• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sylvaa

[Sylvaa] Is An Athlete

My flight is delayed, so I have the next three hours to put together my challenge (yay I guess). So incoming block of text.

I did a lot of internal monologue over the past week / weekend and I'm in flux. I think I may actually be self-sabotaging through my inner voice that continually tells me, "I am not a runner" or "I am not an athlete". But what actually is stopping me from considering myself an athlete? Do I want to compete with elites? Do I want to finish top 10 in a race? Honestly, the answer is that I have no idea. All I know is that I want to improve. But how can I improve if I keep knocking myself down? I use not being an athlete as a crutch to excuse not giving a workout 100% (mainly the warm up and extras, not the actual workout). I use not being an athlete to eat worse than I should. And I'm not going to improve if I don't give myself the tools - including the self-assurance - to do so.

On April 27th, I am doing my first Terrain Race of the year with @NeverThatBored. Then, in July, I'm doing a second one (not the same course, but from what I've seen previously, they are fairly similar). That gives me 90 days to see improvement. 90 days to complete more obstacles. 90 days to complete the course faster. 90 days to show myself that believing I am an athlete can help me accomplish more and more. 

Challenge Goals:

• An Athlete Prioritizes Training: Last challenge, I spent the time to schedule my training into my Google Calendar. I get a reminder 30 minutes before my "scheduled" workout time. There are very few times where I am not actually able to make those workouts, yet it is sometimes too easy to dismiss the alarm and go on with whatever I am doing (or not doing - particularly on the weekends). I don't dismiss an alarm for work or for an appointment, there aren't many reasons why I shouldn't feel the same way about training. 
    • My current set up is 6 days / week. 
      • 3 Yancy workouts
      • 3 C25K 
    • Hit at least 5 / 6 workouts per week. I can decide to have an extra rest day if the C25K workout mimics the Yancy workout and / or if I am feeling enough pain to warrant taking pain reliever.
  • An Athlete Focuses on Progress & Ability: After the first Terrain Race, I should be able to objectively determine where my area for improvement lies. I'll know what obstacles I can (or can't) complete. Use this list to add in areas of focus. 
    • Go to OCR specific training at least 3 times over the course of the next 90 days. There are two places I can use for this; one closer than the other. Stop using my introvertness as an excuse to not put in the time. 
  • An athlete prioritizes nutrition and recovery: 6 days per week is an aggressive workout schedule, however not impossible based on the workouts I am doing. That being said making sure I am getting enough sleep, the correct nutrition, and managing stress are going to be key in being able to do what I want.
    • Sleep at least 7 hours nightly. As long as I get at least 7 hours, I wake rested and refreshed. Less than this and I get cranky and unproductive. 
    • Log food daily to the best of my ability. Calorie goal between 1700 - 2000 depending on workout. Focus on high quality food.
      • Limit alcohol to three drinks weekly (one drink M - Th, two drinks on the weekend).
    • Use journal daily. Complete 6 tomatoes M - F and 5 tomatoes Sa / Su.
    • Drink at least 90 oz of water daily.
  • Like 16

Tracking:

Week 0:

Train: YC / C25K / YC / X / X / C25K / X

OCR: x / x / x / x / x / x / x

Sleep: 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 / 8 / 8 / 6

Food: 1,655 / 1865 /  1683 / X / X / X / X

Water: 82.5 / 84.5 / :) / :) / :) / :) / :) 

Journal: 5 / 10 / 7 / 6 / 5 / 7 / 6

Week 1:

Train: YC / Yoga (what?!) / YC / X / X / TR / Walk

OCR: X / X / X / X / X / Y / X 

Sleep: :)  / :( / :( / :( / :) / :) / :( 

Food: 1,680 / 1,725 / 1,599 / 1,287 / 1,367 / ?? / ??

Water: :)  / :) / :) / :) / :) / :) / :) 

Journal: 7 / 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 / 7 / X / X

Week 2:

Train: YC / C25K / YC / X / C25K / Yoga / X

OCR: X / X / X / X / X / X / X 

Sleep: :( / :) / :( / :) / :) / :) / :) 

Food: 1,673 / 1,725 / 1,572 / 1,706 / ?? / ?? / ??

Water: :) / :) / :) / :) / :) / :) / :) 

Journal: 7 / 10 / 8 / 5 / 8 / X / X

Week 3:

Train: YC / X / X / YC / 

OCR: X / X / X / X / X 

Sleep: :( / :) / :( / :) / :) 

Food: :) / :) / :) / :) 

Water: :) / :) / :) / :) / 

Journal: 10 / 8 / 8 / 8 / 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

If you want any company at the OCR training grounds, I hope you know I'm up for those! :)

Totally! The only issue is that there is one near my house, which I might be more likely to go to (uncertain for sure) and it's kind of far for you. :( 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Totally! The only issue is that there is one near my house, which I might be more likely to go to (uncertain for sure) and it's kind of far for you. :( 

Fair! If you end up at the one that's closer to me, let me know. :P

• Like 1

So here's a question. Do you want to consider yourself an athlete? I know you said telling yourself you aren't one is detrimental at the moment. That does not, however, mean you have to call yourself an athlete to fix it. You can change that internal monologue different ways with other substitutions. You could start calling yourself an adventurer, a guild leader, a rebel, or simply awesome. How would you like to view yourself?

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

So here's a question. Do you want to consider yourself an athlete? I know you said telling yourself you aren't one is detrimental at the moment. That does not, however, mean you have to call yourself an athlete to fix it. You can change that internal monologue different ways with other substitutions. You could start calling yourself an adventurer, a guild leader, a rebel, or simply awesome. How would you like to view yourself?

What he said :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Very relevant. I do want to view myself as an athlete. 

I love being an Adventurer and a Guild Leader and a member of NF. But they aren't necessarily helpful to my goals. And honestly, while everyone is so supportive here, I need an additional level of personal accountability because I personally use the whole, "get back on the wagon" way too frequently. I need a driver to help me cultivate discipline and I believe that believing in myself as an athlete will help me do so. 

Simply awesome doesn't work for me. My internal monologue has certain hard stops and that is one of them. 

46 minutes ago, squeakyvalkyrie said:

I signed up for a terrain race in June! It's my first and I am terrified. 

Which one are you doing? They are so much fun!

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, squeakyvalkyrie said:

It's called Terrain Race. I convinced my boyfriend to do it with me. Should be fun, it doesn't look super intense.

http://terrainrace.com/locations/sanjose/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInujd2t3S4QIVEMRkCh0ymAxmEAAYASAAEgIUn_D_BwE

Yeah, Terrain Races are my favorite! Sucks (for me) that it is where it is or I totally would have volunteered to run it too!

• Like 1

Do you have a plan in place to retrain your internal monologue? You have some very good strategies to make habits out of things athletes do, what about a habit of calling yourself an athlete till your monologues are reprogrammed? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, squeakyvalkyrie said:

It's called Terrain Race. I convinced my boyfriend to do it with me. Should be fun, it doesn't look super intense.

http://terrainrace.com/locations/sanjose/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInujd2t3S4QIVEMRkCh0ymAxmEAAYASAAEgIUn_D_BwE

Terrain Race is great!! It's not so easy that it feels fake, but it's not so intense that it feels impossible either. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Very relevant. I do want to view myself as an athlete. 

I love being an Adventurer and a Guild Leader and a member of NF. But they aren't necessarily helpful to my goals. And honestly, while everyone is so supportive here, I need an additional level of personal accountability because I personally use the whole, "get back on the wagon" way too frequently. I need a driver to help me cultivate discipline and I believe that believing in myself as an athlete will help me do so. 

Simply awesome doesn't work for me. My internal monologue has certain hard stops and that is one of them. 

I understand this! This is why I joined the adventurers, because I needed that formal change to stay in mindset I need to move forward.

You are an athlete! 

• Like 3

I really like how you are framing this challenge. One thing that helps me (I think I learned it from an article Steve wrote) is with framing everything you do with "How would an athlete do this?"

How would an athlete eat? How would an athlete train intelligently? How would an athlete walk (shoulders up, back straight)? How would an athlete respond to a setback? 

It seems silly at first, but it can make a huge difference. It's the "fake it til you make it" strategy that has served me well as I'm getting back into it.

Can't wait to see how this challenge goes for you! And to see how your races go.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Terrain Race is great!! It's not so easy that it feels fake, but it's not so intense that it feels impossible either. 

100% this. They are definitely a lot of fun, will probably be a bit challenging, but you'll feel excited to have finished. :) 

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Do you have a plan in place to retrain your internal monologue? You have some very good strategies to make habits out of things athletes do, what about a habit of calling yourself an athlete till your monologues are reprogrammed? 

Will I consider myself an athlete because I have athlete strategies? Probably not. Will it impact my internal monologue? Probably not. My goal is to act like an athlete until I can perform like an athlete. I'm pretty good at faking it until I make it. 

My internal monologue is kind of a @$$. It's forever very negative and doesn't like to give actual Sylvaa a lot of credit. I recognize this as a flaw that probably should be addressed, but it's definitely something that isn't important to me. *shrug*

Week 0 Update

On the road again. My flight was delayed 3 hours, which made it really hard to actually accomplish my tomatoes, but I persevered. It also made my day seem really wonky. If anyone is curious, it's also shark week. Luckily, I don't get overly emotional and didn't cry over delayed planes. I did get a $100 voucher though!

Got my workout in. It could have gone worse. I really enjoy the way my shoulders look when I work out. Tonight, it should be nice enough for me to run outside (yay!). 

I didn't eat horribly. I really wanted ribs (which is my usual Monday night meal), however I tried a new Door Dash place, which really wasn't a Door Dash place, and my order got cancelled. By then, it was after 8, I was hungry, and I didn't want to wait another 45 minutes for dinner. So I got a shrimp quesadilla instead. I asked for no rice, beans, or tortilla chips in an effort to not eat extra. It worked. I also got a small pack of Dark chocolate cashews to have for dessert this week. This was actually really helpful, because then I did not touch the candy in my room. 

• Like 10

44 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

I tried a new Door Dash place, which really wasn't a Door Dash place, and my order got cancelled. By then, it was after 8, I was hungry, and I didn't want to wait another 45 minutes for dinner

THE WORST. I've had this happen before too and it's so frustrating because you've been waiting around for food and you're usually pretty hungry by the time they tell you it's cancelled.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Will I consider myself an athlete because I have athlete strategies? Probably not. Will it impact my internal monologue? Probably not. My goal is to act like an athlete until I can perform like an athlete. I'm pretty good at faking it until I make it. 

My internal monologue is kind of a @$$. It's forever very negative and doesn't like to give actual Sylvaa a lot of credit. I recognize this as a flaw that probably should be addressed, but it's definitely something that isn't important to me. *shrug*

I hope you'll forgive me but this is something you can work on, it just takes some habit and repetition. A daily practice of writing down an affirming statement or two, in your case, "I am an Athlete," can work wonders in reprogramming our internal monologue. I strongly encourage you to begin a practice of writing down those four words at least once a day.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I hope you'll forgive me but this is something you can work on, it just takes some habit and repetition. A daily practice of writing down an affirming statement or two, in your case, "I am an Athlete," can work wonders in reprogramming our internal monologue. I strongly encourage you to begin a practice of writing down those four words at least once a day.

I acknowledge this statement. But I can also attest that it is not effective for me. This is a larger issue relating to some younger years conditioning. 

• Like 3

On 4/15/2019 at 9:03 AM, Sylvaa said:

But how can I improve if I keep knocking myself down?

I have nothing to add to the actual conversation happening here, but this one line has gotten this song stuck in my head and now everyone has to suffer with me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, fleaball said:

I have nothing to add to the actual conversation happening here, but this one line has gotten this song stuck in my head and now everyone has to suffer with me. 

I saw your quote on my phone minus the video. I was hoping it was that song. Not disappointed.

Got to run outside last night, which makes me so happy. Then I went out to dinner with one of my co-workers. We found the Speakeasy I'd been told about, but weren't really dressed nice enough for it. We ended up a tasty bar / restaurant around the corner. The whole process did take up a fairly large amount of my night though. By the time I got back to the hotel, I just kind of chilled and fell asleep.

I'm updating my second post with my trackings. They aren't really exciting, but they are there if anyone is curious.

• Like 6