• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost: Deep Thoughts

Image result for Deep Thoughts Jack Handey

Today was a very full day.  Workout in the park in the morning, and then to the trampoline park in the afternoon.  The evening was sent helping Ghostlet with his homework.

Doodling - Nothing today

Exercising - Push day at the park.  I got through all of my stuff, but I still have a bit of weakness in my shoulder.  It is much better than it was a month ago, though.  I am very grateful for the improvement.

As an aside, I usually do some stretching after I get back from the park, focusing primarily on side splits, forward folds and general shoulder mobility.  For more than a year my side splits have been at a plateau, with only very, very small improvements.  However, today as I got into my side splits I was very pleased to discover that could get an entire foot width more than I could before.  I have no idea if this was just a one off thing, but I think it is certainly a good sign.

Eating - I had some tacos for lunch but for dinner I just shared some of Ghostesses leftovers because I wasn't really hungry enough to have a full meal.  The tacos at lunch must have been more filling than they looked.

Playing - Trampoline Tuesday got pushed back to Wednesday this week.  I made some progress on my wall walks and was able to get one foot and a hand up to the top of the wall.  Back flips were also good, but again by the time I tried to get a video they were no longer quite so good.  I think that by the end of next challenge I should be able to do a full back flip without any trampoline assistance.  Last week for some reason I was really scared of front tucks so I spent quite a bit of time today doing front tucks (on the trampoline) until I felt comfortable with them again.  I also worked a on a few other fun new skills, including this one:

Animated GIF

• Like 4

So I'm super behind, but I thought the portrait was very cute! One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes bits end up a lot darker as we try to squish more details in, even when the bits are in fact the same colour as the rest of the face. Those bits look good on their own, but when part of the whole face they can end up a little odd or distracting. The ears are a little bit like that. But I really think it's a great job, and very good nose too! Very nice improvement.

Also I love the trampoline park gifs. Such flips! I wanna learn toooooo!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

So I'm super behind, but I thought the portrait was very cute! One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes bits end up a lot darker as we try to squish more details in, even when the bits are in fact the same colour as the rest of the face. Those bits look good on their own, but when part of the whole face they can end up a little odd or distracting. The ears are a little bit like that. But I really think it's a great job, and very good nose too! Very nice improvement.

Also I love the trampoline park gifs. Such flips! I wanna learn toooooo!

Yeah, I was expecting some serious flaws, but overall I was happy with how much better I could do this than before I started learning.

Haha, seems we both are doing stuff the other wants to learn :) 

Related image

Today was a pretty good day

Doodling - nothing yet, but I am planning to do some in a bit

Exercising - I went to the park this morning for mobility day.  I was feeling pretty good so I went and filmed all of the mobility stuff I do (+ some more just because) so I could update my bodyweight library.  The gymnastics stuff went pretty well, but I just couldn't get a front giant to save my life.  After that I stopped by a couple of places I had scouted earlier for parkour and did some parkour stuff (also for the library).  The only problem was when I was trying to do underbars and seriously misjudged how much room I needed to fit through.  I ended up banging my back pretty hard on the lower bar as I tried to slide through.  Luckily my pride was hurt more than anything else (of course there were people watching me do all this stuff).  When I got home, I stopped by a grassy area in the yard and did some more stuff until a guard came over and chased me away.  It turns out that they just replaced the grass and don't want anybody walking on it.  Luckily I got in most of what I wanted to do, missing out on only back rolls and fish flops.

I spent the afternoon converting everything into GIFs and uploading them.

Eating - Left over chicken pie for lunch and then I made some more pork chops for dinner

Playing - Nothing scheduled

• Like 3

Just here to tell Chad to shut up.

It is good to trigger the creative part of the brain & get some minor eye-hand coordination practice going on. 

Over the years I have discovered competition can be healthy. I used to hate it when kids compared me to them, whether it was with jealousy bc I was better or with smugness bc they were better. But it can be healthy! Without Chads anywhere near it. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Haha, seems we both are doing stuff the other wants to learn :) 

#assassinlife

Glad it was only your pride that got hurt. :P 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

The only problem was when I was trying to do underbars and seriously misjudged how much room I needed to fit through.  I ended up banging my back pretty hard on the lower bar as I tried to slide through.  Luckily my pride was hurt more than anything else (of course there were people watching me do all this stuff). 

Ouch!! :(

Do you have big bright bruises now as a souvenir?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Just here to tell Chad to shut up.

It is good to trigger the creative part of the brain & get some minor eye-hand coordination practice going on. 

Over the years I have discovered competition can be healthy. I used to hate it when kids compared me to them, whether it was with jealousy bc I was better or with smugness bc they were better. But it can be healthy! Without Chads anywhere near it. :)

Thanks, I did, in fact, tell Chad to leave off (which he did).  

22 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

#assassinlife

Glad it was only your pride that got hurt. :P 

I would rather nothing got hurt, but yeah :) 

21 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Ouch!! :(

Do you have big bright bruises now as a souvenir?

I sure do!  It was only red this morning but has now started to turn to a nice deep purple

Today went pretty well.  I went to the park this morning and then had a parent teacher conference in the afternoon.  It was a little strange walking into the school, because instead of hearing everyone around me whisper "Look, there's a foreigner" everyone was whispering "Look, there's Ghostlet's dad"

Doodling - I did some more work on my earlier drawing last night as I planned and will likely do some more tonight.

Exercising - Leg day today, which I always enjoy.  I finally got to try the advice I got from @PaulG... was that already 2 weeks ago?!  Anyway, I was surprised to find that without using the brick for support and not going down quite so far, I could actually get a standalone pistol :)  In fact, one or two of them may have been almost as ow as I was getting with the brick.  The biggest difficulty I faced was surprising not strength or flexibility but balance.  I am quite excited about where I can go from here with these :) :) :) 

While I was there, a few guys asked me to hep them with their taps* and while I was doing that they really clicked and I think I finally really understood them.  Putting into practice what I figured out today I may be able to get those elusive front giants

* These things 

Animated GIF

Eating - No home-cooked food today.  I skipped lunch and then had an entire pizza for dinner

Playing - Nothing Scheduled

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I would rather nothing got hurt, but yeah :) 

I dunno, I think a little bump to the ego can be good for people sometimes. ;) 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 4:59 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Animated GIF

Dude you are fearless! awesome :)

Where are you now with WoT? First time I read those I was 15 or 16 and soooo into them I wouldn't even stop reading them while walking to school. And then I'd skip the class to read some more, hehehe. And I used to be a real Nyneave fan.. on my many rereads I wasn't quite as enamoured with her though x) Still, the Nyneave x Lan love story is a good one. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 10:58 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I dunno, I think a little bump to the ego can be good for people sometimes. ;) 

Sure, for other people :P 

20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Dude you are fearless! awesome :)

Where are you now with WoT? First time I read those I was 15 or 16 and soooo into them I wouldn't even stop reading them while walking to school. And then I'd skip the class to read some more, hehehe. And I used to be a real Nyneave fan.. on my many rereads I wasn't quite as enamoured with her though x) Still, the Nyneave x Lan love story is a good one. 

Having the mat and the trampoline there takes some of the fear out of it ;) 

We are just starting book 6 (Lord of Chaos).  I first started reading them when there were only 3 books out, and then had to go back and reread the earlier ones every time a new one came out.  By the time book 6 came out I had given up on it and decided to come back after it was finished.  I never got back around to it again until a few months ago, which is when I finally came back and finished it.  My favorite character is by far Mat.  Unfortunately, Ghostlet is a slower reader than me (or more accurately has less time to spend reading than me) and he doesn't want me to get ahead of him for some reason, so I keep having to stop and wait whenever I catch up.  Right now I am reading some more Discworld books while I wait.

Image result for Deep Thoughts Jack Handey

Lazy Saturday today. 

Doodling - Nothing again today.  

Exercising - Rest day today

EatingIn the morning I made some biscuits and scrambled eggs to go with sausage I made earlier.  Still not that great, but a fair bit better than my last attempt (which was during my very first challenge).  I was looking for the biscuit recipe I used that time but could not find it.  Apparently I said in my challenge then that I got it from @Evicious but could not find it in any threads form that challenge.  Instead I went with this one which was fine, but not as good as I remember that one being.  In the evening I had some pork that I needed to use up so I made some garlic parmesan pork chops which turned out really good for how simple they were.  Ghostlet ate 3, which is really unusual for my cooking.

Playing - Nothing Scheduled

• Like 4

image.jpeg.81f9f3b327cc06e64f852cbe3f703ba9.jpeg

OK, end of challenge review:

D. Doodle - I have dabbled my feet into the world of drawing and have collected enough underpants to kind of know what I should be doing.  What I need now is practice.  I have struggled in previous challenges because I was trying to come up with a complete picture each time I sat down to draw instead of just doodling.  Unfortunately, my brain gets worried that I may not have time to finish it, so I never even get started.  By changing it up and only doing some simple doodles, I am hoping that I will be able to break the mental block and actually get some practice in.

Measurement Metric: Do some kind of doodling 5x per week

I started out really well with this, but it kind of dropped off a bit for the last coupe of weeks.  Thinking about why, I think it was because I was feeling a bit of pressure to both 1) draw something that was more or less complete and 2) something that I could show here.  I think next time I should keep the challenge, but not post my sketches, and don't either don't worry about finishing them or don't worry if I want to stop for a while and come back to a sketch later.  There are no clients or deadlines so just keep it at my own pace

Overall grade - Needs Improvement

E. Exercise - My shoulder is still off, but I think I can start getting back into the swing of things (but gently).  For the first week I will stick to just light exercise and will go from there, but I am hoping that I will be able to get back up to full speed before too long.  I still have a lot of things to add to my video library

Measurement Metric: Workout (of some kind) 4x per week

This one isn't really a challenge for me at this point, but I always include it because I feel like I should be reporting fitness stuff here because that is like literally half the title of this place.  I enjoy my workouts and I am generally happy with them, but maybe I could think about making them challenging in some way.  This is a challenge, after all

Overall Grade - Satisfactory

E. Eat - I have not been eating very healthy lately, mostly because I have kind of stopped caring about it.  I got to a place where I am generally ok my body composition even though it is far from "ideal" (yay for a healthy body image) but I still think it is important to eat healthy foods in the right amount.  I am not doing it to lose weight or reduce fat.  I am doing it because my body deserves proper fuel.  Also because I enjoy cooking :) 

Measurement Metric: Homemade meals 5x per week

This one was something I was not sure I would make it or not, but it turns out that I set the bar for myself way too low.  However, I discovered over the course of the challenge that I feel a lot better when I am eating a lot of home cooked food, and I feel more "in shape" (whatever that even means).  I'm not sure if cooking still needs to be a challenge item, but I think it probably doesn't hurt to have the accountability even if it isn't particularly challenging.  Something to think about as I prepare for the next challenge

Overall Grade - Exceeds Expectations

P. Play - I have finally signed up at the trampoline park and I have tons of free time.  I need to take advantage of that and go play.  In particular I want to be working towards back flips and back handsprings

Measurement Metric: Go to the park 1x per week

This one also worked out as well or better than I had hoped.  I feel like I made the progress I was hoping for, and am excited to keep up the trampoline skills

Overall Grade - Exceeds Expectations

Overall score for the challenge:  Outstanding :) 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I think next time I should keep the challenge, but not post my sketches, and don't either don't worry about finishing them or don't worry if I want to stop for a while and come back to a sketch later.  There are no clients or deadlines so just keep it at my own pace

Sometimes accountability is double-edged. On one side posting your drawings makes you remember you have to work on your goal and keeps you committed. On the other side, it can end adding a lot of pressure. Maybe you can find some balance, and post only once or twice in a challenge, or only something you're specially proud of. It doesn't need to be a finished work either, this is not deviantart or anything of the sort :)

44 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I enjoy my workouts and I am generally happy with them, but maybe I could think about making them challenging in some way.  This is a challenge, after all

Well, maybe you weren't ready to challenge yourself with this, given that your shoulder wasn't ok. Maybe when you feel you're fully comfortable with it?

Since you signed up for the trampoline park it could be something acrobatics related.

I hope you keep having some sort of food challenge. I like looking at your dishes :)

Nice challenge!

• Like 1

Great challenge really! Even the doodling was helpful, educational. 

On 5/18/2019 at 5:30 PM, WhiteGhost said:

My favorite character is by far Mat.

Ofcourse he is! :)

I did the same re-reading each time a new book came out, but I started somewhere around 7-8. 

14 hours ago, zenLara said:

Sometimes accountability is double-edged. On one side posting your drawings makes you remember you have to work on your goal and keeps you committed. On the other side, it can end adding a lot of pressure. Maybe you can find some balance, and post only once or twice in a challenge, or only something you're specially proud of. It doesn't need to be a finished work either, this is not deviantart or anything of the sort :)

Well, maybe you weren't ready to challenge yourself with this, given that your shoulder wasn't ok. Maybe when you feel you're fully comfortable with it?

Since you signed up for the trampoline park it could be something acrobatics related.

I hope you keep having some sort of food challenge. I like looking at your dishes :)

Nice challenge!

I will see if I can find some balance by just doing whatever I feel like, but then reporting back that I have or have not done anything.  If I feel like posting something I can, but for now it is just trying to build up a habit and get in some practice

My problem hasn't been so much that I have been going to easy as much as it has just been unfocused.  Try to chase all of the shinies and you end up with a handful of nothing.  I think I want to try something a little more focused for a bit and see how that goes

Food is a key part of the new challenge :) 

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Great challenge really! Even the doodling was helpful, educational. 

Ofcourse he is! :)

I did the same re-reading each time a new book came out, but I started somewhere around 7-8. 

Thanks!  I am actually quite excited to read the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson, but am afraid I am going to get stuck in the same cycle, so I am holding off for now.

New challenge is up:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zenLara said:

+1

15 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This one isn't really a challenge for me at this point, but I always include it because I feel like I should be reporting fitness stuff here because that is like literally half the title of this place.  I enjoy my workouts and I am generally happy with them, but maybe I could think about making them challenging in some way.  This is a challenge, after all

I'm also pondering on how to get that one right. Because doing it is no longer a challenge. Even despite the big move, I maintained the habit. But I think the accountability is always a nice extra incentive. On the other hand, I'd like to try to report a bit less here and see how it goes. And perhaps focus on little bits, like training in the morning, work my pancake a bit more for a challenge, that sort of thing. I guess it's also about choosing a battle log vs a challenge. I think my practice is more of a battle log these days. But I like the challenge format much better, it feels more agile / adaptable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @mu said:

I'm also pondering on how to get that one right. Because doing it is no longer a challenge. Even despite the big move, I maintained the habit. But I think the accountability is always a nice extra incentive. On the other hand, I'd like to try to report a bit less here and see how it goes. And perhaps focus on little bits, like training in the morning, work my pancake a bit more for a challenge, that sort of thing. I guess it's also about choosing a battle log vs a challenge. I think my practice is more of a battle log these days. But I like the challenge format much better, it feels more agile / adaptable.

I have come up with a plan to try focusing on targeted improvements to make it more of a challenge.  If I end up not liking it, I can always come back to what I was doing before, or try some other approach

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I am actually quite excited to read the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson, but am afraid I am going to get stuck in the same cycle, so I am holding off for now.

I feel like it's less of an issue with SA because while the world building is just as complex, it's more.. ehm.. not quite as much name dropping perhaps. Having said that, I did reread twice already. 

• Like 2

On 5/20/2019 at 1:08 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Thanks!  I am actually quite excited to read the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson, but am afraid I am going to get stuck in the same cycle, so I am holding off for now.

The Stormlight Archives are AMAZING so you will 100% get sucked into the same cycle. :D But it will also be totally worth it.

On 5/18/2019 at 11:30 AM, WhiteGhost said:

We are just starting book 6 (Lord of Chaos).  I first started reading them when there were only 3 books out, and then had to go back and reread the earlier ones every time a new one came out.  By the time book 6 came out I had given up on it and decided to come back after it was finished.  I never got back around to it again until a few months ago, which is when I finally came back and finished it.  My favorite character is by far Mat.  Unfortunately, Ghostlet is a slower reader than me (or more accurately has less time to spend reading than me) and he doesn't want me to get ahead of him for some reason, so I keep having to stop and wait whenever I catch up.  Right now I am reading some more Discworld books while I wait.

Matt is so good! I'm really nervous about the WoT TV show they're making - there's a pattern of a lot of really bad tv shows based on really good fantasy books. But maybe GoT will inspire them to do it justice??

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 10:22 PM, KB Girl said:

I feel like it's less of an issue with SA because while the world building is just as complex, it's more.. ehm.. not quite as much name dropping perhaps. Having said that, I did reread twice already. 

3 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

The Stormlight Archives are AMAZING so you will 100% get sucked into the same cycle. :D But it will also be totally worth it.

I know, I have heard soooo much good things about the series, but I really hate finishing a book and then having to wait for the next episode (Looking at YOU, George RR Martin!)

3 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Matt is so good! I'm really nervous about the WoT TV show they're making - there's a pattern of a lot of really bad tv shows based on really good fantasy books. But maybe GoT will inspire them to do it justice??

I was really optimistic that that GoT would really lead the way for a great WoT series, but after the last two episodes, I am wondering how even GoT managed to ruin GoT :( 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

(Looking at YOU, George RR Martin!)

He's just evil. 

Brandon Sanderson is very good to his fans and keeps a regular schedule and gives updates on his progress etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

He's just evil. 

Brandon Sanderson is very good to his fans and keeps a regular schedule and gives updates on his progress etc. 

To be fair, GRRM also has updates but recently they have all been "Uh, I am really struggling with his right now".  I can understand the struggle with trying to produce art on demand,  but I would still like to see it get finished eventually

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

To be fair, GRRM also has updates but recently they have all been "Uh, I am really struggling with his right now".  I can understand the struggle with trying to produce art on demand,  but I would still like to see it get finished eventually

And the higher the demand, the greater the struggle... it's a vicious cycle.

Meanwhile, he's been working with FROM Software on a game they're set to introduce at this year's E3. I admit to being intrigued.

On 5/21/2019 at 12:29 PM, WhiteGhost said:

but after the last two episodes, I am wondering how even GoT managed to ruin GoT :(

Right now, I wouldn't trust the writers of GoT to write me out of a paper bag if I got stuck in one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NicTheRugger said:

Right now, I wouldn't trust the writers of GoT to write me out of a paper bag if I got stuck in one. 

To be fair, one of the writers of GoT is very good at what he does. The really big problems started when they ran out of the books he has written, and HBO had to put their own writers on the job - and I think we can all agree that the show's screenplay writers desperately need good source material to work from.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

They were doing pretty good for a while

18 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

To be fair, one of the writers of GoT is very good at what he does. The really big problems started when they ran out of the books he has written, and HBO had to put their own writers on the job - and I think we can all agree that the show's screenplay writers desperately need good source material to work from.

There is a really good article here that discusses why the last season was so unpopular.  Essentially the story as written by GRRM had complex interpersonal relationships where people were driven by more than superficial concerns and dealt with realistic problems (feeding peasants, paying soldiers, etc.), while the part after the books was basic hollywood trope