• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chris Tarly

Brogo: beats for brainz

I know some people have had success doing gradually earlier wake-up times to get adjusted to early morning activity, if that's something you really want to pursue!

I have never done it because lol, I don't do anything in the morning.

1 hour ago, raptron said:

I know some people have had success doing gradually earlier wake-up times to get adjusted to early morning activity, if that's something you really want to pursue!

I have never done it because lol, I don't do anything in the morning.

^^^I've had some success with the above - but I also have to be pretty diligent about bedtime in the evenings to make early mornings work. Otherwise, I power through for a couple days feeling great (although really probably struggling from the sleep deprivation) and then the wheels fall off. But if the early mornings are REALLY not working, maybe there are other ways to accomplish the goal of starting work earlier, like streamlining what you do before work in the morning?

How was my day you ask?

35d3jp3.gif

'cept I'm not blond.

It turns out that the company doesn't think it can train me to take over on the Swiss machine. :( The guy, and there's only one, who runs it and leads that area of the shop doesn't think he can train me up to speed in the next year before he retires. So they're going to hire externally. That sucks because I like working over there and it's a good niche to get into. The silver lining is that my other supervisor put me on a job that he doesn't trust anyone with because it's pretty complicated. So I'm still moving up, but not as fast as I thought I might.

I'm coming up on a year there in mid-May. It's time to start thinking about if I should stay or go...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Curl Brogo said:

I'm coming up on a year there in mid-May. It's time to start thinking about if I should stay or go...

That depends on what your alternatives are. Best career advice I've ever been given was to only move from your current position if you are moving to something better. What "better" means, that of course varies and each person should decide that for themselves, and take multiple factors into account.

That said, I based on what you said above about how you feel in this job, starting the process of looking for a better option, seems like a good idea.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

That depends on what your alternatives are. Best career advice I've ever been given was to only move from your current position if you are moving to something better. What "better" means, that of course varies and each person should decide that for themselves, and take multiple factors into account.

That said, I based on what you said above about how you feel in this job, starting the process of looking for a better option, seems like a good idea.

Anecdotal,

Spoiler

I took a 10k a year paycut to get into an industry I wanted to be in. I took another 2k a year to get to a job close to home. I'm now up from that 6k, close to home, and happier than I have been in a job in a decade. So it's definitely a per user thing.

• Like 5

Yet another goal change. I nixed the work/finance, and beats goals. Fuck it. I need to focus on fitness. Focusing on fitness will help me organize the rest.

I'm going to continue the morning routine goal with getting up and going out for a walk/run every morning or staying in for yoga when it rains. I'll also be starting the C25K MWF. Yeah. I remember what I said, but I need a program.

Then I'll do dips/pullups workout a couple times a week in the evening. or maybe in the morning, who knows.

Still no food goal. I'm just not sure what I want to do other than eat less but not so little that life sucks.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Yet another goal change. I nixed the work/finance, and beats goals. Fuck it. I need to focus on fitness. Focusing on fitness will help me organize the rest.

I'm going to continue the morning routine goal with getting up and going out for a walk/run every morning or staying in for yoga when it rains. I'll also be starting the C25K MWF. Yeah. I remember what I said, but I need a program.

Then I'll do dips/pullups workout a couple times a week in the evening. or maybe in the morning, who knows.

Still no food goal. I'm just not sure what I want to do other than eat less but not so little that life sucks.

Dude, I'm impressed. It's hard to change goals midstride, even harder to admit you need to focus on one or two things. Digging it.

Instead of having a goal, have a conversation. What about your food habits right now don't you like. What do you like? Why? You don't have to dump it here, but write it down, and be honest and in depth. Sometimes the breakdown helps us find whats breaking down, then we can work towards fixing it.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Yeah, I change my goals mid challenge all the time. Usually because I realise I asked too much of myself. 

Is the fitness focus to get more energy, to lose weight, or because it's just a goal that's important to you? I'm wondering why you dropped the music. Because it seemed like the lack of personal creative stuff was getting you down. Not that you need to pursue it right now if you're overwhelmed. I find creative stuff if the first thing I drop if I'm tired or anxious. So it's taking some time to try and make it a reliable habit. 

Also how will the fitness help you organize the rest? I'm just curious to hear how you're laying this all out mentally. :)

• Like 4

On 4/29/2019 at 3:25 PM, Laghail said:

I love this concept.

Seconded. As someone who jumps into goal-setting quite fast, I probably would benefit from more time conversing with myself about what direction I want to head in so I can create goals that help me get there.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Seconded. As someone who jumps into goal-setting quite fast, I probably would benefit from more time conversing with myself about what direction I want to head in so I can create goals that help me get there.

Don't tell my nerd fitness friends, but sometimes I need goals that are more exploration oriented than results oriented. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Don't tell my nerd fitness friends, but sometimes I need goals that are more exploration oriented than results oriented. 

Are you saying exploration can't be a goal in itself? Whyever not?

I'm definitely heading towards an exploratory challenge of some kind.

• Like 1

Aha! Insights gained.

This week I've significantly dialed back my caffeine intake. Just one cup in the morning, then the rest of the day I get a steady trickle from mostly Diet Mt. Dew. This is in contrast to drinking roughly a whole pot of coffee from the time I wake up to whenever I finish it before switching to drinking several cans of Diet Mt. Dew. I'm pretty damn sure that amount of caffeine is just burning me out and that's why I can't sustain early mornings or adjust my schedule. I've been a lot more clear headed and "Zen" the last couple of days.

In the absence of profligate proportions of coffee, I've been waking up, spontaneously around 3:30 am. Then, because my coffee pot does not finish brewing the one 12 oz coffee until about 4 I shut off the alarm and wait. Then, because I didn't reset it I spontaneously wake up again around 5 am (those 90 minute sleep cycles are no joke). At this point I'm like whatever, I'll be there by seven and doze off again. Then I wake up at 6:45 and haul ass only to be there just shy of 7:30.

These are not good habits that reinforce a healthy circadian rhythm or morning routine... to state the obvious.

Tonight I'm setting my coffee pot to start brewing at 3:15 am, so I can get up when my body brain wants to at 3:30. Then I can drink my one 12 oz coffee while I figure out my day. By 4 am I might even be ready to do a little workout and get some breakfast.. I'm hoping to get to work at 5 and put in a full, 11:45 on the clock because I'm lacking hours at the moment. If all goes well, I'll try again on Friday, and assess how much it's kicking my ass over the weekend. And maybe I'll watch GoT at 3:30 am on Monday morning instead of at 9-9:30pm the night before... that might encourage me to get up early... provided I'm not tossing and turning over what I'm missing.

I'm also going to make a gallon jar of tea, so I can take my thermos and maybe several other bottles of that to work and drink it instead of  Diet Mt. Dew. While I'm at it I'm going to prepare a lunch so I don't get fast food... again.

Also on the diet front I'm going to go super restrictive again... like pecatarian/vegetarian ketogenic. As few carbs and saturated fat as possible. All protein from fish, eggs, or vegetable sources. No dairy.

BUT THEN... when I actually start making progress I'll allow something back in (in limited quantities) as a reward. I'll work out a plan, and you know it will be unnecessarily complex and convoluted... time for decision trees and/or flow charts. I'm onto something.

Yeah. 3:30 am.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

This week I've significantly dialed back my caffeine intake.

Excellent, excellent. Some caffeine is good, but lots is probably not. 

2 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Also on the diet front I'm going to go super restrictive again... like pecatarian/vegetarian ketogenic. As few carbs and saturated fat as possible. All protein from fish, eggs, or vegetable sources. No dairy.

BUT THEN... when I actually start making progress I'll allow something back in (in limited quantities) as a reward. I'll work out a plan, and you know it will be unnecessarily complex and convoluted... time for decision trees and/or flow charts. I'm onto something.

...vegetarian AND keto AND no dairy? Okay, you're just messing with us, right? 

20 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Excellent, excellent. Some caffeine is good, but lots is probably not. 

...vegetarian AND keto AND no dairy? Okay, you're just messing with us, right? 

LOL.

I did a Pescatarian diet last summer that worked well for a while. I just named it pescatarian/vegetarian to emphasize that it won't be just fish/seafood.

Here's a sketch:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs and a salad or maybe just bulletproof coffee

Lunch: TVP meatballs with zucchini noodles and tomato sauce

Dinner: tofu and stir fry vegetables (not served with rice), or fish and veggies.

Maybe once I get ketogenesis going and lose the first 20 lbs, I add some parmesan on my lunch. I'm also going to have contingencies for if I find again that keto is too hard to start/sustain/restart, like including fruits and starchy veggies.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

I'm also going to have contingencies

It sounds like these are/will be important to clearly define, across the board if not just with the dieting. Will the flowcharts include this? It's great to have super ambitious goals (to me they seem super ambitious anyway), but those contingencies make great backup. It feels better to "downshift" than to just fail.

17 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

This week I've significantly dialed back my caffeine intake. Just one cup in the morning, then the rest of the day I get a steady trickle from mostly Diet Mt. Dew. This is in contrast to drinking roughly a whole pot of coffee from the time I wake up to whenever I finish it before switching to drinking several cans of Diet Mt. Dew. I'm pretty damn sure that amount of caffeine is just burning me out and that's why I can't sustain early mornings or adjust my schedule. I've been a lot more clear headed and "Zen" the last couple of days.

That's a good, sustainable change.

What why. Don't do this. Remember all those times when you were like "hey you know what really doesn't work for me? extreme diets!" ?

Reward systems with food make me uncomfortableeee. I do like the idea of having decision trees and flowcharts to ease some decision-making, but mm. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

LOL.

I did a Pescatarian diet last summer that worked well for a while. I just named it pescatarian/vegetarian to emphasize that it won't be just fish/seafood.

Here's a sketch:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs and a salad or maybe just bulletproof coffee

Lunch: TVP meatballs with zucchini noodles and tomato sauce

Dinner: tofu and stir fry vegetables (not served with rice), or fish and veggies.

Maybe once I get ketogenesis going and lose the first 20 lbs, I add some parmesan on my lunch. I'm also going to have contingencies for if I find again that keto is too hard to start/sustain/restart, like including fruits and starchy veggies.

Well, okay... it's just that you said you tend to do rebound eating as a result of restriction. So going for a really restrictive low-carb approach seems... I don't know... like a punishment? Like a plan born of frustration? Maybe I'm just projecting... but do be kind to yourself. You have an end date for the low carb low fat period, right? 

19 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

50 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

I need a hard reset guys. Details are coming. 

Just as long as this skill tree isn't artificially chapter-capped like FFXIII.....

• Like 2

Okay. I don't have the flowchart yet, but we'll start with the first couple of steps.

Phase 0: Collect Underpants Three day fast.

Today at 7 am, I began a 72 hour fast (cuz that's right about when I ate the last breakfast sandwich).

I will not break it until 7 am or later on Sunday. Until that time all I'm allowed is water, coffee, tea (black, green, herbal), lemon water, or vegetable broth.

Why?: Among the biggest problems I've faced recently is just plain overeating. And my digestive system is worn out... lots of gas, bloat, constipation, and more recently diarrhea... yay. So I'm giving the ol' alimentary canal a cleanse and a chance to rest up. Further, I'm going to face up to and power through my cravings. There are going to be a lot of them. They are going to get strong. I will not cave in, and later down the road when I want to backslide I'll remind myself of how insignificant a lazy impulse to just order a pizza is compared to what you feel when you go three days without food. Finally, I believe a three day fast is (more than) enough to get my body burning off it's energy stores. I should use up my glycogen and start dipping into fat storage. And I'm hoping this will help kick off ketogenesis faster.

Phase 1: Vegetarian/Pescatarian Ketogenesis.

I will be breaking the fast with some type of leafy green, lightly drizzled with some olive oil, and some tofu. On day two I'll add eggs back in, and on day three fish. Then I will maintain a steady diet of these proteins with lots of low carb vegetables and non-saturated fats until ketogenesis is achieved. I will be testing for ketogenesis with some of the urine test strips to monitor progress and maintain it. I will strive dilligently to initiate ketosis for 30 days.

Once initiated, I will strive to maintain it until:

1) weight loss stagnates

2) I find I cannot initiate it or sustain it -- as in I get knocked out but can't get back in within a day or two

Why?: To initiate and maintain ketogenesis without saturated fat. Ketogenesis will help me burn more fat and maintain more consistent energy levels throughout the day. And, I know I have the gene that makes it more likely that I'll store saturated fat than burn it when it's in the blood stream.

Ugh! Writing this out is hard. Time to work on the flow chart.

• Like 1

Whatever works best for you! Speaking as a former vegetarian though, what you're describing would limit food options to an...uncomfortable extent, at least for myself.

I'm pretty biased about protein intake, but just a few thoughts for you: the US RDA is 0.8g/kg of bodyweight (~100g), but that's really just for subsistence levels. A better estimate for 'maintenance' when sedentary is actually closer to 1.2g/kg (~145g) - and when active and/or losing fat, the lower bound would be at least 1.4-1.5g/kg (~170-180g) while the upper bounds start at 2.2g/kg (~265g)! Using just the 100g/day target for protein intake, that's 3 eggs, 1c of tofu, and 300g (10-11oz, or at least 3-5 servings) of fish a day. Aiming for 180g would mean an extra 1c of tofu and another 300g of fish (which would be more than a pound of fish a day, assuming that you're limiting eggs due to the saturated fat). And apart from using vegan (pea/hemp/rice/etc.) protein powders, you'd also be pretty limited in your other options since any legume-based protein intake would also bump up your carbs.

Also, again just from personal experience, I'd put good money on your workouts becoming significantly less productive (as is typically the case on low-carb diets, where the advantage errs towards endurance rather than strength or muscle gain). Not to mention the 1,000-2,000kcal deficit I'm guessing you'd be maintaining. In that scenario, without 'adequate' protein (according to this data, that would be at least 1.5g/kg or 180g every day), you're more likely to lose a higher proportion of muscle to fat during the whole process. I'm not saying don't do keto, just....to be aware of how it may impact you, and have a think about designing your food choices to help keep as much muscle as possible!

If it were me, I'd probably put a shorter deadline on the approach (say, 10-14 days after starting?), before returning to a less restrictive plan. Alternatively, or perhaps in conjunction(?), you could look at intermittent energy restriction - think 2 weeks dieting, 2 weeks at maintenance, and toggle back and forth to prevent diet fatigue and excessive reductions in metabolic function. Alternating between your pescatarian keto plan and then TDEE maintenance intake every couple of weeks could give you the best of both worlds!

I'm totally not an expert or health professional though, so also feel free to ignore me completely. ;) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Defining said:

Whatever works best for you! Speaking as a former vegetarian though, what you're describing would limit food options to an...uncomfortable extent, at least for myself.

Thanks for dropping by and sharing the info.

I've been down that road before. One of the things that I keep running into when I read about keto is that too much protein interferes with it. I've tried eating tons of protein (150-200g/day) to maintain muscle mass while lifting heavy and doing keto... that is too much work and the balance between too much of one of each those three things is too delicate, for my body and the current demands of my life.

Right now, I'm just concerned with taking the weight off while gently increasing my activity levels. At 260 -ish lbs. I'm confident my body will happily burn fat without eating away all my muscle. All I really need is to keep protein intake above about 100 g/day. I typically turn to this calculator, which suggests 104g as a low limit with no activity. Then I can bump it up if I get more active.

As for saturated fat, I'll take whatever I'm getting from eggs. My goal with SF is to avoid loading up on bacon grease and butter. SF doesn't have to be 0g/day. Even if I eat an entire carton of eggs a day, I'm probably only going to get about 20g SF (as long as I cook them in olive oil) which is right about where a low SF diet should be. And that comes with about 70g of Protein.

I've got no problem eating a damn brick of tofu either... which will get me 40g of protein, and nothing else.

Let's look at my sample menu above:

Breakfast: 6 eggs = 36g Pro

Lunch: 6 TVP meatballs = 30g Pro

Dinner: 6 oz fish (whiting, my go to) 40g Pro

Total: 106g Pro

That's a good place to start. With the little to no exercise I'm actually getting right now, I won't have to worry about adding protein. When I do get more active, increasing meal sizes slightly, like taking all those 6's an changing them to 7's or 8's will provide a good boost, and I can add some protein shakes or something between meals. Whey isn't off the table in the long run, I'm just nixing all dairy for now.

I should emphasize these pescatarian restrictions aren't meant to be permanent, but I do want these types of foods to be at the core of my diet. To be the focus, the routine, and the foundation, because I've found these foods to be the most healthy and produce the best outcomes for weight loss and sense of well-being for me.

I'm dialing things way back, and trying to establish good basic habits. Once I get rolling and I hit specific weight loss or exercise goals, I can start incorporating other things as supplements and rewards.

Anyway, I could ramble on more but I gotta get to work eventually.

• Like 2

Also, I weighed 268 lbs. yesterday evening. This morning I'm at 262 point something.

I'm not bragging about weight loss, but just posting this to demonstrate how full of shit I was.

Seriously tho, our bodies store a lot of junk that's easy to throw away. I've lost 5-6 lbs in a day of water, glycogen, feces, and salt. After 24 hours of fasting, if you believe my calculated TDEE of about 2500 cals/day, no more than a dozen oz. of that could possibly be fat. I'll be sure to weigh in before I break fast to see how much is gone after three days so you all can see how much junk my body stores when it's overfed.

With that, I'm actually feeling pretty good. Last night I had a headache which made getting to sleep a bit difficult, but I got up around 3:45 this morning feeling fine. I had a cup of coffee and a cup of vegetable broth for breakfast. I'll be sipping tea all day.

I've done fasts before. Once I did 7 days. And I've done couple of 3 day fasts since. Days 2 and 3 are always the hardest. That's when you're tired, groggy, and headachey. Not unlike keto flu ... connection? probably.

• Like 4