• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sylvaa

[Sylvaa] Is An Athlete

Oh, also....

If anyone ever reads my threads and thinks, "man, Sylvaa really seems to have her life together," I want to tell you a story. Yesterday, I went to the bathroom (as one does when one drinks ridiculous amounts of water) and my zipper broke. Like, stuck in the down position, not budging, STUCK. Luckily, it was near the end of the day and my shirt was long enough to cover it, but guess who has to go pants shopping this weekend now?!

• Like 4
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Oh, also....

If anyone ever reads my threads and thinks, "man, Sylvaa really seems to have her life together," I want to tell you a story. Yesterday, I went to the bathroom (as one does when one drinks ridiculous amounts of water) and my zipper broke. Like, stuck in the down position, not budging, STUCK. Luckily, it was near the end of the day and my shirt was long enough to cover it, but guess who has to go pants shopping this weekend now?!

OH NO!!! :D:D that's just awful!!!  My pants have declared war against my decency a few times. I hope you find an awesome pair of pants, and that they're on sale for extra bonus!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

Oh, also....

Oh man... Like... I want to laugh, but that could have been really embarrassing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

Looking on the bright side, it is better to be stuck down than up ;).

Having said that, pants are the most annoying articles of clothes to shop for, since it so much depends on your body-shape. Good luck!

(Also, following...)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I'm updating my second post with my trackings. They aren't really exciting, but they are there if anyone is curious.

You know I like it. :)

3 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Yesterday, I went to the bathroom (as one does when one drinks ridiculous amounts of water) and my zipper broke. Like, stuck in the down position, not budging, STUCK. Luckily, it was near the end of the day and my shirt was long enough to cover it, but guess who has to go pants shopping this weekend now?! 

Dealing with unanticipated catastrophe so smoothly is the very definition of having your life together.  B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Why do people speak so poorly about LaCroix, but no one ever mentions that Watermelon Perrier tastes like someone tried to filter sparkling water through the watermelon rind?

On 4/17/2019 at 10:27 AM, Waanie said:

Looking on the bright side, it is better to be stuck down than up ;).

Having said that, pants are the most annoying articles of clothes to shop for, since it so much depends on your body-shape. Good luck!

(Also, following...)

I hope everyone was able to have a good laugh at the expense of my pants (truly! I also saw the humor in it). I actually have a fair amount of luck with work clothes, so it won't be a horrible experience - you know other than the actual having to go shopping. 

The gym last night was fairly fun. I did the "running" part on the elliptical as I'd run Monday and Tuesday already, but I got through all of the stuff I was supposed to do. I also ended up eating dinner later than expected because my normal Wednesday night dinner spot was hosting a Pints for Parkinson's party. When I initially walked over they were super crowded, but by the time I went back to eat I was able to get a table. The table meant I did not get served by my bartender, but I dealt. I think he was still able to arrange my drink though, as I got a very large pint (like an English pint, not an American pint) and someone brought me a second one that they said was what I ordered, but they were very obviously two different beers (I did not keep the second one). It was odd. 

I'm slowly training myself to associate my bartender with a salad (it's a tasty salad, so this isn't negative). I really wanted tacos and fries for dinner yesterday, but I stayed strong. 

• Like 12

On 4/17/2019 at 8:27 AM, Sylvaa said:

We ended up a tasty bar / restaurant around the corner.

Haven't clicked over to page 2 to see if I'm the only one but I totally read titty bar...

Here, late, following... :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RES said:

Haven't clicked over to page 2 to see if I'm the only one but I totally read titty bar...

Here, late, following... :lol: 

You were the only one who commented that way, but I expect nothing less.

This weekend was kind of a bust in regards to healthy goals. It was raining badly enough Friday that we skipped the gym, only got in one weekend workout (Saturday C25K), and I ate a TON more than I should have (two meals I overate). Of course the scale decided to show that this morning. I know logically I didn't gain 3 pounds over the weekend, but I probably could have! Luckily week 1 starts today and I don't miss Monday's. 

I did get more cleaning done this weekend than I have the previous ones, which is not only nice, but necessary. 

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Obligatory baby picture from this weekend.

70c70697f697c722767852a3bf5ea5b4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

“I am here to greet the peasants, since I MUST” scoffed the baby :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:08 PM, Sylvaa said:

Very relevant. I do want to view myself as an athlete. 

I love being an Adventurer and a Guild Leader and a member of NF. But they aren't necessarily helpful to my goals. And honestly, while everyone is so supportive here, I need an additional level of personal accountability because I personally use the whole, "get back on the wagon" way too frequently. I need a driver to help me cultivate discipline and I believe that believing in myself as an athlete will help me do so. 

Simply awesome doesn't work for me. My internal monologue has certain hard stops and that is one of them. 

Which one are you doing? They are so much fun!

As I read this, I flashed to a book I recently read: Atomic Habits by James Clear.

I would recommend it. There is a section in there on the relationship between habits and identity.

“Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become. No single instance will transform your beliefs, but as the votes build up, so does the evidence of your new identity.”

Honestly, it sounds like you're an athlete already. To me, being an athlete is about the drive to improve and be better.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mae45 said:

As I read this, I flashed to a book I recently read: Atomic Habits by James Clear.

Thanks for the book recommendation. I'm not one for reading that improves my life, but I probably should start reading something more than the trashy romances I normally choose. It actually sounds pretty similar to a lot of the NFA mindset components.

Yesterday was fairly normal and uneventful. I'm struggling a bit to figure out how to track workouts, so help is needed. My workouts go in phases. So the weekly workouts are similar, but then have small changes. For example, the workout last night was done at an 8% incline. Last weeks workout was 2:00 at Zone 3, 2:00 at Zone 2, 2:00 at Zone 4, 2:00 at Zone 2. This week, it was 2:30 at Zone's 3 and 4. I need a way to track what my speed is for each zone so I can adjust the next weeks workout. It's not as "pretty" to put into a workout log like the dumbbell snatches and deadlifts later were. 

• Like 10

sometimes I think I'm far too Stuck to the idea of a guild.

I mean I picked "rangers" eons ago, because I think of my fitness program as varied.   but I'm sure with my Big hiking challenge (walk 100miles in 50 hours); and ALL the hiking I'm doing for it- I'm sure I'm as much an adventurer as anyone and prolly fit the description of a "scout", too....

and anyways; I spend most of my time going to my notifications, so I really don't HAVE to be stick, solely, to my guild.

your doing a c25k* and live in Pa, right?  we have loads in common, then.

I'm following you for the challenge.

as to the feeling that you are NOT an athlete.  I feel that way, as well.  perhaps it robs us from motivation... but Identity is tricky business.

the feelings about your identity might be some of the most personal, intense feelings you have.

so my advice is to seek acceptance of those feelings and carefully work through what you want to change.   I'm sure in time you an be more comfortable about who you are.  for now, its enough that you a "rebel".  that you inspire people and seeks out fitness, and a healthy lifestyle.

surely that commitment is a really, really big deal.

we're all here for each other. sorry I've been a little slow to bust out of my guild to see that. following!

*ps.  well, actually the c25k was last year. at a given point it started to conflict with my Hiking challenge training.  this year- I have also been training for the hiking challenge and I think that, once most of that training is complete I will be starting again to run.  I don't know that I'll strictly conform to a c25k- but I know I will be using run-walks to get back to running shape.

• Like 6

On 4/22/2019 at 1:54 PM, Sylvaa said:

You were the only one who commented that way, but I expect nothing less.

it's almost expected of me at this point ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It’s hard to hold you accountable for your “back in the wagon” antics because I’m too busy doing the exact same thing. Constantly. Especially when it comes to desserts because dear gods do I love dessert when I’m stressed or when it’s around. 

Athlete, adventurer, guild, it’s all identity and framing for me. My workouts probably fall more in line with warriors, scouts, or rangers but my goals are what make me an adventurer. I wasn’t involved in any one organized sport for most of my pre-diagnosis adult life but I considered myself an athlete and trained as such. Professional? No. But athlete, yes!

You're definitely an athlete. 

Maybe we should hold each other more accountable, but I’m not sure how to do that. Probably a good discussion for us to have though!

• Like 4

agreed that "accountability" can only be applied in the most genial and supportive way. it can be SO hard to live up to our goals and aspirations!  but if we do not "aim" high?  that can be bad too.

for the sake of discussion. I think that accountability in the Rebellion sense- means that we support each other enough to inquire how a person is doing on their goal.  its (initially) 50% curiousity, 35% cheerleading type of encouragement with just a tiny bit of hope that the person is improving.

and that degree of Hope changes; grows as the relationship deepens.

once I devote a fair amount of time talking with a person challenge after challenge I consider myself more of a friend and more able to personally encourage that person.

.... this kind of relationship (for me) seems a two way thing and I always get more personally involved with a person who's stalking my challenge.

perhaps- THIS is the point of the rebellion?

people , despite the internet, becoming friends and slowly piercing the anonymity of the internet to encourage each other to improve their life and rebel against the Unhealthy modern lifestyle.

----

at any rate; if its hard to improve and hard to hold people accountable- it can be a bit of a fight to just be on here.  there's SO much to do.

last year- I left the boards for 6 months.

personal progress vanished!  that was my personal witness that this is important and worth a true commitment. 

I'm loving this conversation guys.  clearly I'm not the only one to have thoughts about getting a little away from the guilds and adopt a more powerful, broad identity.  "athlete" is certainly a very ambitious word.  is there any wonder that it can be hard to adopt?

• Like 6

13 hours ago, RES said:

it's almost expected of me at this point ;) 

FTFY.

I love our conversations in here guys. It's so awesome (and kind of random, but that's definitely me). Part of this whole athlete thing comes from an article I read recently about being an athlete vs being an exerciser. And I wasn't a fan of the full article, so I'm not going to link it, but the general gist was that people can workout regularly and be exercisers, but there needs to be an additional oomph to be an athlete. Mainly around competing and the goal of improving. Not that exercisers don't want to improve, but that their improvements are not as focused. I would say that I generally fall into the exerciser category and to an extent, I'm okay with that. But on the other hand, I pay a good bit of money to run races and I want to make it worthwhile to pay that money out. If that makes sense? But I definitely have a mental block around considering myself an athlete because I see all of these people who are better than me and I think I'll never be as good as them. So I'm trying to find that line for me - where I make the transition from exerciser to athlete - and I don't know exactly where that is.

10 minutes ago, TGP said:

once I devote a fair amount of time talking with a person challenge after challenge I consider myself more of a friend and more able to personally encourage that person.

.... this kind of relationship (for me) seems a two way thing and I always get more personally involved with a person who's stalking my challenge.

This is truly what I've taken from the Rebellion. The friends that I have made. It's definitely what brings me back time after time - seeing my friends improve and find out what is going on in their lives. It's why people continue to post, even when they are struggling and is so important. It's like triple important for me, because I am not a people person. Surprising, right? I'm actually pretty quiet and not really one to talk to people I don't know. 

8 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Maybe we should hold each other more accountable, but I’m not sure how to do that. Probably a good discussion for us to have though!

This is a good discussion to have. I wonder if we should start an Adventurer Accountability post. Like, I need to finish "x" before this day - check in with me! Or something? 

Update:

Life on the road is fairly status quo for me. I'm still being more unproductive than I should, but not as bad as I was. Working out and eating as healthy as I can are continuing. Last night, I went out to eat with my coworkers, so I missed my C25K workout. But I made the conscious decision not to drink alcohol, went back to my room after dinner, and knocked out some yoga. This is like a triple win for me as I'm not a yoga person. I did stay up too late, but meh. I got to work on time, so does anyone really lose? :) 

• Like 11

I think one needs to be able to communicate support needs for accountability purposes. Right now, I feel like there’s a lot of encouragement and conversation which is perfect for me. I don’t like to be pushed, personally. It makes me stupid-stubborn, and I won’t accomplish my goals just to spite the pusher.  And that’s just my needs, I need to feel like each step is completely my choice and in my control. Which is probably something I could reflect on more, but I don’t want to. :D

You tell me what you need, and I’ll be here for you :love_heart:

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

This is a good discussion to have. I wonder if we should start an Adventurer Accountability post. Like, I need to finish "x" before this day - check in with me! Or something? 

Seems like it could be worth a shot?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I love our conversations in here guys. It's so awesome (and kind of random, but that's definitely me). Part of this whole athlete thing comes from an article I read recently about being an athlete vs being an exerciser. And I wasn't a fan of the full article, so I'm not going to link it, but the general gist was that people can workout regularly and be exercisers, but there needs to be an additional oomph to be an athlete. Mainly around competing and the goal of improving. Not that exercisers don't want to improve, but that their improvements are not as focused. I would say that I generally fall into the exerciser category and to an extent, I'm okay with that. But on the other hand, I pay a good bit of money to run races and I want to make it worthwhile to pay that money out. If that makes sense? But I definitely have a mental block around considering myself an athlete because I see all of these people who are better than me and I think I'll never be as good as them. So I'm trying to find that line for me - where I make the transition from exerciser to athlete - and I don't know exactly where that is.

I think the whole athlete/exerciser thing (at least on my part) is a self-congratulatory thing to separate oneself from what we see as mindless drones cruising on the elliptical watching reality TV and doing the same partial-rep chest and bis workout for years without improvement. I mean I remember the old "Overheard at the Gym" thread that I kept suggesting to be closed-down because all it did was nurture an air of superiority in our community, which is the antithesis of what we're about in the first place. "Life's greatest comfort is being able to look over your shoulder and see people worse off, waiting in line behind you." (Palahniuk) One thing for me definitely was transitioning out of being an athlete and having to accept that. It used to be such a big part of my identity and it's difficult to let go of. Like Al Bundy and Uncle Rico. Currently I keep training and I keep competing, but I'm not getting calls from my coach every day to get my ass to the gym because his paycheck depends on me winning the fight. I also recently realized that my competition usually wants to win way more than I do. I do it for fun, and I found that I won't even work too hard to win.

It's all arbitrary labels anyway, but when it comes down to it, I'm okay being a hobbyist/exerciser. Maximizing enjoyment is my priority, and I think that's a worthwhile goal.

• Like 7

I think we need a new word , somewhere between athlete and exerciser. Someone who exercises with intention to continually improve oneself. Someone who sets training goals and works hard to achieve them. Maybe amateur athlete ? That doesn't have much ring to it. Not sure where I fit. I don't work as hard (or have the desire to) as an athlete, as I matter of fact I never compete against anyone, but I do take it more seriously than the exerciser.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Right now, I feel like there’s a lot of encouragement and conversation which is perfect for me. I don’t like to be pushed, personally. It makes me stupid-stubborn, and I won’t accomplish my goals just to spite the pusher.

I love this. It is great to note that we are all different... me? I need a good square kick in the butt now and again to keep going. But I also need the encouragement and support that I can get from here.

On the athlete exerciser thing, when I first started getting back into shape a few years ago, I remember I was just starting to feel self conscious while running. I made sure to run at night or on back roads where no one else would see me. I was afraid of the "athletes." Then I read an essay where the author was a competitive long distance runner. He wrote it as a letter to the overweight woman running on the same track as him, basically saying, "I know how hard it is for you to come out to the same track as me and run. I'm so proud of you and you should be too." It was much better than that, but two days later, with that still in my head. I was running, doing pretty well for my level, and a "real" runner came from in front of me, smiled and said, "Great job! Keep going."

That completely changed how I felt about myself and my exercising. Fast-forward a year and I'm that guy, saying the same thing to a struggling runner. I wish he could know how much that affected me, how it motivated me to judge myself on the me of yesterday and not the guy who has been running for years. Exerciser or athlete, we are all pushing to be better. If the word athlete makes you feel like you are striving for something better, then use that word. If you feel like it is holding you back, then don't use it. But it is your choice. What works for me may not work for you, and what worked for you last year may not work for you now. 

Sorry to write a novel here... back to lurking!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

I think we need a new word , somewhere between athlete and exerciser. Someone who exercises with intention to continually improve oneself. Someone who sets training goals and works hard to achieve them. Maybe amateur athlete ? That doesn't have much ring to it. Not sure where I fit. I don't work as hard (or have the desire to) as an athlete, as I matter of fact I never compete against anyone, but I do take it more seriously than the exerciser.

Not a word, but a phrase: Nerd Fitness Member.

• Like 8