

So what I'm learning from this thread is that Jack Handy is trying really hard to be a modern Mark Twain.

Hi! :D 

Only if by "modern" you mean early 90s and by "Mark Twain" you mean a group of SNL writers :D 

Pretty good day today

Doodling - I watched a tutorial for drawing mouths today and then drew a mouth trying to follow the instructions in the tutorial.  I did much better than on Monday, but still a far cry from the tutorial version.  Ghostlet has decided he wants to join me in drawing but he is not interested in drawing people.  His focus for this week is balls, and today was a golf ball and a football.

Exercising - Went to the park today for a push workout.  It was the first time to try a push workout since I hurt my shoulder and by was it tough.  I knew I was going to struggle on single arm stuff like one-arm pushups and archer pushups, but did not expect to struggle so much on the dips.  All in all it was a good workout, though and I am really feeling it.

Eating - I had leftover spaghetti & meatballs for lunch and then made a creole salmon steak with broccoli for dinner.  The salmon I pretty much stuck to the recipe and it was fantastic! 

jnNEOmq.jpg

The broccoli I chopped up and threw in the skillet after grilling the salmon and seasoned it with salt, pepper, garlic, and lemon.

Playing - nothing scheduled

Just now the police knocked on my door asking to see the passports for the two foreigners who are registered to this residence (Ghostlet and I).  This is only the second time this has ever happened, but I suspect it is because of the One Belt, One Road Conference that is taking place so they taking extra precautions.  IIRC, the last time was for APEC.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Just now the police knocked on my door asking to see the passports for the two foreigners who are registered to this residence (Ghostlet and I).

Woah, stuff like this would drive me crazy. And I always assumed Ghostlet was Chinese - or is it because he has dual citizenship?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, deftona said:

Woah, stuff like this would drive me crazy. And I always assumed Ghostlet was Chinese - or is it because he has dual citizenship?

Them coming over here doesn't bother me too much because I don't have to do anything.  The thing that bugs me is that every time I come back after traveling abroad I need to go back and re-register at the police station (with originals and photocopies of all of my documentation including proof of address), even though nothing has changed for them to update other than my date of entry into the country.

Nope, Ghostlet is American like me.  China doesn't allow dual citizenship and both Ghostess and I think US citizenship is more useful long term.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Only if by "modern" you mean early 90s and by "Mark Twain" you mean a group of SNL writers :D

If Mark Twain was alive today he'd probably write for either SNL or something like The Today Show.... :P

• Like 1