• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chris Tarly

Brogo: beats for brainz

In my experience, lifting on keto is just fine if you're adapted, provided your volume isn't too high. A bunch of evidence suggests high intensity, low volume lifting can help prevent muscle loss in a deficit. I think the protein levels are not ideal but acceptable as long as you're lifting. You're not trying to stimulate new muscle growth, so maintenance levels should be fine. No lifting and only maintenance protein will likely lead to more muscle loss than it would if you were lifting and/or eating more protein.

Oh, and fasting/keto definitely won't do any favors for your C25k/running goals.

All that said, these sorts of massive swings can be incredibly difficult for both your body and mind to cope with. I totally get the whole "tough love" mentalilty. It has never worked for me for any appreciable length of time. I hope it works better for you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Also, I weighed 268 lbs. yesterday evening. This morning I'm at 262 point something.

Wow, that's surprising. There was a time when I would have been thrilled to lose that much weight in two months. Anyway, good luck with the plan. Perhaps the reset will do you good. Sometimes I made lasting changes through sudden overhauls - like cutting down caffeine and alcohol, or adding in 3 x lifting and 3 x taekwondo per week. But then some things have been long, slow journeys with back and forths. Food and weight is definitely an area I still struggle with...although one possibility I'm considering is to just stop struggling (at a normal, if unfashionable weight). It will be interesting to see how this works out for you. 

• Like 1

I just got my keto test strips today. I checked my levels when I got home and i already have medium to high levels, which means I'm already ketogenic, but not yet adapted.

So somewhere between 24-36 hours is enough fasting to restart keto from a hyperfed state.

I also want to re-emphasize that the weight loss, and any in this early stage is a non-achievement. It's all water. I'm just mentioning it to remind us all that a fast drop of 5-10 lbs is just the easy excess.

And with protein, don't confuse my starting point of just over 100 g per day as an end goal or long term plan. Remember, I'm building a foundation here. I can add the rest incrementally as needed. But right now, the main focuses are:

1) cleaning and resting my digestive system -- hence the fasting

2) initiating ketogenesis

3) adapting to/maintaining ketogenesis

Once I'm at stage three, then activity levels and maybe protein intake can increase.

• Like 2

Oh! I forgot to mention.

Now I feel like shit.

I was surprised how well I felt this morning. By the afternoon, all that vanished. Now I'm straight up fasting.

• Like 1

I got up at 4 am today and went in to work to pick up some overtime. I checked and I'm still in keto.

I'm not feeling great, but not bad either. A little tired, but generally good. What I do like though is that I'm feeling really calm today.

I've got 20 hours to go on this fast.

I'm going to keep busy by cleaning the kitchen, then making some meal plans for the week along with a grocery list for tomorrow, which will be meal prep day.

• Like 3

Alright! The 72 hours was done 15 minutes ago. Time to breakfast.

I've got spinach and eggs in the fridge... So that's what it'll be.

After that I'm going keto meal plan grocery shopping.

• Like 2

I'm kind of amazed that you decided to fast for 72 hours and then just did it! I'm interested to hear how the rest of the plan plays out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I'm kind of amazed that you decided to fast for 72 hours and then just did it! I'm interested to hear how the rest of the plan plays out.

I've been meaning to do it for a while, in fact, I'm usually thinking about doing three day fasts after holidays, but with work and all I usually back out so I can concentrate. Right now, work is easy and steady again, so being a little tired and foggy didn't hurt. Plus timing it so day one (the easy day) is on Friday helped, that way days two and three I can relax and not worry about doing anything physical or having to use my brain too much.

This week will be a huge test. And I'm going to have to plan my meals well, then figure out how to get through Mother's Day family dinner next week.

One of the best things is I'm having less trouble with mornings, but that may just be from the fast. Hopefully, keto will help me get back on and maintaining a morning schedule.

• Like 1

I have found a new vice... fried seitan medallions.

Meal prep was a success. I have five lunches consisting of seitan and italian veggies/sauce (spinach, tomato, mushroom, and marinated artichoke hearts). I had some for lunch today. It was pretty good.

Then I made some coconut and almond fat bombs using coconut cream, flaked coconut, and almond flour.

Then dinner was the medallions. I decided to make a second batch of seitan and see what happens when I fry it. It's damn amazing. Like fried tofu or browned or baked scrambled eggs, and it was great with soy sauce and steamed broccoli.

And, I forgot to report my end of fast weight. I was 258.8 this morning. From a start of 268 point something, that means I lost 9-10 lbs of junk weight. I'm definitely just deflated in my muscles, and my belly is less bloated.

• Like 3

Damn it!

My last two keto tests came up either negative or almost undetectable levels. Last night and this morning.

The instructions say even the smallest change in color indicates ketogenesis. I'm not getting enough of a change to be certain whether it's darkening from the moisture alone, the lighting in my bathroom, or my optimism.

I'm going to fast for the day and see if that gets me squarely back in. If this is going to work I need unambiguous measures.

There are two factors that may have kicked me out.

1) Too much protein... I've been going crazy on those seitan medallions (or there are trace carbs in my vital wheat gluten that are adding up)

2) My almond butter has a few too many carbs in it... I put that on the seitan

3) Carbs from veggies are adding up, and I need to be stricter on those.

It might be a combination of the three. I haven't been tracking dilligently, though I tracked on Sunday and with a similar menu my carbs topped out at 83g, but 30 of that was fiber bringing net carbs to 53g. Which is a little high for maintenance. I wasn't worried about it because Sunday night and Monday morning I was showing med-high keto levels, but while I'm establishing keto, I think I'll have to dial that down and try to stay below 30g net carbs.

Other than that:

Breakfast monday and tuesday was eggs and a salad of Romaine, walnut pieces, and walnut oil

Lunch and snack at work: seitan with italian veggies and a few coconut fat bombs and seitan medallions

Dinner monday was tofu w/mushrooms and peppers, + seitan medallions

Dinner tuesday was whitefish fillets with kale all sauteed in olive oil, then the last of the medallions with almond butter.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Damn it!

My last two keto tests came up either negative or almost undetectable levels. Last night and this morning.

Wow, sounds quite challenging if you have to watch protein and veg as well. Anyway, the fat sounds delicious. Walnut oil, almond butter and coconut all sound good. 

• Like 1

Hopefully tracking will do the trick. Getting low carb enough without tracking sounds like miracle territory to me.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Just gonna slide in with an option #4 - you're not eating 'enough' fat to produce excess ketone indicators in your urine, since your body is using most of what it's making? Also, and I'm positive you already know, but bear in mind that ketosis is a spectrum, not a switch - so things may fluctuate a bit, especially in the first couple of weeks.

Seitan has about 4g of carbs to 20g of protein per 3oz or 1/3c serving, so depending on how much you're eating that's probably the first place I'd look at; a cup of the stuff would be half of your daily 'allotment'! If you're trying to stay under 30g/day net and are worried about the veg too, the carrots and sweet peppers may need to be swapped out for more greens. Almond butter is ~3g carbs/TBSP, so just keep it under two spoonful's a day?

RE: How much protein is too much? There are lots of different perspectives on it, but few are backed up by hard data. I like this article on the topic: https://www.ruled.me/too-much-protein-bad-for-ketosis/  as well as this one that emphasizes just how individualistic our bodies' responses are: https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-much-protein-can-you-eat-in-ketosis

Sounds like you're kicking ass at your goals so far, don't let the strips derail you! :) 

• Like 2

Just before leaving for work I team a test strip under the tap and looked at it to see what true negative looks like. My urine is producing a slight change. So detectable levels are just very low. I'm still fasting till dinner and I'll retest again tonight. 

While I are with the carb counts above, I'm also subtracting fiber. Most nutrition labels include fiber in total carbs. I only have to worry about the ones I can use as energy. 

I think protein intake will just need to be figured out. I'm aiming low to err I the keto side while I get started. Once I get back to exercising ill probably increase. 

• Like 1

Just got home and my ketone levels are detectable again, well above trace.

Here's the thing. During my three day fast, they were medium-high almost the whole time -- from when I started checking anyway. I agree that eating more fats will put more ketones in my blood, that will then be detected in urine. If I'm detecting what comes from food, then I'm not tapping into my body's fat stores. Weirdly tho, fasting clearly boosts detectable levels. So levels as detected from urine, or probably even from blood, are irrelevant to fat loss. All that matters is that there is some detectable level at all to indicate that I'm ketogenic.

What matters to fat loss is what I consume vs. what I burn, not what I see on the strip. What's on the strip is only an indicator of the general metabolic pathway my body uses. Mostly I'm stating obvious points, but I need to remember this before I make this diet all about how many ketones are in my blood.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

What matters to fat loss is what I consume vs. what I burn, not what I see on the strip. What's on the strip is only an indicator of the general metabolic pathway my body uses. Mostly I'm stating obvious points, but I need to remember this before I make this diet all about how many ketones are in my blood.

Yes, you do. You earn points for remembering it already, and for taking steps to make sure you continue to remember.

It's almost as if you've done this before :P

• Like 2

I got a new fitness tracker!

It's a cheap fitbit knockoff for <$40... there are tons of these on Amazon now. I got this one because it's an upgraded version of the one I got for free when I used to work there. But this one's better because it measures heart rate, and tracks sleep, and a handful of other nifty settings.

The point is, it measures HR. I did some reading about running and keto... and exercise in general. It seems its best to aim for target HR, 70% of max or less and never go over. The whole idea is to maximize fat burning without pushing yourself to the point where your muscles need carbs to function. Doing so would fatigue a person in ketogenesis and hence burn you out. The plan then is to start running and monitor my heart rate as I go and stick to those HR parameters. And I'll bet this logic can be applied to lifting too.

• Like 4

On 5/4/2019 at 9:37 AM, Curl Brogo said:

I got up at 4 am today and went in to work to pick up some overtime. I checked and I'm still in keto.

I'm not feeling great, but not bad either. A little tired, but generally good. What I do like though is that I'm feeling really calm today.

I've got 20 hours to go on this fast.

I'm going to keep busy by cleaning the kitchen, then making some meal plans for the week along with a grocery list for tomorrow, which will be meal prep day.

The strength you must have to meal plan, while fasting. That would have broke me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

The strength you must have to meal plan, while fasting. That would have broke me.

The strength to meal plan, period. I suck so much at that part. :P

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 5:01 PM, Curl Brogo said:

The point is, it measures HR. I did some reading about running and keto... and exercise in general. It seems its best to aim for target HR, 70% of max or less and never go over. The whole idea is to maximize fat burning without pushing yourself to the point where your muscles need carbs to function. Doing so would fatigue a person in ketogenesis and hence burn you out. The plan then is to start running and monitor my heart rate as I go and stick to those HR parameters. And I'll bet this logic can be applied to lifting too.

That seems like useful information. Let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 7:51 PM, Curl Brogo said:

On 4/17/2019 at 7:49 PM, Curl Brogo said:

I love the Chillhop racoon!  And I discovered Retrowave last year.  They really help with the weekly marathon homework sessions. My fave artists are FM-84 and The Midnight.

Stay Retro.

Good choice of inspiration song.  I think it's my lifetime theme song.

On 4/25/2019 at 6:56 PM, Curl Brogo said:

I'm coming up on a year there in mid-May. It's time to start thinking about if I should stay or go...

• Like 1

Doin awesome so far today.

Got up not very late... 6:30 ish? Went in to work for about 3 hours, then came home and batch cooked lunches and probably a lot of dinner.

I made yet another... loaf? batch?.... of seitan adding soy protein isolate to round out the amino acid profile, and used it as a substitute for paneer (Indian cottage cheese) in some palak paneer using a couple bags of frozen spinach and coconut cream and yellow curry, masala, and ground red pepper... fucking delicious, and the seitan has nearly an identical taste and texture as paneer, or at least with these strong flavors you can't really tell the difference.

Then I made TVP chilli. I soaked the TVP in chilli base (from boulion paste), while I sauteed some onions and jalapenos in a very liberal amount of olive oil. Once the mixture got all heated up and ready, I added some TVP to brown a little bit, then I added all the TVP and four cans of spicy tomato sauce, and more salt and olive oil. Also fucking delicious. I'd wager most people wouldn't notice a difference between this chili and one with beef.

After that, I cleaned my bathroom, like everything all at once, not just squirt a little toilet boiler cleaner, hit it with the brush, then let it sit for a while, like sink, floor, the whole toilet, and the mirror. I'll get the tub later between my evening shower, but after a quick run/jog... I'm hoping.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Curl Brogo said:

Then I made TVP chilli. I soaked the TVP in chilli base (from boulion paste), while I sauteed some onions and jalapenos in a very liberal amount of olive oil. Once the mixture got all heated up and ready, I added some TVP to brown a little bit, then I added all the TVP and four cans of spicy tomato sauce, and more salt and olive oil. Also fucking delicious. I'd wager most people wouldn't notice a difference between this chili and one with beef.

What is TVP? Teleologically Vertiginous Progress? Or Taco Verbena Papadams? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

What is TVP? Teleologically Vertiginous Progress? Or Taco Verbena Papadams? 

So close... Textured Vegetable Protein... soy protein that's dehydrated and ground up. Its looks like bread crumbs kinda. Once you soak it in water or broth etc. it's a lot like cooked hamburger. Pretty good for tacos, veggie burgers, chili, meat sauce, etc.

In other news, running still fucking sucks.

1.88 miles, 28 minutes (run/walk): max heart rate 181 bpm, average HR 121.

This cheap little tracker is not very accurate. I have no doubt that I hit 181. I checked the old fashioned way... finger on jugular... I was up there. In no way was my average during the workout 121. No way. That's maybe as low as it got during a walk.

My goal was to go and run/walk and try to maintain my HR between 115 and 130 (the top of the "fatburn" cardio zone). But it was clear that my tracker was way off once. I was running on a bike path, and every cross street/trail there were signs and a bench, so I just alternated jog/walk between the benches. And at no point did I stop and sit on one, which is surprising since I haven't run on pavement since probably... umm... hmm... uhhh... 2014?

I need to tighten up my core... my running posture is sloppy, and this leads to wasted movement and effort. And I need to figure out where exactly my foot needs to strike the earth.

• Like 2