• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost: Deep Thoughts

4 hours ago, zenLara said:

Ouf, there is certainly a lot of work to be done. Spanish people used to be quite dirty about 20-30 years ago. Not that now we're as polite as other european countries, saying that would be a lie (when I moved back here from France it was like "omg, we're still awful"), but education in schools has played a big role. When I was young, children were taught some basics about being civil at school and then they would try to teach them to their parents. I remember many adults blushing when one of their kids would tell them "no, daddy, there's a trash can right there".

Still, I think the worst thing here is street peeing. Why oh why.

FWIW I spent two weeks in Spain in the summer of '01 (oh sweet, sweet pre-9/11 air travel). The first week was in a hostel in Vitoria, and the second week was at a Baptist Seminary in Alcobendas (suburb of Madrid). Neither place seemed rude or dirty to me. The streets were clean and the people were very friendly. There is no way I would ever rank French politeness over Spanish politeness. Then in 2017 we spent our honeymoon in Spain, a few days in Barcelona, train to Seville, then back to Barcelona before flying home. It felt as friendly to me as Texas, and again seemed very clean.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Huh, you people sure know a lot about flowers.  I think I would be hard pressed to correctly identify more than 1 varieties.

Not really. I know lupins because my parents have had them in their garden for as long as I can remember. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zenLara said:

Ouf, there is certainly a lot of work to be done. Spanish people used to be quite dirty about 20-30 years ago. Not that now we're as polite as other european countries, saying that would be a lie (when I moved back here from France it was like "omg, we're still awful"), but education in schools has played a big role. When I was young, children were taught some basics about being civil at school and then they would try to teach them to their parents. I remember many adults blushing when one of their kids would tell them "no, daddy, there's a trash can right there".

Still, I think the worst thing here is street peeing. Why oh why.

Haha. It's like they're blaming each other for raising the cholesterol levels of the population.

The dish looks nice and tasty, I might prepare it too.

I am pretty sure that things will improve everywhere, but it is slow.  

It is the only way I can stand to eat asparagus.  :D 

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

FWIW I spent two weeks in Spain in the summer of '01 (oh sweet, sweet pre-9/11 air travel). The first week was in a hostel in Vitoria, and the second week was at a Baptist Seminary in Alcobendas (suburb of Madrid). Neither place seemed rude or dirty to me. The streets were clean and the people were very friendly. There is no way I would ever rank French politeness over Spanish politeness. Then in 2017 we spent our honeymoon in Spain, a few days in Barcelona, train to Seville, then back to Barcelona before flying home. It felt as friendly to me as Texas, and again seemed very clean.

I have been to Spain a few times (we bought a company in Barcelona in 2012) and found everyone to be very pleasant and polite every time.  I wonder if we as short term visitors aren't there long enough to get past the honeymoon phase

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

Not really. I know lupins because my parents have had them in their garden for as long as I can remember. :)

Yeah, the only ones I can recognize are the ones my mom had in her garden  (also, I had meant to say 10 varieties... ;)

Image result for deep thoughts jack handey

Today went pretty well, or at least the afternoon did.  I wasted almost the entire morning playing stupid games on my phone :(   In the afternoon I went to the trampoline park and then got invited on a date with Ghostess so we went shopping and then for dinner.  I got a couple of Street Fighter T-shirts :) 

Doodling - Nothing.  I was going to do some in the morning but sucked into that game on my phone.

Exercise - No workout today

Eating - I finished off the last of my baked beans today, along with the last of the Doritos I bought for when I made burgers.  Dinner was fake paella again.  I discovered that the fake paella here is not flavored with saffron, which is considered to be an abortion inducing agent so it is pretty much never used in foods.  The primary seasoning for fake paella here is apparently ketchup... 

Playing - Trampoline Tuesday!!!  I spent almost all of the time there working on backflips and have made some good progress from the start of the challenge.  I am hoping that in another month or two I will be able to throw and land a back tuck from a solid surface. By the time I thought to get a progress video, my legs were already toast.  I did get a video of some of the wall walks I was working on, though.

giphy.gif

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

There is no way I would ever rank French politeness over Spanish politeness.

You have probably not spent enough time in none of these countries :D

16 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I wonder if we as short term visitors aren't there long enough to get past the honeymoon phase

Most surely :D

giphy.gif

This looks fun :) It's great that you have such a place near home.

• Like 1

Playing - Trampoline Tuesday!!!  I spent almost all of the time there working on backflips and have made some good progress from the start of the challenge.  I am hoping that in another month or two I will be able to throw and land a back tuck from a solid surface. By the time I thought to get a progress video, my legs were already toast.  I did get a video of some of the wall walks I was working on, though.

giphy.gif

OMG that's brilliant :D:D absolutely love it :lol:

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 5:30 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

First thing to come to mind. For fans of Smokey and the Bandit, that is indeed Snowman.

I remember watching Smokey & the Bandit as a kid, but my parents didn't think it was suitable viewing for us kids.  That song doesn't seem to have aged well...

On 5/8/2019 at 1:09 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Trampoline practice is my favorite thing to watch at circus class. The kids just seem to float up the walls.

I hope to get so that I can float up the walls like that someday :) 

On 5/8/2019 at 4:28 PM, zenLara said:

This looks fun :) It's great that you have such a place near home.

It is fun (but super tiring) :)  I am also very grateful to have a place like that so close to us.

On 5/8/2019 at 4:56 PM, @mu said:

OMG that's brilliant :D:D absolutely love it :lol:

On 5/8/2019 at 10:11 PM, NicTheRugger said:

So cool! 

Thanks guys!

Related image

I missed my update yesterday so double update today

Wednesday:

Doodling - Nothing

Exercising - Push day at the park.  My shoulder is still not back to 100% but I was able to get through all of my exercised this time, even though some of them I could only get 2-3 reps on.  My whole upper body is sore from my pull & push days this week.

Eating - I made a very delicious and super easy pork chop for lunch and paired it with some homemade applesauce and the leftover bacon asparagus from earlier.   I skipped the glaze from that recipe and just grilled it with the seasonings.  For dinner Ghostess made some YouPoMian (油泼面) which is a super tasty noodle dish from Xi'an.

IEUaC2A.jpg

bVIAzF2.jpg

Playing - Nothing scheduled

Thursday:

Doodling - Still nothing.  Not sure what is blocking me from doing this, but I am am struggling doing it.  

Exercising - I went to the park today to do some high bar stuff.  Originally I was planning to take videos of all of my high bar stuff to add to my GIF library but I forgot my phone.  It is probably just as well, because I seem like I am probably coming down with something and didn't have much energy anyway.

Eating - For lunch I made myself some yakisoba (Japanese fried noodles) and then for dinner was in the mood for what I call adventure meals.  I am rereading the Wheel of Time series together with Ghostlet (I am reading it in English and he is reading it in Chinese) and I felt like having something similar to what the characters in the books have for dinner as they are out rangering across their world.  Mine was a bock of cheese, a hunk of beef, some dried berries, a few nuts and a pickle.

N5DZqz8.jpg

OtQ9U5v.jpg

Just after lunchtime today, we got a call from the school that Ghostlet was running a fever and that we needed to pick him up. Luckily it doesn't seem to be very serious so I drove over to the hospital and got him some medicine.  Tomorrow we will keep him home from school so I will not be able to go to the park for Leg Day.  Given that I think I am getting sick myself, I should probably stay home anyway.

• Like 6

On 5/9/2019 at 8:04 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Eating - I made a very delicious and super easy pork chop for lunch and paired it with some homemade applesauce and the leftover bacon asparagus from earlier.   I skipped the glaze from that recipe and just grilled it with the seasonings.  For dinner Ghostess made some YouPoMian (油泼面) which is a super tasty noodle dish from Xi'an.

That pork chop looks freaking perfect.

Funny you mentioning youpomian, I was just looking at an English-language recipe for it (or at least something similar) while trying to find a noodle dish I could get excited about making. It looks delicious, though the handmade biang-biang mian in the recipe seem like... a lot.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 9:04 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Eating - I made a very delicious and super easy pork chop for lunch and paired it with some homemade applesauce and the leftover bacon asparagus from earlier.   I skipped the glaze from that recipe and just grilled it with the seasonings. 

This looks delicious. I am definitely making this in teh near future... I wonder if maple syrup works for glaze instead of brown sugar...?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaulG said:

That pork chop looks freaking perfect.

Funny you mentioning youpomian, I was just looking at an English-language recipe for it (or at least something similar) while trying to find a noodle dish I could get excited about making. It looks delicious, though the handmade biang-biang mian in the recipe seem like... a lot.

YouPoMian is probably one of my favorites.  You don't need to use BiangBiangMian to make it, though (If you noticed the picture I put above just had regular flour noodles).  We actually tested various kinds of noodles with this just to see, and wider noodles are going to be better than thinner ones, but honestly it doesn't really make that much of a difference (as long you aren't using egg noodles or udon or something).  When we make it we use less leek and then replace the difference with chives and moar garlic.  Also spinach for the green.

8 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

This looks delicious. I am definitely making this in teh near future... I wonder if maple syrup works for glaze instead of brown sugar...?

I don't know?  I would probably refer this to someone who knows a lot more about cooking, such as @Tanktimus the Encourager

On 5/10/2019 at 12:05 AM, raptron said:

Rest up and feel better soon! I love the food pics -- even your Wheel of Time travel meal. :D 

Thanks, we are both feeling much better :) 

Image result for deep thoughts jack handey

Yesterday was a rest day.  Ghostlet slept until about noon, but after that he was feeling much better.  I am also feeling better but I still didn't do a workout.  In fact, I didn't do much of anything except play a bunch of Minecraft with Ghostlet :D 

Doodling - Still avoiding doing this for some reason.  I suspect the difficulty with the noses from last week threw me off.  Or it cold be that I am just not excited about doing ears this week?  Whatever it is, I think I need to come up with a different thing to draw that is not to difficult but still interests me.

Exercising - Skipped it

Eating - I made a hamburger for lunch using a left over patty from last week.  I was planning to make some tacos for dinner but Ghostess came home from work early and made us some Teriyaki Chicken & rice instead.

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Still avoiding doing this for some reason.  I suspect the difficulty with the noses from last week threw me off.  Or it cold be that I am just not excited about doing ears this week?  Whatever it is, I think I need to come up with a different thing to draw that is not to difficult but still interests me.

Feet! feet are fun :D

Hope you two recover fully soon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I don't know?  I would probably refer this to someone who knows a lot more about cooking, such as @Tanktimus the Encourager

Maple can be used to glaze something, sure, you'd just end up with different flavor. If you prefer maple to brown sugar you should be all right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, @mu said:

Feet! feet are fun :D

Hope you two recover fully soon.

Hmm, hard to get excited about feet.  Hands on the other... uh, hand...  I could probably go for that.

22 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Maple can be used to glaze something, sure, you'd just end up with different flavor. If you prefer maple to brown sugar you should be all right.

That makes sense to me.

Image result for Deep Thoughts Jack Handey

Doodling - I finally did something.  I was trying to sketch Ghostlet's face but it turned out terribly.  I am actually pretty happy with how I was able to put together the things I was practicing but the overall result was less than stellar.  It is certainly better than I would have been able to do even a month ago, so definitely progress.  I guess that's what practice is for :) 

Cb2FwP9.jpg

Exercising - Nothing Today

Eating - I made myself some super basic tacos for lunch, and then had a ham & cheese on white for dinner.

XEibdwC.jpg

Playing - Nothing Scheduled

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Doodling - I finally did something.  I was trying to sketch Ghostlet's face but it turned out terribly.  I am actually pretty happy with how I was able to put together the things I was practicing but the overall result was less than stellar.  It is certainly better than I would have been able to do even a month ago, so definitely progress.  I guess that's what practice is for :) 

Cb2FwP9.jpg

Actually I think it's really good, the nose in particular, and it conveys a feeling/mood. Just the right eye maybe is a bit off.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

XEibdwC.jpg

This is kinda the cutest taco setup ever.

ALSO WHAT KINDA STREET FIGHTER TSHIRTS DID YOU GET LAST WEEK I know I'm behind but I am also V CURIOUS

• Like 1

23 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Cb2FwP9.jpg

It looks good to me. I specially like the ears and the lips, and the overall proportions of the right side (right side in the paper).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, @mu said:

Actually I think it's really good, the nose in particular, and it conveys a feeling/mood. Just the right eye maybe is a bit off.

Yeah, the right eye was a real problem.  The original one was much smaller and a completely different shape than the left eye, so I erased it and tried to redo it, which didn't really help anything.

22 minutes ago, shaar said:

This is kinda the cutest taco setup ever.

ALSO WHAT KINDA STREET FIGHTER TSHIRTS DID YOU GET LAST WEEK I know I'm behind but I am also V CURIOUS

We found that plate at a street vendor outside of Ikea :) 

I got these ones (they were at Uniqlo):

��/女� (UT) Street Fighter��T�(��) 417272  ���� ��购��/女� (UT) Street Fighter��T�(��) 419358  ���� ��购

4 minutes ago, zenLara said:

It looks good to me. I specially like the ears and the lips, and the overall proportions of the right side (right side in the paper).

I may be overly critical because I can see how different it is from the source material.  It was my first time to try ears and the right one at least turned out better than I expected.

Related image

Happy Mother's Day to all of you mothers (and possible future mothers)!!!   This morning I went to church by myself because Ghostlet had a cough like a foghorn this morning.  He stayed home and got some rest instead.  When I got back, he was feeling much better, but still had a slight cough.  Because it is Mother's Day, the three of us took Ghostess's parent out for lunch and a movie.  For some reason both of the moms involved in the excursion decided that what they really wanted was whatever Ghostlet felt like doing, so we went to Papa John's for some pizza and then watched Pikachu Detective at the theater.  In the evening we all came home and ordered dumplings for dinner.

Week 3 (I think it's week 3...) is now over so time for the weekly recap:

D. Doodling 5x - I only did one doodle for this week, so well below my target.  For some reason I just didn't feel like it, and after considering this I think it is because I feel like I am just not very good.  This isn't a fair assessment, because 1) I am just getting started and am actually doing quite well for how long I have been doing it and 2) I need to not compare my stuff against my brothers in law who are both professional artists.  It just isn't a realistic basis of comparison.  I think I need to tell Chad* to just shut up next week and doodle, even if the results are not as good as I would like

* Chad is the name I give to the negative voice in my head

E. Exercising 4x - I got in 3 workouts this week, but missed Leg day on Friday.  Looking forward to getting back at it tomorrow

E. Eating 5x - 8 homecooked meals this week, and even though 2 of them were cooked by Ghostess they still count.

P Playing 1x - Trampoline Tuesday, with focus on back flips and wall walks (and also a bunch of cheat gainer fulls into the foam pit because they are super fun but I am no where close to being able to actually land one) 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I am just getting started and am actually doing very well for how long I have been doing it

FTFY.

I hear you. It sucks when there are "real" artists in the family, but we're just trying to have fun and improve some skills. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2019 at 11:22 PM, zenLara said:

FTFY.

I hear you. It sucks when there are "real" artists in the family, but we're just trying to have fun and improve some skills. 

Luckily for me they others don't know I have taken up drawing yet, so I have a chance to improve before they find out :D  

19 hours ago, Norgaard said:
  • the drawing is good, def. show some good notes!

Thanks!

Related image

Today was pretty uneventful Workout in the morning and then went over to the hospital to stock up on meds for the next time Ghostlet gets sick in the afternoon. 

Doodling - Ghostlet and I were planning to draw together tonight, but we both got caught up in our reading that before we knew it, it was already bedtime.  

Exercising - Pull day at the ark this morning

Eating - I made up a dish out of some leftover stuff we had laying around: Chicken sauteed in Nacho seasoning with shredded Gouda over rice.  It was a very strange combination of flavors and actually worked better than I expected.  Not good enough to suggest anyone else ever try it though :P 
sjqMkuf.jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I had forgotten about Uncle caveman!

He had quite a few god ones

Related image

Today was a complete rest day.  Ghostess is trying out a clothes rental service and they were going to deliver a set of clothes today so she asked me to stay here and wait for it.  Last week they came in the morning but today they didn't get here until after 7pm, so I didn't leave the house for the whole day.  Did a bunch of housekeeping stuff, though.

Doodling - After Ghostlet got back from school we did a bit of drawing.  I tried doing another face but didn't finish before we moved on to something else.  Giving myself permission to not finish a drawing is the primary reason for calling this item doodling, but I still feel like I need to go back and finish it.  I may or may not, but I need to remind myself that I don't have to.

Exercising - Nothing today

Eating - Since I was home in the morning, I decided to try out the breakfast sausages I batch cooked over the weekend.  I tried doing them once in my first full challenge here and they were a disaster.  I was very pleased that this time they actually came out quite well.  A little heavy on the sage but other than that they were pretty good.

Uq1ElOk.jpg

For lunch I made a chicken pot pie with some fresh corn and peas that we needed to use up.  It was so good I had it again for dinner.

FoWEt6P.jpg

Playing - No trampolining happened today, but I may make up for it tomorrow.

• Like 4