• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sylvaa

[Sylvaa] Is An Athlete

On 4/25/2019 at 9:10 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Wait, WHAT?!?

On 4/26/2019 at 9:39 AM, Sylvaa said:

I also have questions. Also, I'm so glad you are back (at least partly) on the forums! 

My old college campus was by a riverbank. Upstream was mountains and jungles. I routinely did my roadwork by the river, and on that particular day it was low tide. I just spotted something banked on the shore with what looked like hair and packaging tape. Usually the Amazon Catfish overpopulating those waters eat up anything you throw down there. Didn't think too much of it until later when the cops were there. (I was probably too tired. I tend to run hard.)

On 4/26/2019 at 9:39 AM, Sylvaa said:

Like seriously smart people are pretty weird. So many of them led such a strange childhood that most aren't very well socialized as adults and a lot lose their identities after getting out of school.

Imagine always being surrounded by morons.

On 4/26/2019 at 12:50 PM, Sciread77 said:

What if I’ve dropped like 60 points in IQ? It’s an exaggeration yeah, but the point remains.

I'm thinking about this. I'm pretty sure all those concussions and choke-outs have done a number on my brain. Haha

On 4/29/2019 at 11:49 AM, Sylvaa said:

I also need to practice getting over walls by myself.

This is easy to me, but I find it impossible to teach. In a Spartan Race I literally jump and grab the wall with one hand, then my legs just go over the wall. I have no idea how to explain it.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Machete said:

This is easy to me, but I find it impossible to teach. In a Spartan Race I literally jump and grab the wall with one hand, then my legs just go over the wall. I have no idea how to explain it.

Yeah, I know the technique - it's just a matter of getting comfortable with it. The last time I tried, I didn't have the best shoes on (they just slipped while trying to get up the side of the wall), which made it funky. I'm tall enough I shouldn't struggle that much, I am pretty sure it's just a mental thing more than a physical. The wall itself is a mental thing for me anyway. I have issues asking for help on the higher walls as I'm convinced I'm going to end up hurting someone if they help me. 

I've updated my tracking, but have kind of been not as active as I'd like this week on the forums. I've actually been focusing more on working through the work day (who would have thought!?) and then rarely open my computer in the evenings. 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I have issues asking for help on the higher walls as I'm convinced I'm going to end up hurting someone if they help me. 

I can confirm that this is your main problem! :P 

• Haha 2

It's the time in this challenge where Sylvaa decides a lot of things aren't working for her and switches it up a bit. 

Food Tracking: food tracking is really hard for me on the road. I tend to eat at places that make their own food and don't list calorie counts. I'm also getting frustrated at keeping my calories "tracked" and not seeing scale differences. I'm going to attempt to transition to a quasi-intuitive eating type process. It'll be more restrictive than as written because I can't not be. (Waiting for Tank to swoop in here and say differently :P ). Instead of tracking calories, I'm going to track overall eating awareness. Did I eat too much? Was I satisfied? Did I make good choices?

I'm also going to start tracking alcohol. I'm a regular, but not often drinker (I generally drink between 1 and 3 glasses of wine or beer a week). The issue is that on the weekends, it is super easy to convince me to go to our favorite brewery for dinner and a beer or two. So if I start tracking, it usually naturally makes me want to limit. This should help my waistline AND our budget. 

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Instead of tracking calories, I'm going to track overall eating awareness. Did I eat too much? Was I satisfied? Did I make good choices?

I like this plan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Food Tracking: food tracking is really hard for me on the road. I tend to eat at places that make their own food and don't list calorie counts. I'm also getting frustrated at keeping my calories "tracked" and not seeing scale differences. I'm going to attempt to transition to a quasi-intuitive eating type process. It'll be more restrictive than as written because I can't not be. (Waiting for Tank to swoop in here and say differently :P ). Instead of tracking calories, I'm going to track overall eating awareness. Did I eat too much? Was I satisfied? Did I make good choices?

FWIW I really like the app YouAte for this - you take a picture of your meal and answer a few questions about how you felt before/after the meal.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2019 at 10:25 PM, NeverThatBored said:

FWIW I really like the app YouAte for this - you take a picture of your meal and answer a few questions about how you felt before/after the meal.

I will look into this!

Update: guys - I got my box of free stuff - it's crazy the amount of things they sent me! I was anticipating a box of their "pre-workout" single packs (for me to take on the road) and MAYBE a normal sized container of the stuff. They sent me two containers, a box of the single packs, protein powder, endurance greens (it's primarily added to water during long runs / races), and some nitric oxide tabs. I'm actually super excited about this and now feel like I've really got to start putting in some time.

I also talked to my husband, I am signing up at the local Y sometime this weekend (as it's part of the bulk fitness center membership we pay for through my insurance) to start using it also. Planet Fitness does work out okay for me for my workouts, but I do want to start incorporating some more swimming and / or lifting. Too many workouts, not enough time. But I am going to do a Triathlon this year, so it is what it is. My daughter has also decided she wants to start going to the gym and PF is doing free summer memberships for teens, so there is that too. 

I'm feeling.... better. Work hasn't been as awful as it had been for a while, so I'm feeling a bit less "burn it down". We'll see how long this lasts.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Too many workouts, not enough time

Truer words were never spoken!

Update: guys - I got my box of free stuff - it's crazy the amount of things they sent me! I was anticipating a box of their "pre-workout" single packs (for me to take on the road) and MAYBE a normal sized container of the stuff. They sent me two containers, a box of the single packs, protein powder, endurance greens (it's primarily added to water during long runs / races), and some nitric oxide tabs. I'm actually super excited about this and now feel like I've really got to start putting in some time.

Have you tasted it to make sure it's not gross?? :P

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

Not yet! I am going to try it for the first time this evening. More to follow....

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 2:30 PM, Sylvaa said:

I typically hate using the scale as a measure of progress. These two guys weigh the same amount.

Spoiler

mission_2013_crop.jpg

2013. 193lb. Wow. Just wow.

Also, I've always thought the tee-shirt meant "I'm with Lego Star Wars EPII Obi-Wan Kenobi"

tank_wedding_crop.jpg

2017. 193lb. Dressed for a slightly different occasion.

I use a different metric called "How do those clothes fit"

PF is doing free summer memberships for teens

*record scratch*

Stop right there. One mile from my driveway. The kids aren't going to like me much this summer.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, EricMN said:

I use a different metric called "How do those clothes fit"

Yeah, I need to bite the bullet and retake measurements honestly. But I don't think that is what it is at all. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm at that point where I'm within the generally acceptable range for my height, but it's very much a mental thing for me too. 

I also am fully admitting that I have let my nutrition back slide a lot recently. I got comfortable and that's where I falter. Too many sweets and alcohol allowances are my downfall. 

9 minutes ago, EricMN said:

*record scratch*

Stop right there. One mile from my driveway. The kids aren't going to like me much this summer.

They do have to be 15 and above. So don't get too excited yet (IIRC, aren't yours a little younger than that?).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sylvaa said:
4 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Not yet! I am going to try it for the first time this evening. More to follow....

If inquiring minds are curious, it does not taste like dirt. It does look like I am drinking the blood of my enemies though!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Yeah, I need to bite the bullet and retake measurements honestly. But I don't think that is what it is at all. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm at that point where I'm within the generally acceptable range for my height, but it's very much a mental thing for me too. 

I also am fully admitting that I have let my nutrition back slide a lot recently. I got comfortable and that's where I falter. Too many sweets and alcohol allowances are my downfall. 

You're preaching to the choir. I could have written this.

19 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

They do have to be 15 and above. So don't get too excited yet (IIRC, aren't yours a little younger than that?).

The boy is 16. The girl won't turn 15 until November, but she looks 17. If they don't ask for an ID, I'm signing her up.

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Seems familiar..., I bet I can name the guy in the green shirt and the guy with the plaid.

Still one of the best weekends I've had in a while. I thought about posting the whole pic, and I know it's been posted before, but I would have wanted everyone in it to give their OK first and I was too impatient for that. :)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, EricMN said:

You're preaching to the choir. I could have written this.

Sounds like some accountability nonsense right there! I did already tell my husband that I want him to help me with measurements this weekend, so it might actually happen. We actually went to the store to grab a few things we forgot for dinner yesterday and we didn't pick up dessert, which was a huge win for us. We all love dessert, so it's hard to personally be strong. We were also going to be going to pick up our case of wine this weekend, but I think I messed up our plans (we subscribe to a case club, where we get 4 cases a year. It sounds like a ton, but we still have half of our last case here - some is going to be sitting for at least the next year. My daughter got invited to a party this Saturday, so I offered to take her boyfriend to work so she could go. Which means that we can't hit the winery between my son's driving test and taking him to work).

17 minutes ago, EricMN said:

The boy is 16. The girl won't turn 15 until November, but she looks 17. If they don't ask for an ID, I'm signing her up.

My local PF needed a photo ID to sign them up, but they were accepting a school ID. You could probably get away with it, since chances are they won't know what grade a 15 year old should be in anyway (unless your school's ID's include birthdays). 

Update:

• Updating my tomato goal to 8 daily hasn't been too much of a struggle, other than Mondays (due to travel). This week, the plane was empty enough it was pretty easy to work on the plane, which definitely helped. 
  • Sleep has been kind of hit or miss. This past week, I didn't turn the tv on as much in the evenings, which helps a lot. I got in a habit of watching certain shows on Monday and Tuesday and I need to get a bit away from that if I actually want to hit this goal consistently. 
  • Water is something that I need to keep as a goal just because I start slacking if I don't. 
  • I will be going to the local OCR place this Sunday. The only reason I won't go, is if they close due to weather. 
  • I'm also volunteering at a 5K tomorrow morning. 
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

You sound very busy. You sure you're not really a Ranger? ;) 

Rangers want to make everyone else Rangers! 

In all seriousness, I'll never actually leave the comfort of my Adventurer's, because I know and love these people and it is so less daunting than the 4+ pages of Rangers that post. But yes, I have Ranger, Scout, and Warrior tendencies. I started with Adventurer's because of my love of being outdoors and trails, so I made my nest here. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Rangers want to make everyone else Rangers! 

Haha! So true. I have a feeling all of you Adventurers have a tendency towards what we call "Rangerbrain," the need to attempt way more than we can ever do.

(And not trying to recruit, really. Just making an observation)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

Haha! So true. I have a feeling all of you Adventurers have a tendency towards what we call "Rangerbrain," the need to attempt way more than we can ever do.

(And not trying to recruit, really. Just making an observation)

Honestly, I think that's true of most people on the forums. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

You sound very busy. You sure you're not really a Ranger? ;) 

I think most of us choose Adventurer for our tendency to seek adventure and then we train more like Rangers. Personally, I thought long and hard between the two. 

And probably being a regular in the forum means you’re already a person striving for self-improvement. We’re a pretty biased population sample simply based on self-selection into this sort of thing. 

• Like 5

I suppose I should update a bit:

• Saturday morning, I volunteered to throw color for a color run. It was fun, but not. I got grouped with two guys who were not the type of people I choose to be around, which was super annoying. There was also a lady and her daughter in our group, which turned out better. I also spoke to two people about potential jobs in my area (versus traveling). I've already applied, so we'll see if anything happens with that.
  • My son passed his driving test on Saturday also! He had gone before, but did not pass (long story, but I think a lot of it had to do with the instructor), so we are super relieved that he passed. He's also now job hunting.
  • Sunday I went to a workout at the local OCR place (not the one that is equidistant from us NTB). It was pouring, so we did it inside - it was circuit training. I had a lot of fun and got to push a sled around a bit. 
  • Like 9

On 5/9/2019 at 5:25 PM, Sylvaa said:

If inquiring minds are curious, it does not taste like dirt. It does look like I am drinking the blood of my enemies though!

I'm okay with being viewed in this manner...did I miss where you talked about what this was?

On 5/13/2019 at 2:18 PM, Sylvaa said:

I got grouped with two guys who were not the type of people I choose to be around

I work with people like this...good thing it's a big ballpark :lol: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RES said:

I'm okay with being viewed in this manner...did I miss where you talked about what this was?

I'm potentially doing some social media marketing for a company. They sent me a bunch of free product, then they want me to document via social media how my performance improves while using their product. I've not wanted to make it seem like I'm selling anything so I haven't named the company, but I'll throw it in spoilers if anyone is curious.

Spoiler

HumanN. They make Beet Elite, which (if you follow any OCR stuff) is endorsed by Ryan Atkins, Lindsey Webster, Amelia Boone, and Yancy Culp. 

Since I'm doing Yancy's online training, he reached out to his group about this as a social media experiment and I was selected to participate. I did a front end interview with a lady from the company, and I'm going to be doing Instagram posts with #'s about my progress / how it impacts my workouts.

@Loyster (does he still even post here?) Fun fact - last night at dinner I randomly ended up sitting next to one of our people. (Don't worry, I'm going to explain). My maiden name isn't super common, but above is tagged because he shares it. I'm sitting next to this guy at dinner that introduces himself to the guy next to him and it turns out it's the same last name. It was a really cool conversation because a lot of the things I'd gown up hearing about my family are similar to things he had heard. It was also super interesting because I'd always heard that out family was primarily German in origin (which is what he had heard), but then this guy got a DNA test and it showed like ZERO German - almost entirely English (like 81%). 

I haven't updated my tracking, but everything is actually going really really well. My workouts feel like they are finally starting to get easier, which means it's time to start working harder. I'm not sure if it's related to the pre-workout or not, but I'm going to take what I can get. This is the second workout in a row I've done over 2 miles at 15% incline on the treadmill. #quadsfordays. 

I've also not been around here as much because I've been actually WORKING AT WORK (who knew this was a thing?!). It's been nice to not be quite so stressed, but I do still have a bunch of balls up in the air. 

• Like 10