• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Cheetah

Cheetah isn't worried.

1.  Practice Mindful Eating Every Day

2.  Exercise Every Weekday

3.  Post an Update at Least Monday through Thursday.

I'll post later and expand on this, but thems the goals.

Happy Challenge!

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Salinger said:

Happy Challenge Cheetah!! Your goals look solid. :) excited to see you crush them xx

Hello!  Me too!

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following.

Welcome!

2 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

Excellent goals. Good luck!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, shaar said:

YEAH NO MO EXCUSES WOOOOOO

sorry hi :DDD

HAI! 

1 hour ago, deftona said:

I like your no nonsense goals! Following along!

Thanks, and welcome!

• Like 2

Okay, so I'll try not to be too long-winded about it, but I did want to say a little about where I am with these goals.  They're on-going and pretty much carry forward from the last couple of challenges.

1 - Food - Mindful Eating is still working for me.  My size seems to have stabilized, which is not bad, and it's a low-stress approach which is good.  I do still need to practice and get better at it.  To be honest, last challenge I gave myself some credit for doing this when I wasn't really, so this time I'm tightening up a little bit on how I define mindful eating for myself.  To me it means 4 things

- Honor hunger by eating before I get too crazy hungry

- Honor fullness by eating slowly enough that I can sense when I've had enough and stop there (this is the hardest part)

- Honor taste by eating food that I enjoy and not eating low-quality crap just because it's there

- Honor nutrition by making healthy food choices.  This is a little vague, but it basically means eat mostly whole foods and plenty of fresh veggies and fruits.

On a day when I do all four of those things all day, I'll count a win.  During the last challenge, most of my failures with this have been eating out of habit rather than mindfulness.  So this really is just a matter of replacing a poor habit with a better habit.  Easy to say, harder to do, takes lots of practice.  Progress, not perfection, and all of that, but I aim to accumulate as many wins as I can.

2 - Exercise - I really have fallen out of discipline.  This is where the excuses have been coming in heavy.  There are so many reasons not to bother working out, and honestly I think there may be mental health factors at work, and since exercising helps with that, the not exercising becomes a self-perpetuating downward spiral.  I need to snap out of it.  Any exercise counts.  But I have to get back to doing it almost every day.  Sundays are a rest day, and Saturdays I can take a pass sometimes, but the rest of the week I have the time and I just have to do it.

3 - Posting - It's been harder to make time.  Some of that is legit, because I've been stupid busy at work lately.  But I can still at least get on and report on how I've done with food and exercise, almost every day.  I need the accountability, and this is the place I get it.

I think that's about it.  So far I'm doing good with food today, and I'm going to get some pushups in tonight on my breaks.  I'll report back when that mission is accomplished.

• Like 9

Monday update.

Food was good.  I had egg and avocado on toast, some leftover pot roast and potatoes, mushrooms and an apple, an oatmeal bar and a little bit of snack mix.  At the very end of the night I was still a little hungry and zingers seemed like the thing I needed so I went with it.

I did not end up exercising.  I had intended to do some push-ups during a break, but I didn't.  I feel so tired and weak, I'm not sure how I'll have the energy to do anything today. 

Lately I've been feeling physically wiped out.  More excuses?  I don't sleep enough, does that make it legit?  Will my energy level go back up if I exercise more, or will I just be more tired?  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Will my energy level go back up if I exercise more, or will I just be more tired? 

Seems like there is an easy way to find out... ;) 

9 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Lately I've been feeling physically wiped out.  More excuses?  I don't sleep enough, does that make it legit?  Will my energy level go back up if I exercise more, or will I just be more tired?  

I think this depends on why you're so tired. Are you not getting enough quantity of sleep, or is it that you're going to bed early enough it's just the quality that isn't there? I find if I am burning the candle at both ends working out makes me feel worse, but if it's that I am having trouble falling or staying asleep, exercise usually helps. 

7 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Seems like there is an easy way to find out... ;) 

I knew someone would say that.  :-)

1 hour ago, deftona said:

I think this depends on why you're so tired. Are you not getting enough quantity of sleep, or is it that you're going to bed early enough it's just the quality that isn't there? I find if I am burning the candle at both ends working out makes me feel worse, but if it's that I am having trouble falling or staying asleep, exercise usually helps. 

The reason I'm always tired is that I go to bed at about 12.30 am and get back up at 6 am. every weekday.  Fortunately, I don't have any trouble at all with quality of sleep, I simply don't get enough quantity of sleep.  On the weekends I catch up a little bit so Mondays are not as bad, but the rest of the week I'm pretty much slogging through, and by Friday I'm just dragging my sorry butt through the day.  It's really really hard to be motivated to exercise when all I want to do is lie down.

Having said all that, I did get a brief workout today.  I did 6 rounds of alternating 10 KB swings and 10 pushups with about half a minute rest between rounds.  I don't know if I feel any more or less tired tonight, but my muscles have that happy we've-been-at-it feeling so that's a good thing.  Is there a word for that feeling?  It's my favorite thing about working out and I bet it has a name.

So far today food has been good.  Pot roast again, but I think pot roast is on my list of things I could never get tired of, right next to chili.  I should make some chili next week; it's been a while.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

The reason I'm always tired is that I go to bed at about 12.30 am and get back up at 6 am. every weekday. 

My skeleton trembles reading this.  Man two days of your sleep schedule and I would be dead dot com. ;_;

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shaar said:

My skeleton trembles reading this.  Man two days of your sleep schedule and I would be dead dot com. ;_;

I appreciate your sympathies.  Some day I'll get back on a day shift.  Then I'll have so much energy I won't know what to do with myself!  For now all I can do is KBO.

12 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

I appreciate your sympathies.  Some day I'll get back on a day shift.  Then I'll have so much energy I won't know what to do with myself!  For now all I can do is KBO.

You mean, KBA???

(Keep Being Awesome???) :DDD

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shaar said:

You mean, KBA???

(Keep Being Awesome???) :DDD

Kangaroo Bubblegum Oppression.  Obviously.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Update

Food ended up not being good last night.  I got the tiredness munchies and hit the snackateria for mixed nuts and such.  Not the worst thing ever, but it was not mindful.  Weariness makes mindfulness much more difficult, is what I'm finding out.

I did exercise today.  I was poking around under Kari's hood and discovered that her air filter was in a terrible state.  Rather than bold her hood back down to drive the .5 mile to the parts store, I aired up the tires on my bicycle and went for the first ride of the year.  It felt really good and made me very happy.  :-)  I also did some aggressive weeding in the flower beds while listening to gangster rap so that's exercise as well.

I got a lot done today.  Studenting, vehicle maintenance, dishes, food prep, weeding, and I've been plugging away at back-burner projects here at work.  I like productive days.  They make me feel more like I'm earning my keep.

Well, I'm off to refill my coffee cup.  It's a good thing the coffee is free.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Atrytone said:

Following. :) 

Hello and Welcome!

24 minutes ago, DaemonCorax said:

Following. I've been so out of it I missed that it was Week 0!

Howdy!  It sneaked up on me, too.  :-)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deftona said:

give yourself a break

Thank you, that was an interesting read!

I am trying to extend myself grace on the days I don't eat mindfully.  One of the things they address in the IE book is how to stop feeling bad about making food choices that are not ideal.  I've been working on that.  So, yesterday I had a misstep on my journey, like tripping on a tree root.  I don't have to feel bad about it, but I do want to make note of it, so I can try to keep an eye out for future roots. 

Unfortunately, being sleep deprived makes for a lot of tree roots.  But, all I can do is keep slogging on doing my best.  Mostly I'm okay with that.  :-)

• Like 3

Okay, so food today was much better.  What's the difference?  Well, the last few days when I've been struggling, I've been eating one big meal some time in the evening, without a good plan for what to do after that.  Today, I had a solid breakfast and a late-ish lunch at home, and packed up a snackbox dinner with lots of fresh fruit and veg to have at work.

Consulting with past data confirms - having freggies to munch on through the night is my path to victory.  When I've done this I've had good days.  When I haven't done it I've been on the strugglebus.  The correlation is clear.  So now I know what I have to do.

Blessedly, tomorrow is shopping day.  :-)

• Like 6