• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sarakingdom

Sara Kingdom Narrowly Avoids the Scorpion Pit, Pt. 2

"Welcome back, Miss Kingdom," said Lord Vetinari. "Did you enjoy your holiday in the Hublands?"

Drumknott silently wafted in, and placed a tray with a pot of tea and two teacups on the Patrician's desk.

"Yes, my lord," said Sara.

Vetinari poured the tea and pushed a cup towards her.

"Now," he said. "We have much to do, have we not."

When was that ever not true, thought Sara. "Yes, my lord," she repeated.

"Get a good night's rest, Miss Kingdom," said Vetinari. "Mr Ketch will have your assignments in the morning. And my word, won't you be busy."

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Such an inducement to a restful night's sleep.

And I did sleep fairly well as a result.

• Like 2

My dear Miss Kingdom, read the note.

What a busy evening you have ahead of you. However, I should like to point out that you have repeatedly demonstrated the adage that one accomplishes more by doing less.

Your responsibilities consist solely of three tasks. Which is to say, three tasks at a time. After three tasks, you may have a quarter of an hour to yourself, upon completion of which you will repeat the cycle. A quantitative and qualitative report on the experience is expected on my desk first thing in the morning.

I trust I will not have to remind you to take appropriate care of city employees.

Yours, etc.

Sara folded it up, sighed, and got out her cardboard notebook and filled her pen with ink in Standard Clerk Black.

• Like 4

Sara made the first list of three and started the timer.

• Put away packages
  • Start the laundry
  • Hydrate and pick next three tasks

After these tasks, the timer went off, and Sara took fifteen minutes to sit down and eat chocolate like a responsible adult. Then she made the next list:

• Empty dishwasher
  • Fill the dishwasher
  • Make tea and lemonade concentrates for future hydration needs
  • Like 5

"Ping!"

Sara looked around for the speaker.

"I said 'ping', Insert Name Here!"

Sara pulled her government-issue Gooseberry out of her coat pocket. "What is it?" she said.

"Your fifteen minutes are up! Rest now, Insert Name Here," said the Gooseberry.

Sara sat down, poured another glass of ice water, and made a new list.

• Measure ingredients for ginger garlic paste
  • Make ginger garlic paste
  • Find dinner recipe
  • Like 4

Sara left an Agatean dish simmering on the stove (seared chicken and chilis simmering till tender in soy sauce, wine, ginger, and garlic, to be topped with sesame seeds, spring onions, and cilantro). Then she sat down to make a final list.

• Wash the dishes
  • Get the trash ready to go out
  • Clear the floor the vacuuming imp
  • Prepare the vacuuming imp
  • Dry the laundry
  • Get the herbal tea into the fridge

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Yours says "Ping?" I can't mine to quit saying "Bingley-Bingley-Beep."

I think it's because I used the timer instead of making an appointment. I've read that part of the manual.

(Also, HOLY CRAP, this food is good. Whoa.)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

This is why you work directly for Lord Vetinary and not for Commander Vimes.

You have to stay on your toes to work at the palace. Unless you want to be hung by them. 

Okay. I got to everything but the dishes. But it's now bedtime. Dishes will have to be done tomorrow morning.

• Like 3

Total job count for the night: 22

Unfinished jobs on the list: 1

Injuries: 0.5 (minor burn from boiling water while making tea)

Errands run: 1 (groceries)

Minutes to entertain myself in bed before lights out: 10

That didn't suck. I got rest when I needed it. I hydrated. I got things done, and more than usual. Three small jobs on my list at a time is about doable. Plus I now have homemade lemonade and chai concentrates in the fridge for when I need to hydrate (always, I never hydrate enough), garlic-ginger paste in the freezer, and machines did a load of dishes for me, washed and dried my clothes, and vacuumed the floor. So I think I fought back entropy and banked some wins for a future date.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

Total job count for the night: 22

That's a lotta jobs done.  The threat of dangling by ones toes over a scorpion pit seems to be working :) 

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

That's a lotta jobs done.  The threat of dangling by ones toes over a scorpion pit seems to be working :) 

It did not, alas, convince me to stay in bed after getting to bed on time all responsibly. I was thirsty. I needed more hydration. And, um, was reading a library book. And clearly could not stop. So I imagine his lordship will have plenty to say tomorrow...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yay for getting all the things done! Kudos on making tasty food!

Books are sneaky that way. I don't have any solutions to putting down a good book.

On the hydration side, I keep a travel mug of water on my nightstand. The lid prevents me knocking it over when reaching for the facial tissue, and keeps the cats out of it. I find that sitting up in bed to get a drink (and take ibuprofen) does not make me fully wake up like I do when I have to walk to the bathroom. I fall back asleep much faster.

Vetinari stared at her too long for comfort. "Clearly, I must remind you to take appropriate care of city employees," he said.

"It'll be better later this week," said Sara. "There were, um, reasons."

"There always are," said Vetinari. "Let us hope you are correct. Much is expected of you this week. You do not have the luxury of underperforming."

"I won't," said Sara, hoping that was in fact true.

"The next three tasks, Miss Kingdom," he said. "And watch for Mr Ketch. This meeting is at an end. I have much to do, and so have you. Don't let me detain you."

Sara bolted.

• Like 3

Things I did not do so well yesterday:

Eat enough

Sleep enough

Things I did well this morning:

Ate something to make up the difference

Hydrated

Got to work at a fairly reasonable time

Did my next three tasks, twice

Moved from my center when I walked

Walking while moving from my center is very interesting. My shoulders drop, my glutes actually work, and my quads stretch out. I'm thinking bad walking posture might be part of why my quads are so tight; I gather that's related to glutes not engaging, and the quads staying overly contracted seems to be related to that.

Also, it clearly turns you into a Kurosawa samurai. Need more hakama.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Walking while moving from my center is very interesting. My shoulders drop, my glutes actually work, and my quads stretch out. I'm thinking bad walking posture might be part of why my quads are so tight; I gather that's related to glutes not engaging, and the quads staying overly contracted seems to be related to that.

REALLY?!?  Say more, please.

My trainer pointed out that my glutes are not engaging. My quads have been tight forever. How does one implement this walking change?

"I will just finish the chapter" is not the biggest lie I've ever told, but it is certainly the most frequent.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mistr said:

REALLY?!?  Say more, please.

My trainer pointed out that my glutes are not engaging. My quads have been tight forever. How does one implement this walking change?

It's far simpler than I thought. Take your center. Shove it out in front. Make it the thing that leads. Your center of gravity is in charge, you're just following its lead at a slight delay.

That makes your pelvis much more fluid, your quads actually need to release for your leg to swing back a full stride, and your glutes need to contract to do it. It's also way harder to hunch the shoulders. When your upper body is a little ahead of your center, your quads can do all the work, and never need to extend. (When you're ahead of your pelvis, your legs never go further back than neutral standing, from what I can tell. So they never get into the glute-controlled backward range.)

It's just remembering to do it that's annoying. Also, overcoming social conditioning about hiding normal female belly convexity. (Most women round their shoulders and lean forward of their pelvis a little to minimize either their belly or their breasts, depending on which they feel self-conscious about. Also, doing a lot of sitting doesn't help the situation.)

But on the plus side, you are now Toshiro Mifune sauntering down the street. And the glutes are a pleasantly powerful muscle to engage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1