• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Salinger

Salinger's twenty first challenge!

last minute thought.

about any kind of inflammation. (like a wonky knee)

take Advil/Ibuprofen!

espacially during something really hard.  I try to temper myself by never using it while training- yet, on "race/challenge" day- I'm taking it!

can't see the vlog until I get to another computer.  but I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 2

Sal, I'm just getting caught up on threads, but your holiday looks lovely, and I hope you'll be able take that deep breath you need to try to enjoy it. Even if you just try--but don't succeed at what you were hoping to do--that's still practice in trying. <3

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

can't see the vlog until I get to another computer.  but I'm looking forward to it.

Think i have TWO ibuprofens, will save and take tmoro morning. 

Hope you can watch the vlog! xx

2 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

Sal, I'm just getting caught up on threads, but your holiday looks lovely, and I hope you'll be able take that deep breath you need to try to enjoy it. Even if you just try--but don't succeed at what you were hoping to do--that's still practice in trying. <3

Good to see you Ann!!! Thank you im trying hard to relax and breathe xx

1 hour ago, Tesseract said:

That Airbnb is adorable! I keep telling myself I'd like to go on a little getaway on my own but I never have. Kudos to you!

Hey Tess! Yes its lovely! Thanks, you can do it!! :) xx

3 hours ago, Salinger said:

But i am hoping tomorrow will be fun as well as extremely difficult. Im a little worried about my knee, but ill rest it this afternoon. Im sure it will all be fine. If i fail to make it to the top then so what? I can train and come back and attempt it again!?

Just look at what you wrote. You're hoping it will be fun and extremely difficult. Those two in the same sentence along with the idea of failing and trying again. That's an athlete's attitude. No, not just an athlete, that's a champions attitude! People that achieve dreams have that kind of attitude. Edison (even though he may have been a class A jerk) in his own words didn't fail, just found 10,000 ways that didn't work.

One of my all time favorite commercials is this one. It's an old one, but the voice over is one I've never forgotten. I could care less about the shoes he's peddling. The feeling he conveys is the important part.

Champions don't quit. They face obstacles, get knocked down and keep coming back for more until those obstacles are there no more. All these challenges over the last couple of years have had their obstacles and I haven't seen you quit. Go attack that mountain tomorrow. Sooner or later, those obstacles will fall because you keep coming back for more. You got this, Sal!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, jstanlick said:

Just look at what you wrote. You're hoping it will be fun and extremely difficult. Those two in the same sentence along with the idea of failing and trying again. That's an athlete's attitude. No, not just an athlete, that's a champions attitude! People that achieve dreams have that kind of attitude. Edison (even though he may have been a class A jerk) in his own words didn't fail, just found 10,000 ways that didn't work.

One of my all time favorite commercials is this one. It's an old one, but the voice over is one I've never forgotten. I could care less about the shoes he's peddling. The feeling he conveys is the important part.

Champions don't quit. They face obstacles, get knocked down and keep coming back for more until those obstacles are there no more. All these challenges over the last couple of years have had their obstacles and I haven't seen you quit. Go attack that mountain tomorrow. Sooner or later, those obstacles will fall because you keep coming back for more. You got this, Sal!

Hey J! Well i didnt mean i HOPE its extremely difficult, just know it will be, and i HOPE its also a bit fun. 

Thank you so much for these words, i got goosebumps actualy and shed a little tear. 'People that achieve dreams....' i want to be one of those people. 

I will attack the mountain, as best as i can. Like i said, if i fail, ill train and attack it again....

That commercial is brilliant, i also love this one from Nike....i think i will listen to it before i set off tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Quickly, as I'm in the midst of a few things tonight - 

This is one of my favorite commercials ever.  Partly because of the ex-Gunner featured, and partly because it just speaks to me when I'm feeling beaten down.

Your photos are AMAZING and I hope you can take that deep breath and enjoy yourself for you.  And echoing everyone else, you CAN do that trail!!  If you believe in yourself, you'll be UNSTOPPABLE!!!! (And we believe in you too!!)

<3

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shaar said:

Quickly, as I'm in the midst of a few things tonight - 

This is one of my favorite commercials ever.  Partly because of the ex-Gunner featured, and partly because it just speaks to me when I'm feeling beaten down.

Thats great! Nike do some really good adverts!!! thanks for sharing! x

5 hours ago, shaar said:

Your photos are AMAZING and I hope you can take that deep breath and enjoy yourself for you.  And echoing everyone else, you CAN do that trail!!  If you believe in yourself, you'll be UNSTOPPABLE!!!! (And we believe in you too!!)

<3

Thanks Shaar. I am trying to believe in myself, new territory here so its scary...thank you for your support <3 xx

• Like 1

Morning all, its 6.40am, i slept a bit better last night but still not properly. Which is annoying as i needed the rest. 

Just drinking tea and had some peanut butter on toast. My back aches a little and i have a slight headache. 

Its bloody raining too, and the top of the mountain is covered in fog. Looking at the weather, its going to be foggy up there till late evening. So i may not see much IF i make it up...

Im terrified of going, my anxiety is all over the place. But i have been reading the last few posts back (mine and yours) and its settling me a bit. Ill watch the three commercials too...for some inspiration. 

I need to nip to the shop, to get some milk this morning, then i will come back, get ready, pack my bag then leave. And hope i find a parking space. 

x

• Like 2

Hey Liz

Dare to dream crazy Dreams!

I think every one of those goals are perfectly Reasonable  though some More are closer to your reach than others!

my counterquestion is WHY NOT strive to do all those things?

is there a real Argument that you shouldn't try to lose ANY weight!?  or that you should just consider running too hard and Mountains too tall??

I don't think there is....

if you try and fail to succeed at first, well, you still Much healthier and happier to have tried.

yes, you may be dissapointed.  but you will have done amazing, inspiring things in you life just by trying to do some of those things.

be patient with yourself!  Try to do things and see How much you can do. 

then try some more.

you watch, you can do SO much more than you were would have imagined IF you dare to try and keep up the effort....

• Like 1

Hey all. Well im sorry to say its disappointing news. I didnt make it to the top...i got about a third up, then turned back. My knee was aching and it was getting more and more tough (steep)

I hiked for maybe almost 2 hours on a constant up....on the way down i couldnt believe id managed to make it as far as i did ... It is SO tough. and i am SO unfit. thats a recipe for disaster haha. 

The drive to the car park took 10 mins, i had my waterproof jacket (which i didnt need) and water in a bag with the tube to drink from (lifesaver) and extra bottle and chocolate and nuts. I changed into my boots and set off. Pretty straight away its a massive hill. And as i was climbing i wondered what the fuck i was doing haha

It got steeper, i had to keep stopping. But i worked hard and pushed forward. Finally reaching an opening, i took in the views. Lots of cloud but some breakout sun too. At one point i needed my shades on! 

58612979_2382361961796083_652757298673876992_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_eui2=AeFITQBBhy0eERz6qEi71gyUmVbLoArlOvlJEK_dyC386NXY3Lwi9SS0TZA8aSaN-3fNQ2S1dOnMVilQNm8ZmxmzzeqRsUpYTUk_YKsceQ_D-A&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=6fa68078046222f2aff88df300eafd08&oe=5D7614B0

I started to feel my knee a bit, it feels like its inside the bone (!?) aching. But i pushed on a bit further. Not loads of people about but some, and i said hello etc when i saw them. Then sat on a wall and took some photos. 

I felt prepared, everything BUT my fitness...

When i decided i couldnt push any more, i turned back a little despondent but also determined. To make it to the top in the summer...call me crazy like in the advert i posted. I want to climb this, and i want to one day run far. 

Now i am drinking water and resting my knee. Ill have a shower soon, sweat overload. ha 

The great outdoors hey, i need to get out there more often, it helps my mood. The cold wind on my cheeks, heavy breathing, aching legs....i kinda like it?!

58778964_2213878201981438_757331325605642240_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_eui2=AeGmyUNieDsO11dZp1mxt1b5A42YH-Coj3GAAnR4ApsLlEeQ0bOwY49UWNdntiwJVbPeKdUNqjxMszVnVOfxjfV6pCq8fAdBoEvEqUBJxIeicQ&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=bb4e7a68964ee9b38607b1b36e826e03&oe=5D759EE7

58717973_2084624244939223_6875089652630421504_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_eui2=AeFJUfjFcumuYMqN995MZ5JJ-sa61Hduli32jERpt_ToZM0Y-i3UCS35kRRokC7T4ggyMIAR5KIWIkBEoCbtfahlyKA8t7DlaospSQuE2C8Jag&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=6738d0efc1fa6156265763f863506c2f&oe=5D35832F

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TGP said:

Hey Liz

Dare to dream crazy Dreams!

I think every one of those goals are perfectly Reasonable  though some More are closer to your reach than others!

my counterquestion is WHY NOT strive to do all those things?

is there a real Argument that you shouldn't try to lose ANY weight!?  or that you should just consider running too hard and Mountains too tall??

I don't think there is....

if you try and fail to succeed at first, well, you still Much healthier and happier to have tried.

yes, you may be dissapointed.  but you will have done amazing, inspiring things in you life just by trying to do some of those things.

be patient with yourself!  Try to do things and see How much you can do. 

then try some more.

you watch, you can do SO much more than you were would have imagined IF you dare to try and keep up the effort....

Thanks TGP - you are right of course, why not? And also yes, if i try, ill be healthier. Happier hopefully too. I also think i need to also enjoy the process....the JOURNEY. Each little achievement needs to be celebrated. 

Great to have this place to discuss and have encouragement. 

Anyway i have just posted a little report above..... xx

• Like 1

oh, I see it!

Hey it is Beautiful!!  I note you didn't make  it to the top; but you went a ways and saw some beautiful things!  Woot!  Definitely a great experience...

fitness is built one dare at a time- and I'm glad you did that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

oh, I see it!

Hey it is Beautiful!!  I note you didn't make  it to the top; but you went a ways and saw some beautiful things!  Woot!  Definitely a great experience...

fitness is built one dare at a time- and I'm glad you did that!

Yeah it is totally beautiful here. It was a good experience, and just shows me i need to work hard. I hope this isnt just all talk...and when i get back home to Manchester, i have the same mindset. 

I like that, 'one dare at a time' thats cool. Ill remember that !!

I had a little nap, im a bit achey but that feels good. Its almost 5pm, ill light the fire shortly. Im listening to the Stone Roses and drinking tea. I bought one bottle of beer, maybe ill have that tonight with dinner (pasta bake) 

Funny how my depression has lifted slightly. Like the clouds/mist. x

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Salinger said:

Well im sorry to say its disappointing news. I didnt make it to the top...i got about a third up, then turned back. My knee was aching and it was getting more and more tough (steep)

It's not disappointing! You did the very best that you could, at your current fitness level and with your knee being rude. And a third of the way is no joke! That's a good amount. What's important is that You. Did. Your. Best. That's all that matters. 

I'm going to go off on a bit of a tangent, but I promise it's relevant. I'm a historian by training (got my degree in history), and it's one of my passions. The Ancient Greeks believed in a concept called "areté." Arete is the concept of "Virtue," which in the time of the ancient Greeks didn't mean "virtue" as we know it now. Instead, Virtue was the concept of achieving personal excellence. Doing your very best with what the gods and fates had given you, and trying your best. And that's what you're doing when you challenge yourself. You're living a life of personal achievement and excellence! Your personal best can vary from day to day. Your best today won't be the same as your best tomorrow or yesterday. But you did your best. And by climbing as high and as far as you did, you did your best. And you should be proud of that!

Make sure you rest your knee, maybe put a warm compress on it if it's swollen at all and if it hurts a lot. Congrats on your climb! Let this be a sign of your journey-- you didn't go as far as you wanted, but you still did something worth being proud of.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2019 at 10:04 AM, Salinger said:

Thank you TGP, you never fail to motivate and inspire me, and i thank you for that. <3 

I am scared, sad, and anxious. (yes anxiety is different to being scared!) 

But i am hoping tomorrow will be fun as well as extremely difficult. Im a little worried about my knee, but ill rest it this afternoon. Im sure it will all be fine. If i fail to make it to the top then so what? I can train and come back and attempt it again!?

I did you guys a vlog.... i think @Miaulin asked me to do one? Well its in two parts (you will see why if you watch HAHA)

OH WHAT AWFUL THUMBNAILS :o :(

ok bye xx

I watched!

your ok, though.  I found some of the thoughts interesting!!

the problem with vlogs is - what to flippin' say!!??

oh my THEY. ARE. HARD

and somehow they feel unnatural and abit crazy.  like talking to yourself.

you were best when you were talking about the books.  you really like books, don't you?  I'm kind of obsessive on everything- and I either read it over and over again or not.

for the last long while most of the limited reading I do is the Lord of the Ring.

oh boy; I can practically quote parts of the book.

All-we-have-to-decide-is-what-to-do-with

oh and PS.

sorry about taking SO long to watch the vlog.  the PC is use during much of the day has disabled video.

;)

12 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

It's not disappointing! You did the very best that you could, at your current fitness level and with your knee being rude. And a third of the way is no joke! That's a good amount. What's important is that You. Did. Your. Best. That's all that matters. 

I'm going to go off on a bit of a tangent, but I promise it's relevant. I'm a historian by training (got my degree in history), and it's one of my passions. The Ancient Greeks believed in a concept called "areté." Arete is the concept of "Virtue," which in the time of the ancient Greeks didn't mean "virtue" as we know it now. Instead, Virtue was the concept of achieving personal excellence. Doing your very best with what the gods and fates had given you, and trying your best. And that's what you're doing when you challenge yourself. You're living a life of personal achievement and excellence! Your personal best can vary from day to day. Your best today won't be the same as your best tomorrow or yesterday. But you did your best. And by climbing as high and as far as you did, you did your best. And you should be proud of that!

Make sure you rest your knee, maybe put a warm compress on it if it's swollen at all and if it hurts a lot. Congrats on your climb! Let this be a sign of your journey-- you didn't go as far as you wanted, but you still did something worth being proud of.

morning Nic! Thanks a lot for your post <3 

How interesting, wow. You learn so much being on here. Thank you for sharing. I think sometimes i dont DO or TRY to do my best, but i want to try harder. This gives me a push :)

Knee feels better today, its not swollen so that good. Hopefully will be fine with the long drive.... xx

4 hours ago, TGP said:

you were best when you were talking about the books.  you really like books, don't you?  I'm kind of obsessive on everything- and I either read it over and over again or not.

for the last long while most of the limited reading I do is the Lord of the Ring.

oh boy; I can practically quote parts of the book.

Yes i do like books! I dont read enough though...im also a bit obsessive, ive read my top 5 books over and over...

Never read LoTR. Not too keen on fantasy stuff :o im a bad Nerd haha

xx

• Like 1

Morning all! 8am here, i cant see the mountains this morning due to mass fog! And its raining. I have the window slightly ajar and the rain falls onto a metal roof just outside the window. Its calming, the sound. Its making me sleepy haha

I have a cup of tea and toast. I will set off home soon, maybe around midday when the weather clears. A bit nervous about the drive, 2.5 hours. It will be fine though i know. 

Cant wait to see the cats <3 

Got to sort things out when home, get ready for Venice etc. And sort out some gym days before i go (9th) 

I also need to get my meds asap as i run out in two days. Need to ensure im taking them every bloody day. Its not rocket science. If i dont take them, i get ill. 

x

• Like 1

Snowdonia was beautiful!  but it seems like the weather was a bit wet, even for UK standards.

same here!  rain-rain-rain....

the newly bloomed flowers and all the green growing plants are LOVING it.

anyways; go home get you meds. prep for venice.

truth be told I'm pretty jealous.  what a traveler you're turning out to be!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Salinger said:

It will be fine though i know. 

You'll be home before you know it!

We've got the same wet weather south here... only it's getting darker and colder by the day!

• Like 1